Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

NTRabbit posted:

Rumour is the financial report is being written by Matt Ward :argh:

Fat chance of the books being balanced then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Daedleh posted:

:thurman:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Daedleh posted:

Perfect.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Daedleh posted:

holy poo poo

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

:wow:

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
I hope he reads this. Just so he knows even more how much parts of the community don't respect him.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There are people who DO respect Matt Ward?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The Matt Ward shaped part, I assume does.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
The Ultramarine fan fiction community.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Seriously, how did Ward get to be basically the prominent 40k dude? Was it just by game dev attrition or does he have compromising photos of someone playing Warmachine or what?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Seriously, how did Ward get to be basically the prominent 40k dude? Was it just by game dev attrition or does he have compromising photos of someone playing Warmachine or what?

They saw him wearing a fedora and thought 'this guy means business'

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Matt Ward is the best writer GW has left. Truly the scariest thought of all.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

PresidentBeard posted:

They're so hosed

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PresidentBeard posted:

Is this really true? I mean, I've seen people saying stuff like "Thank god it's WARD writing X instead of anyone else." Is he seriously the best they've got?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ward, Kelly, Cruddace, Johnson, Kinrade, Hoare, Thorpe and Hewitt are all I can find

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 2, 2014

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Is this really true? I mean, I've seen people saying stuff like "Thank god it's WARD writing X instead of anyone else." Is he seriously the best they've got?

The impression I've always had, which may be way off the mark, is that people like Ward's tendency to write powerful and usable units and dislike the fluff that he writes.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Ward, Kelly, Cruddace, Johnson, Kinrade, Hoare, Thorpe and Hewitt are all I can find

Gav Thorpe hasn't worked for GW since like 08

Gumdrop Larry posted:

The impression I've always had, which may be way off the mark, is that people like Ward's tendency to write powerful and usable units and dislike the fluff that he writes.

He makes books that are good enough to play in a variety of ways but the fluff that he writes is mostly stupid garbage. Well, even moreso than 40k fluff already is. I don't know they they don't just have one person do the rules and another do the fluff but whatever.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 2, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Yeah. People do get bitter about a few stereotypical Wardian codices (Necrons, Grey Knights?) having been better than the competition in their day, but that could pretty legitimately be interpreted as Ward being a better writer of rules than his compatriots.

The Wardian fluff is where people legitimately go :vince: at him.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

S.J. posted:

Gav Thorpe hasn't worked for GW since like 08

Scratch him then, old lists and guesswork from me

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
I shouldn't have really started the derail :ohdear: I've worked with Alessio C on a few different things and know how badly the Internet have affected him and his confidence so I'd be very surprised if it doesn't affect Ward in the same way. Truth is we don't know for definite how much of MAT WARDs writing is him and how much is studio interference/pressure. I'd be interested in anything Serious Gaylord posts about accountants vs the design studio in terms of rule writing.

I have been told by someone on the inside that codex's aren't written by one person any more. The studio team rotates between projects every week or so. I don't know if there's an overall project head who's responsible for compiling the work or vetoing things, but it's certainly a collaborative effort.

Which means that multiple people thought that the new Ork mob rule was a good idea.

Daedleh fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 2, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Kind of curious about GWs design team as well, I mean they have one "sort of" I guess?

All the good designers left. People may have complained but a lot of those guys that left were really good and inventive.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Daedleh posted:

I shouldn't have really started the derail :ohdear: I've worked with Alessio C on a few different things and know how badly the Internet have affected him and his confidence so I'd be very surprised if it doesn't affect Ward in the same way.

GW has moved from crediting individual authors to crediting "the Games Workshop Design Team" in the most recent books. The only real reason I can think of doing so is to avoid these sort of issues.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Despite their attempts the stink of Cruddace can still be found on the Tyranid codex.

Ward's fluff fro necrons is also fantastically 80s.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

What does this 'Wardian fluff' look like? Is that alright to ask in here?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Spiderdrake posted:

What does this 'Wardian fluff' look like? Is that alright to ask in here?

The most infamous incident is the Grey Knights murdering a bunch of Sisters of Battle in order to be able to spread the Sisters' blood on their armor to ward against daemons.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That sounds like something Arthurian paladins would do and is fitting. But nerds misinterpret paladins to be DND lawful goody two shoes.

I like this Ward guy already. Q

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.
I've never understood why GW have such a comparatively microscopic rules/story staff compared to their size.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Chill la Chill posted:

That sounds like something Arthurian paladins would do and is fitting. But nerds misinterpret paladins to be DND lawful goody two shoes.

I think the main complaint was not that Grey Knights are too good to do that, but they're already protected by such powerful wards that none of them have ever turned, like reaching for the sunscreen after you've already put on a lead lined HAZMAT suit.

Plus there's Draigo.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Daedleh posted:

I've worked with Alessio C on a few different things and know how badly the Internet have affected him and his confidence
Oh? Do tell. I wasn't aware he was particularly hated.

(then again, it's the internet. You can find haters of anything and anyone)

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

I think the main complaint was not that Grey Knights are too good to do that, but they're already protected by such powerful wards that none of them have ever turned, like reaching for the sunscreen after you've already put on a lead lined HAZMAT suit.

Pretty much, it's sexist bullshit 101 that even total idiots can see for what it is.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

NTRabbit posted:

Plus there's Draigo.

Didn't he also do the 5E space marine codex that was perceived as fellating the Ultramarines even more than the baseline lore?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

JerryLee posted:

Didn't he also do the 5E space marine codex that was perceived as fellating the Ultramarines even more than the baseline lore?

He did indeed, to the point where the other founding chapters (Imperial Fists, Salamanders, etc.) got just a tad bit more ink than the successor chapters (with the exception of the Iron Hands, who got the same amount of ink as the successors).

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

That sounds like something Arthurian paladins would do and is fitting.

No, it doesn't and it isn't.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

I too like lovely fluff that routinely fellates SPESS MAHREENS. :v:

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

House Louse posted:

No, it doesn't and it isn't.

I wish liesmith was around to clarify this one.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I too like lovely fluff that routinely fellates SPESS MAHREENS. :v:

Oh if it's the same guy then gently caress that guy. Whatever happened to the thought that all the stories being read are all propaganda from the empire? I remember thinking I was very clever for realizing that when I was young and someone telling me that was a common theory back then.

Nevertheless I don't think any of that has to do with finance. They probably still made more money when the lore was 100% serious

drgnvale posted:

I wish liesmith was around to clarify this one.

Yeah I miss that guy. I may have misremembered things but I recall the knights did horrible things in the name of god or to further their cause in the death of Arthur. But in any case I think Jerry is right and it's probably a horrible sexist reason.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 3, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
And even if it was something that happened in Arthurian legend (no they never entered a nunnery, slaughtered all within and bathed in their blood at any point ever) that's still some hefty mental gymnastics to make it something that's cool to write today.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Apparently they needed to cover themselves in women's blood to survive the Bloodtide.

E: Holy poo poo they used the Sisters' blood to become "talismans of purity." Which worked better for them than for the sisters whose blood it was in the loving first place.

moths fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 3, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

moths posted:

Apparently they needed to cover themselves in women's blood to survive the Bloodtide.

E: Holy poo poo they used the Sisters' blood to become "talismans of purity." Which worked better for them than for the sisters whose blood it was in the loving first place.

Aka periods are scary, am I right guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

"Stupid women not using their purity right, better smear it all over our swords and bodies and do this Man's Job."

• Locked thread