Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I have really enjoyed The Wake. The forest part was great. 2nd half I've not enjoyed as much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kull the Conqueror posted:

The end of Unwritten: Apocalypse #6 gave me goosebumps.

In case you're curious, the last page is styled after Albrecht Durer and I believe the quote is from Charlemagne.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Just starting Unwritten (thanks, thread!). Was really enjoying the first issue when I got to the back and discovered it's the brains behind Lucifer running the show.

Now I'm very, very excited.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Alaemon posted:

Just starting Unwritten (thanks, thread!). Was really enjoying the first issue when I got to the back and discovered it's the brains behind Lucifer running the show.

Now I'm very, very excited.

Oh man, you have quite the ride ahead of you. Expect more pronounced father issues than were in Lucifer. They were an undercurrent in Lucifer, obviously, but they have a huge role in The Unwritten. These two series alone make me really want to pick Mike Carey's brain sometime.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

bairfanx posted:

Oh man, you have quite the ride ahead of you. Expect more pronounced father issues than were in Lucifer. They were an undercurrent in Lucifer, obviously, but they have a huge role in The Unwritten. These two series alone make me really want to pick Mike Carey's brain sometime.

I have. :smuggo: Not about that, though, and I really wouldn't. Either it's nothing and you're wasting your time, or it's important and thus personal.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Jedit posted:

I have. :smuggo: Not about that, though, and I really wouldn't. Either it's nothing and you're wasting your time, or it's important and thus personal.

Oh, I didn't mean about the father issues, just about his writing in general. Had a great chance to talk with him for a few minutes when he was touring for the first Felix Castor book, but would be awesome to have more time to talk with him.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
One thing I noticed in Unwritten is that there is a tonal shift in the books as the story progresses, which makes sense as it becomes something a lot bigger than "what if Harry Potter lived in the real world, but a world controlled by a secret literary cabal".
Also I'm adding it to my list of "books that need to be annotated".

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Madkal posted:

Also I'm adding it to my list of "books that need to be annotated".

I've made a couple of half-assed attempts to annotate it and can't decide just how important it is to dive into some things. Now that it's wrapping up, I think I may give it a shot again as I think I can make better sense of what is relevant and what isn't.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just picked up the new Dead Boy Detectives collection that came out today on Comixology. There's a mis-print in the description of it being issues 1-7, when it really has the parts from the recent Vert anthologies and 1-6, but at $10 is a nice saving on getting all of that individually

I've just read the first (only?) issue of Sandman that featured them. I assume I'm good for this?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 2, 2014

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Just read #5 & #6 of Unwritten: Apocalypse. Holy poo poo, this is good. But I now remember why I hate reading comics outside of Trades. Goddamn, why can't I just have the next issue already?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So I've been binging on Preacher and, while it's really not a perfect comic, jesus it has some good characters. Pretty much everything involving Cassidy or the Saint of Killers is a joy, and Herr Starr and Jesse (especially post-eye loss) aren't far behind.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Herr Starr one shot is definitely one of the best issues.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The pages of him trying on wigs and hats after Jesse turns him into a giant penis are the funniest loving thing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Herr Starr is one of my favorite characters because at times he exists purely as a vehicle for Ennis to get out his most puerile humor, but then he also has moments of shocking depth and winds up being one of the most understandably motivated villains in an Ennis comic.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Also, it bears mentioning that the Vietnam segments with Jesse's dad and Spaceman are loving amazing. They're honestly some of Ennis' best work.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So I've gotten into The Dresden Files and I've come to the realization that Dresden is rather similar to Constantine. What's a good Hellblazer storyline to start off with?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Benny the Snake posted:

So I've gotten into The Dresden Files and I've come to the realization that Dresden is rather similar to Constantine. What's a good Hellblazer storyline to start off with?

The first one, if you don't mind it being a little dated - which it is on purpose. I really liked it.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Was Taters posted:

The first one, if you don't mind it being a little dated - which it is on purpose. I really liked it.
How can something be "dated" on purpose?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anybody up to date on Coffin Hill and FBP? How are they goin'?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

How can something be "dated" on purpose?

It was written about what were then current issues, is what he means. The demonic villains are explicitly Thatcherite Tories buying the souls of yuppies.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jedit posted:

It was written about what were then current issues, is what he means. The demonic villains are explicitly Thatcherite Tories buying the souls of yuppies.

Also Thatcher winning the election is seen as hell on earth.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

bobkatt013 posted:

Also Thatcher winning the election is seen as hell on earth.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Was Taters posted:

I second this. Most people skip to Ennis' run but I like most everything that precedes it, and it makes the events of Dangerous Habits more impactful.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah Delano's run is cool, particularly that whole arc where he's living with a bunch of hippies in a tent.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah Delano's run is cool, particularly that whole arc where he's living with a bunch of hippies in a tent.

Yeah the Fear Machine is pretty great.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Was Taters posted:

It was really rough going for me when I started with Delano, to the point that I found myself jumping in with some later Hellblazer and likely getting some things spoiled for me before going back and making it through Original Sins. I think All His Engines, which was a stand alone graphic novel if I remember correctly, was where I started. But Carey's my number one underrated comic writer, so I'm likely a bit biased here.

What I'm saying is that starting with Original Sins is probably not a bad idea, but don't just say "gently caress it" to 300 issues of mostly great comics if it's hard to get through that first volume like it was for me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's weird, because for me the stuff that was hard to get through came much later: Azzarello's run was insufferable, to the point that it put me off the series for the better part of a year, until I forced myself to power through. I thought Diggle's run was pretty bad and had a very small-minded approach to the character's history, too.

Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like if Ellis had been able to stay on as full time writer like he was originally supposed to. This was back when he was at the top of his game, after all.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Jedit posted:

Oh okay. What's everybody's favorite Hellblazer trade?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Benny the Snake posted:

Dangerous Habits by a mile.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
You don't have to read all 300 Hellblazer issues, really, the last 35-40 (you know which ones) are all terrible. RIP Constantine, hope your show is better than that run (it won't be).

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

e; ^^^ Milligan's run isn't great, but it's miles better than Mina's and Azzarello's.

Benny the Snake posted:

Dangerous Habits, followed by Rake at the Gates of Hell.

Genetic Toaster fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 10, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Genetic Toaster posted:

e; ^^^ Milligan's run isn't great, but it's miles better than Mina's and Azzarello's.

Dangerous Habits, followed by Rake at the Gates of Hell.

I may have to shake my little fist and call you a fascist. Dangerous Habits for sure, but Rake was just Ennis knocking down four years of continuity so whoever followed him could start from zero.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

I'll probably hop on the Dangerous Habits bandwagon, with Hard Time as 2nd place pick.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I've recently finished the game The Wolf Among Us and I loved it from start to finish so naturally I'm now thinking of giving Fables a shot. From what I gather the consensus is that it's really good up to a point and then it loses its direction? And the thing about the author trying to shove his pro-Israeli politics into the story, is it as insane as it sounds?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Senjuro posted:

I've recently finished the game The Wolf Among Us and I loved it from start to finish so naturally I'm now thinking of giving Fables a shot. From what I gather the consensus is that it's really good up to a point and then it loses its direction? And the thing about the author trying to shove his pro-Israeli politics into the story, is it as insane as it sounds?

The Israel thing is only one chapter and by far the most egregious example of Wllingham's bullshit. Its biggest crime is that it's poorly written and feels completely out of place, because as an analogy it actually does make sense within the context of the story. And the same can be said for a lot of the other sort of political rhetoric, since it should be noted that Fabletown is never portrayed as some sort of Randian utopia where everyone is happy and awesome and gently caress the poors and liberals - it's a book that has a lot problems, but for the most part is a compelling read, especially if you have any interest in folktales and lore.

It loses steam around the time they defeat the Adversary, but I still like the book. Just know that Wolf Among Us has a very different tone and feel, so it's not necessarily a good indicator for how much you will enjoy it. Pick up the first couple of trades and then if you like it, just keep going until it feels like you've reached a natural stopping point.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

The Israel thing is only one chapter and by far the most egregious example of Wllingham's bullshit. Its biggest crime is that it's poorly written and feels completely out of place, because as an analogy it actually does make sense within the context of the story. And the same can be said for a lot of the other sort of political rhetoric, since it should be noted that Fabletown is never portrayed as some sort of Randian utopia where everyone is happy and awesome and gently caress the poors and liberals - it's a book that has a lot problems, but for the most part is a compelling read, especially if you have any interest in folktales and lore.

It loses steam around the time they defeat the Adversary, but I still like the book. Just know that Wolf Among Us has a very different tone and feel, so it's not necessarily a good indicator for how much you will enjoy it. Pick up the first couple of trades and then if you like it, just keep going until it feels like you've reached a natural stopping point.

Disappointing to hear that the tone is different. One of the things I liked about TWAU is the fantasy True Detective feel it has going.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Senjuro posted:

Disappointing to hear that the tone is different. One of the things I liked about TWAU is the fantasy True Detective feel it has going.

Yeah, that's definitely not the case in the comics. It's much more of a large scale fantasy story with a very erratic tone that never really ventures into the thick, noir-ish trappings of the game, even in the first volume which is a murder mystery. Like I said, I like the comics, but the game has a way more consistent and deliberate feel to it; I think if you like the comics you'll really love the game, but not necessarily the other way around.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In October the current Vert ongoings are using their front covers as story pages.
http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/07/11/vertigo-releases-defy-comics-that-start-story-on-cover
I wanna ask again, how are Coffin Hill and FBP going? Nobody reading the current books?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Coffin Hill is OK, but little more than OK. I don't think anybody is reading FBP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Jedit posted:

Coffin Hill is OK, but little more than OK. I don't think anybody is reading FBP.

I was reading FBP when it start and Rodriguez was knocking it out of the park on the art but the writing just didn't match. I dropped it after the first arc.

• Locked thread