Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

muscles like this? posted:

Pretty cool teaser for the new Hunger Games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dCB2U9lX48

I can't exaggerate how much I love the marketing for the Hunger Games. The propaganda theme is really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

High Warlord Zog posted:

Presented to compliment your commentless post without comment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2tI5zW3IU8
This is a pretty good film about the same topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L7vFHco_E4

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UONPSa1VgWw

I haven't laughed so hard at a trailer in a loooooong time.

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1_E84So-2I
Dracula Begins

Am I crazy or does this look like a video game-y sort of fun movie?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Barf Wight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1_E84So-2I
Dracula Begins

Am I crazy or does this look like a video game-y sort of fun movie?

The weirdest thing about this is the title appearing onscreen ~30 seconds in. That's been out of vogue for around 20 years (or more) now.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Nosferatu-lookin' Charles Dance has my attention.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Too bad he'll be in the movie for like 10 minutes at best as Count MacGuffin.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Also Sir Walnutsbane himself, Rickon, is playing young Dracula.

In any case, I'm getting serious Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter vibes off of that trailer (maybe it's because of Dominic Cooper), and I'm down for that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This is going to make so many buckets of money. I really hope it doesn't eclipse Guardians of the Galaxy.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

This is going to make so many buckets of money. I really hope it doesn't eclipse Guardians of the Galaxy.

Really? I think it looks terrible and there's this whole fanbase group who hates it. I don't know. It probably will, but it won't get my money.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

kiimo posted:

Really? I think it looks terrible and there's this whole fanbase group who hates it. I don't know. It probably will, but it won't get my money.

There's probably even more people who hate Transformers and look how that turned out.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's probably even more people who hate Transformers and look how that turned out.

New one will make even more money for sure.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

kiimo posted:

It won't get mine either, but there are entire generations of kids who either barely know about the Turtles or only have that Nickelodeon show to go on and I guarantee that this movie looks like the most awesome thing they have ever seen in their entire lives based solely on the energy and kinetic flow evident in that trailer. I know if I were 8 and relatively inexperienced with the cliches of summer action flicks I'd think that.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
I honestly can't tell anymore which pandering piece of poo poo is going to hook kids and which one isn't. I'm just out of touch with that stuff. Do kids still like the Turtles? I know they're not getting any nostalgia money from me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DNS posted:

I honestly can't tell anymore which pandering piece of poo poo is going to hook kids and which one isn't. I'm just out of touch with that stuff. Do kids still like the Turtles? I know they're not getting any nostalgia money from me.

What's crazy is that TMNT has been around in some form or another consistently since the first cartoon came out way back when. Even GI Joe took a drat break.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Eh, I grew up with the turtles and loved them and think the new ones look like good summer fun. I'll watch it. I don't really get all the vitriol, but to each their own.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
No vitriol here, just disinterest in something that I'm not the target audience for.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Same. At most I'm just really jaded.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The general response seems to be "That looks really weird and probably bad but I don't know what kids are into Michael Bay makes money :shrug:"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

It's drat criminal that the years before Game of Thrones have felt so Charles Dance-deprived. I'm not sure if this is a good example but I need way more Charles Dance in my day-to-day media.

Movie looks pretty ennnnh though. I really liked how Coppola's Dracula was not just a monster, but this looks angsty as hell. Lukula will probably heroically sacrifice himself in the end to save his people. And how much physical force can you get out of a swarm of bats anyway?

The new TMNT is weird, though. It seems to be doing many of the things the Transformers movie was doing - very loud, lots of stuff going on, lots of stuff tacked on to the bulky characters - but I was moderately into TMNT as a kid, and I think it looks fun. I don't mind the redesigns at all, the only thing that made me iffy was the scrapped idea that they were space aliens. As long as this doesn't repeat Transformers's cardinal mistake - focusing way too much on the human character, April - I'm looking forward to it.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 1, 2014

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The 2003 TMNT series was pretty cool and is the one that I associate most with "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". It's gone through a variety of formats, cool fighting turtles seems pretty timeless, and I think it's going to keep sticking around in one way or another. I don't want to see that movie, but it will probably make bank. I don't see it being as huge as something like Transformers but I don't know what the heck.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Dracula Untold will end with Dracula brooding in his castle until there's a knock at the door and he opens it to a rather normal looking Englishman who asks, "Count Dracula?" "Yes?" "I've been looking for you. *Swell of dissonant violins* My name is Jonathan Harker." Cut to black.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Dracula Untold will end with Dracula brooding in his castle until there's a knock at the door and he opens it to a rather normal looking Englishman who asks, "Count Dracula?" "Yes?" "I've been looking for you. *Swell of dissonant violins* My name is Jonathan Harker and I am putting together a team." Cut to black.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I was really into TMNT as a kid, loved the 80s cartoon and the live action movies.

This new one looks like total crap though, I don't see what some of you people are seeing.
Shredder looks like a mess of CGI just like the Transformers were and the turtles themselves look like horrifying creatures that were aborted during the concept design stage but they made them anyways.
And Megan Fox as April is likely one of the worst casting choices I've ever seen/

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
I hope all his super Dracula powers don't stop the Turks and he ends up having to create the forest of impaled soldiers.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Deakul posted:

I was really into TMNT as a kid, loved the 80s cartoon and the live action movies.

This new one looks like total crap though, I don't see what some of you people are seeing.
Shredder looks like a mess of CGI just like the Transformers were and the turtles themselves look like horrifying creatures that were aborted during the concept design stage but they made them anyways.
And Megan Fox as April is likely one of the worst casting choices I've ever seen/

It's a kids movie and you're not a kid anymore, why would you expect to enjoy it?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's a kids movie and you're not a kid anymore, why would you expect to enjoy it?

That's a debate grenade in nerd circles son.

Content:

I know anime is often treated the way garlic is unto vampires around these parts, but I think the exception to the rule would have to be Studio Ghibli unless you're truly a blithering pathetic husk of a goon. Anyway they released a trailer for their next movie and it's very pretty with a very pretty song. It's about a lonely girl who befriends a ghost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCAjMGl1mJg

And before anyone asks the brown-haired child is a girl and yes I agree she looks really androgynous.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
http://thedissolve.com/news/2636-he...campaign=buffer

I'm done waiting. I must see this.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cut to Black. Shane Black. Because this is not just any team but a squad. Of monsters. Monster Squad.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy poo poo that last scene :stonk:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

:stare:
Holy poo poo.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
That looks like a good movie but a part of me is depressed that great comic actors have to put on a drag act to be appreciated like this.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wow.

Holy poo poo this looks loving incredible.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dracula Untold will end with Dracula brooding in his castle until there's a knock at the door and he opens it to a buff guy with a headband who asks, "Count Dracula?" "Yes?" "I've been looking for you. *Swell of dissonant violins* My name is Simon Belmont." Cut to black. Music.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Dracula Untold will end with Dracula brooding in his castle until there's a knock at the door and he opens it to a rather normal looking Englishman who asks, "Count Dracula?" "Yes?" "I've been looking for you. *Swell of dissonant violins*

"My name is Frankenstein. We're putting together a team."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dracula Untold will end with Dracula brooding in his castle until there's a knock at the door and he opens it to a rather normal looking Englishman who asks, "Count Dracula?" "Yes?" "I've been looking for you. *Swell of dissonant violins* My name is Jonathan Harker." Cut to black.

"I'm here to talk to you about the Monster Mash"

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Well this looks tops. Liking Ruffalo's look there, too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DNS posted:

That looks like a good movie but a part of me is depressed that great comic actors have to put on a drag act to be appreciated like this.

But didn't you see Carrell's fake nose? It must be a great performance, he put on a fake nose!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

But didn't you see Carrell's fake nose? It must be a great performance, he put on a fake nose!

Is that really all you got from that trailer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bows1 posted:

Is that really all you got from that trailer?

No.

• Locked thread