Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Also 99% of teams played excessively defensive, boring football. Spain won the tournament by scoring 8 goals in 6 matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Up until this world cup, the 2010 world cup's only saving grace was having the best World Cup Song TM. It lost that title this year tho.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
I've watched them all since 1982 and the thing about this tournament is the consistently high standard.
All bar about 3 matches have been excellent.

Every World Cup I have seen before has had some loving dire matches with about half the group games being poo poo.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

DickEmery posted:

I've watched them all since 1982 and the thing about this tournament is the consistently high standard.
All bar about 3 matches have been excellent.

Every World Cup I have seen before has had some loving dire matches with about half the group games being poo poo.

Teams are a lot closer in quality than they have ever been before.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It would be interesting to see some figures (and charts?) mapping the leagues that are contributing players to the world cup over time.

Compared to the 1980s and early 1990s how many players are from their domestic leagues vs now where it seems the majority are from England, Spain, Germany, Italy and France.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

JFairfax posted:

It would be interesting to see some figures (and charts?) mapping the leagues that are contributing players to the world cup over time.

Compared to the 1980s and early 1990s how many players are from their domestic leagues vs now where it seems the majority are from England, Spain, Germany, Italy and France.

Here you go (left: countries, right: leagues)

http://gfx.sueddeutsche.de/sport/2014-06-13-WM-Teilnehmer/

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That's fancy chart for sure, and I posted a list with the same info I think.

What I was looking for was the same info but for each of the previous world cups as well to see how things have changed.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

JFairfax posted:

That's fancy chart for sure, and I posted a list with the same info I think.

What I was looking for was the same info but for each of the previous world cups as well to see how things have changed.

Sorry for my horrible reading comprehension, I was phone posting. :blush:

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

Just wanting to thank everyone answering my questions. This forum has been super helpful in getting me into the game and I don't get where that toxic reputation comes from. Thanks would post again! A++++

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

toanoradian posted:

I'm sorry, this forums had always been awful since 1999 :v:

But seriously, what makes the 2010 FIFA World Cup so awful? The only exposure I have of that World Cup is:
1. The vuvuzelas
2. That clip from Daily Show after England vs. USA ended in a draw
3. My friend claiming Brazil's a bit poo poo then compared to previous World Cups.
4. Spain won! Yaaay to Spain?

From MDTs I've read it seems that SA 2010 has a small number of goals. Is that one of the reasons?

It was just really loving boring, defensive and possession football was the trend so most teams just stood back waiting for a mistake from the opponents and the epitome of this was Spain who bored their way to a win while the media fell over lauding their football as the best ever and the actual most entertaining team of the tournament Germany ended in 3rd. It was really forgettable too, there aren't any matches from that tournament that people will be remembering in the future, and the constant loving droning of the vuvuzelas...

quote:

Just wanting to thank everyone answering my questions. This forum has been super helpful in getting me into the game and I don't get where that toxic reputation comes from. Thanks would post again! A++++

TFF trolls trying to besmirch the good name of this, the most troll-free forum in this, the most troll-free website in the world.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Lee Tunnell posted:

We love to help new people who don't know much about the sport and have questions about things they don't understand or aren't clear on op

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lee Tunnell posted:

Some people just can't handle the #banterzone OP

StrungOutFlip
Mar 17, 2009

Alright guys, lets shoot the stars...ohhh you just killed every star!
Do teams from european leagues ever play teams from non-european leagues? I think it would funny to see big teams like Man. U / real madrid etc. play teams like Toronto FC or New York red bulls or even teams in the J-League.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

StrungOutFlip posted:

Do teams from european leagues ever play teams from non-european leagues? I think it would funny to see big teams like Man. U / real madrid etc. play teams like Toronto FC or New York red bulls or even teams in the J-League.

There's a Club World Cup which features the winners of the UEFA Champions League against the winners of the equivalent competitions in the other conferences, but honestly I don't think any of the participants really take it seriously. Other than that, they only play them in non-competitive matches.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Preseason friendlies and made up mickey mouse competitions have them playing each other usually.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Kind of a related question- was the Intercontinental Cup ever taken seriously by either side?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Kind of a related question- was the Intercontinental Cup ever taken seriously by either side?

nah

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
On a few occasions teams even refused playing because they feared their players could get injured.

Garbo
May 30, 2011
I am a bad person with bad purchasing decisions so I bought a month of MLSLive to see if my interest in spectating football would last longer than the World Cup. I have a passable grasp of the on paper tactical side of things from playing a bunch of soccer as a kid but that was in the 90s and I haven't payed any attention since. I'm not sure if this belongs in the MLS thread rather than newbie thread, but I figured I'd ask here first since these are more general questions.

A) I've been watching Sounders games and routinely the game will wind up taking place during rain or heavy fog or something. Are there any indoor soccer stadiums in major leagues, and, if not, how is massively inclement weather handled?

B) Cliff Dempsey, at least in MLS, seems to sometimes forget he's playing soccer and starts to think he works for Vince McMahon. I didn't see any of that side of him in the World Cup; is that because he wound up playing a striker due to injuries or is it just that B tier MLS refs won't call him on dropping elbows left and right?

C) Is there anywhere I could get a brief rundown of leagues and how they stack up against each other? I'm vaguely aware that MLS is B league at best and the Premier League is, well, premier, but where do things like the italian and german and dutch and mexican leagues stack up to one another?

D) In the Belgium v USA match, the commentators talked quite a bit about a friendly that was played earlier between the two that saw Belgium destroy the USA. Is that kind of friendly stuff televised, or do you have to go to sporting type blogs to get knowledge of that? How far in advance are friendlies like that laid out?

E) Finally, when is the next time the USMNT will play competitively? I sort of remember hearing pre-tournament about CONCACAF cups and stuff; is that televised and/or easily viewable?

Garbo fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 3, 2014

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Garbo posted:

I am a bad person with bad purchasing decisions so I bought a month of MLSLive to see if my interest in spectating football would last longer than the World Cup. I have a passable grasp of the on paper tactical side of things from playing a bunch of soccer as a kid but that was in the 90s and I haven't payed any attention since. I'm not sure if this belongs in the MLS thread rather than newbie thread, but I figured I'd ask here first since these are more general questions.

A) I've been watching Sounders games and routinely the game will wind up taking place during rain or heavy fog or something. Are there any indoor soccer stadiums in major leagues, and, if not, how is massively inclement weather handled?

B) Cliff Dempsey, at least in MLS, seems to sometimes forget he's playing soccer and starts to think he works for Vince McMahon. I didn't see any of that side of him in the World Cup; is that because he wound up playing a striker due to injuries or is it just that B tier MLS refs won't call him on dropping elbows left and right?

C) Is there anywhere I could get a brief rundown of leagues and how they stack up against each other? I'm vaguely aware that MLS is B league at best and the Premier League is, well, premier, but where do things like the italian and german and dutch and mexican leagues stack up to one another?

D) In the Belgium v USA match, the commentators talked quite a bit about a friendly that was played earlier between the two that saw Belgium destroy the USA. Is that kind of friendly stuff televised, or do you have to go to sporting type blogs to get knowledge of that? How far in advance are friendlies like that laid out?

E) Finally, when is the next time the USMNT will play competitively? I sort of remember hearing pre-tournament about CONCACAF cups and stuff; is that televised and/or easily viewable?

indoor football/soccer is usually 5 or 6 a side, you can't play in an indoor stadium although you can close the roof of an outdoor stadium, which is somehow different, idk.

idk what any of B means

all you need to know about European leagues is Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga and Premier League are the top four divisions in Europe. France comes 5th, probably, with all the money they're spending. There are teams from all over Europe who play in dreadful leagues but compete reasonably well in the Champions League. The dutch league is slightly higher than scotland, but the difference is negligible. I'm not sure about Mexico or the Argentinan or Brasilian leagues, I'm sure they have some decent teams but I don't see them so someone else will answer that.

Friendlies are usually televised, yes.

I'm sure CONCACAF games will be televised, it would be mad not to show those, but I don't know when they happen.

Garbo
May 30, 2011

stickyfngrdboy posted:

idk what any of B means

Sorry. Cliff Dempsey in MLS plays a much more physical game, pushing and shoving and grabbing at jerseys and such. Is that just a trait of MLS refs being bad and not calling it or is that something that happens at levels of soccer?

Also, reminded by your post: What the hell is Champion's League?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

International friendlies are pretty well advertised. The "US National team general purpose (Jozy is great)" thread is a good place to stay connected to that info.

Garbo posted:

The champions (plus other top teams depending on size & quality) in all the leagues of the different continental confederations have a league where they compete in a tournament similar in structure to the world cup. In most cases people referring to the Champions League are referring to UEFA (Europe's federation).

highme fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 3, 2014

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Garbo posted:

Sorry. Cliff Dempsey in MLS plays a much more physical game, pushing and shoving and grabbing at jerseys and such. Is that just a trait of MLS refs being bad and not calling it or is that something that happens at levels of soccer?

the dempsey thing is probably a bit of both. different country's refs have differing styles of reffing. In England you can get away with a lot more than in most European leagues, although the difference is far lower now than it used to be. International games, in particular world cup games, are usually very strict.

the uefa champions league is the elite club competition fought out every year by the best clubs in europe. It was formerly a straight knockout competition called the European cup, competed by only the teams that won their respective country's top division, but now teams that finish as low as 4th take part in a league format followed by a two-leg knockout stage.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Garbo posted:

Clint. His name is Clint Dempsey.

Garbo
May 30, 2011

The Finn posted:

Well, poo poo.

-edit- I must've heard his name like 50+ times in the past several days. I can't believe I thought it was Cliff.

Garbo fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 3, 2014

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Lol

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The Finn posted:

I prefer Cliff, tbh. That's what we should call him now.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I know I will

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Only losers call him Clint. Cliff is how knowledgeable fans refer to him.

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Our love will last forever

TRP Post Of The Tournament Winner World Cup 2014
i knew cliff dempsey; cliff dempsey was a friend of mine

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
You, sir, are no Cliff Dempsey.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Garbo posted:

Are you American? This is what I tell my friends when they ask:

The Champions League is the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament. Each league (division) has a certain number of qualifying spots, with a few (bubble) teams having to play-in games to get spots. The only difference is that the qualifications are from the prior season, so the teams that are in this year's Champions League qualified based on last season's performance.

The Europa League is the NIT.

Maradonna Summer
Oct 22, 2005

Our love will last forever

TRP Post Of The Tournament Winner World Cup 2014
what is the american equivalent of a wet tuesday night in stoke

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

9/11 in tower one

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Haha wow I thought that Cliff Dempsey was a rivals.com pun that I wasn't aware of or something.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Maradonna Summer posted:

what is the american equivalent of a wet tuesday night in stoke

yer mam's fanny

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

The Finn posted:

Yes, but just stop for a minute to consider how absurd that actually is.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

TelekineticBear! posted:

I thought 2006 was really good in the knockout stages and 2002 had a lot of really good games but it was just on at the worst possible times

yeah being able to be drunk by 9am to watch football was real bad, whats wrong with you?

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

You, sir, are no Cliff Dempsey.

Cliff Dempsey is no Eric Cantolar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Messyass posted:

Cliff Dempsey is no Eric Cantolar.