Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Star Platinum posted:

Mangastream translates it as the White City. Maybe it's a shithole like the Grey Terminal, or maybe some kind of quarantine zone since Law says he doesn't have much longer to live. Theory time: Law said that Corazon saved his life once, so maybe he was the previous user of the Ope-Ope fruit? It would make sense if Doflamingo was saving the Heart seat for Law partly because he "inherited" Corazon's ability, and it would also make for an interesting parallel between Luffy and Law since Luffy also wanted to preserve Ace's "legacy" by winning the Fire fruit.

e: also in retrospect this could be a nice explanation for why Law decided to save Luffy in the war, if he was reminded of his own adoptive bro. :unsmith:

Holy poo poo, this makes me realize something:

What if Shanks somehow preserved Roger's old Devil Fruit for a new successor to inherit since he didn't want it for himself? He recognized Luffy's potential as a strong man in the future due to Garp's training and basically hijacked Luffy's life path by planting the devil fruit they found?

Then again, my hope is that Roger was just some strong dude with immense Haki and no tricks. It could go either way still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Holy poo poo, this makes me realize something:

What if Shanks somehow preserved Roger's old Devil Fruit for a new successor to inherit since he didn't want it for himself? He recognized Luffy's potential as a strong man in the future due to Garp's training and basically hijacked Luffy's life path by planting the devil fruit they found?

Then again, my hope is that Roger was just some strong dude with immense Haki and no tricks. It could go either way still.

I doubt it because Luffy met quite a few people who knew Roger at this point and none of them said anything about the Gum-Gum Fruit being Roger's.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Still betting on Roger having the psychometry fruit personally, thus his ability to hear the voice of all things.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I thought Roger didn't have a devil fruit? :confused:

I think it would speak even more for his strength if he didn't have one, much like how Garp is so stupidly powerful despite not having one either.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Garp ate the Garp-Garp fruit, thus turning him into a Garp-Garp man :v:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Pretty sure we've never had confirmation one way or the other for whether Roger had a fruit or not. I'm just throwing my two cents in on what I think is likely based on what we know of him and the setting.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Roger having the gum gum fruit will be the dumbest thing ever if it happens so I hope it doesn't

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
I'm also in the camp of not wanting Roger to have a fruit, but we haven't seen him swimming yet so there's no way to be sure.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Millions posted:

I'm also in the camp of not wanting Roger to have a fruit, but we haven't seen him swimming yet so there's no way to be sure.

i hope we never find out

seriously.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AshB posted:

The best part is that there's a Jinbei cover arc.

I love how tiny the ship is. It's like sailing the seas in a bumper car and can't possibly be faster than swimming.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Jose posted:

Roger having the gum gum fruit will be the dumbest thing ever if it happens so I hope it doesn't

Yeah, I can accept that the straw hat was once Roger's because we don't know if he had it in his Pirate King days and it's not necessarily something people would notice, but it would be a huge stretch (:lol:) for Luffy to have the same ability and NOT have someone freak out about it by now. Remember how insane the World Government was about snuffing out Roger's bloodline and even sentenced Tom to death for building his loving ship. If they found out about someone with a D in their name and the same ability as Roger, they would have probably sent a Vice Admiral after Luffy before his rear end even got out of East Blue.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

It also seems the cover arc is going to move to Arabasta soon :allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Speculation:
Law had coengenital heart disease, Corazon saved him by giving him his own heart as transplant, hence law getting the Tony Tonys and becoming obssesed with medicine/doctoring, only his end wasnt as sweet as Choppers, and he became the doctor of death.

Specifics im not sure of but ill be a happy camper if thats true.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Petiso posted:

It also seems the cover arc is going to move to Arabasta soon :allears:
How so? The baby sea cat? Alabasta is past the Red Line in the opposite direction of the Straw Hats, assuming that's where Jinbei is headed. That sea kitten is super cute, though.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Gyges posted:

I love how tiny the ship is. It's like sailing the seas in a bumper car and can't possibly be faster than swimming.

I think he has the ship for coating purposes more than anything else.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

kinmik posted:

How so? The baby sea cat? Alabasta is past the Red Line in the opposite direction of the Straw Hats, assuming that's where Jinbei is headed. That sea kitten is super cute, though.

Nah, remember that in-story the Straw Hats left Fishman Island yesterday in the morning, if Jinbe's "pending business" just required a day he would've told Luffy to wait. I bet the previous cover story title was refering to old comrades from the Sun Pirates and that this guy will appear again, they bothered to introduce him during Fisher Tiger's flashback yet didn't really do anything.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Gyges posted:

He doesnt want to get his clothes wet you loving racist.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure he has a skillet in there for making pancakes. His clothes are designed to be stylish and comfortable whether wet or dry. pancakes on the other hand are delicate

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Cat Machine posted:

I'd kinda like a straight-man/woman for the other characters to bounce off of. Zoro and Sanji kinda used to fill this niche but Oda has kinda pushed them over the edge into "the guy who gets lost all the time" and "nosebleed guy".

I feel the same way and I still think that Rebecca could fill this niche if she got a chance to do something cool ever.

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?
I like how the string clone casually swatted away Luffy's punch, but man is Luffy gonna get hosed up when they fight for real.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
So Doflamingo is pulling a Naruku with his constant reliance on clones. It's like I'm in High school again. :allears:

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

All Nines posted:

I like how the string clone casually swatted away Luffy's punch, but man is Luffy gonna get hosed up when they fight for real.

Obviously forgot to turn his arm black and use haki. Why? :iiam:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So... Doflamingo says "Shouldn't that be easy to uncuff, Law?" (In the mangapanda release at least. I know it's a poo poo translation, but the other one's been just as poo poo lately and comes out later.)

Which got me thinking... why doesn't Law cut his hands off and use his power to reattach them?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Eiba posted:

So... Doflamingo says "Shouldn't that be easy to uncuff, Law?" (In the mangapanda release at least. I know it's a poo poo translation, but the other one's been just as poo poo lately and comes out later.)

Which got me thinking... why doesn't Law cut his hands off and use his power to reattach them?

Seastone cuffs. He can't use his powers.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Eiba posted:

Can't use devil fruit powers when touching seastone.

Edit: ^^^ Darn you

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think he meant cut off his hands the normal, incredibly painful way, and then, once they're off, use his powers to reattach them.

I mean, assuming he doesn't need hand-gestures to do that.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bobulus posted:

I think he meant cut off his hands the normal, incredibly painful way, and then, once they're off, use his powers to reattach them.

Oh, well in that case it's because this is One Piece and not JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Bobulus posted:

He might not be able to reattach things that weren't cut inside his room.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Or, you know, things that are directly touching seastone.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Begemot posted:

Oh, well in that case it's because this is One Piece and not JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
What is a stand, if not a humanoid ghost devil fruit?

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Well, he could still get any old random defeated dude's hands lying around the battlefield, judging by what he did on Punk Hazard (assuming there wasn't any additional mad science required to get those chimeras to work). I guess he would loose his sweet tattoos that way. Too high a price to pay, I imagine.

GoatLord posted:

Once the hands were removed I should imagine it would be fairly easy to remove the seastone touching them.

(Yes, I was imagining the hands coming off the straightforward way. I was also being a bit silly, as I know this manga doesn't tend to be that brutal.)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Also, they're handcuffs. No matter how he regularly removes his hands, something is still touching seastone. If he cuts his hands off, his wrists are still in handcuffs and he can't reattach his hands. If he cuts his wrists off, his hands are still in the handcuffs and can't be reattached either.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I was about to ask, "What would he hold the sword with?" considering he doesn't seem to be able to move things until he cuts them, but then I remembered this is the only series where there's an acceptable answer to that question.

Even so, he seems to need to do gestures with his fingers in order to move/switch things around in the Room so I don't know if even the violent way would work.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Eiba posted:

Uh, not really, no. MangaStream translated that line as "Looks like you're missing the keys to those cuffs, eh, Law?", which is a lot clearer in my opinion but I don't know the original line so whatever. The MangaStream version this week is a much better read overall; it's easier to tell who's speaking when and doesn't have the rampant grammar errors that plague the MangaPanda release. Combined with the cleaner scans and I don't see why anyone would bother with the MangaPanda's version after MangaStream's is out.

Also, I'm curious what the White City could be. I'm gonna go on a limb and suggest it's a quarantine zone of some kind, since kid Law seems to think he's gonna die soon and the only thing I can think of that would make him say that is being exposed to some kinda disease. Or he could just be crazy, but that brings up the question of why he'd bother saying he's from the White City at all.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Uh, not really, no. MangaStream translated that line as "Looks like you're missing the keys to those cuffs, eh, Law?", which is a lot clearer in my opinion but I don't know the original line so whatever. The MangaStream version this week is a much better read overall; it's easier to tell who's speaking when and doesn't have the rampant grammar errors that plague the MangaPanda release. Combined with the cleaner scans and I don't see why anyone would bother with the MangaPanda's version after MangaStream's is out.

Also, I'm curious what the White City could be. I'm gonna go on a limb and suggest it's a quarantine zone of some kind, since kid Law seems to think he's gonna die soon and the only thing I can think of that would make him say that is being exposed to some kinda disease. Or he could just be crazy, but that brings up the question of why he'd bother saying he's from the White City at all.

Because Mangastreams has been shittier than Mangapandas for at least 4 months now.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Keep in mind that MangaStream being a cleaner read doesn't mean it's accurate. They often rewrite lines.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The Japanese word for void used in void century uses the character white and can also be translated as blank or null. I haven't seen the original Japanese, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's what's going on here.

I got to Enies Lobby and drat it's good. If you want to die, that's fine, but we're going to save you first. Hell yeah Luffy.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Also, they're handcuffs. No matter how he regularly removes his hands, something is still touching seastone. If he cuts his hands off, his wrists are still in handcuffs and he can't reattach his hands. If he cuts his wrists off, his hands are still in the handcuffs and can't be reattached either.

I don't think you understand how handcuffs work.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dragonatrix posted:

Look at this guy who thinks he's smarter than Marco. Really I'm surprised we haven't seen anyone who cut off their hands to escape jail and in the process became even more deadly. Unless that's how Crocodile got his hook.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Gyges posted:

Look at this guy who thinks he's smarter than Marco. Really I'm surprised we haven't seen anyone who cut off their hands to escape jail and in the process became even more deadly. Unless that's how Crocodile got his hook.

Shiki did this with his legs to escape jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GoatLord posted:

Seastone itself isn't immune to Fruit powers, I think, but Fruit users can't do poo poo while they're in contact with the stuff. The Room is closed for the time being.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 3, 2014

• Locked thread