Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I'm having trouble finding a developer oriented laptop.
Requirements:
  • 14 or 15.6 inch Screen
  • 1920x1080 Resolution
  • 6+ GB RAM
  • SSD Only, No Spindle drive
  • Good Linux Compatibility
  • No Touch Screen

I'm looking to spend around $1000.

There doesn't seem to be much between $600 budget machines and $1500 'gaming' or Ultrabooks. The $1000-$1500 range seems completely barren of options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Get a T440s.

BDPFlow
Jun 1, 2009

Knock, knock.
Hi goons

I'm in desperate need of finally replacing my old clunker, as I'm heading back to school for life as a poor student. Things I'll need to do: programming, general entertainment/browsing, and light gaming. I'm planning on building a cheap desktop at home to achieve the hard stuff, but I'm going to need something mobile for light programming/word processing/netflix.

What's my cheapest option that can handle those things and also isn't a piece of hot garbage?

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

BDPFlow posted:

Hi goons

I'm in desperate need of finally replacing my old clunker, as I'm heading back to school for life as a poor student. Things I'll need to do: programming, general entertainment/browsing, and light gaming. I'm planning on building a cheap desktop at home to achieve the hard stuff, but I'm going to need something mobile for light programming/word processing/netflix.

What's my cheapest option that can handle those things and also isn't a piece of hot garbage?

What is the most your willing to pay for a new laptop? People are going to have a hard time making any recommendations without this information.

Lafarg fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 3, 2014

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014
Alright, so after a bunch of battling with my inner gamer, reason has come out on top. So now I've switched my ideal laptop:

900 dollar max
5-6 hour battery life
4.5 pounds max
13-15 inch screen
Ideally SSHD or SSD
8 GB ram( do I even need this much)
4th gen Intel processor
(Do I need a dedicated graphics card?)
No touch screen(I've already got a nice tablet)

Should I start looking past thinkpads? And are there any other lenovos that should be on my radar. Y series is out.

Edit: phone post did some funky formatting.

Lelorox fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 3, 2014

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

$1500 when configured.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Xae posted:

$1500 when configured.

Buy the RAM and SSD separately. You could also look at the P its usually cheaper than the S

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014
So here's what I'm looking at:

ThinkPad E540
No touch screen
15.6" FHD(1920x1080) AntiGlare - Black (+$110)
Intel Core i5-4200M Processor (3MB Cache, up to 3.10GHz) (+$100)
4GB RAM standard (Will upgrade with crucial, which should cost $40-80 less.)
500 GB HD (Upgrade later if necessary)
16GB Micro SSD (+$40)
No finger scanner (-$20)
6 cell Li-Ion Battery 62WH - 75+ (+$10)

Total: $778.05

I wonder if I should go with the E440 instead or the E545. What do you guys think?

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
My brother is starting college in the fall as an undecided Engineering major. The university says he needs a $2000 i7 laptop. I don't buy that, but I also haven't played with any CAD/design type software in years, and have no idea what an Engineering student would actually need. Does he actually need anything that powerful? If not, any idea of the requirements he would actually need?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I doubt power is going to be the major issue, its more they'd want you to have something that isn't a completely plastic heap of poo poo with an unusable screen.

What model are they recommending?

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I think it was a Dell XPS 15.

BDPFlow
Jun 1, 2009

Knock, knock.

system protocol posted:

What is the most your willing to pay for a new laptop? People are going to have a hard time making any recommendations without this information.
I'm really looking for the cheapest thing that's still got some standard of quality--preferably $200-$300, but certainly no more than $400

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BDPFlow posted:

I'm really looking for the cheapest thing that's still got some standard of quality--preferably $200-$300, but certainly no more than $400

That places you squarely into Chromebook territory, as anything that price running Windows is likely to be hot garbage.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Is $800 too much for a used Lenovo Thinkpad W520 with the following specs? I realize that this model is a couple of years old, but it looks like he upgraded the ram and HD to an SSD. It'll be for my wife who needs something sturdy and well built.

• Intel® Core™ i7-2820QM vPro (2.30-3.20 GHz, 6MB L6, 1600MHz FSB) with vPro
• 15.6 inch Display (1920 x 1080p) (250 NITS)
• 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
• Crucial M4 256 GB SSD Solid State Drive
• 2nd Hard Drive caddy
• NVIDIA Quadro 1000M 2GB Dedicated VideoCard
• Intel 3000 HD Switchable Graphic card
• HD Webcam
• Intel Advance N6205
• 3G Mobile Broadband Connection
• Multi-gesture touchpad pointing device support
• Bluetooth 3.0+ HS
• Fingerprint Reader
• Spill-resistant keyboard and drain
• HDMI supporting 1080p signal format , 2 USB 2.0 , 2 USB 3.0, Multi-Card Reader
• 9-cell Li-ion standard battery pack: Estimated battery life: Up to 4-5 hours
• Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014
BTW anyone checking out Lenovos should look at visa card discounts:
http://usa.visa.com/personal/discounts/index.jsp
up to 25% off certain builds.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Lelorox posted:

So here's what I'm looking at:

ThinkPad E540
No touch screen
15.6" FHD(1920x1080) AntiGlare - Black (+$110)
Intel Core i5-4200M Processor (3MB Cache, up to 3.10GHz) (+$100)
4GB RAM standard (Will upgrade with crucial, which should cost $40-80 less.)
500 GB HD (Upgrade later if necessary)
16GB Micro SSD (+$40)
No finger scanner (-$20)
6 cell Li-Ion Battery 62WH - 75+ (+$10)

Total: $778.05

I wonder if I should go with the E440 instead or the E545. What do you guys think?
I can't compare with the other Thinkpads, but I've got an E540. Screen isn't excellent. It's relatively low contrast and low brightness. I've seen a lot worse too, though. It can feel a bit wobbly. Wouldn't want to transport it in anything but a protective padded bag. The hinges feel like they might be worn out after a year or three of careful use. If you prod the underside, you get creaking plastic noises. Which isn't a problem, I know; it just doesn't give the best impression.

After singing the song of how great the intel 7260ac wifi chip was earlier, I now have a shitload of weird, intermittent slowdowns and connection problems that I haven't pinned down yet, so I take that back. Mostly because my mom has a Sony Vaio Pro 13 with the same wifi chip and the exact same problems that no other wifi device here has ever caused.

It does some good where it counts too though: keyboard is great, touchpad is good. Battery life is decent. Cooling seems to be set up ok without being very noisy. Access to the insides for basic upgrades is good.

I'm glad I got this and it's probably the best and best specced laptop I could have gotten for the price. It's just not completely free of compromises. It works for me because it's likely never to leave the house. If it would, I'd be worried about breaking the screen a lot.

If you were sure you'd upgrade to an SSD within the year, I wouldn't bother with the micro SSD. I'm sure it does neat things to make small things feel a bit snappier, but it's not large enough or smart enough to reduce startup times or anything and $40 saved towards a real SSD goes a long way too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ihatepants posted:

Is $800 too much for a used Lenovo Thinkpad W520 with the following specs? I realize that this model is a couple of years old, but it looks like he upgraded the ram and HD to an SSD. It'll be for my wife who needs something sturdy and well built.

Does she really need a quad-core and 2GB video card? You could save some $ by going with a T520

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

ihatepants posted:

• Crucial M4 256 GB SSD Solid State Drive

Just a note that the Crucial M4 SSDs had some serious issues caused by bad firmware. If you seriously considering it I would ask for more information on the drive. If you just want something well built I would go find a refurbished Thinkpad on the outlet for $600. You will get something newer and the it will have a year warranty.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I recently purchased a Surface Pro 3 and a Gigabyte p35W v2 gaming laptop (i7/870m) in preparation for grad school abroad. My previous 2 laptops were 13" MacBook Airs. Some quick thoughts if you're thinking of buying either:-

Surface Pro 3
  • Switching from OS X to Win 8.1 takes some getting used to, especially with Microsoft presenting somewhat of a mixed metaphor with Metro and the classic desktop running side-by-side
  • The high res screen looks gorgeous compared to the MBA panel. Prefer the MBA's matte screen over the SP3 glossy
  • The keyboard on the Type Cover 3 is competent but the trackpad isn't great
  • Kickstand works well for most use cases (e.g., work desk, cafés etc.) but not for lap use
  • Pleasantly surprised by the battery life since most reviews mention the SP3 having a significantly shorter battery life than MBAs. I'm 8.5 hours into my current cycle with about another hour left on light-medium use(i.e., emails, web browsing, music stream running, working on an Office ppt). Note that I've been using Metro apps where possible as they seem to hit the battery less
  • Fan(s) are inaudible
  • Played around with the stylus and OneNote but haven't really stress tested note-taking. Will get a better sense once school starts

Gigabyte p35W v2
  • Skinny for a gaming laptop but definitely not something I'd want to lug around
  • Gaming performance is great at 1080p. Wolf:NWO, Sleeping Dogs, Deus Ex: HR, Dark Souls run perfectly with "high" settings turned on. Sleeping Dogs runs in the 40-50s on high
  • Always plugged in so haven't really observed battery life
  • Keyboard is ok for gaming but I wouldn't play an FPS on it
  • Fan is loud when gaming but not noticeable through my headphones
  • Screen panel is decent/good. Not as good as the SP3 but likely largely due to the DPI difference

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Xae posted:

$1500 when configured.
I get $984.72 when I take the base config plus the 1920x1080 screen. Upgrading the wireless makes it $1,011.12. Add a 4GB stick of DDR3L from Newegg for ~$40 and an 840 Evo for ~$100.

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

Flipperwaldt posted:

I can't compare with the other Thinkpads, but I've got an E540. Screen isn't excellent. It's relatively low contrast and low brightness. I've seen a lot worse too, though. It can feel a bit wobbly. Wouldn't want to transport it in anything but a protective padded bag. The hinges feel like they might be worn out after a year or three of careful use. If you prod the underside, you get creaking plastic noises. Which isn't a problem, I know; it just doesn't give the best impression.

After singing the song of how great the intel 7260ac wifi chip was earlier, I now have a shitload of weird, intermittent slowdowns and connection problems that I haven't pinned down yet, so I take that back. Mostly because my mom has a Sony Vaio Pro 13 with the same wifi chip and the exact same problems that no other wifi device here has ever caused.

It does some good where it counts too though: keyboard is great, touchpad is good. Battery life is decent. Cooling seems to be set up ok without being very noisy. Access to the insides for basic upgrades is good.

I'm glad I got this and it's probably the best and best specced laptop I could have gotten for the price. It's just not completely free of compromises. It works for me because it's likely never to leave the house. If it would, I'd be worried about breaking the screen a lot.

If you were sure you'd upgrade to an SSD within the year, I wouldn't bother with the micro SSD. I'm sure it does neat things to make small things feel a bit snappier, but it's not large enough or smart enough to reduce startup times or anything and $40 saved towards a real SSD goes a long way too.

Thanks for this. The screen issue is kind of a deal breaker for me. Just got a new kitten and I like to laptop in bed, and I think both of those things combined will lead to the screen breaking within two years if what you're saying is correct.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Posted this a while ago, but I think it went unnoticed.

I'm looking for a computer that I can carry with me on the road and use it to edit 18 megapixel RAW photos on Adobe LightRoom, and also use it to watch movies when connected to my TV via HDMI and stream Steam from my desktop PC. At the most I'd play Age of Empires when I'm on the road.

I am particularly interested in something LIGHT and sturdy; I used to have an Alienware PC, when I didn't have a desktop, and it was a piece of poo poo both in terms of components AND in its construction (hinges died pretty quickly for many people, including me).

I don't need a DVD/BR reader or anything too fancy. I'd like to stay under the €700 mark, but I'm open to suggestions.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Lelorox posted:

Thanks for this. The screen issue is kind of a deal breaker for me. Just got a new kitten and I like to laptop in bed, and I think both of those things combined will lead to the screen breaking within two years if what you're saying is correct.
I'd be hesitant to say "Yes, definitely." and I'm not sure what else in the price range might do better without too many compromises on other fronts, but it definitely would be a worry.

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'd be hesitant to say "Yes, definitely." and I'm not sure what else in the price range might do better without too many compromises on other fronts, but it definitely would be a worry.

I'm looking again at at the y40. It looks like you cant get the y410p on lenovos site anymore.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

I've been seeing this laptop recommended a lot. Are there any good written reviews on this? And the price is supposed to be in the 800s?

Edit: Is the laptop capable enough for Linux VMs also?

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 3, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lelorox posted:

BTW anyone checking out Lenovos should look at visa card discounts:
http://usa.visa.com/personal/discounts/index.jsp
up to 25% off certain builds.

From the few items I checked the Barnes and Noble Gold thing saves you more.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

ihatepants posted:

• Intel® Core™ i7-2820QM vPro (2.30-3.20 GHz, 6MB L6, 1600MHz FSB) with vPro

Those specs are wrong. 8MB of L3 cache, there's no such thing as L6.

ihatepants posted:

• 15.6 inch Display (1920 x 1080p) (250 NITS)

The display is real nice. Top-of-the-line.

ihatepants posted:

• blah blah blah, 16GB of RAM, decent wifi card

The RAM itself is worth $190. Anyway, if it's in reasonable shape, that's a reasonable price. Maybe it's $100 too much or something, I wouldn't know, but spec-wise the only thing newer laptops would get you is better idling battery life and a real tiny CPU bump (at <$1000 prices). And GPU performance, yeah, it falls short of its contemporaries in that, if you want some gaming machine this isn't the best option, but at least it's not integrated.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Dell outlet is doing 30% off until the 7th. Finally got the coupon I was waiting for so I got one of the 15 inch 7000 series with:

i7-4200u
8gb RAM
500gb HD
1920x1080 IPS touchscreen

for 640$ and then I used my 125$ gift card.

Definitely replacing that hard drive in the fall. That's actually the main reason I chose the 15 inch because getting to the HD is very easy compared to the 14.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Good buy. Would personally prefer a beefier CPU in a machine that size and weight but assumming you got the GT750 with DDR5, its a healthy dose of graphics power for not alot of money.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Calidus posted:

Just a note that the Crucial M4 SSDs had some serious issues caused by bad firmware. If you seriously considering it I would ask for more information on the drive. If you just want something well built I would go find a refurbished Thinkpad on the outlet for $600. You will get something newer and the it will have a year warranty.

Thanks. I'm actually not in the US right now so the outlet isn't really an option. I will ask about the hard drive though. What sort of issues did the M4s have? Has the firmware problem been resolved?

shrughes posted:

Those specs are wrong. 8MB of L3 cache, there's no such thing as L6.

The display is real nice. Top-of-the-line.

The RAM itself is worth $190. Anyway, if it's in reasonable shape, that's a reasonable price. Maybe it's $100 too much or something, I wouldn't know, but spec-wise the only thing newer laptops would get you is better idling battery life and a real tiny CPU bump (at <$1000 prices). And GPU performance, yeah, it falls short of its contemporaries in that, if you want some gaming machine this isn't the best option, but at least it's not integrated.

Thank you. Newer models really are marked up a bit over here. The y410p is about $1100 new for example.

Bob Morales posted:

Does she really need a quad-core and 2GB video card? You could save some $ by going with a T520

She wants to be able to play at least some games, like Divinity Original Sin.

EDIT:
There's also a used T530 with the following specs being sold for about $850. Would this be a better deal than the w520?

• Intel 3rd Gen Ivy Bridge Core i7-3610QM Processor 2.30-3.30 GHz 6Mb Cache
• 15.6 FULL HD LED Display (1920x1080 native resolution)
• 8 GB DDR3 1600Mhz
• 640 GB HDD
• Intel 4000 HD Graphics + NVIDIA NVS 5400M 1GB DDR3
• Bluray ROM - DVDRW Super Multi drive
• Bluetooth 4.0+ HS , Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n, 3G WWAN Card (Gobi3000)
• HD webcam
• Backlit spill-resistant keyboard
• 2 USB 2.0 , 2 USB 3.0, Multi-Card Reader, Fingerprint Reader
• Windows 7 64 bit

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 3, 2014

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

Viperix posted:

I think it was a Dell XPS 15.
A lot of schools have deals with Dell and are obsessed with using them. I've found on the lower end, Dells are fairly competitively priced, but on the upper end, the margin is absurd. I don't see why you'd want a touchscreen with a laptop like that, and there are machines out there with the same specs and a better video card for $500 less.

The one nice thing about getting a Dell through the school is that they often have good, fast repair deals with them. This was relevant when my M4400 went through 6 power adapters, a motherboard, and a SSD.

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

Genocyber posted:

From the few items I checked the Barnes and Noble Gold thing saves you more.

Thanks. The program page is all sorts of messed up but I managed to create an account even while it gave me a bunch of errors about how it couldn't recognize the b and n code. Saves me an extra 20 bucks or so.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Imaduck posted:

A lot of schools have deals with Dell and are obsessed with using them. I've found on the lower end, Dells are fairly competitively priced, but on the upper end, the margin is absurd. I don't see why you'd want a touchscreen with a laptop like that, and there are machines out there with the same specs and a better video card for $500 less.

The one nice thing about getting a Dell through the school is that they often have good, fast repair deals with them. This was relevant when my M4400 went through 6 power adapters, a motherboard, and a SSD.

Schools are there to gently caress you out of every goddamn cent you have and that includes laptop 'deals'. That poo poo is there for people with more money than ability to operate Dell's website.

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

go3 posted:

Schools are there to gently caress you out of every goddamn cent you have and that includes laptop 'deals'. That poo poo is there for people with more money than ability to operate Dell's website.

No but seriously, who is the idiot that designed dell's website.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
A coworker got a T440s today and it's pretty nice. I didn't get to check out the screen very much but I can just tell it was an LG screen.

Here's something weird: RPI's laptop program lets you (if you're an incoming RPI student) buy an overpriced T440s with 3x3 Ultimate-N wifi which is certainly not an option available direct from Lenovo: http://dotcio.rpi.edu/services/laptops/ Edit: Actually never mind, their specs are complete horseshit, the T440s doesn't have an ExpressCard slot.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

How about Dell refurbished laptops? I want to get a cheap laptop to watch dvd's on and also surf the web on trips. This one looks pretty good, but it is a refurb. Anyone have good/bad luck with Dell refurbs?

http://www.dfsdirectsales.com/StoreCatalog/ctl641/cp43622/si6590978/cl1/dell_latitude_e6410_4gb_ram_250gb_hdd?offset=0&isLaptop=Y

Dell Latitude E6410 4GB RAM 250GB HDD

Refurbished Dell Latitude E6410
Processor: 1x Core i5 (i5-520M) 2.40 GHz
Memory: 4 GB
HDD: 250 GB
Optical: DVDRW
Video: Nvidia Quadro NVS 3100M

Your Price: $399.00
$359.10

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I have a T440s I'm demoing to people to clients to drag them out of the stone age and it is indeed A Nice Laptop

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like it's from the Stone Age though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Maybe if we dressed it up in some skinny jeans and put some wayfarers on it?

Thinkpads are ironically retro and thus hipster nerd cool. Deal with it :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
My coworker just got one and the trackpad is pretty tragic. It has this strangely large amount of travel and the palm detection is poo poo (at least in Linux). It also seems to have really weird logic about what is a right vs left click (although that may just be me not being used to it).

But you can't disable the trackpad and use the track point, because that also disables the buttons.