Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Last year for vacation we got to see Twitter drama with Opie vs Reddit, this year is finally the year Ant gets called out for being a loving racist rear end in a top hat. Summer vacations rule for this show. It's almost too good to be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Don't worry everyone, Anthony will be safe because of hash tag activism! Justices for Anthony Cumia!

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

bunky posted:

Don't worry everyone, Anthony will be safe because of hash tag activism! Justices for Anthony Cumia!

AWWRITE?!

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
#knockitoffspades

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
The man whose answer to "Things Anthony says" was "friend of the family" would like you to reconsider that Anthony is a massive racist.

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003

Kevyn posted:

Now I'm laughing picturing Anthony doing that "guy waking up and remembering he's in trouble" bit tomorrow but for real.

*birds chirping* "Mmm looks like a sunny day out today" *streeeeech* "Guess I better go downstairs and get the coffee goi-OH HOLY poo poo I BLEW UP MY WHOLE CAREER!"

How fitting would it be if Ant has to go back to installing HVAC Units after all these years though.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Anthony's tweets are both very lovely and problematic.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

jyrka posted:

Anthony's tweets are both very lovely and problematic.

would you say they were 'triggering'?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

It probably won't be the incident itself that gets him fired but rather his attempts to defend himself on Twitter.

I'm fully expecting him to get loaded over this weekend and straight up start calling people who disagree with him friend of the family-lovers. That or he'll do a Live From The Compound and say something wildly inappropriate.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

On the bright side, Opie's been looking for an excuse to quit for a while now, so he'll also be happy. Really the only one who gets hosed is Jim and he's always one drink away from a downward spiral culminating in suicide anyway.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Just looking over Twitter for the past couple of hours and Ant is already revving up.

It's, what, 6 or 7 in the morning in New York at the moment?

I give him until midday before he blows the whole thing up.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

People are posting all kinds of Live from the Compound clips on that Gawker article. Haha, Anthony. I generally hate when people pile on someone but this dude has been publicly spouting this stuff for years.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

If there is a Monday show (and at this point, I doubt it) I wonder if they'll sign off with "Your mom's box"

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Tomorrow's July 4th, this story barely has a day of life left in the media.

Paul Kersey
Oct 28, 2004

As funny as it is to see Anthony get called out on his racism, I really hope this doesn't lead to his firing. He's still a brilliant, funny motherfucker who, along with Jimmy, is responsible for most of the humor on the show.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Were they just playing the "pick out a black girl for Anthony to date" bit?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The worst thing about this is that if Ant get's poo poo-canned it will be his own fault for actually bringing up what happened to him on Twitter in the first place.

Had he not mentioned it none of the media outlets that will inevitably be looking for his head on a plate would have know anything because it's not like he has paps following him around like other celebrities.

Also, he is currently playing the victim and retweeting people who are comparing what's happening to him to people blaming rape victims for being raped.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The best was when he retweeted someone blaming DeBlasio for the streets being unsafe.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I've yet to see anything even close to a real news outlet reporting this. I honestly don't think enough people give a poo poo about O&A for them to be shitcanned. If it starts making the rounds on CNN and poo poo, maybe, but conservative blog, gawker articles and a few dozen people riled up on twitter probably won't get the job done for manufacturing outrage.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 3, 2014

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Under the vegetable posted:

Ron and Fez, noon to three, sirius xm comedy hits channel 99.

now is the time where we flood the thread with better headlines for Ant's troubles.

Niwrad posted:

If Ant is gone the show is over. Jim has other stuff going on and just doesn't seem as invested in the show. Opie just isn't good.

Fire Ant, fire Fez, go ahead and buy 866-RON-0-PIE and treat us right.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Cromulent posted:

I've yet to see anything even close to a real news outlet reporting this. I honestly don't think enough people give a poo poo about O&A for them to be shitcanned. If it starts making the rounds on CNN and poo poo, maybe, but conservative blog, gawker articles and a few dozen people riled up on twitter probably won't get the job done for manufacturing outrage.

The Dave posted:

Tomorrow's July 4th, this story barely has a day of life left in the media.

As much as I'd love watching Antony squirm, these posts are probably correct. I don't think enough people listen to SiriusXM for this outrage boner to go mainstream (like say, Imus' nappy headed hoes comment ). Next week, Ant will make some half hearted wink-wink apology and the show will go on.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Still hilarious all the same.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
also how did this not get emptyquoted

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

I hope that the story picks up enough steam that the woman who hit him is interviewed, and we get to hear her side of the story. (It probably won't happen because of potential legal retribution, but a guy can dream.)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
At least, he's playing it smooth and calm on Twit-

quote:

My posts on twitter after I was assaulted were profanity laced indeed but racist? Nope. Why should I afford my attacker any courtesy? Insane

quote:

Hey, @aleksnotalex you loving excuse for a "journalist". Spread your poo poo but won't come to the source & address me? You're a little oval office.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
When I first listened to the show, I found Anthony to be an incredibly quick-witted, funny guy, so I followed him on twitter. That lasted about 2 days, it's loving awful on a normal day it's just turned up to 11 at the moment.

spudsbuckley posted:

Also, he is currently playing the victim and retweeting people who are comparing what's happening to him to people blaming rape victims for being raped.

It never ceases to amaze me that there are so many fans of the show so quick to loving dogpile anybody who has a dissenting opinion, also how utterly vile and humourless those people are. They say it themselves on the show, but how can these people so religiously listen to a comedy show and just not understand funny at all.

Also a vast majority of the defence seem to be "everybody is forgetting the unprovoked attack from a SAVAGE", when most of the articles don't deny the fact he was attacked, just that he's a misogynistic, racist shitheel. The totally unprovoked angle seems kinda iffy at best whilst we only have one side of the story.

Stotty fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 3, 2014

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Were they just playing the "pick out a black girl for Anthony to date" bit?

Yeah, and yesterday they played Jim Breuer's story from Wildwood, NJ when he was threatened by the "albino" and the cop told him they were all animals. Whoever's programming the "Best Of" seems to be having fun with it.

Phlag posted:

I hope that the story picks up enough steam that the woman who hit him is interviewed, and we get to hear her side of the story. (It probably won't happen because of potential legal retribution, but a guy can dream.)

This is my thought as well. Her photo is all over these articles, someone who knows her will have to see it eventually.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Fire Ant, fire Fez, go ahead and buy 866-RON-0-PIE and treat us right.

I would have agreed with this until I saw the t-shirt.

OlyMike
Sep 17, 2006
I'm talking about flagellation, who gives a damn about parades
USA Today picked it up, sort of http://entertainthis.usatoday.com/2014/07/03/opie-anthony-show-dj-cumia-racist-rant/.

That's mainstream right? At least people in Holiday Inn Express' will read it tomorrow maybe?

This isn't even close to the worse thing that he's said on Twitter, I lasted a whole week or two following him before I had to unfollow, so I don't see why anyone should treat this any different. I wonder if he's frantically going through his old stuff, getting rid of the especially terrible ones.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Cromulent posted:

We really only need one special interest group to pick up on this and Sirius will bend over backwards so far that the entire channel will rocket out their rear end and into the dumpster.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I think there is enough stuff to bury him in the show archives alone, especially cut up and taken out of any comedic context. And we all know that for every lighthearted 'friend of the family vs nazi challenge' bit (or even quick-witted, if racist, bell rings and one-liners), there are 5 Treyvon Martin rants with no comedy whatsoever.

I guess I'm not sure how easily available all of that is if you're not internal to Sirius? Are full shows all over YouTube? I'd expect the best-of type bits, but did anyone really bother to archive Treyvon Marin segment #72 online?

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 3, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Gawker has already linked to his eugenics rant that is hosted on youtube.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Stotty posted:

When I first listened to the show, I found Anthony to be an incredibly quick-witted, funny guy, so I followed him on twitter. That lasted about 2 days, it's loving awful on a normal day it's just turned up to 11 at the moment.

It never ceases to amaze me that there are so many fans of the show so quick to loving dogpile anybody who has a dissenting opinion, also how utterly vile and humourless those people are. They say it themselves on the show, but how can these people so religiously listen to a comedy show and just not understand funny at all.

Also a vast majority of the defence seem to be "everybody is forgetting the unprovoked attack from a SAVAGE", when most of the articles don't deny the fact he was attacked, just that he's a misogynistic, racist shitheel. The totally unprovoked angle seems kinda iffy at best whilst we only have one side of the story.

Actually, a lot of fans I've seen are supplying the ammo to the media because it's hilarious to see Ant squirm. Yeah, a lot of them are shitheels, but a lot of them are also assholes with a sense of fair play. Racist Ant is the worst Ant, and that needed to stop years ago.

MrChupon posted:

I think there is enough stuff to bury him in the show archives alone, especially cut up and taken out of any comedic context. And we all know that for every lighthearted 'friend of the family vs nazi challenge' bit (or even quick-witted, if racist, bell rings and one-liners), there are 5 Treyvon Martin rants with no comedy whatsoever.

I guess I'm not sure how easily available all of that is if you're not internal to Sirius? Are full shows all over YouTube? I'd expect the best-of type bits, but did anyone really bother to archive Treyvon Marin segment #72 online?

There's enough bits anywhere on YouTube, especially when Ant 'jokes' about racism and whatnot. The man has hung himself.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

CrashCat posted:

We really only need one special interest group to pick up on this and Sirius will bend over backwards so far that the entire channel will rocket out their rear end and into the dumpster.

Yeah Sirius is built on pretty much overpaying giant mainstream media names (Bob Dylan, Martha Stewart, Jamie Foxx, major American sports leagues) to attract people to their brand. The only way I see them surviving is if this loses steam over the holiday. If it makes it to NAACP, CNN or someone, I don't see how they can afford to stand by O&A. I'm not sure Howard Stern could survive this in 2014, and he actually drives their subscribers. At very least he'd lose all of his mainstream TV gigs.

I enjoy the show despite Ant's shittiness so I'm not going to be the one to facilitate this, but Jesus, get Al Sharpton on the wire if you want this to be over. The only sad part to me would be not getting to see the hilarious followup show if Al Sharpton is finally their undoing.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Opie has been trying to get the apology clock noticed in the main stream. It's an inside job.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 3, 2014

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
So Anthony was walking around Times Square taking photos of the scenery (Noted photography enthusiast and tourist in New York that he is) and then this black woman came up and started beating him up for no reason, he called her a "nincompoop" and then she beat him up some more while all the black people and white people ( mentioned as separate groups despite doing the same thing)all gathered around to laugh at him. And he hasn't gone to the police because she'll claim he sexually assaulted her. Obviously this is Obama's fault.

He certainly wasn't drunkenly staggering around Times Square trying to take candid pictures for him to masturbate over later, called a woman a friend of the family for hitting him over this and then decided not to call the cops because she'd very accurately describe what he was doing with several eye witnesses to verify her statement.

Air tight story, Ant.

This whole thing is beautiful, Ten out of Ten, will enjoy hearing about his inevitable suicide when he finally loses his job.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
Man, it was actually funny as gently caress back when Ant would make silly racism jokes with Patrice like in this bit instead of just being a miserable old oval office like now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBfg1t7ZnpQ

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
When it comes back, there will be a terribly brief discussion on incident and then a full week on how "the media" treat stories like this and how the real point has been missed.

Nobody on the show will call him out or dig deeper in to what really transpired in the lead up to the attack.

Stotty fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 3, 2014

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Did Anthony explain how exactly the man with a stack of PBA cards and a cop personal assistant couldn't report an assault?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Guze posted:

Did Anthony explain how exactly the man with a stack of PBA cards and a cop personal assistant couldn't report an assault?
He didn't bother because the police and justice system favor black people over whitey. This literally was his explanation.

• Locked thread