Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

There must be an epidemic because that has broken out in my household, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Mine is a chronic tongue hanger outer

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I like how your dog's tongue looks like an uncooked piece of bacon...

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

spoon daddy posted:

Mine is a chronic tongue hanger outer

Reese does that daily. Dude likes his belly rubs.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I'm saddened by the fact that Mona doesn't let her tongue hang out like that.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Remy doesn't do that either. He likes to sleep in awkward positions that leave like only one nostril free though. He'll breathe really heavily for a minute or so before realizing it won't work and repositioning.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Don't really have anything new to say. Just gonna leave this here.

Edit: Also bought Rory a pool yesterday. I even added a squirt of dog shampoo to trick her into smelling nice. :ninja:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTHXVGnZZAo

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 8, 2014

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

pastor of muppets posted:

Edit: Also bought Rory a pool yesterday. I even added a squirt of dog shampoo to trick her into smelling nice. :ninja:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTHXVGnZZAo

Haha cute. Abby refuses to get in water. Anyone else's hound the same way?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Haha, yeah. But he stepped in a creek by accident once!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby has been getting me in the middle of the night to go outside to relieve herself. Do you guys have restrictions on when you give water or treats at night? She doesn't have either when I'm at work - I take her out right when I get home (about 5:30), once at around 8:30 and again right before I go to bed around midnight. She usually poops at 8:30 and in the morning.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Ours very rarely poop out of routine. Let them up at breakfast, poop, eat, laze about. Same when we get home from work and then again before bedtime.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Rory teefs!

Our air conditioning went out today, guess who still found the best seat on the house to stay cool?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Fuzz Feets posted:

Rory teefs!

Our air conditioning went out today, guess who still found the best seat on the house to stay cool?

He's not exactly Francis Drake there, unless her dragged the duvet over himself.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

^^^It's way too square and orderly for that. If that were the case, it would be in a pile and he would be mostly off of it. That is a human-placed blanket.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

In my defense it was nearly 90 degrees in the house and I wanted him to get cool!

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Remy's generally been really good, except for an unfortunately significant issue last weekend: he bit my brother. It was very hot, at one point I used Remy's bed as a pillow and he began licking me repeatedly (something he doesn't generally do, probably likes sweat). Later my brother stopped in, I told him about that and my brother knelt and got close for licks, and got a few. I petted him and he did too. Remy growled, and my brother dismissed this as a satisfied vocalization. I thought that might not be the case, but didn't protest. My brother stood up and Remy repositioned (from a flop to a curl), and looked up. My brother assumed this was a "wait, don't stop", and knelt down to pet him more. After a minute or two though, Remy suddenly began biting/snapping at him repeatedly, getting the top of his head a few times. I grabbed him off, put him in my bathroom, and put the dog gate up. My brother had a handful of small nicks on the top of his head; the biggest was about 1cm - kinda looked like some hair yanking caused it. No major damage, just washed and put antibiotic cream on the wounds, and he's taking a few antibiotics to be on the safe side.

My brother's saying he needs to go to a professional behaviorist, and I should be concerned about him biting a coworker/dog/child. Though a trainer or something is probably a good idea, the only time he's shown any sort of hostility towards people has been on his bed in my room; I don't think there's a perpetual risk. There were definite warning signs, I see it as largely our fault. My brother was way too close his face, and probably made too much eye contact. On my side, I definitely should have sent him away as soon as the growl occurred. I've hinted previously that Remy doesn't like people coming to him when he's on his bed in my room, but I didn't enforce the rule.

Obviously this can't happen again. I'm moving soon, and am thinking of getting him a crate, putting his bed in it, and keeping guests out; to give him a much more defined safe space. He hasn't shown any signs of hostility/defensiveness at work (there were multiple warning signs at home), so I'm not worried about continuing to bring him.

Any thoughts?

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

If it were me, I would definitely get the help of a professional behaviorist. It seems like he's way past just minor resource guarding at this point. :(

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Lhet posted:

My brother's saying he needs to go to a professional behaviorist, and I should be concerned about him biting a coworker/dog/child. Though a trainer or something is probably a good idea, the only time he's shown any sort of hostility towards people has been on his bed in my room; I don't think there's a perpetual risk. There were definite warning signs, I see it as largely our fault. My brother was way too close his face, and probably made too much eye contact. On my side, I definitely should have sent him away as soon as the growl occurred. I've hinted previously that Remy doesn't like people coming to him when he's on his bed in my room, but I didn't enforce the rule.

Obviously this can't happen again. I'm moving soon, and am thinking of getting him a crate, putting his bed in it, and keeping guests out; to give him a much more defined safe space. He hasn't shown any signs of hostility/defensiveness at work (there were multiple warning signs at home), so I'm not worried about continuing to bring him.

Any thoughts?

Honestly? I think you need to seriously consider returning him. It's been a month since you first posted almost the same plan about possibly getting a crate or making his bed a safe space. Every time he practices this behavior it gets more pronounced, and many rescues and shelters will immediately euthanize with even provoked bites to the head/face that break skin. I am not confident that you can control the environment of this dog sufficiently to avoid him injuring someone and getting put down.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Engineer Lenk posted:

Honestly? I think you need to seriously consider returning him. It's been a month since you first posted almost the same plan about possibly getting a crate or making his bed a safe space. Every time he practices this behavior it gets more pronounced, and many rescues and shelters will immediately euthanize with even provoked bites to the head/face that break skin. I am not confident that you can control the environment of this dog sufficiently to avoid him injuring someone and getting put down.

I don't believe this behavior is getting more pronounced; had the setting occurred a month ago, he probably would have done the same, and possibly without growling. As far as addressing the situation: I'm moving in about a week to a new apartment (without roommates), which pretty much eliminates the problem setting. I will be swapping his bed to a crate then, which should define 'his space' in very concrete terms whenever there's company. Does that sound like the correct start given that I don't want to return him?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Lhet posted:

I don't believe this behavior is getting more pronounced; had the setting occurred a month ago, he probably would have done the same, and possibly without growling. As far as addressing the situation: I'm moving in about a week to a new apartment (without roommates), which pretty much eliminates the problem setting. I will be swapping his bed to a crate then, which should define 'his space' in very concrete terms whenever there's company. Does that sound like the correct start given that I don't want to return him?

A month ago your roommate only got snapped at for similar rude behavior.

There's a not-insignificant chance that he might exhibit resource guarding in other locations once you get your own place - it's possible that the presence of roommates kept him from staking a claim in common areas. Because he has escalated to bites that have broken skin, involving a behaviorist is critical.

I would not take him to work (he could be flooded and stressed by the situation without you recognizing it) or have him around children/idiots/anyone else incapable of following a strict directive to leave him alone and not initiate contact. When you have guests over to your house, put him away. These things may become part of your life again, but introducing them in measured controlled steps under the direction of a qualified professional will greatly reduce the chances of his behavior escalating.

Managing a dog who bites isn't easy, and treating it casually can have disastrous effects.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

To clarify, the roommate who was barked at before is my brother; he's only person Remy's acted like this against (sorry if my post was misleading). There may be something else (possible resemblance to former abuser?) other than the location factoring into the incident. Also, another piece to note is that Remy tends to be extremely scared. He attempts to bolt the other direction when buses, trucks, or loud motorcycles pass by on walks.
As far as work, he really does do amazingly well. Despite what the incident may suggest, he's an extremely social dog, and will visit everybody upon arriving, before settling down near a coworker he seems to like. Taking him to the farmers market and greyhound booths has also gone fantastically. He's been very outgoing, and deals with other dogs exceptionally well. Also, pretty much my whole reason for owning a dog is that I can take it to work, so it would be pretty awkward from a life perspective there.
Anyways, I'm trying to use what I know to prevent future incidents without reducing the dog to a responsibility, and I hope that between a trainer and advice, I can get there..

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby woke me up in the middle of the night again, which was strange because there was no reason she'd have to relieve herself at that time. And that's what happened, at 4 am, she walked around and did nothing. I finally took her back inside and was quite frustrated. She whimpered a bit more, I said "No" and she went back to bed. She did her business as normal in the morning. Why would she do this?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Maybe just because it's been working for her?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

slap me silly posted:

Maybe just because it's been working for her?

Well the other times she has actually had to go. So how am I supposed to know if it's a legit emergency or not?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Had to go, or just did because it was convenient? If mine is fussing and I'm pretty sure he doesn't need to go, I ignore him for a bit and see if he settles down. When he really needs out that doesn't work. Also if he's fussing much it usually means he's been bored for a day or two and needs more attention. I have no idea if any of that is relevant to you though.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

slap me silly posted:

Had to go, or just did because it was convenient? If mine is fussing and I'm pretty sure he doesn't need to go, I ignore him for a bit and see if he settles down. When he really needs out that doesn't work. Also if he's fussing much it usually means he's been bored for a day or two and needs more attention. I have no idea if any of that is relevant to you though.

Well I have no idea what her rationale is; it is a dog after all. I usually will say "no" or "lie down" etc., but usually she will keep whimpering until I take her out, since it's impossible to fall back asleep anyway. If I just ignore her the whimpering gets even louder.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Update: She did at at about 2:45 am (I took her out about midnight). I ignored it and after about 20 minutes she finally went back to bed. Nothing on the carpet the next morning.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Sort of a random question but does anybody know what color the lures are that they use to train racing greyhounds?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
From the comics megathread

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

Update: She did at at about 2:45 am (I took her out about midnight). I ignored it and after about 20 minutes she finally went back to bed. Nothing on the carpet the next morning.

Hahaha, what a bitch. Next time it will be 18 minutes and you'll be on the road to glorious sleep.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Aw :3:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Lol investigation cone :3:

Rory would do something similar to Abby in the early mornings for a little while. It wouldn't be, like, midnight, but she'd start whining and pacing an hour or so before her normal wake up time like she needed to go out, and then I'd let her out and all she would want to do is eat grass. After a week or so of this crap I brought her in and did an exam and a fecal float on her. Turns out she had hookworms. :barf: Totally my fault though for letting her Heartgard lapse for a month. After a round of Drontal and getting her back on the dewormer, it hasn't been a problem since.

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 20, 2014

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

slap me silly posted:

Hahaha, what a bitch. Next time it will be 18 minutes and you'll be on the road to glorious sleep.

Nice pun. I had her checkup yesterday and everything was fine, including the fecal.

Chainsaw McGee
Dec 31, 2011

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Nice. Reminded me of this:

from here.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

It's not the best quality, since I had to use my 3DS camera (my phone was in the other room and I didn't want Casey to get up). On the other hand, I now have a 3D photo of my doofy buddy.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

How does Casey still manage to look somewhat dignified despite massive Escaped Tongue Syndrome?

Also, thanks to this thread Tortolia and I both now ask Reese where his noodle whipper is.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Gotta love the adoption groups that are clearly not racing neutral

https://www.grandave.com/sites/default/files/Paws-EventGuide-2014-web.pdf

quote:

Meet and greet Greyhounds from Minnesota Greyhound Rescue
that have been discarded by the dog racing industry.

That's a real great advertisement guys. Who would like to adopt one of our discarded dogs???

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Gently used and irregular dogs for sale.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

actionjackson posted:

Gotta love the adoption groups that are clearly not racing neutral

https://www.grandave.com/sites/default/files/Paws-EventGuide-2014-web.pdf

That's a real great advertisement guys. Who would like to adopt one of our discarded dogs???

I don't know, I think it works okay from a marketing perspective. It's pretty clearly an indictment of the industry that is using up and discarding perfectly good dogs, not of the dogs themselves. And it pulls the heartstrings more than "come see our dogs who have finished their racing careers, and are now moving on to the next exciting chapters of their lives." Also, there are people who want to feel like they're saving abused/neglected animals to feed their savior complex, or who have strong opinions and only want to deal with others who share them, so statements like this are going to appeal to a demographic that other rescues might not reach. I just wonder how they'll keep dogs coming in to the rescue, if the racetracks find out they're being badmouthed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

One thing to say about the tracks; they breed for performance. Not color, shape, BS show standards, etc. It's part of the reason why I can expect a healthy life out of mine and not have to deal with half a lifetime of hip problems.

It's part of the reason I always say I "adopted" my dog instead of "rescue".

It was one thing in the heyday of racing, but tracks and adoption agencies need each other now in a lot of ways. If the tracks all go away, it wouldn't be the end of greyhounds, but it would probably be the end of physically healthy, docile, non-backyard greyhounds.