Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, I'd definitely say so. I had no idea they were that cheap. Might pick up one myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Questions for the scanner crew, I'm debating on getting a Epson V600 and was wondering two things.

I know this isn't as amazing as the V700 but it is a fuckton cheaper, is it still a decent scanner or is it so terrible that I shouldn't bother?

I can get one on amazon for ~$190 or Freestyle Photo for ~$230 + shipping but it comes with film holders. I have found film holders on other sites but they cost a ton of money for them so the Freestyle sounds like a better deal since i get more, but the amazon I can score free shipping and have more money to spend on film. Assuming I stick with the V600 what would be the better option of the two?

Freestyle Photo V600 with holders
Amazon V600

*Edit*
Just noticed the holders come with the scanner, so guess only question is it worth $190?

I'm scanning with a V600 and betterscanning holders and finding the setup awesome for MF and 35mm. From what I understand, the advantage to the V700 is that it can scan large format negatives and many more 35mm/MF frames at once. If that's not an issue for you, go for it!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I upgraded from a v600 to a v700 a few years ago and the 700 is head and shoulders above the 600.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I finally gooned up and decided to start making inroads on my massive backlog of film (literally years) to scan.

Or rather, I tried to, until I opened the files, looked at all the dust/tiny hairs, and despaired. Dug up my rocket blower and hit the bed with that, then rubbed down the ANR inserts (have the Betterscanning holder for my V750) with a microfiber cloth, and it's better, but still not great. My scanner and the ANR glass still needs some cleaning off (recommendations?), but what techniques/stuff do you all use to cut down on that stuff? I have a graphics tablet + PS to clone out the most egregious crud, but I find it pretty drat tedious and time-consuming, so I want to try and get rid of as much of it at the source as I can.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I finally gooned up and decided to start making inroads on my massive backlog of film (literally years) to scan.

Or rather, I tried to, until I opened the files, looked at all the dust/tiny hairs, and despaired. Dug up my rocket blower and hit the bed with that, then rubbed down the ANR inserts (have the Betterscanning holder for my V750) with a microfiber cloth, and it's better, but still not great. My scanner and the ANR glass still needs some cleaning off (recommendations?), but what techniques/stuff do you all use to cut down on that stuff? I have a graphics tablet + PS to clone out the most egregious crud, but I find it pretty drat tedious and time-consuming, so I want to try and get rid of as much of it at the source as I can.

Canned air on the negatives is stronger than a rocket blower. That should help a bit. The dirty secret is that there really isn't much of a shortcut. It's tiresome but that's what you get for shooting film.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Polaroid's dust and scratch removal PS plugin is pretty nice if you don't feel like hand-cloning out the dust.

http://arthurpolaroid.wordpress.com/2011/02/19/the-little-dots-are-gone-polaroid-dust-scratch-removal-ver-1-0-0-15/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Could you post the direct DL link to the Mac plugin please? Any time I click that it just brings me to a calendar.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Could you post the direct DL link to the Mac plugin please? Any time I click that it just brings me to a calendar.
The link is there, it's the line over the Saved 48 times between June 12, 2002 and August 12, 2013. at the top of the page. Just do a "Save as".

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Some direct DDL links:

http://web.archive.org/web/20020612132140/http://www.polaroid.com/service/software/poladsr/pdsr1_0.exe
http://web.archive.org/web/20050701000000*/http://www.polaroid.com/service/software/poladsr/pdsrmac1_0.sit

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cool, thanks. Got a .sit file, what do I do with this?

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 8, 2014

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Cool, thanks. Got a .sit file, what do I do with this?

That's old school. StuffIt Expander.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, I tried StuffIt and it wouldn't do anything :/

"The Stuffit engine was unable to determine file format"

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 8, 2014

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Whoops. Wrong link for the mac version. :greencube:

http://web.archive.org/web/20051018191907/http://www.polaroid.com/service/software/poladsr/pdsrmac1_0.sit

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

'You can't open the application "%@" because it may be damaged or incomplete"

:gonk:

Maybe it just won't run on a 64-bit OS?

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
It probably is meant for OSX with PowerPC compatibility (Leopard and before I think). Here's the .8bf file which should (maybe) be the standalone file for a Photoshop plugin. http://www.mediafire.com/download/fq7p6yc3cjieb7y/PolaDSR.8bf

I remember getting it to work a while back but that may have been a 32-bit version of Photoshop. My free copy of PS just expired and I'm too lazy to get it up and running again.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Does anyone know what might be the problem if there's a faint orange line running vertically through the image? It seems to be superimposed onto the image because there's still detail within the line.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Could be a hot pixel on the scanner's sensor.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Could be a hot pixel on the scanner's sensor.

After some googling, I have a feeling it might be dust in the calibration area of the scanner, because the line isn't hard edged but wide and soft.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

alkanphel posted:

After some googling, I have a feeling it might be dust in the calibration area of the scanner, because the line isn't hard edged but wide and soft.

What scanner is it? I just had a Epson Expression 1680 do that x 10 here at work. Hard and soft lines of various colors. :/

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Whitezombi posted:

What scanner is it? I just had a Epson Expression 1680 do that x 10 here at work. Hard and soft lines of various colors. :/

It's an Epson V700. It's not consistent tho, just did a bunch of 4x5 scans and the line didn't show up anymore.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I get that sometimes and I just have to wipe the glass near the top of the scanner bed.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

alkanphel posted:

It's an Epson V700. It's not consistent tho, just did a bunch of 4x5 scans and the line didn't show up anymore.

That's how mine started and got worse and nothing fixes it. I hope it was a one time thing.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I get this error now when I try and run a scan on my v500:

"Could not read the ICC profile. Saving image canceled"

Its loving driving me nuts. I've tried uninstalling everything, gone through the library folder in the root directory (on a mac) and deleted anything epson, reinstalling the latest version of epson scan, and nothing, same error.

I remember people having issues after upgrading to Mavericks, and I think this is the issue. There must be some file somewhere that I haven't deleted thats stopping the upgrade of the software from fully working. Anyone got any ideas? Or suggestions on where to look for files to delete?

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Spedman posted:

I get this error now when I try and run a scan on my v500:

"Could not read the ICC profile. Saving image canceled"

Its loving driving me nuts. I've tried uninstalling everything, gone through the library folder in the root directory (on a mac) and deleted anything epson, reinstalling the latest version of epson scan, and nothing, same error.

I remember people having issues after upgrading to Mavericks, and I think this is the issue. There must be some file somewhere that I haven't deleted thats stopping the upgrade of the software from fully working. Anyone got any ideas? Or suggestions on where to look for files to delete?

I mean I'm not using the V500 on my OSX Machine, but since it's bitching about ICC profiles have you tried temporarily removing/disabling it?

System Preferences -> Display -> Color Tab -> (Select another Profile)?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I have a calibrated screen, using a spyder express, and playing with the profile doesn't change the error.

So, after much loving around, in the preference for the output tiff I set it such that the ICC profile wasn't embedded with the image, and everything was happy. No idea why.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I love my Epson 4870 but the holders really suck for excessively curly film. The center of the negatives always dip down and make contact with the flatbed glass, causing distortion, blurry scans, and newton rings.

I don't want to order expensive anti-newton ring glass, so I experimented with taping thin pieces of rigid wire to the holders. I placed them between where each frame would rest. This a quick first "prototype".

1:1 screenshot of a scan (no processing) before:

And after:

It's clear the wire makes a huge difference. I honestly don't know why the holders aren't manufactured with thin pieces of plastic between each frame, since it obviously helps with scan quality so much.

I am going to experiment with other materials, because I don't want bits of wire scratching my flatbed glass or my negatives, but I am not sure what would work.

Any ideas?

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Wood won't scratch glass... You could get something like these and use an exacto knife to cut one into 4 thin strips, maybe?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Why not just press your negatives between something heavy for a few days to remove curl?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I have, some film just resists fully flattening. :(

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

BANME.sh posted:

It's clear the wire makes a huge difference. I honestly don't know why the holders aren't manufactured with thin pieces of plastic between each frame, since it obviously helps with scan quality so much.

Because then they'd have to design an insert or special holder for 645, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, etc.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ZippySLC posted:

Because then they'd have to design an insert or special holder for 645, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, etc.

Well, you could design the edge of the holder with a zipper-like tooth pattern and then just give the user a half dozen loose crossbars that lock into the teeth, so you could move the bars wherever. Or some kind of friction-fit piece that is locked in by the top of the holder. Or non-NR glass like the Betterscanning holder.

At the end of the day it's just not a design priority for scanner companies. Out of all the people who buy the scanner, how many will never scan film in the first place? How many will just scan some old family photos from 35mm negatives a couple times? They don't know whether the film holder sucks or not. Now, how many will scan medium format film, and be technical enough to know that they're getting film bowing? And is pissing off those people worth the cost of giving every single customer a better medium format film holder?

And of course the serious pros are using real film scanners, not a $100 flatbed. Or at the least they're buying the V700 or something.

There's solutions that could be done. But overall it's probably better for Epson just to let that 1% of their user base deal with it than to really solve it. There's still Betterscanning holders if you really want to spend $100 in improvements on a $100 scanner.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 1, 2014

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
My scanner retailed for $499 in 2004 thank you very much :colbert:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Paul MaudDib posted:

And of course the serious pros are using real film scanners, not a $100 flatbed. Or at the least they're buying the V700 or something.

There's solutions that could be done. But overall it's probably better for Epson just to let that 1% of their user base deal with it than to really solve it. There's still Betterscanning holders if you really want to spend $100 in improvements on a $100 scanner.

When I had a V600 and was shooting almost exclusively 120 the betterscanning holder was worth every penny of that extra $100.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I will probably break down and get the new and improved Betterscanning holder once they come out with the dual 35/120 holder.

I scanned two rolls of 120 last night and it was just a pain in the rear end. Thankfully the negs were flat, but it's just a pain getting them into the Epson holder.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I "scanned" some Portra with my dSLR and I'm having a lot of trouble getting the colors to look right. This is the best I could make this photo look:

DSC05506
by LargeHadron, on Flickr

Does it look wrong? Any advice on curves/etc? It seems like each photo behaves wildly differently depending on the lighting conditions.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

LargeHadron posted:

I "scanned" some Portra with my dSLR and I'm having a lot of trouble getting the colors to look right. This is the best I could make this photo look:

DSC05506

Does it look wrong? Any advice on curves/etc? It seems like each photo behaves wildly differently depending on the lighting conditions.

It looks to me like your backlighting has inconsistent color temperature across the frame and might not be full-spectrum. Even aside from that the end result looks a little magenta to me.

Mind posting a small version of the original photo straight out of your DSLR?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Yeah, no problem.

DSC05506-2

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Sell your DSLR and iPad and buy a scanner that won't clip your red channel.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

LargeHadron posted:

Yeah, no problem.

DSC05506-2

Yeah, you definitely shouldn't use an iPad as a backlight. Also, your red channel is clipped.

efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

ansel autisms posted:

Sell your DSLR and iPad and buy a scanner that won't clip your red channel.

I don't think I want to do that. Is there a way to get around this with what I have?

• Locked thread