Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Gonna need some draw power too. Perhaps that new Life's Legacy? Sac a creature, draw equal to its power for 1G at sorcery speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Deckit posted:

Gonna need some draw power too. Perhaps that new Life's Legacy? Sac a creature, draw equal to its power for 1G at sorcery speed.

Yea there are going to be issues with getting draws for sure...I am probably going to need counters. It will probably be more important to protect what I am playing rather than clearing what the enemy is playing. I only have 6 cards to tinker with but I am better I will put a 3 of Dissolve, and then 3 of something to help me get cards...

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

OssiansFolly posted:

Yea there are going to be issues with getting draws for sure...I am probably going to need counters. It will probably be more important to protect what I am playing rather than clearing what the enemy is playing. I only have 6 cards to tinker with but I am better I will put a 3 of Dissolve, and then 3 of something to help me get cards...

double blue sounds awful. If you are really worried about your creatures you need ranger's guile or god's willing or something like that.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

If its specifically Hexproof you're looking for for protection/bounce effects, Simic Charm gives all your permanents hexproof for UG. Double blue for dissolve sounds harder than it needs to be since you're only splashing blue for Hivelord and Gale. Greens such a huge part of the deck, Simic Charm might as well be 1U.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Deckit posted:

If its specifically Hexproof you're looking for for protection/bounce effects, Simic Charm gives all your permanents hexproof for UG. Double blue for dissolve sounds harder than it needs to be since you're only splashing blue for Hivelord and Gale. Greens such a huge part of the deck, Simic Charm might as well be 1U.

That is true...

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Hunted Tokens Update:

As expected, the deck is pretty inconsistent. You also seem to get pretty well whomped on against an aggressive deck.

The keys to the deck are that you need to play a Hunted creature to win, and you need a Ratchet Bomb or Echoing Truth in hand before you can play the Hunted creature because if you can't remove the tokens they get immediately, they get a chance to hit you back hard enough that it makes it difficult to race if they've played even 1 attacking creature before that point.

You can probably get away with like turn 1 Illness, turn 2 Hunted Horror, turn 3 Ratchet Bomb/Truth, but even then you have to take 4 to play the 7/7 and without the Illness down you're taking 6.

The Blood Artist and Blood Seeker are neat interactions, but since they are 0/1 and 1/1 creatures and you are trying to get your specific engine going they literally do nothing for you unless you're already comboing off. If you combo off, then you have the 4/6 or 7/7 to beat down with and those are probably good enough to win for you alone.

I'm feeling like I probably want to go down on Bloods and drop the Turn to Mist and put in Engineered Explosives and Torpor Orb. Of course who knows when I can test those out because both of those dumb cards cost more on MTGO than in paper.

Then again, if you go to a situation where you are relying on just 8 creature cards to win, then you need more ways to protect them and get them back if they die and all the sudden you're building a regular UB control deck with a weird win condition and where's the fun in that?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So yeah other than the forbidden orchards you can build that deck for ~15 tix on modo. I just got done playing it for a bit, and when it works it's pretty funny but definitely inconsistent. I played one game where I dropped t1 illness in the ranks, t2 and t3 were blood artists, t4 was waiting with mana leak, and t5 was hunted phantasm followed by turn into mist, which was neat. The deck suffers from having zero card draw and goes into topdeck mode quickly if you get disrupted at all, which isn't good for something so inconsistent otherwise. Still, a fun distraction for so few tix.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Hey folks,

After messing around quite a bit with a red aggro deck, I decided I wanted to develop a bit further into mono red antics, and decided to go mono red devotion. Here is what I came up with:

Deck: Devotion to Red

//Lands
16 Mountain
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

//Spells
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
4 Thunderous Might
4 Titan's Strength

//Creatures
4 Ash Zealot
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Frostburn Weird
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Stormbreath Dragon

//Sideboard
4 Anger of the Gods
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
3 Burning Earth

Display deck statistics

Its a pretty straight forward affair, as red decks should be. I also plan on continuing this deck post rotation by bringing in prophetic flamespeakers and perhaps dragon mantles to increase card draw. Are there any suggestions y'all would have for this particular deck for the super standard season? Any ideas on how to move it forward post rotation from what we've seen? Finally, are there any particular side board cards of note OI should be looking at. TIA.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Deofuta posted:

Hey folks,

After messing around quite a bit with a red aggro deck, I decided I wanted to develop a bit further into mono red antics, and decided to go mono red devotion. Here is what I came up with:

//Lands
16 Mountain
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

//Spells
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
4 Thunderous Might
4 Titan's Strength

//Creatures
4 Ash Zealot
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Frostburn Weird
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Stormbreath Dragon

//Sideboard
4 Anger of the Gods
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
3 Burning Earth

Display deck statistics

Its a pretty straight forward affair, as red decks should be. I also plan on continuing this deck post rotation by bringing in prophetic flamespeakers and perhaps dragon mantles to increase card draw. Are there any suggestions y'all would have for this particular deck for the super standard season? Any ideas on how to move it forward post rotation from what we've seen? Finally, are there any particular side board cards of note OI should be looking at. TIA.

I tried burning earths main deck. You're better off with skullcrack and sideboarding in burning earth game 2.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Deofuta posted:

Hey folks,

I was never impressed with Burning Earths. I really wanted them to work too, because there were so many tri-color decks running around my LGS for a while. I'd second the notion on Skull Cracks. I'd drop 1 Stormbreath for another mountain. I know you're devotion but it feels like you're a removal spell away from not getting Nykthos off.

Burning-Tree Emissary doesn't play well with your double red creatures, but its fantastic for activating Nykthos. Hell, Wild Guess might even be great in place of Firedrinker Satyr to ensure you get land drops.

So I was brewing for super standard and I think I'm going to go with a Simic Tool Box deck. Chord of Calllllllling! :black101:

I'm on the fence about the planeswalkers. Its a tool box but I can't fetch them. On the other hand, I love them. :ohdear:

-Quicklings for saving my important creatures from wrath or removal.
-Reclamation Sage for Azorious control and enemy Coursers.
-Scavenging Ooze for the two dredge decks at my LGS.
-Phyrexian Revoker for Planeswalkers. (In response to your planeswalker cast, Chord of Calling for 2, fetch Revoker. Name your dude. :smug:)
-Otherwise, stompy creatures!

Suggestions? I'd love them.

Deck: Simic Tool Box

//Lands
4 Breeding Pool
9 Forest
3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Temple of Mystery
4 Yavimaya Coast

//Spells
3 Chord of Calling
1 Life's Legacy
1 Jace, the Living Guildpact
1 Kiora, the Crashing Wave
1 Nissa, Worldwaker

//Creatures
3 Boon Satyr
4 Courser of Kruphix
2 Genesis Hydra
1 Nylea's Disciple
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt
1 Phyrexian Revoker
4 Polukranos, World Eater
3 Quickling
2 Reclamation Sage
1 Scavenging Ooze
4 Sylvan Caryatid
3 Voyaging Satyr

//Sideboard
3 Terra Stomper
2 Nylea's Disciple
2 Reclamation Sage
2 Soul of New Phyrexia
3 Unravel the Ęther
2 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Scavenging Ooze

Display deck statistics

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
So, there's an infinite combo now with Nissa/Xenagos, Ral Zarek and Chain Veil.

I think that a PW infinite control could work. Having a control shell with this as an afterthought. Sure, it could be win more, but maybe something fun.

So,

Ral Zarek
Nissa
Chain Veil

4x Courser of Kruphix
4x Slyvan Carytid

Not being in White or Black kind of sucks, but what else could make a good shell?

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
I've been running the following standard list lately. The idea is a mind jail using their own horrors against them.

It's a U/W/B control game based on Ashiok and Jace. I use general board control strategies of detention spheres, cyclonic rifts, supreme verdicts etc to keep the board clean. My mutavault and whatever creatures I get from Ashiok and specters will win me the game. Sometimes I deck them too, but I can generally finish them off with a specter or mutavault or whatever bomb they have. Ashiok is awesome for hitting a few of their bombs, and it ruins their mood; when you take their xenagos or elspeth, you've already gained some advantage.

I'm not 100% sure about my sideboard and if I should put the deicides in my sideboard or not. I want to try it out this saturday for standard. I can generally weather a quick rush deck fairly well, but I am not happy with my lack of solid 1 drops; I don't have too many. I can't afford thoughtseize before saturday, but I'm looking for it (they'll replace duress). Maybe negate ? I'm honestly not too strong at sideboarding, I'm more of an all-comer; I think when I face a similar U/W control deck I should splice in the gainsays for the kruphix to deny them the cards, put in an aetherling for a specter because that exile ability will keep him alive. Are there any solid sideboarding suggestions ?

1 Hallowed Fountain
6 Island
1 Mutavault
3 Plains
2 Swamp
4 Temple of Deceit
3 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Temple of Silence
2 Duress
2 Syncopate
3 Azorius Charm
2 Cyclonic Rift
2 Deicide
2 Ultimate Price
2 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
4 Detention Sphere
2 Dictate of Kruphix
4 Dissolve
3 Nightveil Specter
1 Sphinx's Revelation
3 Jace, Architect of Thought
4 Supreme Verdict

Sideboard:

2 Cyclonic Rift
2 Doom Blade
4 Gainsay
2 Banishing Light
1 Dictate of Kruphix
2 Hero's Downfall
1 Nightveil Specter
1 Aetherling

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
11 white sources probably isn't enough to cast Verdict reliably when you need it. You kind of need at least two different sets of dual lands to play three colours - either more shocks, or if you don't want to spend that much on cards that are rotating soon, some guildgates would help more than playing basics.

I'm skeptical of Dictate - control decks generally win the game by using their early spells to avoid falling behind in tempo, and then leveraging their more expensive spells to provide card advantage later on. Having both players draw additional cards means you have to deal with a lot more of your opponent's threats, while not hugely helping you since you're more constrained by mana.

Aetherling deserves maindeck play. Any deck is going to be packing cards like Hero's Downfall or Banishing Light or other creature removal, and having a finisher that's resilient to that (as well as survives your own Supreme Verdicts) is very strong.

You kind of have to ask yourself if the black is really worth stretching your manabase for. Specter doesn't need it, you have stuff like Last Breath to replace cheap black removal against weenie decks, and you kind of have to wonder if Ashiok's role in the deck isn't better served by something like Elspeth.

Just a few thoughts.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Jabor posted:

11 white sources probably isn't enough to cast Verdict reliably when you need it. You kind of need at least two different sets of dual lands to play three colours - either more shocks, or if you don't want to spend that much on cards that are rotating soon, some guildgates would help more than playing basics.

I'm skeptical of Dictate - control decks generally win the game by using their early spells to avoid falling behind in tempo, and then leveraging their more expensive spells to provide card advantage later on. Having both players draw additional cards means you have to deal with a lot more of your opponent's threats, while not hugely helping you since you're more constrained by mana.

Aetherling deserves maindeck play. Any deck is going to be packing cards like Hero's Downfall or Banishing Light or other creature removal, and having a finisher that's resilient to that (as well as survives your own Supreme Verdicts) is very strong.

You kind of have to ask yourself if the black is really worth stretching your manabase for. Specter doesn't need it, you have stuff like Last Breath to replace cheap black removal against weenie decks, and you kind of have to wonder if Ashiok's role in the deck isn't better served by something like Elspeth.

Just a few thoughts.

Thanks for your comments; I like your thoughts.

I included Aetherling in my sideboard because yeah he's awesome, but I'd like to play without him // be different special little snowflake. I'll try to win game 1 with mine, and I can switch over later. But I might main deck him too your comment does strike home again how freaking good this dude is.

Elspeth is really strong, but I also think she's boring. I just plain like Ashiok's shtick better of stealing their creatures, I feel in general, they kind of do the same thing (produce creatures) though yes, Elspeth is better at it. But I really like that Ashiok mills them and then keeps it; I haven't played high tier guys with this, but the look on my opponents face as I take their mistcutter or something stupid is great; you can see the plan in their mind being ruined. I feel it serves as great disruption of their game plan - and it is taking a bomb away from them, and giving it to me. The deck actually was started trying to find a solid use of Ashiok, so I'd rather not take him out.

(I'll put Elspeth in my sideboard though, you're right, she is a beast/win con on her own)

Your thoughts on Kruphix are the same as mine. When I play it, I'm usually in solid control and it lets me win more, or it's not that beneficial to my side as opposed to theirs. What would you propose as an alternative card draw engine? I can't really afford more sphinx's revelations before Saturday, so that's kind of out.

I got 3 sets of duals; wb/wu/bu temples. I need more shocklands but again, $, working on that :) I haven't really had any mana screws so far, so I'm honestly not too worried about that right now. Even with the black, I've never been screwed for land and Duress will be switched for Thoughtseize when I have the $.

YoshiStomper
May 13, 2011

The reject.
Trying a new 2015 Super Standard deck, with a green devotion theme. I made proxies for it and it seems to do well enough, but I'm still not the best at deck building when there are just so many cards in the pool to choose from. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm not 100% sure why I have Garruk and Nissa in there, I just really like them. Also I guess Doom Blade should be sideboarded in the off chance I play Mono-Black (or any black). I really feel like I just threw a buncha cards at a wall and assembled this.

Deck: G/B Devotion

//Land
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Temple of Malady
3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
10 Forest

//Creatures
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Courser of Kruphix
3 Polukranos, World Eater
3 Hornet Queen
2 Sylvan Primordial
2 Giant Adephage
2 Reverent Hunter

//Other Spells
2 Doom Blade
2 Devour Flesh
2 Setessan Tactics
2 Chord of Calling
1 Garruk, Apex Predator
1 Nissa, Worldwaker
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt

Display deck statistics

YoshiStomper fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 3, 2014

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Went 3-0-1 with g/b constellation last week for 1st place which was pretty cool. Super weird wins though. I tied against aggro (as the midrange deck) and beat control all day (a match I am not favoured in)

Round 1 vs orzhov aggro: 1-1 tie.

G1: I make a misplay and play a tap land instead of T2 abrupt decaying his imposing sovereign, that puts me a turn behind, my gently caress up costs me the game.

G2: I put in work with creatures, and golgari charm is a one sided board wipe.

However I'm playing the slowest aggro player in the world and he take minutes to figure out his plays. So we go to g3 at the start of 5 turns.

R2 against Grixis control. Win 2-0

G1: I land a t3 Pharika, and everything else is countered and/or immediately killed. Opponent lands big jace and Ashiok and tries to mill me out. Timely heroes downfalls and DA SNAKE ARMY keeps his planeswalkers down, and he draws anger of the gods too late.

G2: he can't stop the value train of eidolon of blossoms, courser of kruphix, and Pharika, and I run him over

Round 3 vs mono black: win 2-0

G1: his 1-for-1 removal isn't great against my ability to draw all the cards off of eidolon of blossoms, and he gasses out before I do. Then courser with bestowed herald of torment does all the work

G2: vraska ultimate and misers rogues passage thank you based god.

Round 4 vs azorius control: win 2-0

G1: have 2 eidolon of blossoms and a Pharika out. Opponent goes to detention sphere the eidolons, in response abrupt decay the sphere that has 2 boon satyr on it, draw 4 cards, untap, bestow herald of torment onto boon satyr (activating Pharika) swing for everything.

G2: I forget that I have a rogues passage out and as a result I could have won the game three turns earlier through my opponents Mutavaults and elspeth soldier tokens, whoops. Luckily I win anyways.

GB constellations, still a great deck.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Mezzanon posted:

Went 3-0-1 with g/b constellation last week for 1st place which was pretty cool. Super weird wins though. I tied against aggro (as the midrange deck) and beat control all day (a match I am not favoured in)

Round 1 vs orzhov aggro: 1-1 tie.

G1: I make a misplay and play a tap land instead of T2 abrupt decaying his imposing sovereign, that puts me a turn behind, my gently caress up costs me the game.

G2: I put in work with creatures, and golgari charm is a one sided board wipe.

However I'm playing the slowest aggro player in the world and he take minutes to figure out his plays. So we go to g3 at the start of 5 turns.

R2 against Grixis control. Win 2-0

G1: I land a t3 Pharika, and everything else is countered and/or immediately killed. Opponent lands big jace and Ashiok and tries to mill me out. Timely heroes downfalls and DA SNAKE ARMY keeps his planeswalkers down, and he draws anger of the gods too late.

G2: he can't stop the value train of eidolon of blossoms, courser of kruphix, and Pharika, and I run him over

Round 3 vs mono black: win 2-0

G1: his 1-for-1 removal isn't great against my ability to draw all the cards off of eidolon of blossoms, and he gasses out before I do. Then courser with bestowed herald of torment does all the work

G2: vraska ultimate and misers rogues passage thank you based god.

Round 4 vs azorius control: win 2-0

G1: have 2 eidolon of blossoms and a Pharika out. Opponent goes to detention sphere the eidolons, in response abrupt decay the sphere that has 2 boon satyr on it, draw 4 cards, untap, bestow herald of torment onto boon satyr (activating Pharika) swing for everything.

G2: I forget that I have a rogues passage out and as a result I could have won the game three turns earlier through my opponents Mutavaults and elspeth soldier tokens, whoops. Luckily I win anyways.

GB constellations, still a great deck.

Mind posting your list? I've been thinking of switching over to that deck, but it always seems slow at finishing off the game.

burgeralarm
Jun 3, 2012

Getting excited about the possibilities for artifacts in Standard. I tossed this together and it seems to goldfish alright, but haven't had a chance to playtest it yet. Any thoughts?

Deck: UR Artifacts

//Lands
4 Darksteel Citadel
9 Island
2 Mutavault
4 Shivan Reef
4 Temple of Epiphany

//Spells
2 Rapid Hybridization
4 Shrapnel Blast
4 Springleaf Drum
4 Ensoul Artifact

//Creatures
4 Chief Engineer
4 Gargoyle Sentinel
3 Judge's Familiar
2 Juggernaut
4 Ornithopter
4 Phyrexian Revoker
2 Scuttling Doom Engine

Display deck statistics

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Bugsy posted:

Mind posting your list? I've been thinking of switching over to that deck, but it always seems slow at finishing off the game.

Creatures:

2x Spiteful Returned
3x Brain Maggot
3x Scavenging Ooze
4x Herald of Torment
4x Boon Satyr
2x Pharika, God of Affliction
4x Courser of Kruphix
4x Eidolon of Blossoms

// 26 total

Spells:

4x Abrupt Decay
4x Hero's Downfall
2x Vraska

// 10 total

Lands:

4x Overgrown Tomb
4x Temple of Malady
1x Rogues Passage
1x Mana Confluence
2x Mutavault
6x Swamp
6x Forest

// 24 total

Sideboard:

3x Golgari Charm
3x Devour Flesh
3x LIfeBane Zombie
3x Thoughtseize
2x Mistcutter Hydra
1x Extinguish all Hope

// 15 total

I could probably find room for a doomwake giant.

It's a Grindy midrange deck forever. But then some times you bestow herald of torment onto an active Pharika and doing so draws you cards, the you swing in with your 8/8 flying indestructible creature and you have a golgari charm backup for the incoming supreme verdict.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 3, 2014

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Here's what I'll probably be running come M15, I think it's an interesting take on the typical RW Burn deck:

Deck: Boros Burn Tokens

//Lands
4 Battlefield Forge
12 Mountain
2 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry

//Spells
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Raise the Alarm
3 Shock
4 Stoke the Flames

//Creatures
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Satyr Firedancer
4 Young Pyromancer

Display deck statistics

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I wouldn't write off Warleader's Helix just yet.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Mezzanon posted:

It's a Grindy midrange deck forever. But then some times you bestow herald of torment onto an active Pharika and doing so draws you cards, the you swing in with your 8/8 flying indestructible creature and you have a golgari charm backup for the incoming supreme verdict.

I'm glad to see someone having success with Pharika, as I've not been too impressed with her thus far. For what it's worth, here's my current list:

4x Boon Satyr
4x Brain Maggot
4x Courser of Kruphix
2x Doomwake Giant
4x Eidolon of Blossoms
2x Herald of Torment
4x Sylvan Caryatid

4x Thoughtseize
2x Abrupt Decay
4x Hero's Downfall
3x Ultimate Price

7x Forest
4x Overgrown Tomb
8x Swamp
4x Temple of Malady

SB:

2x Abrupt Decay
2x Doom Blade
4x Duress
3x Golgari Charm
4x Scavenging Ooze

Basically, my worst matchups (read: I've lost to the same player the last two FNMs I've attended) have been Jund Monsters, so I've prioritized more removal with extra copies of Doom Blade in the sideboard. Extra copies of ScOoze help in the Burn matchup.

As for the main, I really love Eidolon of Blossoms but I question using a complete set at times; the inclusion of Chord into Standard will probably get me to drop the number a bit.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I want to see someone try the full-on suicide-lands 4xSacred Foundry 4xBattlefield Forge 4xMana Confluence boros aggro-burn deck. Maybe running Firedrinker Satyrs for good measure. :black101:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Entropic posted:

I want to see someone try the full-on suicide-lands 4xSacred Foundry 4xBattlefield Forge 4xMana Confluence boros aggro-burn deck. Maybe running Firedrinker Satyrs for good measure. :black101:

It wouldn't run 4 mana confluence, 2 at the most. Realistically, i don't think the deck needs that many duals. I run Rw burn, and what I'm thinking is 4 sacred foundry, 4 temples, 2 battlefield forges. The deck just barely splashes white, it doesnt' need a lot. The scry lands are still good enough that I'd rather have them. The burn deck doesn't have a lot of t1 plays, almost none really.

I don't think any deck other than mono-red aggro would run firedrinker Satyr.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

jassi007 posted:

It wouldn't run 4 mana confluence, 2 at the most. Realistically, i don't think the deck needs that many duals. I run Rw burn, and what I'm thinking is 4 sacred foundry, 4 temples, 2 battlefield forges. The deck just barely splashes white, it doesnt' need a lot. The scry lands are still good enough that I'd rather have them. The burn deck doesn't have a lot of t1 plays, almost none really.

I don't think any deck other than mono-red aggro would run firedrinker Satyr.

I used to run firedrinker satyrs (and spark troopers) in the sideboard of my burn deck for control matchups. There was a lot of control at my shop at the time and the option to switch to those in place of chains and/or searing blood made a difference.

Im curious to see what new burns we get with khans. The new convoke burn is pretty good, especially if you have other creatures that don't tap very often like satyr firedancer.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I used to run firedrinker satyrs (and spark troopers) in the sideboard of my burn deck for control matchups. There was a lot of control at my shop at the time and the option to switch to those in place of chains and/or searing blood made a difference.

Im curious to see what new burns we get with khans. The new convoke burn is pretty good, especially if you have other creatures that don't tap very often like satyr firedancer.

Thats true I did forget about Firedrinker in the sb for control.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Unfortunately, I don't think burn is going to be viable post-rotation. Boros Charm and Skullcrack really make the deck what it is, and even if lifegain is going to be less prevalent with Rev gone, that's still a lot of mana-efficient damage that the deck loses out on.

Also, burn as a deck is really dependent on having a critical mass of cards to support it (moreso than most aggro). In general I wouldn't expect it to be a real deck until the later sets of a block.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Jabor posted:

Unfortunately, I don't think burn is going to be viable post-rotation. Boros Charm and Skullcrack really make the deck what it is, and even if lifegain is going to be less prevalent with Rev gone, that's still a lot of mana-efficient damage that the deck loses out on.

Also, burn as a deck is really dependent on having a critical mass of cards to support it (moreso than most aggro). In general I wouldn't expect it to be a real deck until the later sets of a block.

Agree. But it will be fun in super standard! Battlefield forge is better mana fixing than mana confluence.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Okay, here is my try at making a competitive sliver deck-

Deck: Slivers with Chromanticore

//Lands
4 Yavimaya Coast
4 Mana Confluence
4 Mutavault
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Sliver Hive
4 Temple Garden

//Spells
4 Chord of Calling

//Creatures
2 Blur Sliver
2 Bonescythe Sliver
1 Chromanticore
2 Constricting Sliver
3 Diffusion Sliver
2 Galerider Sliver
2 Leeching Sliver
4 Manaweft Sliver
1 Megantic Sliver
4 Predatory Sliver
4 Sliver Hivelord
2 Syphon Sliver

//Other
1 Belligerent Sliver
2 Venom Sliver

Display deck statistics

I am not sure what combo of slivers are most optimal, but I think diffusion, manaweft, hivelord slivers are the most important, with them being able to negate the usual removal and wrath effects. I think mutavault might be a bit greedy, if not I will run stomping grounds instead. I think with chord tutoring out any sliver based keyword that it could become a viable t2 deck in super standard.

I might take out a couple of hivelords and a leeching sliver for 3 hive stirrings for better chord value

Samael fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 4, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Samael posted:

Okay, here is my try at making a competitive sliver deck-

Deck: Slivers with Chromanticore

//Lands
4 Yavimaya Coast
4 Mana Confluence
4 Mutavault
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Sliver Hive
4 Temple Garden

//Spells
4 Chord of Calling

//Creatures
2 Blur Sliver
2 Bonescythe Sliver
1 Chromanticore
2 Constricting Sliver
3 Diffusion Sliver
2 Galerider Sliver
2 Leeching Sliver
4 Manaweft Sliver
1 Megantic Sliver
4 Predatory Sliver
4 Sliver Hivelord
2 Syphon Sliver

//Other
1 Belligerent Sliver
2 Venom Sliver

Display deck statistics

I am not sure what combo of slivers are most optimal, but I think diffusion, manaweft, hivelord slivers are the most important, with them being able to negate the usual removal and wrath effects. I think mutavault might be a bit greedy, if not I will run stomping grounds instead. I think with chord tutoring out any sliver based keyword that it could become a viable t2 deck in super standard.

I might take out a couple of hivelords and a leeching sliver for 3 hive stirrings for better chord value

2 mutavault. Might consider the new red spell 2R exile 3 cards play them this turn for draw. Chord is good and all but this deck isn't very midrange. You need to keep vomiting out slivers, being able to flip 3 over and cast a couple would be better imo.

I'm guessing you are set on using chromanticore, but I don't think it does anything for this deck.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

jassi007 posted:

2 mutavault. Might consider the new red spell 2R exile 3 cards play them this turn for draw. Chord is good and all but this deck isn't very midrange. You need to keep vomiting out slivers, being able to flip 3 over and cast a couple would be better imo.

I'm guessing you are set on using chromanticore, but I don't think it does anything for this deck.

Dude just wants to bestow chromanticore on a hivelord. Wouldn't you?

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

I have this ridiculous idea. I want to make this. I'm sure it's somehow terrible, but I feel like I need to live the dream of turn 4 5/5 indestructible + 6/6 trampler + 3/4 flier swinging in, or one-sided blowing up my opponent's crap with rig while simultaneously gaining a trillion life via azorius charm. I'm sure better deck builders than I can point out where I've gone wrong. :)

Deck: Azorius Rig

//Lands
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Hallowed Fountain
8 Island
2 Mana Confluence
4 Plains

//Spells
4 Azorius Charm
4 Detention Sphere
4 Ensoul Artifact
4 Haunted Plate Mail
2 Military Intelligence

//Creatures
4 Chief Engineer
4 Cloudfin Raptor
4 Ornithopter
4 Soul of New Phyrexia
4 Volatile Rig

//Sideboard
4 Phyrexian Revoker
3 Negate
2 Polymorphist's Jest
2 Spirit Bonds
2 Banishing Light
2 Sphinx's Revelation

Display deck statistics

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Mezzanon posted:

Dude just wants to bestow chromanticore on a hivelord. Wouldn't you?

Not really? I've thought about building slivers for m15 gameday, I just want to shove as many of them down someones throat as I can. Chromanticore is trying to be to fancy, more dudes, all the dudes, attacking.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Considering what M15 stuff belongs in my BW Midrange going forward besides Caves of Kolios.

Devouring Light might be worth playing over Banishing Light if I can make the mana work. Stain the Mind will probably make it to the sideboard. I'd kinda like to consider Soul of Theros and Soul of New Phyrexia only they compete with Elspeth for space. New Phyrexia might be a good answer to sweepers and Elspeth's -3.

Liliana Vess could be interesting, never played her in 60 card . Don't know how good her +1 is when not built around with Waste Not etc, but her tutor power might be good if I chose to have multiple entries in 6-slot. Not convinced right now.

I like Spirit bonds - interesting with Pack Rat, and it's another option to protect my guys (except Blood Baron) Can't decide if it delivers value.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
While the summer Superstandard will probably be filled with UB Inspired and (to some extent) Maze's End, there is a project that I want help with. Hornet Nest is a great card, and with something like Izzet Staticaster can be a constant stream of Insects. But then what? Purphoros is an option, but that feels a bit easy. I'd like to try Jund, try Tymaret and create Murderbees.

The other standard-legal pinger is Forgeborn Oreads, so this almost implies a need for Constellation. Luckily, any extra triggers can then be sent at the opponent.

Deck: MURDERBEES

//Main
3 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Leafcrown Dryad
4 Hornet Nest
2 Tymaret, the Murder King
4 Courser of Kruphix
2 Eidolon of Blossoms
3 Forgeborn Oreads
1 Pharika, God of Affliction
3 Purphoros, God of the Forge
2 Hornet Queen
1 Whip of Erebos
3 Ranger's Guile
4 Chord of Calling
4 Temple of Abandon
4 Temple of Malice
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Temple of Malady
1 Mountain
5 Forest
2 Swamp

Display deck statistics

Am I just mad? I really want this to work, and for Tymaret to work.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Honestly? Either build MURDERGOATS or build Rock Stars, but don't build both in the same 75. If you want to make Tymaret work, just find a spot in MURDERGOATS for Necromancer's Stockpile; it produces a zombie token (triggering Purphoros) every turn which is in turn sacrificed to Tymaret to return him and start the magic all over again.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

I have MURDERGOATS built already, yeah - for that, Necromancer's Stockpile is perfect to replace Trading Post (E: post-Rotation, I mean), and drops the curve a little. Rock Stars?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Frozen_flame posted:

I have MURDERGOATS built already, yeah - for that, Necromancer's Stockpile is perfect to replace Trading Post (E: post-Rotation, I mean), and drops the curve a little. Rock Stars?

Green-Black Constellation, basically. I've seen some Jund versions, but GB seems the most consistent to me.

EDIT: Stockpile also gives you a way to recycle excess copies of Purphoros, too. Hm...

bhsman fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 5, 2014

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Oh, right. Once I have the last Caryatid and Temples of Malady in my grasp I was looking for some form of Constellation deck, that works pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Y'know, between Goblin Rabblemaster and Necromancer's Stockpile (and the slowly-cratering price of Purphoros to $5), BR Murder-tokens could be a thing post-rotation. And, like it's progenitor, neither Stockpile nor Rabblemaster are pushing for a lot on SCG preorders. As a result, it could be pretty cheap to assemble.

• Locked thread