Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are there any OEMs that make office desktops with SSDs in yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Caged posted:

Are there any OEMs that make office desktops with SSDs in yet?

All of them?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Sickening posted:

I have found that cloning a non-ssd disk to a ssd disk hasn't gone all that smooth in my experience. Anybody else have a tool that they have used to do the cloning between different sized disks that wasn't a pain in the butt to use? I never had issues with cloning anything until I have wanted to move to ssds.

Obviously varies by brand, but my Samsung SSD's came with a cloning utility - used it on the wife's system to move her platter to the SSD after clearing up enough space. Zero issues so far after about 6 months or so.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

John Kruk posted:

All of them?

Not on the OptiPlex 9020 or 7010s, the HP equivalents etc.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I got an HP Z230 workstation that came with an SSD. Probably a little higher performance than a regular workstation though.

I'd imagine you could get a prodesk or elitedesk with an SSD, but good luck navigating HP's bullshit site to find a SKU that would work. I just always ask our supplier.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Caged posted:

We deploy HP Elites at my place and just got in like 250 Elite 800 G1 with SSDs. Not sure on Optiplex but I would be amazed if there wasn't a model offering that had SSDs. The markup is generally atrocious though.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Caged posted:

Their website is incredibly lovely. If I select the 9020, they don't seem to offer a choice to change the hard drive at all. However, if I filter by Solid State Drive, they do offer 9020's with an SSD:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Maybe that option hasn't made it across the pond yet. I also don't want to have to go to an i7 to spec an SSD, but I suspect Dell probably know this. 8GB RAM, i5, 256GB SSD and dual display outputs is the entirety of my shopping list.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Everywhere I've worked where PTO was a thing, I couldn't take more than a day at a time. Hell, when I took sick time, I would get calls and have to remotely debug with a fever or cluster headache or somesuch. It sucks being literally "the only person we trust to fix X if it breaks."

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

sfwarlock posted:

Everywhere I've worked where PTO was a thing, I couldn't take more than a day at a time. Hell, when I took sick time, I would get calls and have to remotely debug with a fever or cluster headache or somesuch. It sucks being literally "the only person we trust to fix X if it breaks."

Paid time off is paid time off, not paid time off but also you are on call. IT is notorious for this kind of poo poo, but sometimes you just need to say "gently caress you, pay me."

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Caged posted:

Maybe that option hasn't made it across the pond yet. I also don't want to have to go to an i7 to spec an SSD, but I suspect Dell probably know this. 8GB RAM, i5, 256GB SSD and dual display outputs is the entirety of my shopping list.

Yeah, with the obscene markup on those systems, we just go to CDW and buy Samsung SSD's. They're less expensive and I know Samsung is a reliable drive. I have no idea who makes the drive that Dell stocks. Knowing them, they have multiple vendors they source and it would be a crapshoot as to which you get.

sfwarlock posted:

It sucks being literally "the only person we trust to fix X if it breaks."
Yup. I've yelled at more than one co-worker for calling me multiple times while I was attempting to enjoy my lovely 1 week vacation. I've written documentation on most things. Other things can more often than not be Googled to resolve.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

sfwarlock posted:

The response to this is, "then bring another person in who you can trust, because I need this time off for X days and I am legally entitled to it, and this situation is not sustainable." The reality is eventually the "only person they can trust" is going to be unavailable when something bad happens, or at least ultimately leave the company at some point. The business is not going to collapse the day that happens, and if it does it is not the fault of the one IT guy. Business-critical system + single point of failure (the one IT guy) is begging on your knees for disaster.

What "you're the only person we trust to fix X if it breaks" really means is, "I smell a sucker and I don't want to spend money on another employee." They aren't going to fail without you. They just want you to think that so you'll feel important while they walk all over you. Managers are very good at this kind of manipulation, and people like us want to feel important.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

TWBalls posted:

Their website is incredibly lovely. If I select the 9020, they don't seem to offer a choice to change the hard drive at all. However, if I filter by Solid State Drive, they do offer 9020's with an SSD:

Ultra Small Form Factor all the way. :getin:

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Caged posted:

Just call your Dell Rep and tell them the spec you want.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dick Trauma posted:

Ultra Small Form Factor all the way. :getin:

That's what we're trying to purchase this year. Parent company sent us a bunch of full sized desktops last year. Those fuckers are hard to place in a cramped nursing station. We ended up having to purchase a bunch of PC mounts and mounted them under the desk, which didn't make Plant-Ops too happy (we're not allowed to install the mounts ourselves).

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

TWBalls posted:

Yup. I've yelled at more than one co-worker for calling me multiple times while I was attempting to enjoy my lovely 1 week vacation. I've written documentation on most things. Other things can more often than not be Googled to resolve.

I've been in this industry for like 15 years and I still sometimes have this vague and unsettling worry that one of these days people are going to figure out that most of what I do is Googling poo poo and figuring out how to apply something some dude on StackOverflow or LinuxForums suggested to whatever it is I'm trying to do. :ohdear:

Also, BYOD + cheap prepaid plan with no roaming + international travel is a great way to avoid the dreaded "phone calls on vacation" issue... :v:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I just finished setting up a special snowflake 9020 with an SSD for someone. It did have an i7 (and 32GB of ram, which is ~24GBs that will never be used).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Ordered a circuit with static IP from CenturyLink for a Seattle location that is about to move and needs new service. Modem arrived within a couple of days, local staff plugged it in so I could test it, then I programmed a router to ship up to them for their move today from the old space.

New router isn't working with their circuit. Why?

CenturyLink changed the IP.

Guess I should've paid more for the Super Extra Static IP plan.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

KennyTheFish posted:

Just call your Dell Rep and tell them the spec you want.

I'll try that after I've been down the pub for lunch. Should take the edge off it.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

dennyk posted:

I've been in this industry for like 15 years and I still sometimes have this vague and unsettling worry that one of these days people are going to figure out that most of what I do is Googling poo poo and figuring out how to apply something some dude on StackOverflow or LinuxForums suggested to whatever it is I'm trying to do. :ohdear:
I'm not too worried about this. I've Googled stuff while sitting at the users desk on more than one occasion.

quote:

Also, BYOD + cheap prepaid plan with no roaming + international travel is a great way to avoid the dreaded "phone calls on vacation" issue... :v:
The only people that have my number are my boss and co-workers. I already pay almost $200./mo for my service, I shouldn't have to pay more for piece of mind. These lazy asses should have some consideration and just suck it up until I come back to work next week. I don't contact them unless it's an emergency (I've looked at documentation, Googled asked other co-workers. Basically, I've exhausted all other resources). They should have the same courtesy.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

dennyk posted:

It's a few hundred steps ahead of "clam up and call for help" so I think we're all safe for a long time. Yeah a lot of issues are solved by Googling, but it's the thought process that leads to the Google query being structured in the way it is that is the valuable part. By the time you get to Google you've already eliminated tens or hundreds of possible causes to the issue.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

dennyk posted:

Don't worry. This is actually a skill, and it involves more brain power than you realize until you really think about what is going on when you do what you're describing. Most people do not have the capacity for it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Che Delilas posted:

The response to this is, "then bring another person in who you can trust, because I need this time off for X days and I am legally entitled to it, and this situation is not sustainable." The reality is eventually the "only person they can trust" is going to be unavailable when something bad happens, or at least ultimately leave the company at some point. The business is not going to collapse the day that happens, and if it does it is not the fault of the one IT guy. Business-critical system + single point of failure (the one IT guy) is begging on your knees for disaster.

What "you're the only person we trust to fix X if it breaks" really means is, "I smell a sucker and I don't want to spend money on another employee." They aren't going to fail without you. They just want you to think that so you'll feel important while they walk all over you. Managers are very good at this kind of manipulation, and people like us want to feel important.

This is really important. If you are "the only person we trust," then your organization is not staffing adequately. That is not your problem.

Speaking of which, we are now dealing with this at my organization. Typically we have multiple people staffed at every site, both for workload reasons and for redundancy, in case someone is sick. We are currently running at half of our normal staffing level, because one person is incapacitated and the others we were told we couldn't keep positions for. The immediate result is that I am rapidly losing my mind and having to triage as best I can. If anyone is out for any reason -- vacation, sick, whatever -- a primary work site isn't getting covered. We have tried explaining this to senior management and so far they are ignoring us. This is likely another sign that I need a new job.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Yeah, I just finished setting up a special snowflake 9020 with an SSD for someone. It did have an i7 (and 32GB of ram, which is ~24GBs that will never be used).

Clearly your special snowflake doesn't use Firefox.

Digitalpope
Feb 12, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Clearly your special snowflake doesn't use Firefox.

Jesus....gently caress firefox's memory handling...that thing runs like complete dogshit with high tab loads, 64 bit or not. My laptop at the office is no slouch, 2nd gen i7, 12gb ram, 256gb ssd and a pair of 500gb platters, but firefox finds a way to make things run slow. I tried to use it for a few weeks and had to go back to chrome. Sure, the CRM runs better on firefox, but that's the ONLY thing it's better at.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Digitalpope posted:

Jesus....gently caress firefox's memory handling...that thing runs like complete dogshit with high tab loads, 64 bit or not. My laptop at the office is no slouch, 2nd gen i7, 12gb ram, 256gb ssd and a pair of 500gb platters, but firefox finds a way to make things run slow. I tried to use it for a few weeks and had to go back to chrome. Sure, the CRM runs better on firefox, but that's the ONLY thing it's better at.

Waterfox for 64bit.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

Ordered a circuit with static IP from CenturyLink for a Seattle location that is about to move and needs new service. Modem arrived within a couple of days, local staff plugged it in so I could test it, then I programmed a router to ship up to them for their move today from the old space.

New router isn't working with their circuit. Why?

CenturyLink changed the IP.

Guess I should've paid more for the Super Extra Static IP plan.

CenturyLink is complete loving garbage

Every time we have a client's network go down, and they use CenturyLink, the ticket ends up like:

• Restart modem
  • Issue still happening
  • Call CenturyLink
  • "oh no we checked our side of the problem sir and the problem is definitely on your end, try resetting the modem again"
  • Restart modem, no change
  • "try rebooting it again"
  • Do absolutely nothing, tell them you reset the modem
  • "aha, that last reset must have fixed things because we see everything entirely up and running for you again."

I swear to god they just give me the runaround on resetting anything that looks vaguely like a modem/router until they fix whatever gently caress-up is on their end

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
"I didn't pay for the warranty to touch the server. You send someone out to troubleshoot the system and make sure you send every part."

Seriously - you buy a system, stick it somewhere not within easy walking distance, and then when things go down you decide to go the lazy way out. And you're the IT administrator.

I mean, it's not like throwing parts at a situation will ever make things worse and waste more time than troubleshooting would.... (and that's not including a software issues where the person cannot believe it isn't hardware)

I do work with people who have reasonable issues doing troubleshooting (such as being state or so away) but I'm not going to send every part imaginable, and when the data center is literally right across the street or the server is even in the same building...

(BTW: we don't have free onsite troubleshooting and yet people want us to make it happen anyways)

stevewm
May 10, 2005

death .cab for qt posted:

CenturyLink is complete loving garbage

Every time we have a client's network go down, and they use CenturyLink, the ticket ends up like:

• Restart modem
  • Issue still happening
  • Call CenturyLink
  • "oh no we checked our side of the problem sir and the problem is definitely on your end, try resetting the modem again"
  • Restart modem, no change
  • "try rebooting it again"
  • Do absolutely nothing, tell them you reset the modem
  • "aha, that last reset must have fixed things because we see everything entirely up and running for you again."

I swear to god they just give me the runaround on resetting anything that looks vaguely like a modem/router until they fix whatever gently caress-up is on their end

I work for a chain of retail stores spread out over a good portion of the state, as such I deal with multiple ISPs large and small. Every single one operates their tech support in this manner. It is ALWAYS a problem on your end, never theirs. Frontier is particularly bad about this. A few of our locations have Frontier DSL as their backup and some even as their primary connection. When it goes down, typically every location in the same area on Frontier looses service at the same time, indicating a major problem on Frontier's end. Tell their tech support this however and they just ignore it. Some even refuse to go any further unless you hook up the modem directly to a computer bypassing your router, or reboot your computer, etc.. Statewide outage? Reboot your computer, that will fix it!

One of the local fiber ISPs; if you call and tell them ALL of your services are out (Phone, internet, etc..) will STILL have you reset your computer and then reset winsock, flush DNS cache, etc.. Its like they have a script that every agent is required to follow no matter the circumstance. I imagine if was to call and say the ONT was on fire, they would still want me to reboot the router and/or computer.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
One of the reasons I'm irrationally defensive of my ISP is that their customer service has been really good (well, the phone service at least, the in-person stuff is still awful.) The techs you get seem to have some modicum of technical training and more than that, actually get given the tools to help you resolve issues rather than just having to schedule a service call to get anything done.

I've also had a pair of astoundingly good experiences with TWC support within the last week or so.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 3, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
"Dogstile why did you not tell x about her ticket being down, you took a call from them earlier".

"I did, I sent emails, I called plenty of times, she didn't pick up".

"Oh she wasn't by her phone, she was doing *things*, you should have called around".

I loving did you knob, check the call logs, check the emails, jesus. gently caress managers who don't check before they accuse.

(Co-worker works in a different building, I did call around and try and get a message to her, I was somehow the one who was still bollocked for the site down, woo)

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

dennyk posted:

I got advice from a former boss 15 years ago that I only took to heart recently. He was a CPA/tax attorney and he said something along the lines of, "Accountants, lawyers, IT, etc. - we all do things for people that they can do themselves. We do those things better and faster because we do them all the time and that's worth what we're paid to do them."

Yes, anyone can Google the answer to a problem given enough time. We can do it better and faster because we have the expertise necessary to separate the signal from the noise. I have no reservations about googling that 0x code in front of someone to find out an answer.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

vibur posted:

I got advice from a former boss 15 years ago that I only took to heart recently. He was a CPA/tax attorney and he said something along the lines of, "Accountants, lawyers, IT, etc. - we all do things for people that they can do themselves. We do those things better and faster because we do them all the time and that's worth what we're paid to do them."

Yes, anyone can Google the answer to a problem given enough time. We can do it better and faster because we have the expertise necessary to separate the signal from the noise. I have no reservations about googling that 0x code in front of someone to find out an answer.

Hate to burst his (and perhaps your) bubble, but this is completely wrong. Our jobs are not "googling" things to see how they are done. Yes, we do that from time to time, but we (should!) have a base set of skills that allow us to get to the point where we understand what we need to search for. If searching Google is the first step you take, perhaps this is the wrong line of work.

Fact of the matter is, some people are good at things, while others are not. Troubleshooting is a skill that many people do not possess.

Edit : To further this point, I firmly believe that in order to be good at this line of work you need to be very curious in general. If you are satisfied with the bare basics of how things work, "IT" is not something you will go far with. It is a different line of work than many fields, due to the ever changing nature of it.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 3, 2014

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Digitalpope posted:

Firefox is the most efficient browser with many tabs open, so confirm you don't have a lovely plug-in or extension installed that's breaking memory management. Adblock will multiply memory usage for example, because of the additional elements it adds to the page over the top of the ads its hiding. Check the Firefox thread for more information. Firefox's excellent memory management is one of the primary reasons to use it over other browsers so it sounds like something must be wrong to cause the experience you're having.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 3, 2014

Digitalpope
Feb 12, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Waterfox for 64bit.

I tried that, but it still runs like poo poo when I start to hit high tab loads, comparatively. I load more before it goes 'welp, no more memory for your bullshit' like firefox does, but it's still slow.

I do, however, admit to using tab loads that are possible ridiculous by most definitions. I just get pulled around at random, so I just open up new browser instances and tab away inside that....currently sitting at 8 windows and ~85 tabs open between them, looking at task manager.

Digitalpope fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 3, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Hate to burst his (and perhaps your) bubble, but this is completely wrong. Our jobs are not "googling" things to see how they are done. Yes, we do that from time to time, but we (should!) have a base set of skills that allow us to get to the point where we understand what we need to search for. If searching Google is the first step you take, perhaps this is the wrong line of work.

Fact of the matter is, some people are good at things, while others are not. Troubleshooting is a skill that many people do not possess.

Edit : To further this point, I firmly believe that in order to be good at this line of work you need to be very curious in general. If you are satisfied with the bare basics of how things work, "IT" is not something you will go far with. It is a different line of work than many fields, due to the ever changing nature of it.
If someone says they had a BSOD and there's a bugcheck code in the event viewer, my first step is plugging that number into Google. gently caress you.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

anthonypants posted:

If someone says they had a BSOD and there's a bugcheck code in the event viewer, my first step is plugging that number into Google. gently caress you.

What you mean you dont memorize things like Reset input pipe failed (0xc000000e)? I'm never afraid to Google something. Sure it's nice to be able to know all of the basics in your head but if SCCM spits off some random error like this I'm checking Google. You do need to know enough to be able to find the pertinent info out of everything out there.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I think your view is extremely narrow and unrealistic. Its more likely that the largest part of our IT workforce doesn't fit into your view of black and white and yet the world keeps spinning.

I mean it feels like there might be a credible point in there somewhere, but your need to sound like a dick simply wipes it all out.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Inspector_666 posted:

One of the reasons I'm irrationally defensive of my ISP is that their customer service has been really good (well, the phone service at least, the in-person stuff is still awful.) The techs you get seem to have some modicum of technical training and more than that, actually get given the tools to help you resolve issues rather than just having to schedule a service call to get anything done.

I've also had a pair of astoundingly good experiences with TWC support within the last week or so.

If you can get the T2/3 line techs to come to your house, they will fix poo poo the first time. These guys are actually employed by TWC and not third party contractors.

Anytime you work with an ISP and the problem isn't resolved, call back in every 2~ weeks, and don't stop calling them and logging issues.

Eventually some manager is going to get in deep poo poo and they're going to fix your problem come hell or high water.

Don't ever let someone give you a personal number, or extension, always go through the bullshit of getting escalated. It leaves notes on the account, notes that can't be ignored for closure rates.

4 months calling, bitching to get a real line tech out, to figure out that our lines from the poll for our installation were hosed. Replaced cabling, outside, redid our inside cabling, and magically 99% of the problems went away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Commodore 64 posted:

Pissing me off: My boss has a fear of SSD's. He's warming up to them for laptops, but doesn't want to use them in our desktop refresh.

"Life spans!"
*ignores our failed trad. Seagate HD's*
*thinks Crucial/OCZ SSD's are just like Samsung/Intel SSD's*

I'm pretty sure I'd face the same problem. Unfortunately when decent SSDs were only just hitting the consumer market a few years ago, there was all the alarmism about write cycles and it just spread like wildfire. He is the type who insists that you turn off swap, access times, and a million other tweaks to make it write as little as possible because all the panic articles a few years ago said you SSD won't last 5 minutes otherwise.

I took my old Intel X25-M G2 out to upgrade to something bigger (I can at least get them myself for "evaluation" purposes ;)) and suggested giving it to someone with a thrashy machine. "But it'll be pretty worn out by now!"
I checked the wear indicator. 99% left. That's after about 3-4 years of abuse.