Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

R-Type posted:

I've got 2 'verts right now, 650 and Z3. Just wanted a third decent roller with a little bit of zip for daily driving.

They're solid cars and they hold their value better than a regular e36 which baffles my mind because I don't like the verts.

I'd be concerned with the usual e36 issues and on top of that the condition of the top which is Rube Goldberg levels of bizarre complicated engineering. I would never want to diagnose issues with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I don't think I've ever seen an E36 vert with a hard top. Was that a factory option?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Awwwww. Revmoo already sniped the tool kit.

I'm missing the spark plug wrench and whatever the top left most small item (10mm socket IIRC).

You wouldn't happen to have those items and would like to part with those two things would you Mr. Moo? I'm in Ontario.

Maybe a drivers side seat belt pivot plastic cover? Near your shoulder.

If you do end up sending me stuff, I'll take whatever relays and fuses you can send. Please and thank you.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 29, 2014

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Xy Hapu: wheel caps were called by revmoo. I'll pull the borked OPC and send it to you, or just the buttons if I think I can get them off without shattering them. The trunk emblem was stolen last year, and the replacement I have was a gift from a friend (came with a story), plus I never actually installed it, so I'm going to keep that. Keep looking in junkyards, they're stupid expensive on ebay.

Ziploc: The seatbelt pivot cover is yours. And I'll set aside fuses and relays for you as I pull other things. Anything specific you're looking for?

Reminder to all: There's zero chance of me getting anything pulled & shipped before mid-July - if I'm extra-especially recharged by my vacation when I get back I'll be wrenching on July 7, but it's much more likely I won't be making any serious progress until the following weekend - July 12.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
What do those actually make with the supercharger?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

ExecuDork posted:

Xy Hapu: wheel caps were called by revmoo.

I'll be nice and relinquish them :)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I claim all other parts ever. :smugdog:

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

I haven't gotten around to repairing my m3, so I could use your passenger headlight assembly if that's not already claimed.

And the jack - I was an idiot and dropped the front first after some maintenance, so mine got rolled and bent :\

I could also use the front metal under-bumper (the 'carrier' it's apparently called) and mounting bits and shock absorbers, passenger fender, both fender liners, and that body piece that runs under the headlights and around the grilles and looks a little bit like an evil/thin moustache... but shipping might be crazy on those and it might be more work than you want to do to remove them.

US 98052 for shipping.

televiper fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 29, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Ugh I need to stop trolling cl. Cheap 528i popped up.... No keys but with a vin, trailer and 150 bucks I could flip it.

My bank account is screaming rape!

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Ugh I need to stop trolling cl. Cheap 528i popped up.... No keys but with a vin, trailer and 150 bucks I could flip it.

My bank account is screaming rape!

How much profit do you think you can make on it?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

voltron posted:

How much profit do you think you can make on it?

Depends on what the guy can be talked down too, but if I can snag it for 1750 it would be a steal. The miles are pretty low, and its very clean.

But I really beat my bank accounts up lately and I'm just not in the right position to do any thing. (I hate living on the edge financially). But with the key replaced and a good wash and wax I am guessing I could sell it for 3500 easy.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

hellzno posted:

Thoughts on this wagon? Asking $31k with CPO warranty. Car has 23k miles which is nice but might be a red flag (lemon car? maintenance? oil changes done right?). Space grey with oyster interior (aluminum not wood). Does not have comfort access which I'm not too hung up on.

http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/a542971.pdf

Thinking of making an offer around $27k given the popularity (or lack thereof) of wagons and the fact that they tend to sit on lots for a while.

Looking at the maintenance history there isn't anything that stands out as abnormal. PM me if you want and I can give you more info

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Cojawfee posted:

I claim all other parts ever. :smugdog:
Send the tow truck and get this thing out of my hands then.

televiper posted:

I haven't gotten around to repairing my m3, so I could use your passenger headlight assembly if that's not already claimed.

And the jack - I was an idiot and dropped the front first after some maintenance, so mine got rolled and bent :\

I could also use the front metal under-bumper (the 'carrier' it's apparently called) and mounting bits and shock absorbers, passenger fender, both fender liners, and that body piece that runs under the headlights and around the grilles and looks a little bit like an evil/thin moustache... but shipping might be crazy on those and it might be more work than you want to do to remove them.

US 98052 for shipping.
Headlight assembly is no problem. My jack got bent when my car tried to kill me a couple of years ago - I was lowering from the jackstands and it tilted slooooowwwwlly over as I was putting down the front-passenger corner, lifting off the back-left and digging the feet of the front-left and back-right pair of stands into the gravel of my parking spot. Obviously, I shouldn't have been doing that on gravel. Anyway, it's functional but bent.

Pretty much everything under my front bumper has been worn/broken/torn away at some point because of my habit of driving on poo poo roads. But I'll pull out anything not utterly destroyed. Do you want all of the shocks, or just the fronts? I'm not sure I can pull those, I'll have to find out how a junkyard will take the remainder away - if it's sitting on stands the JY's towtruck might be unhappy. Plus, I've never done any suspension work before (but this seems like a great opportunity to learn). I have a brand-new right-front fender liner that, once again, I didn't get around to installing. It's yours. That thin moustache body piece is yours, too, but I warn you the paint on it is pretty badly chewed up.

revmoo posted:

I'll be nice and relinquish them :)
The wheel caps go to Xy Hapu, then.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Contacted the owner of the E39 that has issues that's relatively cheap. Claims that the battery is drained on the car and the security system is "frying" the transponder chip in the key.

I wonder if its either programming or the security system is hosed. I am going to swing by the dealer tomorrow and see if they have a service manual I can thumb through.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
So I have a rattle at idle on my 2000 323ci. Goes away when I turn the A/C off, or when I press the clutch pedal down. I'm completely inexperienced at A/C, so I'm assuming my compressor is going/needs to be charged or something, but I don't understand why the noise goes away when I press the clutch in.

Thoughts/suggestions/further reading materials for me?

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Headlight = very yes
Bumper = very bumped
Suspension (oops)
Moustache = very dirty (giggity)
Fender well(s?)!

My bad, I meant the shock absorbers under the metal piece of the bumper, not the suspension parts. I'm pretty sure my passenger side bumper absorber piece got a bit damaged.

Also, just to make sure we're synced, I'm interested in the metal sub-bumper rather than the outer bumper cover (the big painted plastic piece that most people would think of as "the bumper").

No worries on the moustache paint being rough - I'm going to have to repaint the front anyway and may just dip the whole car instead.

Sweet and thanks!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

televiper posted:

My bad, I meant the shock absorbers under the metal piece of the bumper, not the suspension parts. I'm pretty sure my passenger side bumper absorber piece got a bit damaged.

Also, just to make sure we're synced, I'm interested in the metal sub-bumper rather than the outer bumper cover (the big painted plastic piece that most people would think of as "the bumper").

No worries on the moustache paint being rough - I'm going to have to repaint the front anyway and may just dip the whole car instead.

Sweet and thanks!

Ah, I see... I didn't even know the bumper was mounted on shock absorbers. I've never hit anything (with the front of the car... the underside hasn't been as lucky) so I expect those shocks will be in OK shape.

When you say "just dip the whole car" I can't stop myself from picturing a crane lowering a car into a giant vat of liquid plasti-dip.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Hey so I just bought a BMW:

I'm trying to figure out what I need to get the Bluetooth working though. It has the "S639A Preparation f mobile phone cpl. USA/CDN" package, button on the steering wheel, microphone, etc. It also came with an insert in the owners manual with a bluetooth passkey. However, it doesn't show up on my phone when I search for Bluetooth devices (my friend's however, with Bluetooth, does). What do I need to add? And what's that passkey for if I do?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Welcome.
The passkey should be on the insert. Mine was.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Interior pics plz. That leather looks sweet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

the poi posted:

I'm trying to figure out what I need to get the Bluetooth working though. It has the "S639A Preparation f mobile phone cpl. USA/CDN" package, button on the steering wheel, microphone, etc. It also came with an insert in the owners manual with a bluetooth passkey. However, it doesn't show up on my phone when I search for Bluetooth devices (my friend's however, with Bluetooth, does). What do I need to add? And what's that passkey for if I do?

The passkey is what you type on your phone to pair the two.

hellzno
Jan 15, 2008

Primo

the poi posted:

:fap:

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Ah, I see... I didn't even know the bumper was mounted on shock absorbers. I've never hit anything (with the front of the car... the underside hasn't been as lucky) so I expect those shocks will be in OK shape.

When you say "just dip the whole car" I can't stop myself from picturing a crane lowering a car into a giant vat of liquid plasti-dip.

Can I get your shift knob?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Anyone happen to drive a 228i? How is it compared to the 1-series?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

the poi posted:

On my bmw, I have to go to the screen in the idrive that shows you the phones paired to the car for it to be searchable.
You probably need to activate searchable mode somehow before you can pair.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Well I have the passkey insert, and there's a passkey on it, but I don't have a pairing button or anything to actually pair the phone. The car is a late 2004, has the "US Phone Preparation" supplemental manual, the passkey insert, a Phone pre-wire badge on the trunk, and there's a ULF box in the trunk. I haven't pulled the trunk liner yet, so I can't get any numbers off it. When I push the "R/T" button on the dash, the radio flashes "Phonebook empty". I've tried pairing by going to Ignition 2, holding down R/T, or the talking guy button, and I never see anything come up on my phone when its in discoverable mode. On my friend's 2005 (with Nav), his car pops up immediately when he starts it, no need to push any buttons...

re: interior: Ya it's totally fantastic and I'm in love with this car. Will get better pics when it's not full of crap anymore.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

the poi posted:

Well I have the passkey insert, and there's a passkey on it, but I don't have a pairing button or anything to actually pair the phone. The car is a late 2004, has the "US Phone Preparation" supplemental manual, the passkey insert, a Phone pre-wire badge on the trunk, and there's a ULF box in the trunk. I haven't pulled the trunk liner yet, so I can't get any numbers off it. When I push the "R/T" button on the dash, the radio flashes "Phonebook empty". I've tried pairing by going to Ignition 2, holding down R/T, or the talking guy button, and I never see anything come up on my phone when its in discoverable mode. On my friend's 2005 (with Nav), his car pops up immediately when he starts it, no need to push any buttons...

re: interior: Ya it's totally fantastic and I'm in love with this car. Will get better pics when it's not full of crap anymore.

Are you sure your phone is in bluetooth discovery mode when you're trying to pair it?

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
OK, figured it out, sorta. The car came with BMW Assist, which installs all the stuff, but not bluetooth. And inexplicably, these cars came with bluetooth passkeys, even though they don't actually have bluetooth :psyduck:

Looks like I just need to get a newer TCU and I'm golden.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
So I ordered a cable off eBay to do my own coding. It came with the cable and a box with two DVDs. The DVDs have a little homebrew installer that installs the USB driver, NCS, INPA, DIS / GT1, Progman, the BMW TIS, Navcode, SSS, and a VMware install w/ XP that serves as the platform for SSS & DIS.

It also requires you to register the device with the owner, simply by emailing your "hardware key" in. I'm not sure if you can use a different key on a different machine, but I'll find out tonight.

This has been a day in the life of Beater7.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Nait Sirhc posted:

So I ordered a cable off eBay to do my own coding. It came with the cable and a box with two DVDs. The DVDs have a little homebrew installer that installs the USB driver, NCS, INPA, DIS / GT1, Progman, the BMW TIS, Navcode, SSS, and a VMware install w/ XP that serves as the platform for SSS & DIS.

It also requires you to register the device with the owner, simply by emailing your "hardware key" in. I'm not sure if you can use a different key on a different machine, but I'll find out tonight.

I'm glad I have a modern BMW so I can just plug in my bluetooth OBDII dongle and open the BMWhat app.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

I'm glad I have a modern BMW so I can just plug in my bluetooth OBDII dongle and open the BMWhat app.

edit: yeah, but then you realize that it's not a 7-series and BMWhat's the point

Nait Sirhc fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 2, 2014

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Nait Sirhc posted:

Thats a pretty nice package. I bought the cable, but had to do my own install. It sort of works, but I certainly wouldn't use it to make any changes (plus it seems largly in german).

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Yesterday my top came down, locked in place, but didn't trigger the sensor. Wouldn't come up, or 'go down'.

Drove it the few miles home, let the car turn OFF-OFF (walk away for 15 minutes), then it when I woke it up and told the top to come back up it worked properly.

Looking like either it was a fluke or one of the 'the roof is stored' sensors is going kaput.

This repair might cost me as much as $100 if that's the case! Oh great tragedy, oh cruel fate, oh costs of BMW ownership.

Love this car.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Nait Sirhc posted:

edit: yeah, but then you realize that it's not a 7-series and BMWhat's the point

The app also has a list of the nearest soup kitchens.

Saxon
Jan 21, 2006
NEEDS MORE CRIT

ExecuDork posted:

It's certainly possible, but my door panels are in pretty rough shape. I "fixed" them by driving a self-tapping screw through the upper edge, just inside of the window, straight down into the frame rail of the door. That, and I replaced the two screws behind the handle that are supposed to hold the panel to the door - and one of screws on the driver's side backed out after only a week. I can take some pictures.

Hmm, well if you think they aren't worth saving then I won't make you go through the trouble...It's really great that you're doing this, thanks again!

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
After years of driving Japanese cars my mom has fallen for BMWs after leasing an E90 328i. The lease will be up this year and she's decided that she wants to buy one, and is leaning towards the 2015 435i Grand Coupe via European delivery. Here's what she's got spec'ed out:

Carbon Black Metallic
Leather Dakota Oyster /Black with dark Oyster accent
Ash Grain Fine Wood Trim with Metal Inlay

M Sport package
Cold Weather package
Driver Assistance Package
Premium Package
Technology Package
M Sport Brakes

I think she's be up for a manual transmission but I don't believe they're available on the Grand Coupe, are they? And is the M Sport package going to be too firm for a 60-something year old woman? I think she likes it because of the looks. She's not an especially spirited driver. She's pretty much dead set on the other packages. The brake upgrade is kind of surprising to me but again I think she likes the look. Any thoughts on the interior/trim colors?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Easychair Bootson posted:

After years of driving Japanese cars my mom has fallen for BMWs after leasing an E90 328i. The lease will be up this year and she's decided that she wants to buy one, and is leaning towards the 2015 435i Grand Coupe via European delivery. Here's what she's got spec'ed out:

Carbon Black Metallic
Leather Dakota Oyster /Black with dark Oyster accent
Ash Grain Fine Wood Trim with Metal Inlay

M Sport package
Cold Weather package
Driver Assistance Package
Premium Package
Technology Package
M Sport Brakes

I think she's be up for a manual transmission but I don't believe they're available on the Grand Coupe, are they? And is the M Sport package going to be too firm for a 60-something year old woman? I think she likes it because of the looks. She's not an especially spirited driver. She's pretty much dead set on the other packages. The brake upgrade is kind of surprising to me but again I think she likes the look. Any thoughts on the interior/trim colors?

No manual on the gran coupe. She should drive one with the sport package to make sure it isn't too rough, but shouldn't be all that bad. My number one suggestion upon receiving the car is to ditch the awful runflats and get better tires. That will improve both road noise and ride comfort immensely. Mine has the same interior color and it has held up pretty well. The light colored leathers don't show wear as much as the darker ones, but need to be cleaned regularly to prevent a nasty dirty look. She may want to add the adaptive lighting package as well as it makes seeing at night a good deal easier. If she drives a lot of long trips I'd totally look into the adaptive cruise control option as well. I wish that my e92 had had that option.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Stealth Like posted:

No manual on the gran coupe. She should drive one with the sport package to make sure it isn't too rough, but shouldn't be all that bad. My number one suggestion upon receiving the car is to ditch the awful runflats and get better tires. That will improve both road noise and ride comfort immensely. Mine has the same interior color and it has held up pretty well. The light colored leathers don't show wear as much as the darker ones, but need to be cleaned regularly to prevent a nasty dirty look. She may want to add the adaptive lighting package as well as it makes seeing at night a good deal easier. If she drives a lot of long trips I'd totally look into the adaptive cruise control option as well. I wish that my e92 had had that option.
Good info, thanks. She doesn't do a lot of long highway trips, but the adaptive lighting sounds like it's worth looking into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Easychair Bootson posted:

Good info, thanks. She doesn't do a lot of long highway trips, but the adaptive lighting sounds like it's worth looking into.

I have the LED lights in my 5er and they are awesome. If sport package is too rough I think you can add dynamic dampers on the 4GC. That would give her adjustable settings and softness when needed.