Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some manner of alien vagina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's like a mid-tier Final Fantasy boss or something.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Doomsday looks like a monstrous sea urchin.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

That's like a mid-tier Final Fantasy boss or something.

Or a certain Chrono Trigger final boss.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Still looks better than the original.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Still looks better than the original.

Why do you hate the 90s?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Ozymandias' original plan to have his alien monster harpoon a squid was really never going to work out.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

FilthyImp posted:

Why do you hate the 90s?

I will not be silenced. Doomsday is essentially not even a character. He's an excuse. He's a hype machine that somehow has turned into a legacy of continuous, vacuous hype generation.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So, what the gently caress is Doomsday now?

A deep-sea creature. As in 'deep ocean trench, black sea' creature where you get the weirdest things. Whether that will actually HELP him is uncertain.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah well, let's see Aquaman drop some whales on him this time :smugbert:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I will not be silenced. Doomsday is essentially not even a character. He's an excuse. He's a hype machine that somehow has turned into a legacy of continuous, vacuous hype generation.

Not being a character is what makes him cool! He's just a big grey bony one-dimensional fist who exists to punch Superman in the face.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So, what the gently caress is Doomsday now?

I genuinely can't tell what I'm looking at. Like the overall shape and form of this thing. I see spikes, and demon/goat horns, but is he literally a ball of spikes? Cause that... is less than threatening.

Also, he's such a bland character and his use always seems like a cheap ploy to make things tense for Superman. Wasn't there an issue of something with Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman fighting an army of Doomsdays? I remember it featuring Batman wading into a bunch of Doomsdays and beating them with Batarangs and dumb poo poo, but this just may be my crazy brain coming up with scenarios to make me mad.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Chinaman7000 posted:

I remember it featuring Batman wading into a bunch of Doomsdays and beating them with Batarangs and dumb poo poo, but this just may be my crazy brain coming up with scenarios to make me mad.

Don't be stupid, Batman beating Doomsday clones with batarangs is absurd.

He was beating them with a giant axe.

Edit: Found a picture

Superman Batman issue 10, written by, who else, Jeph Loeb

McCloud fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 6, 2014

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

McCloud posted:

Don't be stupid, Batman beating Doomsday clones with batarangs is absurd.

He was beating them with a giant axe.

Edit: Found a picture

Superman Batman issue 10, written by, who else, Jeph Loeb

Well, it does say right there that the army was flawed, so there's your out for why Batman was able to fight one of them. Looks like they were basically parademons made to look like Doomsday with no other enhancements.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/04/14/adventures-of-superman-cancelled-to-be-replaced-by-infinite-crisis-in-may/

Adventures of Superman is cancelled.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That sucks but sales have been incredible lackluster so I'm not surprised. Only Batman '66 seems to have any long term legs.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser
That sucks. It was my favorite Superman comic out now.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

That sucks but sales have been incredible lackluster so I'm not surprised. Only Batman '66 seems to have any long term legs.
Are you speaking print-wise? New issues seem to be in the top 10 digitally, which I would think would matter for a digital-first series, but it wouldn't shock me if DC measured the success purely on the print versions (of digital-first stories released a few months later at a higher price than the digital chapters put together).

I enjoyed the Injustice comic tremendously but this replacement title sounds awful, and the game it's based on is extremely lackluster, to boot.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So, Doomed huh?

I thought the one-shot was just okay. Read like a Superman Vs Doomsday comic, but Action and SM/WW were as great as they have been.
If you're worried about Clark as Superdoom stomping around killing everyone, don't be. It hasn't gone there (though we still have Lobdell's chapter.)

Don't skip out if you've been liking Pak and Soule Superman comics, and if you flat out refuse to buy the chapters with Lobdell's name on them, DC finally have catch-up text pages in these comics. It's amazing.

e: I feel like I missed out on the Senator Lane thing and the Smallville virus starting. Was that all in Lobdell's Superman?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 14, 2014

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Space_Butler posted:

Are you speaking print-wise? New issues seem to be in the top 10 digitally, which I would think would matter for a digital-first series, but it wouldn't shock me if DC measured the success purely on the print versions (of digital-first stories released a few months later at a higher price than the digital chapters put together).

I enjoyed the Injustice comic tremendously but this replacement title sounds awful, and the game it's based on is extremely lackluster, to boot.

Have to make room for another Batman vehicle to capture the hype of the upcoming Superman vs Batman movie.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

I want to buy it but I'm just so bored to tears with the concept of Superman getting some sort of virus or whatever and mutating into an rear end in a top hat (or getting brainwashed by Darkseid into becoming an rear end in a top hat, or becoming a totalitarian rear end in a top hat because dead Lois, or turning into an rear end in a top hat spider-robot) and then being saved at the end of the day by his friends (or killed).

It's like the character has no agency anymore.

I want to see Superman being loving Superman, greatest hero of all time, and I can't remember the last time that that's happened.

The Goon fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 15, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Goon posted:

I want to see Superman being loving Superman, greatest hero of all time, and I can't remember the last time that that's happened.

Have you been reading Pak's Action?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 15, 2014

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Doomed itself was meh and featured a whole lot of stuff I didn't really understand (probably because they were plot threads from Superman and SM/WW Also what the hell is happening to Lois Lane? When did she have crazy purple eyes and commune with some sort of hivemind?) but the Action Comics issue following it was really good and has an interesting arc. Plus it's always good to see Morrison's stuff return like Krypto and Steel and even Metallo to an extent.

I just hope Paktion comics will be stand alone and self contained during the event cause I have no interest in reading Lobdell's one issue and Soule's stuff.

quote:

If you're worried about Clark as Superdoom stomping around killing everyone, don't be. It hasn't gone there (though we still have Lobdell's chapter.)

Looking at solicits it sounds like this won't happen until later in Pak's run.

aroundtheback
Apr 4, 2013

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Also what the hell is happening to Lois Lane? When did she have crazy purple eyes and commune with some sort of hivemind?

Lois got empowered by Brainiac and seems to be working for him.

While Doomed itself wasn't the best, I still found it mostly enjoyable. Pak and Soule's stuff continued to be great through and Im enjoying the greatly expanded character interaction that it brought with Wonder Women and Superman's friends. The idea that the virus is controlled by Superman's will seems interesting and I wanna see how it plays out.

Also does anyone know if Lobdell is in charge of ending the event or has he been kicked and Pak and Soule are ending it?

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

Have you been reading Pak's Action?

I have and it's been decent so far I agree, it just feels like it's not getting enough time to gain proper traction before being swallowed up into the next stupid event.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'd recommend all of you to read this:

http://bfromc.wordpress.com/2014/01/30/super-problems-part-one/

http://bfromc.wordpress.com/2014/01/30/super-problems-part-two/

http://bfromc.wordpress.com/2014/01/31/super-problems-part-three/

Is really interesting and the author brings some good points.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

It says that smallville had good ideas

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

Could be? I mean he's also suggesting to bring back Superboy's relationship with the Legion of Superheroes and I can't give a gently caress about the Legion but hey, if it can work to make Superboy interesting again. :shrug:

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

There was a brief period where the superbooks were getting so bad that I genuinely was enjoying Smallville more. I am not proud of that time of my life. That attitude is how dictators get elected during hardship.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

It had tons. It didn't go anywhere with them (Smallville ended up existing in a weird stretch of pop-culture and tv history) but it had a lot of good ideas.
Never have I seen a show walk right up to a great idea/take on an established character and just walk past it.

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser
I'm surprised at how much I like the Doomed crossover. Action #33 kind of felt like "What if Superman was also the Hulk in space." Also, I love that Pak has some focus on Lana, as well.

Has anyone been reading Earth 2? The idea of the new Superman seems really cool to me, but I flipped through the latest one or two issue and it just seemed like the old Superman going nuts slaughtering everyone, and it was kind of a turn off. Is it better than that? I was a bit disappointed he didn't get a better send off.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I haven't read today's E2 issue yet, but there's a virtuous, pacifist 'superboy' who just emerged to counteract him, and Lois is attempting to undo Evil Soup's programming right now, and half succeeding.

Also, Worlds' Finest is about to turn into an Earth 2 Batman and Superman flashback team-up book that'll get you some good guy alternate Clark.

Then there's the first Batman/Superman story arc which had our BM/SM warp over to Earth 2 to meet theirs before they died/ got turned. That was great.

Speaking of. Anyone else find today's Batman/Superman a pile of nonsense? How did they cause what it's implying they caused by just floating around?
And besides that, the art! Ugh.

e: Actually, it had double bad art.
The first half's by one guy:

Second half's by another:

Bad issue.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 2, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I haven't read today's E2 issue yet, but there's a virtuous, pacifist 'superboy' who just emerged to counteract him, and Lois is attempting to undo Evil Soup's programming right now, and half succeeding.

After today Superman has Killed Pa Kent I am also looking forward to the new Superman, and the hint that there is a fourth krypton survivor.

I also want to know is Superman/Batman worth reading? Pak is awesome on Action and really enjoying his run and wondering if its more of the same? Wow Action and Superman are worth reading, its great time to be a Superman fan.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

After today Superman has Killed Pa Kent I am also looking forward to the new Superman, and the hint that there is a fourth krypton survivor.

I also want to know is Superman/Batman worth reading? Pak is awesome on Action and really enjoying his run and wondering if its more of the same? Wow Action and Superman are worth reading, its great time to be a Superman fan.

Batman/Superman is worth a read but some arcs are kind of bad (First Contact), others have a weird tone (Mongul's arc. Its annual was loving awesome though) and it suffers of massive delays.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

It's been great, but with some major stumbling moments.
Jae Lee's issues are always good, but there's the stretch of 5-7 with Brett Booth art and bad story to match that I couldn't buy into after the first issue. Jae Lee's back in 8-9 (plus the great Annual) and it's beautiful, but is a crossover with some not so hot issues of Worlds' Finest, then a nice fill-in Jeff Lemire did with Superman and The Atom going on a Fantastic Voyage style adventure inside Batman, then one pretty fun chapter of the Doomed crossover, and now this crappy issue.
It's schizophrenic as hell, and would be much stronger if they just waited for whenever Jae Lee could finish an issue, but there's great moments. The first arc is well worth a look.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 2, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo, Action Comics was great. That last page :flashfap:

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

I will never, ever believe that Clark Kent Superman, even if he is the Earth 2 version, would ever do what he did in this issue, or that he would be so absolutely brainwashed as to be able to do that. The entire "Brutaal" plot smacks of a cheap ploy to justify him getting killed off to make way for his replacement. Better that he had just stayed dead.

gently caress this book.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Speaking of. Anyone else find today's Batman/Superman a pile of nonsense? How did they cause what it's implying they caused by just floating around?

The whole thing was that both Bats and Supes got like... 5 seconds of being tangible to actually effect change on Earth 2. Bruce couldn't stop his instinctual feelings and blew his time saving Alfred from one parademon, only to see like an army bearing down on him as he went intangible again. Since he then knew how the "game" (for lack of a better term) worked, then he could plan out with Superman what to do and follow their Earth-2 counterparts along with their plan. Superman was gonna save Earth-2 Bruce but then at the last second he heard that Helena Wayne was in danger due to the Batwing in the process of blowing up and knew that Batman (on either world) would rather have their kid's life saved rather than their own, so he used his 5 seconds to save her life. So yeah, by floating around, all they really did was learn about Earth 2's past and ensure Huntress's survival.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The Goon posted:

I will never, ever believe that Clark Kent Superman, even if he is the Earth 2 version, would ever do what he did in this issue, or that he would be so absolutely brainwashed as to be able to do that. The entire "Brutaal" plot smacks of a cheap ploy to justify him getting killed off to make way for his replacement. Better that he had just stayed dead.

gently caress this book.

Yeah it was a real holy poo poo what the gently caress moment. He has reached a point of absolutely no return and I assume he will be placed in the Phantom Zone. I just hope that the next issue doesn't have him also killing Lois.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Are there any other Superman stories similar to Birthright?

I'm fairly new to comics but Birthright has been my favorite so far. It's a shame that story line has been wiped out of existence. If I can find a story with a similar tone or themes to that I'd be really happy.

So far I've read Superman Earth One and Action Comics #1. I didn't really like either. I feel like I should be leaning towards following the Action Comics Superman story but I haven't really been able to connect to Clark Kent as a character yet. That and the pacing are my only issues. I feel like things are just sort of *happening* and there's no development of any major characters yet. Should I give it time?

Also I'm kind of confused with continuity. The way I understand it, the Superman from the New 52 is the same character as the Action Comics t-shirt Superman? Comics are hard.

• Locked thread