Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Are we talking about what coffee drinkers say they want or what they actually do when they have coffee and a table full of creamers and sugar in front of them?

I think a lot of people like the idea of a hot, strong, black coffee. They just like the taste of warm, sweet sugary coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I think people just like to make "I like my coffee like I like my men/women" jokes (in my case, "drowned in milk and sugar and stored in the freezer")

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think people just like to make "I like my coffee like I like my men/women" jokes (in my case, "drowned in milk and sugar and stored in the freezer")

:stare: Remind me never to ask you for a cup of coffee.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I always heard ground up and stored in the freezer.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Strong, black and proud :911:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I drink coffee black

But I add an ice cube to it because I like to drink it right away and not wait a half hour for it to cool down enough not to scald my mouth.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Beamed posted:

I always heard ground up and stored in the freezer.

Oh, they all scream for ice cream. They all scream.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
While I was transitioning into the life of the working man with coffee available in the office, I had a lady I worked with confront me on my use of sugar and cream. She told me "UFO, you don't like coffee, you like ice cream". I took it as an insult and from that day forward started drinking it black. I now prefer it that way as it tastes kind of nasty with sugar and cream in it now.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

While I was transitioning into the life of the working man with coffee available in the office, I had a lady I worked with confront me on my use of sugar and cream. She told me "UFO, you don't like coffee, you like ice cream". I took it as an insult and from that day forward started drinking it black. I now prefer it that way as it tastes kind of nasty with sugar and cream in it now.

Misandry?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
That lady sounds rude.

I usually use half+half and a bit of sugar but if the blend is good I'll just use a bit of sugar. Our office gets a different one to try every month, it's pretty nice. I don't know poo poo about coffee really except that it's free and doesn't taste like poo poo here, and that I love our Keurig machine at home.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Doctor Butts posted:

But I add an ice cube to it because I like to drink it right away and not wait a half hour for it to cool down enough not to scald my mouth.
That I can pour a mug and drink the coffee as soon as its done is one of my favorite things about a french press. Not great for an office breakroom though.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

wixard posted:

That I can pour a mug and drink the coffee as soon as its done is one of my favorite things about a french press. Not great for an office breakroom though.

The one time I tried to use my old French Press it just left grounds in the bottom of the cup; am I missing some dumb secret?

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

It does tend to leave a little bit of sludge, but the amount you end up with is based on how your coffee is ground. Ideally you need to keep it a lot more course than drip coffee, a lot of cheap electric grinders can't even do it. I use a hand grinder because I'm not paying $150 for an electric.

e: Grind it more coarse too

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jul 2, 2014

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
European espresso is fricking delicious when black. But I guess that's for wimps.

Watered down American drip coffee is intolerable black.

The best coffee I ever had though was from a street vendor in Dar es Salaam. It was dark, thick, and I had to give the cup back when I finished. It was also the cheapest coffee I ever had.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Bah this is the only way to get caffine, gently caress your bitter mud water.

http://www.amazon.com/Caffeine-Powder-Pharma-freshness-Powder/dp/B005L99402/ref=sr_1_14?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1404330584&sr=1-14

Ingest/snort as needed

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Well I hate to interrupt coffee chat, but I think Michael Savage might be my new favorite right wing radio guy.

I was just listening to him and he said that the current flood of immigrants at the border is the "the gravest ever threat to the survival of this nation" and if I wasn't completely delusional when I was hearing this, he said it was the largest and most serious foreign invasion in history. All deliberated orchestrated by Obama of course. I guess he thinks that diseases from these immigrants are going to destroy the White Race like what happened to the American natives. "Do you realize what's going to happen when your daughter comes home with her head crawling with lice?!" He followed this up by saying "I know you're going to call me a racist, or a this-ist, or a that-ist, but you're wrong. I'm not any kind of 'ist'. I'm an epidemiologist. I'm an epidemiologist by training. :smug:"

This stuff is just brilliant. I guess this is timed to coincide with the imminent muslim world takeover and institution of sharia law on a planetary scale that he likes to talk about. Also deliberately orchestrated by Obama of course.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Sometimes an article title just speaks volumes to your reader base

quote:

Twitter accounts dedicated to marijuana use are more likely than not to extol the smoking of weed, celebrate its terminology and paraphernalia, recommend the advantages of having sex while high, praise the calming and/or restorative effects of a nice fat blunt - and are also especially popular with potheads in the 17 to 19 demographic, musicians and basketball fans, a study from the Washington University School of Medicine in St Louis, MO, has found.

The startlingly insightful study - funded, of course, by the US taxpayer via the National Center for Research Resources - analysed six months' of tweets from the popular Twitter handle @stillblazingtho (aka Weed Tweets) which has over one million followers.

Here are some of its findings.

58 per cent of its Tweets appeared to be jokey/humorous

"Happy Hump Day. Get high and hump someone" and "Facebook makes me hate people I actually know. Twitter makes me want to smoke blunts with people I've never met."

18 per cent suggested that marijuana makes you feel good.

"Stress can pull you down but weed can lift you right back up" "A little herb can calm a lot of nerve."

15 per cent advocated frequent usage

"I need a joint. Or two. Or three" "Weed is my morning cup of coffee"

10 per cent concerned paraphernalia/techniques/terminology

"If at first you don't succeed roll a blunt and smoke some weed." "How to make weed brownies" [with link]

10 per cent concerned "risky behaviors"

"Drugs tear friends apart. Weed brings them closer." "The best thing about getting high and having sex is getting high and having sex."

8 per cent featured motivational or inspiring messages

"Herb is the unification of mankind - Bob Marley"

Among the study's other shock findings were that Weed Tweets' largest demographic were African Americans (42 per cent); that its followers had an income level below the Twitter median; that their main interests were music and basketball; and that their favourite musicians were Wiz Khalifa, Drake, Lil Wayne, Mac Miller, Nicky Minaj, Rihanna and Eminem.

According to unconfirmed rumours, the authors of the study are now considering two projects in a similar vein. The first will examine the Twitter feed of @pontifex in search of evidence that the account holder may be Catholic and based in Vatican City.

The second will study @ursinedefecation in the hope that this may cast new light on bears' outdoor toilet habits in arboreal environments.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/07/02/Shock-new-US-study-dope-smokers-smoke-dope-like-basketball-and-listen-to-rap-music

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 2, 2014

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Around here we get our head lice from poor rural white kids. They took our jobs!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If I'm remembering right, he gets super pissed off if you call him by his actual name. It's like Weiner or something.

E: I forgot, his loving son owns Rockstar energy drink .

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 2, 2014

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

loving idiots don't realize we need the Mexican Christians to bolster our numbers against the rising Muslim hordes.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

quote:

"Facebook makes me hate people I actually know. Twitter makes me want to smoke blunts with people I've never met."

Wow...that's exactly how I feel.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Sometimes an article title just speaks volumes to your reader base

That sounds like interesting research. It's good that government grants are funding a chance for researchers to practice their techniques.

I'm guessing this research might be especially useful because some of the conclusions are things you'd conclude are "obvious." It makes it easier to tell if the research methods are useful. If they had found that the followers of that twitter feed were middle aged suburban mothers, we might need to seriously reevaluate some assumptions.

I hope they continue to do research on twitter. It might be a very important and easy to observe medium for the transmission of cultural capital. Maybe we could use it to track antivax believers to find potential epidemic hotspots that need extra outreach for vaccination. Maybe we can use twitter to track for correlations in breastfeeding vs formula use or any number of public health concerns.

We're not automatically going to know how to do that. Let's prepare for our exploration of the deep wilderness by first testing our tools in the relatively well mapped areas of stoner culture.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Tender Bender posted:

loving idiots don't realize we need the Mexican Christians to bolster our numbers against the rising Muslim hordes.

But I thought they were all dirty Catholics who follow the new communist pope.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Kenzie posted:

I guess he thinks that diseases from these immigrants are going to destroy the White Race like what happened to the American natives. "Do you realize what's going to happen when your daughter comes home with her head crawling with lice?!" He followed this up by saying "I know you're going to call me a racist, or a this-ist, or a that-ist, but you're wrong. I'm not any kind of 'ist'. I'm an epidemiologist. I'm an epidemiologist by training. :smug:"
How the gently caress are head lice related to "them immigrants"? Head lice pop up in basically every school across the country, and if they can find a new host they will happily move in. Lice don't give a gently caress about your gender, race, ethnicity, age, or anything else, they just want your goddamn blood for nutrients.

gently caress, I thought head lice was one of those "everyone has to deal with it at least once in their childhood" sort of things, I remember I had lice once some year in Elementary School, along with a shitload of other kids.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

fade5 posted:

gently caress, I thought head lice was one of those "everyone has to deal with it at least once in their childhood" sort of things, I remember I had lice once some year in Elementary School, along with a shitload of other kids.

Yes but you were one of the good ones

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Oh, they all scream for ice cream. They all scream.

This derail just got really uncomfortable. :ohdear:

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That sounds like interesting research. It's good that government grants are funding a chance for researchers to practice their techniques.

I'm guessing this research might be especially useful because some of the conclusions are things you'd conclude are "obvious." It makes it easier to tell if the research methods are useful. If they had found that the followers of that twitter feed were middle aged suburban mothers, we might need to seriously reevaluate some assumptions.

I hope they continue to do research on twitter. It might be a very important and easy to observe medium for the transmission of cultural capital. Maybe we could use it to track antivax believers to find potential epidemic hotspots that need extra outreach for vaccination. Maybe we can use twitter to track for correlations in breastfeeding vs formula use or any number of public health concerns.

We're not automatically going to know how to do that. Let's prepare for our exploration of the deep wilderness by first testing our tools in the relatively well mapped areas of stoner culture.

That's actually a pretty good point. Congratulations! Your post made me a little smarter.

-Anchor Baby

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Fox News continues to believe that Bioshock Infinite was a prescriptive tale.

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/07/fox-news-swagger-jacks-bioshock-infinite-logo/

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

anonumos posted:

Given the problems at the VA, de facto government healthcare won't be the cinnamon and roses you think it will be. Yes, I do also realize the VA's problems start in Congress, but so will UHC's problems. If there is a public option, it will be attacked from Day 1 and crippled by partisanship long after its beneficial effects are felt by the average citizen.
Oh very likely. I was speaking ideally, without idiots in Congress doing their thing.

So a woman employed full-time by Hobby Lobby who wants to have her health care needs covered is supposed to opt out of the company-provided program and get different insurance out of pocket? I don't think I'm reading this correctly.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

No, the HHS's accommodation means that they will tell the insurance company to pay for it themselves, since it's supposed to be cost-neutral.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Kenzie posted:

Well I hate to interrupt coffee chat, but I think Michael Savage might be my new favorite right wing radio guy.

I was just listening to him and he said that the current flood of immigrants at the border is the "the gravest ever threat to the survival of this nation" and if I wasn't completely delusional when I was hearing this, he said it was the largest and most serious foreign invasion in history. All deliberated orchestrated by Obama of course. I guess he thinks that diseases from these immigrants are going to destroy the White Race like what happened to the American natives. "Do you realize what's going to happen when your daughter comes home with her head crawling with lice?!" He followed this up by saying "I know you're going to call me a racist, or a this-ist, or a that-ist, but you're wrong. I'm not any kind of 'ist'. I'm an epidemiologist. I'm an epidemiologist by training. :smug:"

This stuff is just brilliant. I guess this is timed to coincide with the imminent muslim world takeover and institution of sharia law on a planetary scale that he likes to talk about. Also deliberately orchestrated by Obama of course.

I heard some of that bit where he extolled the virtue of building a border fence by pointing to the Great Wall of China. He said, "they didn't build it as a tourist site for Michelle Obama, they built it to keep the Mongols out." He failed to mention that the Mongols got in anyway and established one of the most powerful and stable dynasties in Chinese history.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

drat, you know...this was the first time that I've seen a group of people from a foriegn country do this you know?

It wasn't like Germans, Chinese, Italians, and Irish people all didn't make similar moves to this country in the 19th and 20th Centuries.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
If you can bear Cenk doing funny voices, he does a pretty nice breakdown of a particularly awful fox news show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0abOlkX4SdM

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Spacedad posted:

If you can bear Cenk doing funny voices, he does a pretty nice breakdown of a particularly awful fox news show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0abOlkX4SdM
It really is a mystery while Republicans can't seem to get those "single ladies" to vote for them when you have guys like that word for word saying that "they make up 1/4 of the voting demographic and they depend on the government for health control, birth control"..."because they don't have husbands to depend on". Just wow.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

cheese posted:

It really is a mystery while Republicans can't seem to get those "single ladies" to vote for them when you have guys like that word for word saying that "they make up 1/4 of the voting demographic and they depend on the government for health control, birth control"..."because they don't have husbands to depend on". Just wow.

I think part of the problem is that the Republican party is pissed off that they need those single ladies. I get the impression that a significant portion of the political right is furious that they can no longer saddle up and ride white males into the halls of power. Women have been voting in this country for 94 years, you'd think everyone would be used to it, by now.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Centripetal Horse posted:

I think part of the problem is that the Republican party is pissed off that they need those single ladies. I get the impression that a significant portion of the political right is furious that they can no longer saddle up and ride white males into the halls of power. Women have been voting in this country for 94 years, you'd think everyone would be used to it, by now.

But for most of those 94 years, the majority of voting women were married, and married women tended to vote far more conservatively than their single counterparts.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FuzzySkinner posted:

drat, you know...this was the first time that I've seen a group of people from a foriegn country do this you know?

It wasn't like Germans, Chinese, Italians, and Irish people all didn't make similar moves to this country in the 19th and 20th Centuries.

Anglo-Saxons are the best people in the world and get to do whatever the gently caress they want. Get with it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Anglo-Saxons are the best people in the world and get to do whatever the gently caress they want. Get with it.

It's sad really.

These people are literally the worst this country has to offer [Tea Party/Protesters], and I will actually say immigrants are some of the best.

I keep thinking of the greater political scope of this. I always get the vibe that republicans like to play the blame game shifting problems about the economy or any number of things on Minorities, Women and everything else they dislike in their 1860's-like mindset.

A candidate for president literally blamed Homosexuality as the cause for our weak economy. loving pathetic.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Centripetal Horse posted:

The right went into hysterics over their perception of political correctness over the last decade or two... that mixed with the existential pain of the failure of Bush and conservative policies in general, mixed with their shrinking base demo and the cherry-on-top of having to call a black guy "president", just sent them into a sort of angsty psychosis/paranoia where everyone except conservative white males is the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's sad really.

These people are literally the worst this country has to offer [Tea Party/Protesters], and I will actually say immigrants are some of the best.

I keep thinking of the greater political scope of this. I always get the vibe that republicans like to play the blame game shifting problems about the economy or any number of things on Minorities, Women and everything else they dislike in their 1860's-like mindset.

A candidate for president literally blamed Homosexuality as the cause for our weak economy. loving pathetic.

That's an ages-old political tradition, though. You find somebody or something to blame and you focus a powerful and/or large sector of your society into hating them mercilessly. It takes less effort and leads to more influence than, you know, actually fixing the drat problems.

How much islamophobia and homophobia do we still hear these days?