Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Sludge Tank posted:

I'm scared to even do that lightly for fear of scratching the glass? Or am I being too paranoid.

I just use my little air-douche-blower thingy that came with my camera cleaning kit.

Maybe we can get soundmonkey to post a video of him whipping his scanner with a branch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Just wipe it down with a cat.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Thanks for prompting me to scan the pictures from my trans-Canada trip in 2002.

Unedited, except for crop/rotate from the JPGs from my el-cheapo scanner.
Transcanada 10 by Execudork, on Flickr
Transcanada 15 by Execudork, on Flickr
Transcanada 17 by Execudork, on Flickr
Transcanada 20 by Execudork, on Flickr

I know most of this thread is devoted to maximizing the quality of photos - film choice, composition, exposure, developing, scanning, post-processing, but here's the other end: minimal-effort scans on cheap equipment. I don't have anything else to offer the conversation at the moment, except the Power of the Dark Side.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

try it with a lime posted:

Just wipe it down with a cat.

With a floof or non-floof cat?

And do you hold it by the feet hog tied style or pretend your rubbing it's belly?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Not sure how, but I was the sole bidder on a lot of 55 rolls of Kodak Gold 200 24exp film. Expired 2006. Snagged it for 99c + $10 shipping. :stare:

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Noice!

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

BANME.sh posted:

Not sure how, but I was the sole bidder on a lot of 55 rolls of Kodak Gold 200 24exp film. Expired 2006. Snagged it for 99c + $10 shipping. :stare:

having just started shooting 35mm again, i'm quite jealous

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

BANME.sh posted:

Holy crap! Free film = best film (that price is indistinguishable from free).

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

BANME.sh posted:

:stare: I want to have your babies.

Seriously, Gold 200 is an absolutely gorgeous line of film.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
This is more of a general equipment rant, but I guess the subtitle of this thread fits well.

Backstory:
I have been, at some expense, going to a special location to shoot that I had discovered about 1 1/2 year prior. I did my usual preparations which was to pack lots of gear and make sure that I had a replacement everything. (Light-meter, Camera, Film etc.) I managed to convince security not to scan my Film. I had my main camera serviced just five months Prior in January. I had brought 8 pro-packs of film. I was ready, or so I thought.

I checked the camera (a Rolleiflex) in the hotel and it worked fine at all speeds. So, and here's my huge mistake, I only took *that* camera to the actual shoot and left the other in the hotel. Two things happened: A huge thunderstorm with flash flooding, trapping me on-location; oh -- and my camera broke after two rolls.

The camera would still fire, but the shutter sometimes stayed open and only closed during wind on. What I didn't realize was that during winding on it still exposed the film as it rolled through the chamber. D'oh! I lost a lot of key photos to this, and hence have to go back at the expense of nerves, time and money.

Oh I also lost the release cable, and with the eerie location, thunderstorm, flooding and broken camera my attention span was probably that of a headless chicken. Coz you know, putting on the lens-cap before wind on would have saved me. But due to lack of contingency planning I was too freaked out and just pushed on, go figure.

Moral of the loving story:
If you're going somewhere to shoot, and just to shoot - you better loving have a comparable quality and format backup with you.
Otherwise you might just as well set film and money on fire in your backyard.

Whew...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VomitOnLino posted:

This is more of a general equipment rant, but I guess the subtitle of this thread fits well.

:smith:

I feel ya bro.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

VomitOnLino posted:

Moral of the loving story:
If you're going somewhere to shoot, and just to shoot - you better loving have a comparable quality and format backup with you.
Otherwise you might just as well set film and money on fire in your backyard.

This can't be stressed enough. It's also true of digital, but more so with cameras and accessories that are definitely aging.

I have been experimenting with HC-110 and Ilford HP5+, I don't know if I'm liking the results.
Shadows are intense, I like them very much, highlights are ok I reckon, but midtones? I don't know.

Modena di maxmars70, su Flickr

Any tips on exposing HP5+?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I got a refund for the auction of those 55 rolls Kodak Gold 200 that I won last week. They told me there was an error in the listing and they don't ship outside of the USA. I checked their other listings, and sure enough, none of them list shipping outside of the states. I still kinda feel like they are disappointed with the 99c sale and want to relist it again later.

I wrote them and asked if they could make an exception if I pay more, or at the very least, if I could have them ship it to a friend I know who lives down there. They had really terrible broken english, I hope I can still get the film.

:(

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

BANME.sh posted:

I got a refund for the auction of those 55 rolls Kodak Gold 200 that I won last week. They told me there was an error in the listing and they don't ship outside of the USA. I checked their other listings, and sure enough, none of them list shipping outside of the states. I still kinda feel like they are disappointed with the 99c sale and want to relist it again later.

I wrote them and asked if they could make an exception if I pay more, or at the very least, if I could have them ship it to a friend I know who lives down there. They had really terrible broken english, I hope I can still get the film.

:(

I'm pretty sure that what they are saying is against ebay's seller policies. I'd have a conversation with ebay and see if they will force the seller to honor the transaction.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

ZippySLC posted:

I'm pretty sure that what they are saying is against ebay's seller policies. I'd have a conversation with ebay and see if they will force the seller to honor the transaction.

I thought about doing that, but this seller has a 10,000 feedback rating already, and I think they would just risk taking a negative hit on feedback considering it would be a drop in the bucket for them. And I would rather try negotiating with them first, to keep things on good terms.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 3, 2014

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Yeah take it to ebay asap, it should be against their terms to cancel after your winning bid. It's nlikely that someone with that much feedback would risk any negative consequences over one transaction.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Well, I just checked and it says I can't file a dispute until 10 days have passed and I should contact the seller. I've already contacted the seller and asked if they would reconsider with a modified shipping rate, but no response yet.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I did manage to get some Gold 200 from a different auction and yeah, this stuff is nice:

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

BANME.sh posted:

I thought about doing that, but this seller has a 10,000 feedback rating already, and I think they would just risk taking a negative hit on feedback considering it would be a drop in the bucket for them. And I would rather try negotiating with them first, to keep things on good terms.

Actually it looks like ebay won't do a thing.

Your only recourse is going to be to leave them negative feedback.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'll wait and see if they respond first I guess.

I found another seller with 87 rolls of kodak gold 200 12 exp for $47 shipped. Not bad but the 12 exposures per roll is gonna be annoying to shoot and get developed. Time to do my own C-41 I think.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

BANME.sh posted:

I found another seller with 87 rolls of kodak gold 200 12 exp for $47 shipped. Not bad but the 12 exposures per roll is gonna be annoying to shoot and get developed. Time to do my own C-41 I think.

Congrats and.. Do it! it's cheap and easy.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Or use them as cheap snapshot rolls by developing yourself in b&w chems.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I often wish I had some short rolls like that when I'm testing out an old camera that I've cleaned up or repaired.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You're finding this stuff on eBay? I should do that. I paid $55 for five rolls of Porta 35mm (three 160, two 400) yesterday from a brick and mortar here in NYC. I know how ridiculous that is, but I'm going away this weekend and had forgotten to buy online :(

Which microfiber cloths do you use? I have a little brush, but it's not electrostatic and doesn't seem to do much.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Awkward Davies posted:

You're finding this stuff on eBay? I should do that. I paid $55 for five rolls of Porta 35mm (three 160, two 400) yesterday from a brick and mortar here in NYC. I know how ridiculous that is, but I'm going away this weekend and had forgotten to buy online :(

Yeah. It's all expired though. Also, Kodak had different packaging for consumer film that was to be sold in grocery stores, etc. This Kodak Gold 200 is all in packaging labeled "Kodak Bright Sun & Flash", which might attract less searches.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Film storage question, After I seal up exposed 120 rolls will the postage stamp glue hold in a freezer? I have some color stuff I want to develop later but i'm not sure how soon I will get to it so I want to freeze it in case its a year or so before I try color development.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Film storage question, After I seal up exposed 120 rolls will the postage stamp glue hold in a freezer? I have some color stuff I want to develop later but i'm not sure how soon I will get to it so I want to freeze it in case its a year or so before I try color development.

Just wrap it with a rubber band.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Just wanted to state the obvious:

I'm getting some images ready to print and spotting scans is loving shithouse, even when you do your best to get the dust off to start with.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Presumably you've already sealed up these packages and you're hoping things won't fall apart when you thaw things out in 6 months or whenever. There's no difference in postage glue (or any postage supplies) from winter to summer and I know things not marked "URGENT" or "KEEP WARM" will spend at least some time just sitting in a crate on some runway or in some unheated warehouse or parked truck for long enough to reach thermal equilibrium with their surroundings. Around here, those surroundings include colder than household freezers every year and I've never heard of stamps coming off or envelope glue coming unstuck because of a Canadian winter.

Your stuff will be fine.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

I just scanned some more Kodak Ultramax 400, this time I rated it at 200 and it turned out much better. All taken with the Yashica Electro.

Cactus, Doubleview, June 2014 by s d photo, on Flickr

Motel Room, Bridgetown, June 2014 by s d photo, on Flickr

Bridgetown 3, June 2014 by s d photo, on Flickr

Bridgetown Outskirts, June 2014 by s d photo, on Flickr

Bridgetown Roadside, June 2014 by s d photo, on Flickr

The colours are slightly muted, which I like, and overall it's really good for a cheap 35mm film.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Finally got around to scanning some really, really old 35mm Portra 400.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
what the gently caress happened to KEH???? my world has been turned upside down

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Genderfluid posted:

what the gently caress happened to KEH???? my world has been turned upside down

Whoah. I was *just* on there yesterday and everything was perfectly disorganized and not streamlined. The way I'm used to.

I hope this isn't the beginning of the end.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
It's like they leapt forward in time to 2002!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I think some KEH employee is secretly a Goon, and noticed all of us talking about their web design.

When I next have money to burn, I'm hopeful this upgrade won't interfere with my plans to have a drunken on-line evening I intend to call "The Merlot of Minolta" :hchatter: :homebrew:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
My film arrived today :woop:

He also threw in 4 rolls of Gold Super 200, what's the difference between that and regular Gold 200?

Also threw in a roll of Vericolor III 160 which I think is the predecessor to Portra 160NC? At least that's what Kodak recommends as a replacement.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 8, 2014

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BANME.sh posted:

He also threw in 4 rolls of Gold Super 200, what's the difference between that and regular Gold 200?

It's super. :sissies:

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
x-post from low effort. I really gotta calibrate my monitor :/

I can't decide which photo is the keeper.

eleanor by spikemccue, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm leaning towards the first one. It has a different feel (to me) compared to the other two, and the later two both have distracting people in the background.

But, if your intention (or hers) is to show her at an event with lots of other people (like it's the event that's important, or her participation in it, or those are some of her friends) then I'd say number 3.

Awkward Davies posted:

x-post from low effort. I really gotta calibrate my monitor :/
Yup. Much more magenta and cyan than I'm used to seeing in "pictures of people at a park during the day"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

My new love has arrived. All mechanical, all black with a beautifully big viewfinder.

Thanks KEH. The body was rated BGN but it is really clean except for the brassing you can see on the corners and scratches on the bottom around the battery cover. The 135mm f2.8 was rated EX but looks and feels like it has literally never been used.