Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

DustingDuvet posted:

There really is a lot of conflicting advice out there so I can understand how confusing it feels to create a resume. You are at least aware that your resume can be better. I hope this helps.

Thanks so much for this :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I'm finishing up a professional program at NYU here in a few weeks looking to go into a creative/design field and was wondering about how my resume should look. Right now it doesn't look bad at all, but a lot of the people in my program are making theirs pretty spiffy. Googling "design resume" brings back some very nice looking ones but I don't know if they are actually practical. Where would you draw the line with adding extra elements to make it more creative/stand out?

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

yoohoo posted:

I'm finishing up a professional program at NYU here in a few weeks looking to go into a creative/design field and was wondering about how my resume should look. Right now it doesn't look bad at all, but a lot of the people in my program are making theirs pretty spiffy. Googling "design resume" brings back some very nice looking ones but I don't know if they are actually practical. Where would you draw the line with adding extra elements to make it more creative/stand out?

A resume and a portfolio are both just as important to the application process. But they both serve separate but aligned purposes. The portfolio will demonstrate you work while the resume can provide the context for understanding it. Anything more than bold, italics, underlines, and a few different sized fonts is overdoing it and will make the resume hard to read because it will distract from the content. Do you really want to attempt to show off your design skills in a document completely full of text?

Put a link to your portfolio inside the resume (your website or your PDF uploaded to a cloud) and leave it at that.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Is providing your SSN on an application a new thing now? I found two today and one was not optional. Didn't fill out applications there because Holy poo poo No Way In Hell but haven't encountered that much. I understand after a hiring but do companies actually expect you to do that?

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
My younger brother is 21 and is applying for retail, customer service and factory work in Melbourne, Australia. I've been working in education since 2007, so I really have no idea what kind of advice to give him.

He sent me his CV, does anyone have any insight into hiring in these industries? I'll edit his CV so it has no identifying details once I get home.

Komputernauta
May 16, 2006

I had a phone interview and have been invited to fly for an in-person interview. I need some advice about salary negotiations. I gave my CV to an employee of the company at a conference. I also worked with that employee on a project for a bit and it was quite successful. I'm currently a trainee at an organisation they cooperate with a lot. Their HR contacted me and sent me a job description. The salary is not mentioned there, but I found the same position posted somewhere else by an agency, with a salary range of 35000-45000. Not sure how meaningful these numbers are. Maybe they just gave some semi-random numbers to make the recruitment agency happy. I'd take 35000, I'd even go lower than that but ofcourse I'd like more. You can never have enough money.

I was a bit suprised I got this far as I don't have that much experience yet. On the other hand I'm good and I learn quickly and I've been doing some of this stuff as a hobby. Is it a bad idea to initially ask for 40-42k explaining that the costs of living in that area are a bit higher than the rest of the country and that I catch on quickly so it's a good investment. I wouldn't push it too hard but don't want to lowball myself either. Is there a risk of scaring them away if I do this?

According to the confirmation letter I'm meeting with 4 engineers. and no HR people are mentioned there. Not sure what that means when it comes to salary negotiations.

E: Some more things that might be worth mentioning. The 35k low end would be about 20% more take-home than I'm getting right now as a trainee. It's a bit tricky to compare though. I don't have to pay income tax right now. I'd be moving to a different country, but costs of living should be similar.

Not sure if it's a good idea to link the job description. Is it?

Komputernauta fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jun 26, 2014

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Duxwig fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 24, 2019

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

yoohoo posted:

I'm a designer, and what I've been told and experienced is your resume and portfolio must have excellent graphic design and be a cohesive package. If you're applying for a design job and your resume looks like poo poo they're going to throw it away without even reading it. It's the company's first impression of you as a designer, it should make you stand out. Did your design courses not have a madatory portfolio class to do design critiques on your portfolio/resume? If not it should've. There's a creative jobs thread in CC if you want to get some design feedback, might be a little more helpful than here if you're only concerned about looks and not content.

My resume doesn't really have anything "extra" but I do have a pop of color and a slightly untraditional layout but it's still readable for non-designers.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mak0rz posted:

I'm finally getting around to swallowing my pride and applying for retail and food service positions because nobody wants to hire a junior ecologist around here. I'm running into problems providing references. I have worked in that industry before, but my last such job was five years ago and none of the people I worked under are with those stores anymore. All I have left are references from university that can't speak much for anything aside from research and teaching skills. Additionally, I feel incredibly embarrassed using them as references for retail gruntwork after working with them during an M.Sc. in an employable field. :sigh:

Anyone have any input on this?

I redid my resume into a retail/food service one. Killing my degrees and professional work experience left me with pretty much a blank page, so I tossed my retail work from 2009/2010 back on there. That leaves me with a fivefour-year* gap I'd probably have to explain. Will saying "going to and completing grad school for" in response to a question about those years jeopardize my chances of finding work, or will I somehow have to lie about it? :confused:

As for references, I tried getting in contact with the people from those jobs, but both places have completely different staff now. Someone suggested using my landlords as references. Is that a good idea?

* I'm dumb and miscalculated.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 26, 2014

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Duxwig posted:

My interview is tomorrow so I went through and drastically changed my original resume and this is what I came up with.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-7yB-gS1MgQNTRqNjNVNTBPRFk/edit?usp=sharing

Any critiques would be welcome! This is a state agency and a training position. I could have listed half a page of my normal probation/parole agent job duties but decided to focus on my accomplishments and specializations that not many of the other 1,000 of me do. I added the instructor as a 4th reference(left out that page).

Attached is a critique. This needs a ton of work but also reconsider bringing in a new resume tomorrow. They chose to interview based on the resume you previously submitted and the questions they have are likely based on that previous resume. If you do choose to use a new resume, consider providing it in advance by email if you can.

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

DustingDuvet posted:

Attached is a critique. This needs a ton of work but also reconsider bringing in a new resume tomorrow. They chose to interview based on the resume you previously submitted and the questions they have are likely based on that previous resume. If you do choose to use a new resume, consider providing it in advance by email if you can.

I didn't attach my resume to the original post which is fine by the state's standards. They want a copy for sure at the interview which gave me more time to correct it.

Duxwig fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 28, 2014

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I work as a contractor for a company. I originally started doing simple data entry stuff. Inputting items from websites into a database, etc. Paid $12/hour.

However, someone got wind of my ability to do data analysis with Python, and now I've been handed a large responsibility of doing SQL queries with Python, data analysis, regression, and things far beyond the job description of simple data entry. I've been doing this for about 3-4 weeks.

My questions:

1. Data Scientists get paid upwards of 80-146k according to Glassdoor. If I put in 40 hrs a week at this pay rate, I'd be pulling in $23k. They're getting this for a pittance. How do I express this to them?

2. How do I express to them that I'm a contractor who is looking for a full-time job opportunity?

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
Re your first question: I might just keep my head down if I were you. You're getting actual experience doing what you want to do, which will be a huge help when applying for real data science jobs. If you complain about compensation to your current employer you risk losing that opportunity, and based on your previous posts in this thread, I think you really need it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
There's not a chance you're getting 80-146k as a data scientist without significance, demonstrable experience and likely an advanced degree in statistics or computer science. There's a lot more to it that SQL queries and Python, especially being able to handle very large datasets.

You can certainly argue for more than $12 an hour given your current responsibilities (probably $20-25 at most), but don't expect the moon. I think Big City Drinkin' is right that you should use this opportunity to your advantage and gain a bit more experience, and use that to apply to other places. You should feel free to be upfront that you'd be interested in transitioning to a full-time position in that role, but again, don't expect 6 figures.

edit: That came off a little negative. I think your responsibilities have increased and look like they are going to stay that way, you should definitely try to negotiate a pay raise, I really just meant to caution you against coming in there and expecting too much.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 2, 2014

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I want to put my LinkedIn url in my resume. I would prefer to have it in the header if possible, but I'm having trouble making it fit (both aesthetically and with regards to space limitations). Every time I try it just ends up looking messy. I like my header as I have it, so I'm trying to do it without messing things up too much. Can anyone help?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Rd5v3TrgdZdHRtRGYzd2diLXM/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Edit: Oh, if you want to open that up and play around by writing things in, my profile link is the same character length as linkedin.com/in/MakLastname.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 2, 2014

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Header isn't going to look very good unless you move your phone number. You could try putting it just below the header line in a smaller font and see how that looks, but I'd recommend putting it in the footer or towards the bottom of the page in a slightly smaller font than everything else. You could also use a link shortener, although that's probably not necessary.

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!
I applied for a job with a municipality in Oregon, but I live in Florida. Someone from said municipality called me this evening and left a voicemail informing me they want to interview me. Sounds great!

Problem is that it's absolutely not in my budget to spend $600+ to fly across the country for an interview for a job there's no guarantee I'm going to get. In my experience, private firms will reimburse you for travel, but I'm unsure about positions in the public sector. I haven't returned the call yet, partly because it's after 5 out there, but also because I have no idea how to handle this.

Is it inappropriate to ask for a Skype interview? Or to contact HR and say "Hey, I'm really interested in this position but I need you to pay for me to get out there"? Or should I have just never applied in the first place?

GILF Hunter fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 3, 2014

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Xandu posted:

There's not a chance you're getting 80-146k as a data scientist without significance, demonstrable experience and likely an advanced degree in statistics or computer science. There's a lot more to it that SQL queries and Python, especially being able to handle very large datasets.

You can certainly argue for more than $12 an hour given your current responsibilities (probably $20-25 at most), but don't expect the moon. I think Big City Drinkin' is right that you should use this opportunity to your advantage and gain a bit more experience, and use that to apply to other places. You should feel free to be upfront that you'd be interested in transitioning to a full-time position in that role, but again, don't expect 6 figures.

edit: That came off a little negative. I think your responsibilities have increased and look like they are going to stay that way, you should definitely try to negotiate a pay raise, I really just meant to caution you against coming in there and expecting too much.

I took no offense, don't worry.

And, yeah, I'm not expecting that kind of salary. But I still have taken on much more responsibility than a simple data entry position, and I am hoping they can recognize that in some way, hopefully to a full-time job with this company eventually, since they seem to be very pleased with what I'm doing so far.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

GILF Hunter posted:

Or should I have just never applied in the first place?
this one; if you're not willing to pay for travel expenses to interview, don't apply for remote jobs. That said, you can say "I'm currently remote but have been interested in moving to Placename - is there any chance you'd be willing to conduct the first round via Skype or the phone and then I could travel there if I was a finalist?"

But expect them to say no.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I live in Florida also and in April I flew out to Denver at my own cost for a job interview where I didn't get the job. It kind of sucked, but it's so hard to get an interview that if you get one and it's a job you really want, you kind of have to just eat the cost and go for it a lot of times. They actually gave me the choice of Skype or in person, and I chose in person to make a good impression. It didn't pay off... but when you call them back for details they may give you that choice or even mention reimbursement. My current employer is cheap as gently caress and never gives us budget for anything, but they do pay to fly out finalists for interviews.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

A job I'm applying for asks for some references up front with the application, however I'm unsure what to do about some former coworkers who I would use for this. One was a supervisor that I shadowed before eventually taking over for when she left, but she's now off building a house in the mountains or something and not really working so there's nothing current to provide except contact info. The other is in a similar situation; we did research work so he was another supervisor on a separate project up until I took over the first one's position. He ultimately took off across the country to help family out and I do not believe he is currently working.

I don't know how awkward it will be considering the two of them and myself all have the same title at the same company, but I take it that I would want to list their former positions as they were when we worked together? This is not an academic/research job that I am applying to, but should I bother clarifying that they worked on separate studies?

Teeter fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 3, 2014

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Just a small question, due to *~reasons~* my freshman GPA was a 1.7, which drags my total to a 3.2. Is there anyway to indicate that my later years were much higher?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
A 3.2's not terrible, just don't list it on your resume.

I got a uh.... 3.15? and the subject never came up. Even got into grad school.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

TheModernAmerican posted:

Just a small question, due to *~reasons~* my freshman GPA was a 1.7, which drags my total to a 3.2. Is there anyway to indicate that my later years were much higher?

Could you calculate your Major GPA and list that on your resume as well?

FrozenVent is right though, no reason to draw attention to it unless it comes up.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Grad schools care about your undergrad GPA. Employers don't. Fill the space with something else.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

After I got my first "real" job in my field I dropped my GPA from my resume. It's not necessary at this point. Some employers do require a minimum GPA for entry-level jobs but I can't imagine that's a deal breaker if you're within .1-.2 of their target if you meet their other criteria.

Popping back in to give an update on my job hunt: The company I talked to a couple months ago that had invited me to come by and meet everyone but didn't have a job opening at the time had an opening come up. I start next Monday. So no, that wasn't a total waste of time.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I've never heard of a job requiring a GPA besides some entry-level positions and even those have been "3.0 minimum" and nothing else stated.

E: well I guess some tutoring positions have mandated minumum 3.5 or so buuuuut those aren't the same kind of job :v:

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I put my GPAs on my resume for my first two professional jobs. I don't know if it helped, but my GPAs were high and it's really important to prove you're a high performer in my profession when you're just starting out. It certainly didn't hurt me.

I don't think I'll put them on my resume the next time I change jobs, though. But maybe I will. It takes almost no space.

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!

I was told by multiple sources that unless your GPA is outstanding, don't bother listing it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So, here's a question. I applied before to be a teacher trainee under the government's institutes, but got turned down, in part because I think I completely flubbed the interview. I'm now trying to apply as a teacher/tutor at independent facilities, but whenever I get an interview they will ask 'Did you apply for a job at the Ministry of Education?' and I'm basically forced to admit that yes, I did, and yes, I got turned down, and no, they did not give a reason.

Is there a way to handle this question better, because this seems like a huge black mark on every interview I go for.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

So, here's a question. I applied before to be a teacher trainee under the government's institutes, but got turned down, in part because I think I completely flubbed the interview. I'm now trying to apply as a teacher/tutor at independent facilities, but whenever I get an interview they will ask 'Did you apply for a job at the Ministry of Education?' and I'm basically forced to admit that yes, I did, and yes, I got turned down, and no, they did not give a reason.

Is there a way to handle this question better, because this seems like a huge black mark on every interview I go for.

I don't know what country you're in because Ministry of Education is not a US thing. The real question they're asking is "if we searched our internal files what would we find on you".

Having said that I think you're way overthinking it. You weren't the only applicant and you were not "turned down", they went with someone who was better for the position. In this economy in any country incredibly qualified people don't get jobs all the time for various reasons: personal politics, the CEO's son needed that job, maybe your personality just wasn't a fit for office culture, someone else is even MORE qualified, etc. It's not a black mark to not get a job you interviewed for and it's completely silly to think so.

Even if you had a crap interview (which everyone has had) it was a teacher trainee position presumably some time ago. I doubt anyone remembers or cares. It's not like the "have you been convicted of a felony box". Just check the yes box and forget about it.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
All this GPA chat brings me to a question. Someone once told me to use the highest GPA that shows up on my transcript.

Here are the 3 GPA's on my transcript. Could I just use my Comb cum GPA on my resume, or should I just keep the GPA off?

Mostly asking because USAJOBS have a 3.0 cut off for engineering work.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Xeom posted:

All this GPA chat brings me to a question. Someone once told me to use the highest GPA that shows up on my transcript.

Here are the 3 GPA's on my transcript. Could I just use my Comb cum GPA on my resume, or should I just keep the GPA off?

Mostly asking because USAJOBS have a 3.0 cut off for engineering work.

I think it's okay to put that on your resume, after all your combined cumulative GPA includes all of your coursework, I don't see why it'd make sense to include some of it. Most of those jobs will likely require an official transcript for verification at some point, though, so they'll see all your GPAs.

I am a little confused by your image, though. So basically you transferred schools and your GPA dropped from 3.6 to 2.7?

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Xandu posted:

I am a little confused by your image, though. So basically you transferred schools and your GPA dropped from 3.6 to 2.7?

going to GET A LITTLE E/N UP IN HERE.

I basically crumbled socially and that spiraled into my school work. I had no friends, and was no longer living with my family, so I started smoke weed to cope with my stress. I basically became socially isolated and became the stereo typical stoner/gamer/loser. It was possibly the darkest period of my life with me contemplating suicide on a daily basis. I really should have gone to see the school shrinks because they could have swept away all my classes and I could have come back once I was ok again. Things kinda got better in my senior year when I moved in with a newly made friend. She helped me turn a lot of things around. I am in a much better place today thanks to her friendship.

Also I ended up in a terrible lab group during my senior year despite being invited to a group with all 'A' students. Turning that team down is probably one of the stupidest things I have ever done.Had I not rejected the invitation my GPA would be at least 2.9. In fact my professor took me aside and asked me why I hadn't gone with that group, and told me that I had made a huge mistake. The reason I said no is worthy of its own E/N thread.

I don't think I am stupid or lazy, but I have made some really dumb choices in the past 2 years.

radlum
May 13, 2013
So I was checking the website for a Law Firm I want to work in and noticed that they have a "Work with Us" section and a mail for resumes. Is it a good idea to send my resume that way or should I just wait until there's an actual job offer?

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Xandu posted:

I think it's okay to put that on your resume, after all your combined cumulative GPA includes all of your coursework, I don't see why it'd make sense to include some of it. Most of those jobs will likely require an official transcript for verification at some point, though, so they'll see all your GPAs.

Repeat: Employers don't give a poo poo about your undergrad GPA.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

For your first job? Plenty of them do and leaving it off makes people think it's bad.

Obviously once you've got some career experience it's pretty irrelevant.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

radlum posted:

So I was checking the website for a Law Firm I want to work in and noticed that they have a "Work with Us" section and a mail for resumes. Is it a good idea to send my resume that way or should I just wait until there's an actual job offer?

What do you have to lose by sending it in if they have a form to do so? I did that with a company I wanted to work for, the person who filters the resumes got me in touch with the person I'd report to if I was hired and he invited me up to meet everyone back in April and now I'm starting a position with them next Monday. At no point did they have an official opening.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

When I have had multiple positions within the same company, what is the suggested approach for formatting the work experience section of a resume? That is, should I treat each position as unique jobs in the work experience, e.g.:

code:
January 2014 - Present ; Current Job - Company
     description description...
March 2012 - January 2014 ; Previous Position - Same Company
August 2009 - March 2012 ; First Position - Same Company
Or would I just list my current job and discuss the previous positions there, e.g.:

code:
August 2009 - Present ; Current Job - Company
     description... by the way I started here with one job and was promoted twice... description...
Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks!

I feel as though my work experience section is lengthy as it is, so the first option might make it even more so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

If anyone has a little bit of time I would appreciate some feedback on my resume. I am looking to move to the client side of market research and will be applying for two jobs this afternoon. One is for a smaller software company and another is for a giant tech company. Any feedback is appreciated. I know the right alignment is screwed up. I'll fix that in word once I feel everything is solid.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U3Xcu7oYmmFnoqmhevfbKqDsn7M4spDlflLY_29d4iM/pub