Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Hollismason posted:

Wrecking ball seems to be the new hotness though out of the codex, I mean it's like a D3 ST8 or something to something within I think 3 Inches so that's a pretty nice 10 point upgrade.

Ork codex isn't all bad.

It's a shooting weapon. So if you're lucky 1 hit a turn with a 3" range. For ten points. It's pretty crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SRM posted:

Not gonna lie, I kind of want to make an "elite" Ork army of ardboyz rolling around in trukks kitbashed with Tauroxes to make halftrakks, and have the whole army look like an Orky attempt at a realistic army. I think it would be fun to do them up as Blood Axes as the Tryhard Boyz.

You want the old 2nd edition Stormboy models.

If you don't mind the wermacht uniform that is.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So what's the good word on the Tempestus Scions were recently introduced to the game? Way back I posted about wanting to get into this hobby, but I wasn't able to do it due to silly real world obligations getting in the way.

Anyways! Now I have the time and I am trying to decide if they are worth the money. I like the idea of playing a deep striking army, (plus I like the models!) and I figure I could eventually turn them into allies of either the Imperial Guard or the Grey Knights down the road! However, I did some light reading on them and I guess the consensus is that they may not be the best group to start with. Is that true?

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 2, 2014

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
Scions are a pretty decent army, rules-wise, although they don't function terribly well by themselves once you get to larger (1500+pt) games. Taking Scions as a primary army and then allying in something else (IG, SM, etc) would be pretty fine, or vice versa. They are, however, pretty pricey overall- you're paying a pretty large number of dollars for each of those five-man squads, and you will probably want to add in some transports for them as well, which can add a lot more money.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lungboy posted:

Such a massive pain in the arse to paint though.

Yea, I've tried to do it, with masking tape, but unlike a wall or windowframe, the tape will take paint with it from the mode. Masking agent is a possibility, but I never tried.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Buggies!

I've painted my first warhammer unit in years.

I also started making modifications to my army! I took a bunch of my old nobs and flash gitz [made of black orcs] and down-verted them into hard boyz with sluggas. I replaced the 3 main Boss Nobs in my army with new models made of the nobz kit. I'd never bought that kit before, it's gorgeous. The heads look good on other orks, too, because they're so expressive. It's a little big, but not in a jarring way. Next week I'm gonna go get the flash gitz kit when it comes into my LGS, those are such beautiful models.

Tankbusta Nob [rokkit launcha, PK, bosspole]

Shoota Boy Nob [kombi-skorcha, PK, bosspole]

Hard Boyz Nob [kombi-skorcha, PK, bosspole]

I had such a blast modeling these guys. I think that's my favorite aspect of this hobby. The game kinda sucks sometimes.

. . . p.s, the buggies still pull-back-and-go. I lost 5 models grot-bowling with them. It was totally worth it.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 2, 2014

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Wrecking ball seems to be the new hotness though out of the codex, I mean it's like a D3 ST8 or something to something within I think 3 Inches so that's a pretty nice 10 point upgrade.

Ork codex isn't all bad.

It's a shooting attack though isn't it? So still needs 5s to hit

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Is it? I dunno I know some people pointed it out as like not completely awful. Man, the Ork Codex is rough. I reallly hope they get something with Dataslates.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Is it? I dunno I know some people pointed it out as like not completely awful. Man, the Ork Codex is rough. I reallly hope they get something with Dataslates.

I'll be playing my first games with it tomorrow. I'll post my findings.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
The one strength I see in the codex right now is what Ralph pointed out, that you can easily flood the field with low armor vehicles. The tax for running a second detachment can be stupidly low (2x Grots and a Big mek =105 points) which means if you just want to be a fucker and spam one of your other slots it's really easy.

You could do a battle forged army with 57 Buggies 4 Big Meks and 80 Grots for 1845 points. That is a poo poo load of outflanking TL firepower (I'd probably take a few TL bigshooters to mop poo poo up after the rokkits have killed everything big).

Edit: You could also fit 30 buggies and 30 kannons in a list with only 2 detachments and still have a few points left over to gently caress around. I really want to try something silly like that to see if it's effective at all.

CyberLord XP fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 2, 2014

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Those buggies are FANTASTIC, Ignite Memories.

How are Deff Dreds and the other big stompy units? I like the idea of fielding big ramshackle mechs, but I don't really have enough familiarity with 40k to know if the statlines are any good.

I know, a new player! Bizarre, huh?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Taking a Reinforced Ram on a Battlewagon is still a good idea, right? Deffrolla's got nerfed hard, but they're also only half the points. Is it worth the extra 5 points to go from a Ram to a 'Rolla in any conceivable way?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CyberLord XP posted:

The one strength I see in the codex right now is what Ralph pointed out, that you can easily flood the field with low armor vehicles. The tax for running a second detachment can be stupidly low (2x Grots and a Big mek =105 points) which means if you just want to be a fucker and spam one of your other slots it's really easy.

You could do a battle forged army with 57 Buggies 4 Big Meks and 80 Grots for 1845 points. That is a poo poo load of outflanking TL firepower (I'd probably take a few TL bigshooters to mop poo poo up after the rokkits have killed everything big).

Edit: You could also fit 30 buggies and 30 kannons in a list with only 2 detachments and still have a few points left over to gently caress around. I really want to try something silly like that to see if it's effective at all.

Man, I originally read buggies as trukks for some reason and was really, really confused. :psyduck:

If you can pull off something like this with proxies, go for it. I imagine 57 buggies would be absolutely hilarious even if they were ineffective. And that's Orky as hell. :orks101:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Taking a Reinforced Ram on a Battlewagon is still a good idea, right? Deffrolla's got nerfed hard, but they're also only half the points. Is it worth the extra 5 points to go from a Ram to a 'Rolla in any conceivable way?

Is the +2 armour in Rams allowed to take you above 14 then? I guess if you're going to be ramming or driving through dangerous terrain, it's worth it.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

You're Orks. Why wouldn't you be ramming things with your big vehicle? It's super orky!

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Those are some really legit models. So are the nobz.

And yeah, modelling > gaming for the most part.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Important question... gorkanaut or morkanaut... I am building this sucker right NOW!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Gork is great. Mork is best.

edit for clarification: I have no idea what are on these models. But mork is better than gork.

Sneaky Homunculus
May 19, 2008

Cataphract posted:

Important question... gorkanaut or morkanaut... I am building this sucker right NOW!

Morkanaut for the KFF bubble range, and AP 2 guns. Gorkanaut's gun isn't going to do much without extremely lucky rolls, and probably won't make it into combat.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

But it's a gatling gatling gun. Why is that not super good? It should be, damnit!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I've played a grand total of one battle with it, and the Gorkanuaght seemed to die to what the Morkanught would be better against.

A 3d6 shots shoota is pretty nice, but a kustom mega kannon is much better for general purposes. Like offing marines, or vehicles, at a distance. They've both got the power saw for up close.

Gorkanaught gets 'Rampage' which is more attacks when you're outnumbered, Morkanaught gets a forcefield, which is better protection from shooting for you, and nearby Orks. A Mek's forcefield doesn't extend past their assigned vehicles now, so the Morkanaught is the main way to get an area field with an armour value.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Hmm. If I'm only using one type of 'Orkanaut, I might just use a Gorkanaut as a Morkanaut, then, in order to just have that awesome gun on the field. People would get bad, but gently caress 'em.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
cheers, I was leaning towards morkanaut and you've helped me seal the deal.

Also, having now done some number crunching on the megashoota that thing is kinda terrible... a lot of dice that will maybe average 3 or 4 AP4 hits... against marines that huge gun is likely to kill 1 guy.

plus now I can strap that big gun to the back of a buggy or something.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Sadly, you can't. The reverse of the megashoota is the mounting for the mega-kannon. Though you could probably replace that with a disc of plastic just as well.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

A disc of plastic or ROCKET BOOSTERS.

Gotta think orky.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I think the real trick to playing orks successfully is channeling the spirit of tim "the tool man" taylor.

tim allen is the orkiest man alive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQwYNca4iog

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 2, 2014

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I've tried to do it, with masking tape, but unlike a wall or windowframe, the tape will take paint with it from the mode. Masking agent is a possibility, but I never tried.

I do all mine by hand :/

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You want the old 2nd edition Stormboy models.

If you don't mind the wermacht uniform that is.
Yeah but then I'd need to paint them 2nd ed style and then I'd have yet another retro army and oh god oh god oh god
Those buggies are great! Being pull back and go is basically the best thing ever. Also, the Nobz kit is a contender for the best kit GW's ever released. So much character, and so many options too.

Sneaky Homunculus
May 19, 2008

Cataphract posted:

cheers, I was leaning towards morkanaut and you've helped me seal the deal.

Also, having now done some number crunching on the megashoota that thing is kinda terrible... a lot of dice that will maybe average 3 or 4 AP4 hits... against marines that huge gun is likely to kill 1 guy.

plus now I can strap that big gun to the back of a buggy or something.

I bet a Rhino hatch or something similar will fit on the gun in replacement of the mega shoota's barrel. On the plus side, you can still put the gunner Ork on the back of the Kustom Mega Kannon.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

What do Eldar have on their back? Tried googling a lot but can't find anything about it. I just want to see how I'm gonna paint it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sistergodiva posted:

What do Eldar have on their back? Tried googling a lot but can't find anything about it. I just want to see how I'm gonna paint it.

What, those vane things? They're usually the same color as the regular armor.

I found this today - it's a forum post archiving pretty much every 40k release along with who sculpted it. I just wish it was a wiki or something searchable instead of a wall of text forum post:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?297915-Games-Workshop-40K-Release-Timeline-(Mk-II

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

SRM posted:

What, those vane things? They're usually the same color as the regular armor.

Yeah the things sticking up I'm able to see on pictures, mostly thinking about the rest pf the backpack. Just looks so empty to have it the sme colour as the rest of the guy

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sistergodiva posted:

Yeah the things sticking up I'm able to see on pictures, mostly thinking about the rest pf the backpack. Just looks so empty to have it the sme colour as the rest of the guy
I mean, paint them whatever color you want, but they usually save the contrasting colors for weapons, helmets, and gemstones. Keeping most of the model one color or pattern helps keep the model from looking cluttered or what have you.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

SRM posted:

I mean, paint them whatever color you want, but they usually save the contrasting colors for weapons, helmets, and gemstones. Keeping most of the model one color or pattern helps keep the model from looking cluttered or what have you.

Could be that it's gonna look better once I shade and highlight it. If I knew what it was though I could search for examples and discussions about it. Thanks thouh!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Cataphract posted:

Model whichever looks cooler and just pick Gork or Mork in your list.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Is the *Orkanaut kit just impossible to build as magnetized to swap between the two?

E: Also, FIX, TAKE MY FUNBUXX!

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Ignite Memories posted:

I think the real trick to playing orks successfully is channeling the spirit of tim "the tool man" taylor.

tim allen is the orkiest man alive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQwYNca4iog

But what do orks have to do with cocaine smuggling and a terrible-rear end new show?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I could watch that grunting video all day, I'm surprised its only fifteen minutes. I think the "every incomprehensible Arnold Schwarzenegger scream ever" is twice that long.

Hey guys, since Games Workshop decided once again that we can't have nice thing and shut down Battle Wagon bits, what's a trustworthy place to get bits at a fair price?

I checked the OP, don't see any mention of bits vendors. My brother got four boxes of Shock Troops, I want to give them proper weapons and maybe Cadian arms.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
eBay, even when Battlewagon Bitz was around eBay was the better choice.

SRM posted:

I found this today - it's a forum post archiving pretty much every 40k release along with who sculpted it. I just wish it was a wiki or something searchable instead of a wall of text forum post:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?297915-Games-Workshop-40K-Release-Timeline-(Mk-II
Wow, it's been a year since GW has gone 100% plastic for their releases (aside from LOTR, as those have probably been in the pipe forever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Post 9-11 User posted:

I could watch that grunting video all day, I'm surprised its only fifteen minutes. I think the "every incomprehensible Arnold Schwarzenegger scream ever" is twice that long.

Hey guys, since Games Workshop decided once again that we can't have nice thing and shut down Battle Wagon bits, what's a trustworthy place to get bits at a fair price?

I checked the OP, don't see any mention of bits vendors. My brother got four boxes of Shock Troops, I want to give them proper weapons and maybe Cadian arms.

ebay and http://www.hoardobits.com/ (also ebay)

• Locked thread