Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Local shop is doing a clearance on a GF5 with the 14-42 powerzoom for <£200.

I'm not a huge fan of slow lenses, but as I could ebay the new body for £100+, it seems like a good plan, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

spog posted:

Local shop is doing a clearance on a GF5 with the 14-42 powerzoom for <£200.

I'm not a huge fan of slow lenses, but as I could ebay the new body for £100+, it seems like a good plan, right?

I'm not saying you shouldn't do this but am I the only one who hates powerzoom more than any other thing you could do to a lens? It's great, I can pretend I'm using a tiny point & shoot on the front of my good camera.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

I'm not saying you shouldn't do this but am I the only one who hates powerzoom more than any other thing you could do to a lens? It's great, I can pretend I'm using a tiny point & shoot on the front of my good camera.

It seemed pretty responsive to me when I tried it.

But I fully admit that my judgement may be miscalibrated - owning an S90 will do that for you: by the time the lens zoom starts to respond, I've forgotten what I was taking a photo of.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

spog posted:

It seemed pretty responsive to me when I tried it.

But I fully admit that my judgement may be miscalibrated - owning an S90 will do that for you: by the time the lens zoom starts to respond, I've forgotten what I was taking a photo of.

It's not so much responsiveness as it is "zooming with a tiny little rocker switch as opposed to just cranking on the thing as the Lord Jesus intended."

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Wait, is it just the Sony 16-50mm PZ that lets you crank on the front ring like a real lens then?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Elliotw2 posted:

Wait, is it just the Sony 16-50mm PZ that lets you crank on the front ring like a real lens then?

Even so, if it's not mechanically coupled then ehhhhhh.

I have a feeling I'd love that about as much as I love the focus-by-wire on my 14-42 (spoiler: not very much at all).

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Good news, it has focus by wire too! If you have it in MF or DMF the front ring is focus, and you go back to using the dumb rocker. Also the lens is optically not good.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Elliotw2 posted:

Good news, it has focus by wire too! If you have it in MF or DMF the front ring is focus, and you go back to using the dumb rocker. Also the lens is optically not good.

well gently caress i'm sold

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Elliotw2 posted:

Apparently the image stabilization isn't very good either.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

grack posted:

Apparently the image stabilization isn't very good either.

You two are slagging off the Sony, aren't you?

I am tempted by the Pana 14-42 PZ to make my GF5 a P&S replacement: with the right case, it could fit on my belt. You can't do that with any of the non-collapsing zooms.

Much as I love the primes, I always seem to have the wrong one on my camera at any particular time.

spog fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 30, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The Panasonic one should be fine, so long as you're cool with the rocker/body lever to control the zoom. Failing that, you can sell it to Amazon or whatever for almost the price you're paying for the whole kit.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
If only you could rent a lens before throwing money at it. Someone should make a business that rents camera gear :snoop:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Its not worth the trouble. The main problem is IQ s not as good as the larger normal kit lens.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SoundMonkey posted:

If you go crazy and get an actual modern Nikon PC lens, bear in mind some have electronic apertures that you're never going to be able to control no matter what kind of fancy adapter you have. (As in actually fully electronic, not just lacking an aperture ring).

And they actually have an aperture ring even though it's actuated electronically, so it's be easy to think it'd work when it won't.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

spog posted:

You two are slagging off the Sony, aren't you?

I am tempted by the Pana 14-42 PZ to make my GF5 a P&S replacement: with the right case, it could fit on my belt. You can't do that with any of the non-collapsing zooms.

Much as I love the primes, I always seem to have the wrong one on my camera at any particular time.

Yes and no. The lens focuses fast, has decent center sharpness and is highly compact. Some people value those above edge to edge sharpness and that's fine. Paired with one of the smaller Nex bodies it'll give you very decent IQ in a small package.

I guess I'm just a little spoiled by Fuji because both the 16-50 and 18-55 are excellent lenses.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Nondescript Van posted:

listed as "coming soon" but I'll keep an eye on it, thanks.
Speak of the devil, here it is.

Balqis
Sep 5, 2011

I posted in the gear thread but perhaps y'all can help me out too.

Balqis posted:

So I'll be living in France for about seven months and wanted to replace my ancient point n' shoot with something that could take better photos of architecture and landscapes. Photography was always more of a casual hobby for me but the boyfriend has convinced me to step up my game and so I got a Fujifilm X-E1 - but just the body. Now for the lens!

I've done a bit of research so I know I should be looking for a wide angle lens, and hopefully one I can use for somewhat casual photography as well. I'm not looking to get fantastic shots of cats or friends honestly, although maybe I can get a nice lens in the future for that. I was convinced too, that if I get a converter, I can also get an older manual lens for pretty cheap. A certain amount of ease of use, though, is still kinda important to me because I'm pretty new to all this. Any recommendations?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The 14mm f/2.8

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I'll counter with the Zeiss 12mm f/2.8. Should be plenty on Ebay for people that bought both lenses in the recent sale.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
edit: wrong thread.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Balqis posted:

I posted in the gear thread but perhaps y'all can help me out too.

18-55 2.8-4 kitlens. Its not a typical kit lens. Sure you could get a wide only prime but since you mention you want something for general use as well, the 18-55 will cover that need a lot more than trying to crop a 14mm shot.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The 18-55 is also just a fantastic lens.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Fuji makes it really difficult because the 14 is a great lens, and the 18-55 shouldn't even be called a kit. However, I've started doing landscape shots with the 35mm though, and I don't find it limiting at all. If my mount somehow rusted and I couldn't ever remove it from the body, I'd probably just shrug.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Helicity posted:

Fuji makes it really difficult because the 14 is a great lens, and the 18-55 shouldn't even be called a kit. However, I've started doing landscape shots with the 35mm though, and I don't find it limiting at all. If my mount somehow rusted and I couldn't ever remove it from the body, I'd probably just shrug.

50mm equivalent used to be the standard for a lotta, lotta years before kit zooms became a thing. Overall it's one of the best all-around focal lengths. I have a slight preference to the 35-40mm range nowadays but I have lots of fixed-lens gear with 50mm equivalents and it's very usable.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

18-55 definitely, I love the 35 and I'm not really sure why I bought the 27 but for everyday use and general architecture / landscape shots it's hard to go past the 18-55.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

It should be noted that you can pretty much buy the 18-55 *and* the 35 for the price of the 14 alone.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You can shoot with the 18-55 and stitch up the photos for the superwide panorama scenes. You can do it in Photoshop or do it in body. Its actually every easy to do it in XE1 body.

This is type of panorama shot you can get, keep in mind the resolution is smaller.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tinotino/8913510840/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'd probably get the 23 over the 35 because a 35 equiv is also a very versatile focal length.

But yeah you should just get the 18-55 to start with probably.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
The number of visible seams in that photo (and seemingly in all of the other photos in that album based on the few I checked) are horrible; I would not use that as a selling feature. If those are actually your photos, you should *really* consider investing in a better piece of software, or hell, use Hugin if you don't want to spend any money.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
drat I didn't notice at small scale but that's actually really bad. I'd just use photoshop. I've auto stitched a 30+ image panorama without a single visible seam, even on small and complex geometric details.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I read a thing that olympus is putting out a 300mm prime for MFT next year, but there were basically no details. I was all set on getting the panny 100-300mm zoom, but now I'm thinking I might wait for some details on this new prime and upgrade my GF1 body to the GF7 in the mean time. Anyone heard anything about this olympus telephoto prime?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Linedance posted:

I read a thing that olympus is putting out a 300mm prime for MFT next year, but there were basically no details. I was all set on getting the panny 100-300mm zoom, but now I'm thinking I might wait for some details on this new prime and upgrade my GF1 body to the GF7 in the mean time. Anyone heard anything about this olympus telephoto prime?

I AM SO loving EXCITED :slick:

Basically they're releasing an everything-sealed 300mm f/4 and 7-14mm f/2.8 in 2015 and they're gonna fuckin' own.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I cringe to think what they will cost though.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Looks like a $1600 lens.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DJExile posted:

I AM SO loving EXCITED :slick:

Basically they're releasing an everything-sealed 300mm f/4 and 7-14mm f/2.8 in 2015 and they're gonna fuckin' own.

yeah, that's the thing I read.

RustedChrome posted:

I cringe to think what they will cost though.

yeah, that among many other things were missing from the blurb. Even a rough plus or minus would be nice to know, as well as what quarter they're expecting to release it. I think I might just be better of forgetting about it until the new year.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Looks like a $1600 lens.

if that's true, and if it shoots like a $1600 lens (F5.6 400mm Canon prime for example), I will buy one for sure.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Adorama is selling the Fuji xe1 + 18-55 lens on ebay for 600

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujifilm-X-...fepn=5337259887

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Finally pulled the trigger on the A7S and the 35mm f/2.8. Now I'm looking for an EF-to-FE adapter so I can use my Tokina 11-16 (it's good from about 14-16mm on full frame) and Tamron 28-75 on it. Don't need AF so much as the aperture control so I can use these lenses until proper affordable FE options come out. Meanwhile, I've got my nice OM glass to work with that I've already been using on my 5N, which will now be the backup body.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

There's the Metabones adapter, which gives you electronic control and mediocre autofocus, or you can get a far cheaper one called the Techart, but it only does an APS-C image circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Elliotw2 posted:

There's the Metabones adapter, which gives you electronic control and mediocre autofocus, or you can get a far cheaper one called the Techart, but it only does an APS-C image circle.

Seems like a lot of the cheaper manufacturers are just starting to come out with new versions of their adapters that properly support full frame.