Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Most of the time might just be coding shaders, since Half-Life 1 was never designed to look anywhere near that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Why bang your head against the limitations of the Goldsrc engine and not just switch to Source? It just seems very inefficient to keep doing so. Hell, the Morrowind modding crew just outright developed an opensource engine so they can skirt the DLL injection route and just implement their own stuff. Mechwarrior: Living Legends actually switched engines like 3 times during the course of development.

CHUMPVILLE
Feb 25, 2006
YOUR FAVOURITE
Which, if any, of the Dragon Ball games are worth seeking out to play? Across any console?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

CHUMPVILLE posted:

Which, if any, of the Dragon Ball games are worth seeking out to play? Across any console?

For (somewhat) recent games: Budokai HD Collection has Budokai 3 which a lot of people have rose tinted glasses about (Myself included). I bought the collection and was disappointed. Going to nip that right in the bud. The rock paper scissors combat for the "Dragon Rush" just doesn't hold up.

There is tons of love for the Budokai Tenkaichi games, especially 3. It has probably one of the largest rosters. Otherwise you are looking at their new versions, which is Raging Blast for the Tankaichi (Third person over the shoulder fighter ) style, or Burst Limit for the Budokai 3 style ( 2D Fighter ).

As for games previous to those, there is a dearth of pretty great GBA games that I have only a passing experience with.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Raging Blast 2 is pretty cool. I like that you can swat away an opponent's beam attack. I remember knocking one away at nearly point blank range and pissing off the guy I was playing against.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
The only battle worth fighting is a rap battle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jtQ1r_CdS0

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Captain Quack posted:

The only battle worth fighting is a rap battle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jtQ1r_CdS0

Disappointed this isn't the black vegetas but it's still pretty good if for nothing but the piccolo

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I like Budokai Tenkaichi 3 on the Wii, just because I can make the kamehameha hand pose and Goku will do it.

CHUMPVILLE
Feb 25, 2006
YOUR FAVOURITE
Do any of these games strike the right balance between good, addictive gameplay wherein you actually FEEL like a Z fighter, while also telling the whole Dragon Ball narrative, or am I asking for too much? Do any of them at least have strong gameplay?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

CHUMPVILLE posted:

Do any of these games strike the right balance between good, addictive gameplay wherein you actually FEEL like a Z fighter, while also telling the whole Dragon Ball narrative, or am I asking for too much? Do any of them at least have strong gameplay?

Personally the only one that I felt really came close to capturing the feel of a DBZ battle is Dragonball Z: Idainaru Dragonball Densetsu on the Playstation and Sega Saturn. The rest are either RPG's or play too much like a third-person Street Fighter for my tastes.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Pyroi posted:

I like Budokai Tenkaichi 3 on the Wii, just because I can make the kamehameha hand pose and Goku will do it.

This. Funny thing is that the Kamehameha works without motion sensor, a fact I found out while testing with an emulator. A lot of other moves you wouldn't really believe, uses the Wiimote though and it made some combinations impossible without a cheap IR thing I don't own.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
I'm over the moon at the thought someone may release a DBZ fighter on the oculus rift..

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The only person missing from Budokai Tenkaichi 3 is Pui-Pui. A huge oversight on their part but not a deal-breaking flaw. I played the poo poo out of that game when I had it. Pan was my fave character to use.

I might actually play some of these newer games if they gave me what I wanted. No, I don't want SSJ3 Broly or SSJ4 Bardock or whatever the gently caress they are actually doing. I just want a plain old Super Saiyan 1 Pan. Is that too much to frickin' ask?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

NikkolasKing posted:

I just want a plain old Super Saiyan 1 Pan. Is that too much to frickin' ask?

They don't have the technology for that. You'll get Super Saiyan Nappa and love it. Budokai Tenkaichi 3 has Arale, it's the best.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Mordaedil posted:

This. Funny thing is that the Kamehameha works without motion sensor, a fact I found out while testing with an emulator. A lot of other moves you wouldn't really believe, uses the Wiimote though and it made some combinations impossible without a cheap IR thing I don't own.

gently caress the Spirit Bomb motion so hard. No wonder Goku's a sitting duck whenever he uses it if his motion sensor never recognizes the inputs.

NikkolasKing posted:

The only person missing from Budokai Tenkaichi 3 is Pui-Pui. A huge oversight on their part but not a deal-breaking flaw. I played the poo poo out of that game when I had it. Pan was my fave character to use.

He's totally an assist for Babidi (along with the other guy), but there really wasn't much they could do with those 2. They were like, the most throwaway cannon fodder in a while.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

You do remember they had Appule in BT3. And "Frieza Soldier." I mean, come on, do you think it was any easier to make up a movelist for them than it would be for Pui-Pui?

At least Pui-Pui has the honor of being beaten by Buu Saga Vegeta. Pui-Pui could very well be like as strong as Freeza or something.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

You do remember they had Appule in BT3. And "Frieza Soldier." I mean, come on, do you think it was any easier to make up a movelist for them than it would be for Pui-Pui?

At least Pui-Pui has the honor of being beaten by Buu Saga Vegeta. Pui-Pui could very well be like as strong as Freeza or something.

I completely forgot about Frieza Soldier (they even had different models rather than palettes) and just remembered his ultimate ability was a football tackle of all things. Yeah, I got no excuse there.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
They need to make a Budokai Tenkaichi 4 that has every character in the franchise who's so much as thrown a punch in it

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Tenkaichi 4 will be a failure if I can't beat Broly with the Farmer and his gun.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

Tenkaichi 4 will be a failure if I can't beat Broly with the Farmer and his gun.

Only unlocked by playing through the entire Z-saga as Hercule.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Reminder:

WhiffleballDude posted:

Legendary Super Warriors, aka the best DBZ game.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Battle of Z captured the feeling of being the Z fighter if being one involves as much button mashing as it looks like in the show.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I only played the demo ages ago, but Asura's Wrath could be the best DBZ game if they went in that direction instead of pretending to be a fighting game.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Szmitten posted:

I only played the demo ages ago, but Asura's Wrath could be the best DBZ game if they went in that direction instead of pretending to be a fighting game.

The best part about Asura's Wrath was seeing how crazy it got (and also PRESS X TO SHUT HIM UP :getin:) but you cant really do that with DBZ since you already know everything thats gonna happen. I mean its QTE: The Game, so the only thing going for it is how crazy it was.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Think of the awesome death animations though.

PRESS X TO POWER UP TO SUPER SAIYAN
Oh, you didn't do it fast enough. Now Freeza kills everyone.

Man, the Kamehameha Battle between SSJ2 Gohan and Super Perfect Cell be the worst. You'd have to do that poo poo forever and if you slip up at the last second, the solar system explodes. (also I want that to happen just to ignite a whole new wave of DBZ vs. Comics arguments online. "SEE??? IT WASN'T HYPERBOLE WHEN CELL SAID HE COULD BLOW UP THE SOLAR SYSTEM!!")

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Given how awesomely cinematic the Asura's Wrath dudes made all the fight scene cinematics and such in Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, I'd still say they should be given a DBZ license.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Think of the awesome death animations though.

PRESS X TO POWER UP TO SUPER SAIYAN
Oh, you didn't do it fast enough. Now Freeza kills everyone.

Man, the Kamehameha Battle between SSJ2 Gohan and Super Perfect Cell be the worst. You'd have to do that poo poo forever and if you slip up at the last second, the solar system explodes. (also I want that to happen just to ignite a whole new wave of DBZ vs. Comics arguments online. "SEE??? IT WASN'T HYPERBOLE WHEN CELL SAID HE COULD BLOW UP THE SOLAR SYSTEM!!")

If it was like Asura's Wrath there'd be none of that. Even if you fail QTEs the game continues on the exact same.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oh. My bad then. Never played AW. When I think of QTEs I think of Resident Evil 4 and in that game missing the QTEs was usually pretty cool.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Episode 13 of Dragon Ball Kai's current run is pretty great if you're a fan of Mr. Satan (which everyone is). It's the tournament battle royale and it's full of him reacting to #18 with wordless babbling.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oh so the Kai Buu Saga started in Japan? Who did they get to replace his old VA? I didn't watch the Japanese version much but I know he had the same VA as Heihachi in Tekken and he passed away.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
He's now voiced by Professor Oak/Van Hohenheim.

And yeah, it's been going. The Kai editing doesn't do much to make the start of the Buu saga feel less slow, but that said, these thirteen episodes cover what was 30 in the original run.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

And yeah, it's been going. The Kai editing doesn't do much to make the start of the Buu saga feel less slow, but that said, these thirteen episodes cover what was 30 in the original run.

Slow?

The best parts of the Buu saga was when the gang was just doing mundane day-to-day tasks. Watching Vegeta annihilate the punching machine cause he gave zero fucks was the highlight of that tournament arc.

If anything it starts to get slow when the actual threat arrives.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
The mundanity gets chopped up, though. The pacing is really wonky because the editors are largely sticking to chapter lines (two per episode), but the chapters have more or less content in them. So while things have been going breakneck in the big picture, they've also been screwing with the timing on individual scenes to make things work. A lot of good moments happen and are blown right by to get to the next thing when the chapter is dialogue-heavy. But when there's more fighting and less dialogue, the pacing can be more sane. Unless it's a lot of splash panels and very little dialogue. Then two chapters per episode feels a bit sparse and drawn out.

So when I say it's a bit slow, I'm saying that we've spent two episodes waiting for Dabra to power up on the A plot, and watched #18 and the kids (as Mighty Mask) fight in B-plot. Compared to five episodes ago, which were way too fast, it's glacial. No plot is actually happening.

Also, the particular chapter boundaries make for odd cliffhangers. Sometimes the latter half of one episode and the first half of the next would work better as a single episode together, but because there are only so many chapters, they don't do it that way.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 2, 2014

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

Wait.

Is there way less Saiyaman and high school highjinks? :(

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Szmitten posted:

Wait.

We can't have Gohan being the focus of the series, okay?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Szmitten posted:

Wait.

I was saddened too, but there is still enough that I wasn't completely upset with it. Just disappointed.

I still mourn Goku/Piccolo driving. :911:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Azubah posted:

We can't have Gohan being the focus of the series, okay?

Gohan is the strongest in the universe but still doesn't do crap!

I've met my fiar share of Buu Saga fans who insist it's better than Cell Saga but I just can't agree there. It was the most dick move ever to have all loving build-up with the Supreme Kai being all like "Gohan is special" and then whisking him off to train and then his potential beung truly unlocked and then.....loving nothing.

Oh wait, it was actually pretty badass for a whole episode or whatever. Then he gets beaten and all that hype goes down the toilet.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Buu saga had so many balls and it dropped all of them. Seven of them, actually.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I've said it before but the Buu Saga, while massively flawed in a number of ways, is my favorite just because you could tell Toriyama was just having fun with it and it became a self parody at points. Plus there's lots of neat little character moments throughout. I want a spinoff series that doesn't involve any fighting whatsoever and is just the daily lives of Goku and pals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

WhiffleballDude posted:

I've said it before but the Buu Saga, while massively flawed in a number of ways, is my favorite just because you could tell Toriyama was just having fun with it and it became a self parody at points. Plus there's lots of neat little character moments throughout. I want a spinoff series that doesn't involve any fighting whatsoever and is just the daily lives of Goku and pals.

There are probably a million fanfics that explore that if you're interested, my 12 year old self can attest.

My 12 year old self was so bad

• Locked thread