Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Cernunnos posted:

I wouldn't call tapping down my opponents entire field then dropping an additional Satyr and swinging all in a completely lovely combo.

Its a lot of cards to get that combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Cernunnos posted:

I wouldn't call tapping down my opponents entire field then dropping an additional Satyr and swinging all in a completely lovely combo.

It would probably be more efficient to put 4 Stormbreath, 4 Polukranos, and maybe 1 Aetherling in the deck and just activate Xenagos' ultimate each turn for the quick win.

Edit: I was thinking the deck would mainly be RG Monsters with Veil and Zarek thrown in just for the "oh look, incidental infinite combo!"

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

qbert posted:

Chain Veil + Ral Zarek + Xenagos, the Reveler w/4 creatures out = infinite Planeswalker activations?

Yeah I know it's a pretty lovely combo but at least with RZ's ultimate you can basically take infinite turns.

I was thinking chain veil, tezz the seeker, any 4 mana artifact. edh superfriends deck. Here is my chosen win condition. Domri's emblem, Elspeth KE's emblem, Venser makes creatures unblockable. Vraska makes her 3 assasins who have haste, hexproof, indestructible, unblockable, when they hit your opponent loses. I'm just not sure which multicolor commander is best. Pack the deck with all the planeswalkers, tutors, ramp basically.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

jassi007 posted:

I was thinking chain veil, tezz the seeker, any 4 mana artifact. edh superfriends deck. Here is my chosen win condition. Domri's emblem, Elspeth KE's emblem, Venser makes creatures unblockable. Vraska makes her 3 assasins who have haste, hexproof, indestructible, unblockable, when they hit your opponent loses. I'm just not sure which multicolor commander is best. Pack the deck with all the planeswalkers, tutors, ramp basically.

I feel like once you go infinite with Tezzeret the Seeker and Chain Veil, your entire loving deck can hit the table all at once because it's all artifacts anyway. As a bonus, your deck now does something besides ramp into a five-card win combo, because artifacts are good.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I think I was reading Chain Veil wrong, it only gives you one additional activation. So if you manage to untap and reactivate it, you can't use your Planeswalkers a third time. That sucks.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I think I was reading Chain Veil wrong, it only gives you one additional activation. So if you manage to untap and reactivate it, you can't use your Planeswalkers a third time. That sucks.

Really? It says you can activate a loyalty ability as though none have been activated yet. Why should it matter whether you've already used one or two loyalty abilities that turn?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

l3 judge and Northwestern US regional coordinater Riki Hayashi thought the same, but found out he was wrong. @mtgRikipedia It can go infinite.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Well in that case the Ral/Nissa infinite combo is actually pretty legit, but whether or not you can assemble a deck around that is another story entirely.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You can only double-activate a planeswalker if you controlled it when you activated the Chain Veil, right? So e.g., if you activate chain veil, +1 Ajani twice to dig for another walker, cast that walker.. you can't double-activate that walker.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

newly spoiled card, it's kind of cute

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Please tell me there's a pinger in the set.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Oh my that flavor. :3:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Entropic posted:

Chandra ping yourself?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Entropic posted:

You can only double-activate a planeswalker if you controlled it when you activated the Chain Veil, right? So e.g., if you activate chain veil, +1 Ajani twice to dig for another walker, cast that walker.. you can't double-activate that walker.

Right, it would have to be on the board when you activate chain veil.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Elyv posted:

Actually I just want to Chord of Calling this to surprise-block my opponent's giant monstrous Polukranos or something, and then swing back for like 6 in the air next turn while still leaving back a flying deathtouch blocker or two.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Volcanic Hellion targetting Hornet's nest.

or Blasphemous act whenever.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Entropic posted:

Actually I just want to Chord of Calling this to surprise-block my opponent's giant monstrous Polukranos or something, and then swing back for like 6 in the air next turn while still leaving back a flying deathtouch blocker or two.

I was just thinking the same thing. I love the flavor in G/B right now. I'm not usually one to like G, but so far the spoilers in G have looked pretty fun to tool around with.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

This made me think, how many times have they printed a common/uncommon pinger in a standard legal set in the last 5 or so years? The only ones I can think of offhand are Izzet Staticaster in RTR and I guess Brimstone Mage back in ROE. It just doesn't seem to be a thing they do regularly anymore.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Elyv posted:

Where's my drat insect lord?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Elyv posted:

flavortown USA

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Snacksmaniac posted:

Where's my drat insect lord?

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/cards/magic-2015/23194-obelisk-of-urd

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
So since there's a new set coming out, there should be a new Banned/Restricted list update. Any predictions? It seems like every format is pretty static right now. The last relevant changes were banning Deathrite Shaman while unbanning Bitterblossom and Wild Nacatl in Modern, and clearly that didn't break the format.

Someone at my LGS was making the argument that, now that DRS is out of Modern, Bloodbraid Elf may be safe to bring back in. Seems unlikely but stranger things have happened.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Elyv posted:

Now if there was a way to repeatedly kick this hornet's nest...

I want to give it indestructible and hit it with Shivan Meteors. Or have 4 out and Blasphemous Act the board.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

So since there's a new set coming out, there should be a new Banned/Restricted list update. Any predictions? It seems like every format is pretty static right now. The last relevant changes were banning Deathrite Shaman while unbanning Bitterblossom and Wild Nacatl in Modern, and clearly that didn't break the format.

Someone at my LGS was making the argument that, now that DRS is out of Modern, Bloodbraid Elf may be safe to bring back in. Seems unlikely but stranger things have happened.

No major changes, maybe one or two of the cards banned in like 2000 or earlier in Legacy get unbanned and change nothing significant.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tardigrade posted:

Now if there was a way to repeatedly kick this hornet's nest...

I want to give it indestructible and hit it with Shivan Meteors. Or have 4 out and Blasphemous Act the board.

No need to get too violent. Here's my Magical Christmas Land: Turn 1 Forbidden Orchard, Birds of Paradise, turn 2 Forbidden Orchard, Hornet Nest, turn 3 land, Blasphemous Act and then Chord of Calling for Flame-Kin Zealot, attack for 19.

If I played Hornet Nest and Blasphemous Act in a deck with Chord of Calling, what's the best creature in Modern to find with the Chord? I think in Standard at least Chord of Calling decks will want a one-off Hornet Nest because it's a great combat trick.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 2, 2014

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Entropic posted:

Yep, this is what I want as well. Plus, Obelisk of Urd. This is shaping up nicely.

edit: going U/G and getting some Master Biomancers in there too.

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 2, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

Overload Mizziun Mortars.
Chord in response, finding Hornet's Nest :smuggo:

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Elyv posted:

Chord for this to block, then next turn use the bugs to Chord again!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

M-my color pie :qq:

So many green fliers!

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

If I played Hornet Nest and Blasphemous Act in a deck with Chord of Calling, what's the best creature in Modern to find with the Chord? I think in Standard at least Chord of Calling decks will want a one-off Hornet Nest because it's a great combat trick.

Craterhoof Behemoth's gotta be up there. A 19/19 hasty trampler on his own, and if that somehow isn't enough, you wait a turn and get that plus a swarm of 15/15 bugs.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Nice try.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I'm a bit late to Token Supertype chat, but if Token were becoming a supertype then wouldn't a Clone copying a token gain the Token supertype despite not actually being a token? That seems like a pretty good reason to keep Token from being a supertype.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
With only 40ish cards left to spoil, it appears that protection may be phased out as an evergreen mechanic. I know Maro has listed it as one that is unintuitive for new players, so I'm not surprised. Also regenerate only seems to appear as a conditional clause on Flesh to Dust, so it might be following suit.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Ban Batterskull unban SFM. I know it's not going to happen but I'd love to use her to fetch some swords.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Entropic posted:

Not yet, though I'd love to see a RUG Staticaster deck built for Super Standard.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Okay so...
T1 Mana dork
T2 two creatures, mana dorks optional
T3 Xenagos + Satyr
T4 Xenagos mana to play chain veil, Hard cast Ral zarek
T5, Satyr + Chain Veil + Ral Zarek on the veil and an opponent's permanent, Xenagos mana ramp for 5, chain veil. Repeat until you have infintie-ish mana and all of your opponent's permanents are tapped down. Xenagos and Ral zarek have infinte Loyalty, you have infinte mana and infinte turns, which you don't need because Ral zarek has infinte lightning bolts.

Is a thing that could happen with RUG? Are there any good RUG legendary creatures to use as EDH generals?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The dollar store random 10 card packs don't seem like the worst deal in the world (they do include a land, though, and only ~2 uncommons and no rares). Not as frugal as buying singles, but with a little bit more excitement. A poor man's limited type game with these might be fun.

Picking up anything edible was a mistake, though.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Elyv posted:

Someone playing against a RG deck with Hornet Nest on the board swings in with a pile of 4+ toughness fatties. RG guy Lightning Blasts his Hornet's Nest, eats the big things with bugs :3:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Gensuki posted:

Okay so...
T1 Mana dork
T2 two creatures, mana dorks optional
T3 Xenagos + Satyr
T4 Xenagos mana to play chain veil, Hard cast Ral zarek
T5, Satyr + Chain Veil + Ral Zarek on the veil and an opponent's permanent, Xenagos mana ramp for 5, chain veil. Repeat until you have infintie-ish mana and all of your opponent's permanents are tapped down. Xenagos and Ral zarek have infinte Loyalty, you have infinte mana and infinte turns, which you don't need because Ral zarek has infinte lightning bolts.

Is a thing that could happen with RUG? Are there any good RUG legendary creatures to use as EDH generals?

Assuming that you do all this in the same turn, your number of turns from Ral Zarek are actually bounded since you only get one extra (with which you would use another +1) Ral activation every time you +1 with him. It's even possible to get 0 extra turns.

You could just win with infinite 2/2 satyrs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Rinkles posted:

The dollar store random 10 card packs don't seem like the worst deal in the world (they do include a land, though, and only ~2 uncommons and no rares). Not as frugal as buying singles, but with a little bit more excitement. A poor man's limited type game with these might be fun.

Picking up anything edible was a mistake, though.

What kinds of magic stores do you visit exactly?

These all sound like poo poo. Don't waste your money on poo poo. You hear me? Don't buy 10 card no-rare packs. Don't buy store repacks. Don't give money to stores that won't let you play with your friends.

• Locked thread