Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

That's not really fair though given that Tilda Swinton is arguably better than anything on TV. Like both herself and Stormare try to salvage the film from being a complete generic mess.

Without the Constantine/Hellblazer branding it'd be a completely forgettable film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh I really liked the Constantine film, but this was before I had any notion or conception of the Hellblazer comic. Even today I kind of enjoy it as a sort of alternate reality Constantine. Certainly it was a better adaptation than some other comic book characters have gone through.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The thing that the Constantine film got most wrong for me was that at no point did I really believe that Keanu Constantine was an rear end in a top hat which I'd argue is far more important to the character than smoking. The TV show seems to walking a fine line but I think it's at least started to put out that he's a selfish prick.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Welp Rogen's started writing Preacher.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

The thing that the Constantine film got most wrong for me was that at no point did I really believe that Keanu Constantine was an rear end in a top hat which I'd argue is far more important to the character than smoking. The TV show seems to walking a fine line but I think it's at least started to put out that he's a selfish prick.

I hate to say it but I actually believe the opposite. I totally bought that Keanu's Constantine was a jaded and selfish prick, but in the show I thought Constantine was close to giving Companion whatsherface a glass of warm milk and a hug. Then again it might have just been a pacing issue, which the Pilot had a lot of, but it didn't really sink in that he was just manipulating her into being his demon-finding lackey the entire time. Still, the pilot did have Constantine blackmailing a traumatized friend. Not with great blackmail, mind you, but it's a classic Constantine trope and Constantine willing to let innocents die to serve his bigger aims.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 2, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Pacing issues definitely effect the pilot a lot. I really didn't like how it had Constantine falling for something as dumb as "demon pretends to be a kid to free themselves" but the final scene twist of it being just a long con by Constantine to trick Liv into thinking she saved the day felt appropriately in character. Keanu just felt a bit too clean cut for me.

Again though it felt like a very messy pilot. A lot more like a proof of concept than an actual pilot.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
The first commercial for Batman '66 has been released, and it will contain all 120 episodes. Hopefully the set won't be too cost prohibitive.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/306887-comic-con-first-promo-for-batman-the-complete-television-series

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

sleepingbuddha posted:

The first commercial for Batman '66 has been released, and it will contain all 120 episodes. Hopefully the set won't be too cost prohibitive.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/306887-comic-con-first-promo-for-batman-the-complete-television-series

I really hope that's not indicative of actual quality of the scans. I'm not even a nerd about this stuff, but those blacks looked really crushed and the whole thing looked a bit muddy.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Normally i'd be stickler for picture quality but I'll happily buy it just because it exists.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I am now doing a celebratory Batusi. This is awesome! Did they have to cut any of the music and/or celebrity cameos to get those in a commercial package?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

More Arrow casting, Devon Aoki is going to be Katana.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

dreffen posted:

I didn't have a whole lot of trouble forgetting that that it was trying to adapt a comic book! I did forget that Shia Lebouf was in it though.

I probably do. It does have some good things going for it though! Reeves (I enjoy him at least, I dunno), Tilda Swinton, Peter Stormare, and some of the scenes looked good.

And it has smoking which is more than you could say about the television show. :v:

e: Oh drat yeah, and Papa Midnite was awesome.

Tilda Swinton and Peter Stormare were inspired casting.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

muscles like this? posted:

More Arrow casting, Devon Aoki is going to be Katana.

Does anyone actually like this character?
Honest question, I have no drat idea why DC decides to trot them out once a decade or so.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I liked her appearance in one episode of The Brave and The Bold. Then they decided to make her more of an honorable asian stereotype the next time she showed up and I went back to not caring about her.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

404GoonNotFound posted:

Honest question, I have no drat idea why DC decides to trot them out once a decade or so.

She's one of the original Outsiders from the late 70s/early 80s right? That probably makes her one of the rare minority superheroes at DC whose rights are probably owned lock, stock, and barrel by DC. That probably has a lot to do with it. Plus she's super straight-forward as a racial cliche and her powers are super cheap to portray.

Still, she is one of those characters that has just never connected over the years--even with the hardcore comic audience.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Man, if they need a Japanese hero, they should just bring in Most Excellent Superbat. Perfect counterpart of Green Arrow.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They also probably chose her because she's a cheap character to do on a TV show.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Waterhaul posted:

Keanu just felt a bit too clean cut for me.

It's the clean-shaven-ness and the mostly immaculate suit. Keanu had a face like a knife back then as well. He just looks really young and spotless. Aside from that, it's a really, really good film, though.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
And she has one of those Japanese swords, right? Teens like those.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

She's also a good choice because in the new 52 Universe, Green Arrow is part of a super secret clan of weapon based martial artists. (The Arrow clan, surprisingly enough.) Katana is also a member of this, the Sword Clan.

So at least now in the new 52, they have a connection as being the DC version of Ironfist and the Eight Immortal Weapons. So it's makes some sense why they'd bring her in.

Anyway, a few weeks ago they had Mark Gugenheim do an interview where he said there was one DC character they wanted to use but were told they couldn't but were given a different DC character instead. I said this in the TVIV thread and the concessions is every time a DC character shows up everyone will speculate as to who it was supposed to be.
On that note, I predict that Katana was originally supposed to be Richard Dragon.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, I bet DC really stomped down hard when they requested Richard Dragon.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Obviously they requested Robin and got Katana instead. Wait. That's awful. Why would any show do that?!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

404GoonNotFound posted:

I am a sucker for the Outsiders, so yes. But int his case, I guess we see so many Martial Arts heroes and villains because they are just a whole lot cheaper to put on screen.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

It's the clean-shaven-ness and the mostly immaculate suit. Keanu had a face like a knife back then as well. He just looks really young and spotless. Aside from that, it's a really, really good film, though.

Look at the goddamn Constantine pilot and you can say the exact same thing. Plus you forget that when Constantine initially showed up in Swamp Thing he was clean-shaven and wearing immaculate suits. It wasn't until Hellblazer was well underway that the whole "gutterpunk" look for Constantine became the norm.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Look at the goddamn Constantine pilot and you can say the exact same thing. Plus you forget that when Constantine initially showed up in Swamp Thing he was clean-shaven and wearing immaculate suits. It wasn't until Hellblazer was well underway that the whole "gutterpunk" look for Constantine became the norm.

Guess which comic incarnation of the character is considered the most popular, most consistent and well known, friend. Hence why Waterhaul would feel that the movie's presentation of Constantine would feel at odds with the character, buddy!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dan Didio posted:

Guess which comic incarnation of the character is considered the most popular, most consistent and well known, friend. Hence why Waterhaul would feel that the movie's presentation of Constantine would feel at odds with the character, buddy!

Neither, cause no one even knows the movie was based on a comic.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Don't patronize me here, especially because again you can point the whole "HE LOOKS TOO CLEAN :goonsay:" argument right back at the pilot that just leaked.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Don't patronize me here, especially because again you can point the whole "HE LOOKS TOO CLEAN :goonsay:" argument right back at the pilot that just leaked.

What are you talking about, bro? I haven't even seen the pilot, chum. I was only responding to Waterhaul's one, very specific comment about Keanu Reeves' portrayal, mate.

greatn posted:

Neither, cause no one even knows the movie was based on a comic.

Again, talking to a guy who moderates a comic book forum about why a movie's portrayal of a character he's seen in the comics doesn't sit right with him, on the comic book forum. Context. Uh, comrade.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

What are you talking about, bro? I haven't even seen the pilot, chum. I was only responding to Waterhaul's one, very specific comment about Keanu Reeves' portrayal, mate.

And I'm saying that the whole "Constantine needs to be dirty" argument is a stupid one based more in fan arcana about what is most iconic rather than what's most integral to the character based on the fact that we have a much more book-accurate Constantine in the pilot with clean suits and many of his most classic stories feature him in clean suits.

Keanu didn't fit Constantine's character at all, but that's more because Keanu can't pull off the lazy British charm Constantine is so well-known for, not because he didn't have enough alley grease smeared on his shirt.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Okay, well, thanks for chiming in, I guess.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You're very welcome sport.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So I finally caught up on AoS. Is it wrong I was hoping season two would be a buddy cop comedy of Fury and Coulson fighting crime while snakring the entire time.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Just to clarify a little about Katana (since I haven't seen it mentioned), she will show on the flashbacks as Ollie's mentor/liason on Hong Kong and probably will be the same deal as Slade and won't be Katana until late in the season or maybe the next one.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 3, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I like the Outsiders but Katana was the dullest. She is cheap to create on a TV budget though.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 3, 2014

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Has Katana ever had a sidekick named Wakizashi? If not, what are comic writers even doing?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have a fondness for Katana thanks to the Outsiders run, which was all kinds of 80's awesomeness.
As people have said above, she is a good fit for the show thanks to her interaction with GA in the comics, so nothing too controversial there.
As for the DC not allowing some characters and allowing others, wasn't Green Lantern on Smallville supposed to be a Bruce Wayne/Batman stand in?

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Madkal posted:

I have a fondness for Katana thanks to the Outsiders run, which was all kinds of 80's awesomeness.
As people have said above, she is a good fit for the show thanks to her interaction with GA in the comics, so nothing too controversial there.
As for the DC not allowing some characters and allowing others, wasn't Green Lantern on Smallville supposed to be a Bruce Wayne/Batman stand in?

Well, Green Arrow was. Sort of.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

toomanyninjas posted:

Well, Green Arrow was. Sort of.

oops. I mean Green Arrow.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Also the Adam Knight character who was a mysterious and broody rich kid from out of town who ended up having some random rear end story line when I guess it was clear whatever they had planned was vetoed. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the GA stuff later one was salvaged from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Dan Didio posted:

Mimir posted:

Has Katana ever had a sidekick named Wakizashi? If not, what are comic writers even doing?
Americans know what katanas are but have no idea what the gently caress any other Japanese weapons are.

Well except for what the other Ninja Turtles use, but those are actually Okinawan weapons.