Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Bort Bortles posted:

Because:

In the case of Abyssinia, Egypt is the natural expansion direction for a large powerful lord in Abyssinia (especially with the way the map is modeled :v:). Owning just Abyssinia and Nubia would be too easy; to declare yourself the emperor of the Upper Nile you must own the Lower Nile.

marktheando posted:

Also your religious head lives in Alexandria.

Yeah, I guess it makes sense then. Besides, it took so much time and effort to form the empire, it actually felt like a big achievement when I finally did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

Brotato Broth posted:

What are the benefits of vassaling away kingdoms as an emperor, other than not getting the "desires kingdom of xyz" opinion penalty from some dukes? Does it help prevent succession revolts at all? I'm worried that the AI kings might fail to keep the crown authority high and let large chunks of my empire implode from family feuds.

It only helps in that you want to stay below your demesne limit. Otherwise, I like having the direct control so that people don't get pissed when I have my levies off on some crusade.

Crown authority applies to everybody in the borders of your de jure kingdom. If you conquer some areas that are outside of your de jure kingdom, then your crown authority doesn't apply there, only the crown authority of THAT de jure kingdom they are in. So, your AI vassals inside your kingdom have to abide by your crown authority.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I decided to do a play-through where I got as many of the achievements that I was missing as I could, starting in the Mongol start(so I could get Khan of Khans):

Meet Emperor Hannibal "the Magnificent" of The Roman Empire, great-great-great-great-great-great grandson of Genghis Khan:

Kshatriya, Sayyid, Saoshyant Descendant, Born in the purple, Caesar, etc etc.

Achievements...achieved:

The One Who Brings Benefit
S.P.Q.R
Khan of Khans
Looking East and West
Red Sea Resort
What Schism?
Saint Thomas's Dream
Great Indian Sultanate
Kali Maaa
My Very own Subcontinent
Beyond the Indus
The British Raj
To Mecca!
Pentarch
Prester John

Religion Path: Tengri -> Zoroastrian -> Orthodox -> Sunni Muslim -> Catholic -> Sunni Muslim -> Hindu -> Orthodox

Primary Title Path: Mongol -> Empire of Rajastan -> Empire of India -> Roman Empire

This play through was a lot of fun. Changing religions lots makes things more challenging. I conquered almost everything except Nubia, Abyssinia, and Mali. Things just get way too slow with that much territory at the end of the game, and there was no real need to take them.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Boing posted:

aragonARAGONaragon

:geno: I am the King of Aragon
:geno: I too am the King of Aragon

I just had this happen:

EgyptianRevoltEgyptianRevoltEgyptianRevoltEgyptianRevolt

Those Egyptians must have been pissed.

e: Those three tiny provinces next to Jerusalem are also each labeled Egyptian Revolt. :psyduck:
Three Egyptian revolts getting mashed together all at once I guess.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 3, 2014

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Darth Various posted:

What's really confusing is when Brittany and Leon get involved in each others' politics. There are two counties named León and Leòn, one each in Brittany and Leon, and then of course Leon the duchy and Leon the kingdom.

There's also the two counties named Munster, one in Ireland and one in Germany (although that one has an umlaut, I think).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So, I decided to go back and do my Catholic Andalusian Capua game again, see if I can capture some of the magic again and maybe take this one to EU4. First it took nearly 30 years to get a claim on Neapolis, then when I finally did I swore fealty to Sicily like I did in my previous game. Almost immediately I get a message saying that my king wanted loving Neapolis. I said gently caress that and kicked his rear end (I saved up a lot of money in those 30 loving years). Next king does the same thing, so I did the same again. Now I've made myself independent, and Sicily got the poo poo kicked out of them by an independence seeking Apulia, so now the southern half of Italy is a little tiny me, a slightly larger independent Salerno, a somewhat small Sicily and an ugly Apulia that's most of the Kingdom of Sicily.

Did I just get screwed over by the RNG, or are kings just bigger dicks now? What should I do now? My plan was to hide in Sicily and build up my power base, but if they keep trying to take my poo poo...

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Kenzie posted:

I just had this happen:

EgyptianRevoltEgyptianRevoltEgyptianRevoltEgyptianRevolt

Those Egyptians must have been pissed.

e: Those three tiny provinces next to Jerusalem are also each labeled Egyptian Revolt. :psyduck:
Three Egyptian revolts getting mashed together all at once I guess.

Arab Spring, 895 AD!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Just started playing this game and somehow missed this thread so I posted a few questions in the Paradox games thread. I wont repeat those questions (but feel free to answer if you want) but can someone tell me what the determinants are of how big a levy you can raise? Just talking personal levy at the moments.

I'm loving this game so far. In the short time I've been playing my current game I've successfully pressed one claimed, had to surrender when I attempted to press another (after he called in a big ally), put my son in jail, and knocked up my half-brother's wife (a marriage I arranged incidentally). So awesome.

e: Holy poo poo I just found out my wife is boffing my nephew lol.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 3, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My Hammer Dynasty game is in the 1200s now. The Norse are STILL unreformed and all efforts are being stymied by these christian norse assholes who keep calling on mainland help. I'm several hundred gold in the hole from having to surrender several wars I've been dragged into. The holy sites are under splintered control, Norse moral authority is in the toilet. drat if I'm giving up though. I brought up the Hammers from a single holding through good times and bad, though yeah this is currently the lowest ebb its been with 10k christian hordes rampaging through Northern Europe.

On the other hand I started a new game as King Ironside and it's too easy. Got the necessary holy sites in a few minutes of starting and just building up my piety. Guess I'm looking for a middle ground between brutally hard and having everything on a platter.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
The more buildings that boost levies in the holding means more recruits, your Martial skill also applies a percentage bonus, you can also set your Marshal to boost levies, dependent on his Martial skill. There are also some effects that can apply to the character or province which affect levies.

At a slightly less significant level, consider the more holdings (and their buildings) directly inside your province owned by barons, mayors and priests, their opinion of you and the laws requiring them to donate levies (this also applies to all other vassals). Barons (almost) never rebel so you can consider them a direct extension of your own levies.

Here's Siggurd Snake-in-the-Eye at start, with his Marshal set to Train Troops in the capital. He has 12 Martial. Mousing over the troop types shows the bonuses and sources applied.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Boing posted:

aragonARAGONaragon

The Kingdom, Duchy and County of Burgundy all usually end up existing separately in my games. Guess it's just my luck.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
Uhh, my heir with 100 opinion of me just raised a 20k doom stack out of nowhere in my own county and destroyed my empire in a claims war. :psyduck: Is this sort of random bullshit frequent in this game?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Brotato Broth posted:

Uhh, my heir with 100 opinion of me just raised a 20k doom stack out of nowhere in my own county and destroyed my empire in a claims war. :psyduck: Is this sort of random bullshit frequent in this game?

Assuming this was an adventurer threat, you should have got a notification and had two years to kill him or land him or figure something out.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

Tsyni posted:

Assuming this was an adventurer threat, you should have got a notification and had two years to kill him or land him or figure something out.

Huh, is it the "unlanded sons" warning thing?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Brotato Broth posted:

Huh, is it the "unlanded sons" warning thing?

No, that's a simple "you're losing prestige" notification. If you get a popup saying "X is banding a horde of adventurers for an attempt on my title" then it means someone's getting ready to attack you.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

catlord posted:

So, I decided to go back and do my Catholic Andalusian Capua game again, see if I can capture some of the magic again and maybe take this one to EU4. First it took nearly 30 years to get a claim on Neapolis, then when I finally did I swore fealty to Sicily like I did in my previous game. Almost immediately I get a message saying that my king wanted loving Neapolis. I said gently caress that and kicked his rear end (I saved up a lot of money in those 30 loving years). Next king does the same thing, so I did the same again. Now I've made myself independent, and Sicily got the poo poo kicked out of them by an independence seeking Apulia, so now the southern half of Italy is a little tiny me, a slightly larger independent Salerno, a somewhat small Sicily and an ugly Apulia that's most of the Kingdom of Sicily.

Did I just get screwed over by the RNG, or are kings just bigger dicks now? What should I do now? My plan was to hide in Sicily and build up my power base, but if they keep trying to take my poo poo...

Kings put a really heavy weight on owning the de jure capital of their title, and Naples is Sicily's

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Allyn posted:

Kings put a really heavy weight on owning the de jure capital of their title, and Naples is Sicily's

Aw gently caress. Did it used to be different? The last time I did this was before The Old Gods, and I could have sworn that my demense pretty much from the beginning was Capua-Napoli, and I never had trouble with my liege demanding it.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

catlord posted:

Aw gently caress. Did it used to be different? The last time I did this was before The Old Gods, and I could have sworn that my demense pretty much from the beginning was Capua-Napoli, and I never had trouble with my liege demanding it.

I couldn't say for sure but I certainly feel like it's been that way ever since I started playing, which was when Old Gods came out. It's entirely possibly you just got RNG-lucky in that earlier playthrough, of course :shobon:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

If anyone remembers me asking about "what happens when a secondary Gavelkind title is going to be inherited by my first son who will not be winning the election for the rest of my titles" a few pages ago....I finally got to test it. I granted the two counties of Galicia away to courtiers and the notification went away. I think that if you own lands in the Gavelkind title's lands, those lands follow Gavelkind law, but if you do not own any counties there your heir simply keeps the title (since there is no physical land for anyone else to inherit). So now I get all the prestige of owning another Kingdom title but I only have to manage two counties!

Allyn posted:

I couldn't say for sure but I certainly feel like it's been that way ever since I started playing, which was when Old Gods came out. It's entirely possibly you just got RNG-lucky in that earlier playthrough, of course :shobon:

I am pretty sure the de jure capital thing was an addition in a patch, maybe even Old Gods, which could explain Catlord's issue but you never not knowing it.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Newbie question!

If I have levies raised and could raise more, is there any way to just just like, get reinforcements or do I have to disband and re-raise?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Bort Bortles posted:

I am pretty sure the de jure capital thing was an addition in a patch, maybe even Old Gods, which could explain Catlord's issue but you never not knowing it.

Makes sense, thanks, guys. Huh, I'm not certain where to go from here then. Maybe I should try packing up and moving elsewhere. Park my Vizier on Iceland or something.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Boing posted:

aragonARAGONaragon

:geno: I am the King of Aragon
:geno: I too am the King of Aragon

Valencia, Third Aragon

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

JoshTheStampede posted:

Newbie question!

If I have levies raised and could raise more, is there any way to just just like, get reinforcements or do I have to disband and re-raise?

You have to disband an re-raise usually.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Newbie question!

If only part of your holdings have reinforced you can disband just the troops from there and re-raise them, but there's no way to skip disbanding troops.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Do enemies take into account how far away your troops are? Would they even know your troops are off in action halfway across the world, and they'd have time to strike before you could get back? It feels that way, stop interrupting me you assholes, I'm busy burning down Rome!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
It could be the losses from attrition/besieging/battles lowers your effective power enough to tempt them.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

Newbie question!

If you currently have even a single soldier raised from a holding you will not be able to raise any that have replenished in that particular holding. However if you have holdings with no levies raised (say they weren't raised in the first place or the entirety of the troops originally raised from there died from combat/attrition/whatever) you will be able to raise those without disbanding any that you have up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This aint good.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Any good tips for handling decadence? My main problem is that I need to imprison my relatives to stop them from being decadent but this incurs -10 tyranny each and every time. My ruler is up to -200 tyranny opinion now and can barely raise any vassal levies due to most of them having -100 opinion. I thought Muslims were supposed get free imprisonments for dynasty members or something?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TjyvTompa posted:

Any good tips for handling decadence? My main problem is that I need to imprison my relatives to stop them from being decadent but this incurs -10 tyranny each and every time. My ruler is up to -200 tyranny opinion now and can barely raise any vassal levies due to most of them having -100 opinion. I thought Muslims were supposed get free imprisonments for dynasty members or something?

Have you asked them to stop being decadent? It's an option in the religion tab.

You can only do this once, and some people become decadent again. If they have more negative traits, they have a higher chance to become decadent again. Sometimes, people refuse to stop being decadent when you ask them. If you have high learning or diplomacy, you can convince them regardless, but it's generally better to use the free imprisonment if the decadent family member is unimportant. And plotting to murder decadent family members that you can't imprison for free is very important to manage decadence.

Then there are the things you can do to lower decadence, holy warring and celebrating Ramadan mainly. Also, you should not spread your dynasty, a small family makes it easier to manage decadence.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

TjyvTompa posted:

You probably know you can ask then to not be decadent on the religion tab, but it costs 100 piety and then they usually get decadent back after a fashion and you cant ask again.

Then I will imprison the fucker unless my tyranny is already above 50 or 60. In this cases, I will see if I can easily plot murder then. If not, and I have plenty of money, maybe assassinate him. Both this options are kinda dangerous though, if you get caught you will incur in penalties a lot worst than the -10 tyranny for imprison (kinslayer).

So sometimes I just let then live and then manage the decadence using ramadams, tourneys, and all kinds of holly wars (best way to lower decadence, but not always a choice).

On my current game, now that I have a huge dynasty, decadence is really a loving pain in the rear end to manage. But at the same time Im very big and powerful and Im the caliph, so I can just let the decadence pile up a bit and then erase it by winning a holly war or jihad.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Yeah I asked them and they almost instantly become decadent again, that's why I need to imprison them. I think I'm going to try to plot to kill them. I can't really leave them decadent because they would just pile up and skyrocket my decadence really fast. Also, I really hate the bug that whenever you win a rebellion against you all your prisoners are set free for some reason so you have to imprison them again for even more tyranny.

I'm trying to get the 'The Caliphate Strikes Back' cheevo and I landed many dynasty members in the beginning thinking that would help but now it's 60 years later and I'm drowning in decadent relatives. I read on some wiki somewhere that members of one of the Muslims schools do not become decadent, is this true? I believe it was the piety one, I'm using the technology one but I'll switch if this is true.

Otherwise playing as a Muslim is really fun, especially being the Caliph, I just won a jihad for Jerusalem, badass:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

This aint good.

The Mongols will be cracking down on that poo poo in a few decades, don't worry.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
What are some fun Muslim starts? It's hard being near the Abbasids or Umayyads something since they're so indomitable, and I kinda like being near Catholics for some holy war hijinks. I guess I could start in Tunisia and try to create the Islamic Empire of Carthage going north through Sicily?

I did recently discover the Haesteinn of Nantes start and I also want to know what kind of weird poo poo you can pull with him.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Apparently a 'very big expansion' for Crusader Kings 2 is already being worked on and will be officially presented at Gamescom in August.

Here is the page with the relevant post by Johan.

Any guesses? Maybe they're finally doing the adventurer/mercenary DLC that I've been hoping for so long... :shobon:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gimmick Account posted:

Apparently a 'very big expansion' for Crusader Kings 2 is already being worked on and will be officially presented at Gamescom in August.

Here is the page with the relevant post by Johan.

Any guesses? Maybe they're finally doing the adventurer/mercenary DLC that I've been hoping for so long... :shobon:

:china: please.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
There are three substantial gaps in the game so far I think:

- Playing theocracies
- Intrigue options
- Naval warfare

Playing theocracies would be hella boring, but I'd love an intrigue expansion that fleshes out the plot system and lets you do more than just plot to kill people or revoke titles. I know some mods add kidnapping and fabricating evidence which is cool, but that should be in the base game and there should be so much more to do.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Boing posted:

There are three substantial gaps in the game so far I think:

- Playing theocracies
- Intrigue options
- Naval warfare

Playing theocracies would be hella boring, but I'd love an intrigue expansion that fleshes out the plot system and lets you do more than just plot to kill people or revoke titles. I know some mods add kidnapping and fabricating evidence which is cool, but that should be in the base game and there should be so much more to do.

Non-Papal theocracies and non-coastal merchant republics would be great. As would being able to play as an unlanded courtier.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I hope they never do a naval warfare expansion. The way it works in other paradox titles just doesn't fit the time period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

SeaTard posted:

As would being able to play as an unlanded courtier.

Announcing our latest DLC: "Peasants & Pikemen". Now you have the ability to play as unlanded lowborn characters! Plot to kill a fellow courtier, or lead a peasant uprising in circles before getting crushed!

• Locked thread