Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

froglet posted:

I think most IT workers hate their jobs after a while. Somewhere around the 3-5 year mark they realise that the nature of their job means it will be a perpetual uphill struggle.

Also, a degree won't necessarily solve all your problems, so don't pin all your hopes on it (unless you're getting knocked back from interviews for that specific reason). I've always had the problem of having a degree but little experience. I still think it's bullshit they advertise for a 'junior' position then knock applicants back due to lack of experience - isn't that the whole point?!

Other than the knowledge I'd get, I don't have much interest in getting a degree. It's too goddamn expensive.

The big regret that I have is burning out because I spent 5.5 years at a toxic workplace (with absolutely insane on-call hours) that wore me down and made me a bitter person with a poor work ethic. I've been kind of recovering, now that I've got an alright job at a low-stress company, but I feel like it set me back in ways that I may not ever be able to recover from. Mentally, that is...

tl;dr: it's hard for me to HTFU now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

CountOfNowhere posted:

The big regret that I have is burning out because I spent 5.5 years at a toxic workplace (with absolutely insane on-call hours) that wore me down and made me a bitter person with a poor work ethic.

Glad to know it's not just me; I'm at the point where I spend more time browsing SA than actually working. I just can't work up the motivation to get anything done (Since I know all the projects are going to die in middle-management hell, and even the quickest of "Hey guys, see below" email requires an hour of justification and explanation).

I don't work for the government, I don't even work for a big company. There's literally five of us. Yet it takes me over a day to get an email out to external people.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Glad to know it's not just me; I'm at the point where I spend more time browsing SA than actually working. I just can't work up the motivation to get anything done (Since I know all the projects are going to die in middle-management hell, and even the quickest of "Hey guys, see below" email requires an hour of justification and explanation).

I don't work for the government, I don't even work for a big company. There's literally five of us. Yet it takes me over a day to get an email out to external people.

I spent a couple years after that toxic job either unemployed (and doing random poo poo for money) and 6 months working a poo poo call center job before my current job found me. Other than not having any money, it was great. Really makes you appreciate what is important.

Not that I *suggest* that, but if you can somehow swing it, it might help improve your perspective.

It's not a permanent fix, tho, I'm starting to feel like I want a break again.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

My finances won't support a period of prolonged voluntary unemployment right now. I could if I was willing to reach into my retirement savings I suppose. Right now I'm applying to everything tangentially related to what I do right now, and I'm hoping that the "Frozenvent is looking for work???" word of mouth will make its way around the industry. I know there are good jobs out there, and I know I'm a good worker.

Otherwise, I'm quitting in a few months and going back to sea for a while. Three months should net me like 15k cash-on-hand, and that's enough to take a break and reassess what I want to do with my life.

I'm also seeing a therapist, although initially it wasn't for work related issues. So you know, rationally, I think I have the situation in hand. Emotionally... Not so much.

Folly
May 26, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

Oh, yup, I can't escape.

I went and got a law degree to try to get out. I even did really well in law school. But the legal economy fell apart and my IT career boomed, so now I'm back in my career. At least the pay and work/life balance are much better now.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
The only downside to moving to sc and working in nc is that I have to drive past a giant inflatable lawn jockey advertising fireworks the second I cross the border.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

How is that in any way not an upside?

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

tuyop posted:

Well :smith:.

What are you planning to do?

Don't know! Luckily I have 18+ months to figure that part out. Once I start the courses I'm sure something will jump out at me.

Though I did just find out the specific degree I am going for doesn't qualify for the TEACH grant. Bah. But I will get a 5% tuition discount.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

spinst posted:

Don't know! Luckily I have 18+ months to figure that part out. Once I start the courses I'm sure something will jump out at me.

Though I did just find out the specific degree I am going for doesn't qualify for the TEACH grant. Bah. But I will get a 5% tuition discount.

Why are you getting the masters anyway?

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

tuyop posted:

Why are you getting the masters anyway?

$$$

I'm almost maxed out on the pay scale for a BA, so if I want to continue to move up I'll need an MA.

https://www.k12.wa.us/safs/PUB/PER/SalAllocSchedule.pdf

Pay Scale for Washington State ^

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

spinst posted:

$$$

I'm almost maxed out on the pay scale for a BA, so if I want to continue to move up I'll need an MA.

https://www.k12.wa.us/safs/PUB/PER/SalAllocSchedule.pdf

Pay Scale for Washington State ^

Jesus christ... your highest pay-scale for a PHD maxes out lower than the 0-year MA salary at my high school, and I graduated in 2001.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sundae posted:

Jesus christ... your highest pay-scale for a PHD maxes out lower than the 0-year MA salary at my high school, and I graduated in 2001.

Yeah, same. Starting with two bachelors degrees my salary is like 72. There is no possible way that I'm more effective than a teacher with a PhD and years of experience, that's just embarrassing for all of us. :psyduck:

Can I donate like a third of my salary to some poor EdD teacher with 20 years in class who makes as much as a sous chef? :ohdear:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

poo poo I made more than that straight out of college with a technical diploma. That payscale is ridiculous.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

The form says "The state schedule determines ALLOCATIONS of state funds. ACTUAL SALARIES ARE DETERMINED IN LOCAL NEGOTIATIONS."

So I'm assuming that means that a fair number of districts have higher teacher salaries due to local contributions.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

pig slut lisa posted:

The form says "The state schedule determines ALLOCATIONS of state funds. ACTUAL SALARIES ARE DETERMINED IN LOCAL NEGOTIATIONS."

So I'm assuming that means that a fair number of districts have higher teacher salaries due to local contributions.

You'd be surprised! Most districts in WA use that pay scale and nothing else. Some even cut it down a little - like cutting out the BA+35 column, so you have to go from +15 to +45.

Some of the Seattle area school districts (Bellevue, for instance) have a very decent increase on the base to help compensate for the ridiculous cost of living.

My school district does have a modest increase, like 3% or something. But they wrangle it in a way so that it doesn't up our hourly wages. It's a supplemental contract.

I make a decent amount extra money (maybe an additional 10% to 15% of my salary) through hourly work outside the school day (mentoring, trainings, IEP writing, etc).

And if the Washington state legislature weren't such d-bags, all of those salaries would be 12% higher. They suspended teacher cost-of-living increases (1.9% a year or something) 6 years ago. Right when I started teaching. :|

You should see how much I pay my unions each month! :smithicide:

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

spinst posted:

You'd be surprised! Most districts in WA use that pay scale and nothing else. Some even cut it down a little - like cutting out the BA+35 column, so you have to go from +15 to +45.

Some of the Seattle area school districts (Bellevue, for instance) have a very decent increase on the base to help compensate for the ridiculous cost of living.

My school district does have a modest increase, like 3% or something. But they wrangle it in a way so that it doesn't up our hourly wages. It's a supplemental contract.

I make a decent amount extra money (maybe an additional 10% to 15% of my salary) through hourly work outside the school day (mentoring, trainings, IEP writing, etc).

And if the Washington state legislature weren't such d-bags, all of those salaries would be 12% higher. They suspended teacher cost-of-living increases (1.9% a year or something) 6 years ago. Right when I started teaching. :|

You should see how much I pay my unions each month! :smithicide:

Have you looked at finding a better paying city/county/state/whatever? Or even just changing jobs?

That payscale is just painful, QA contractors in Seattle make as much as MAs, probably even as much as the PHDs, after union fees are taken out. And the job doesn't even need a BA/BS.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I have always wanted to be a teacher and have never wanted to do anything else...

I could move to the Seattle area, I guess, but I would have to pay at least double in rent what I pay now… I live in a pretty cheap area.

I make enough money to support myself with some to spare for savings, and the benefits are pretty great, so I don't worry too much about it. Now, if I were a single mother…

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Is it me or financial service providers are really pushing YOU MUST KNOW YOUR CREDIT SCORE AT ALL TIMES!!!!! these days? I've been arching a bit too much American cable tv these past few days, and it seems everyone is trying to sell me credit report.

I'm Canadian, so maybe that's why, but I don't know my credit score and I really couldn't care less.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FrozenVent posted:

Is it me or financial service providers are really pushing YOU MUST KNOW YOUR CREDIT SCORE AT ALL TIMES!!!!! these days? I've been arching a bit too much American cable tv these past few days, and it seems everyone is trying to sell me credit report.

I'm Canadian, so maybe that's why, but I don't know my credit score and I really couldn't care less.

It's all free money for them if you view your score through their service, so of course that's a smart thing to push.

Also in America we have a shitload of TV commercials pimping "free credit reports" that are really "whoops - you didn't read the fine print and cancel within 30 days of signing up, we're going to charge your credit card $70 - have a nice day!" scams. My grandparents fell for that, even after I told them what site to go to if they wanted their free annual reports (https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

FrozenVent posted:

I figure the recent obsession has to do with gaming. Both that playing video games in some form has become much more popular thanks to smartphones, and that the generation that grew up in the 8-bit and 16-bit eras are becoming adults now.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Cicero posted:

I figure the recent obsession has to do with gaming. Both that playing video games in some form has become much more popular thanks to smartphones, and that the generation that grew up in the 8-bit and 16-bit eras are becoming adults now.

what :confused:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
People treating their credit scores like the score in a video game. One of the threads here even used to refer to this behavior in its thread title.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Cicero posted:

People treating their credit scores like the score in a video game. One of the threads here even used to refer to this behavior in its thread title.

Yeah we do get it in BFC a lot where some goon will waltz into the newbie thread and be like, "I would like to get those last 5 points on my credit score that I want. And no, not buying a house or borrowing money any time in the next five years, I just hear (some arbitrary value) is a good number to have."

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Mind you the commercials I was referring to imply that you won't be able to buy a house or car, ever, if you don't have the best credit score ever.

And yes, people absolutely drop in the newbie thread and ask how to min/max their credit score. They usually can't tell you why they should even care about it.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Ah, interesting. Thanks for explaining.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I personally hit level 80 a while ago, but you know, keep grinding and you'll get there eventually

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I recently sperged out about my credit score and passed level 25 (this is a big deal for me because I have a life), but all my friends are under level 15 so we can't play together anymore.

Is there a way to lower your credit score? I just want to hang out with my friends and get some loans!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Oh goodness I start my new job in three hours.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Oh goodness I start my new job in three hours.

I'm working for a summer camp and the kids arrive in three hours. :ohdear:

What if I'm not good with kids??

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

tuyop posted:

I'm working for a summer camp and the kids arrive in three hours. :ohdear:

What if I'm not good with kids??

They're just like soldiers except their hearing isn't as developed, so you have to talk louder. You'll be fine.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I didn't bring lunch today :( But at least the total cost for a 3 day vacation was <$80 and we received a large cooler of food to take home too! And foods for lunches the rest of the week even, I just didn't have time to assemble last night or this morning being we got home so late and I need mah sleeps.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
I'm beginning to fully embrace a frugal lifestyle. As such, I've made some changes.

I am now biking to work, and anywhere I can. At minimum this will save me $78 per month (bus pass), but I figure I'll also be cutting down my bullshit driving levels by $50 per month.

I've switched to eating a peanut butter sandwich and half a banana for lunch at work (the other half gets eaten at breakfast) instead of pasta or stir fry leftovers. At a savings of roughly $3 per lunch, this will save me around $66 per month.

Add these together and you have $194 per month, or $33,578.45 over ten years, annualized at 7%.

I may miss my over-indulged lunches, but my peanut butter sandwiches taste like freedom.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I've switched to eating a peanut butter sandwich and half a banana for lunch at work (the other half gets eaten at breakfast) instead of pasta or stir fry leftovers. At a savings of roughly $3 per lunch, this will save me around $66 per month.

You're switching from a potentially much more nutritionally balanced lunch to a fat/carb heavy one. I doubt you'll be saving $3 a lunch, unless for some reason fresh vegetables are grossly overpriced where you live.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Rurutia posted:

You're switching from a potentially much more nutritionally balanced lunch to a fat/carb heavy one. I doubt you'll be saving $3 a lunch, unless for some reason fresh vegetables are grossly overpriced where you live.

Factoring in the chicken, rice, vegetables and sauce, it's usually around $4 per meal for the stir fry I make. I'm in Canada. If I switched to a veggie-only stir fry, it'd probably be about half the cost, but I have my limits.

If I eat that stir fry for supper instead, I think I'll be getting enough nutrition. I eat an apple and almonds for morning/afternoon snacks at work as well.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Factoring in the chicken, rice, vegetables and sauce, it's usually around $4 per meal for the stir fry I make. I'm in Canada. If I switched to a veggie-only stir fry, it'd probably be about half the cost, but I have my limits.

If I eat that stir fry for supper instead, I think I'll be getting enough nutrition. I eat an apple and almonds for morning/afternoon snacks at work as well.

Cost of food is kinda my thing. Would you mind passing me the recipe for that Stir Fry?

Stir fry for roughly 600 calories, off the top of my head would cost less than $1.50 Maybe $2.50 for beef or $2 for pork?
1-2 cups cooked Rice $0.10 - $0.20
2 Tbsp Oil $0.25
1/4 tsp sesame oil ?? (pennies)
soy sauce or salt (less than pennies)
1 egg $0.25 (optional)
3-6 oz Peppers,onions,broccoli $0.20 - $0.40
5 oz Chicken thighs $0.40 (preferably leftovers)

I know food is cheap where I live. So I'm curious if the extra cost is coming from the recipe or the price of ingredients.

Folly fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 7, 2014

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

As I mentioned earlier, I am pretty sure I burned out and haven't really recovered.

The workload at my current job has increased dramatically and I am starting to feel that familiar feeling of anxiety, and am wondering if people have any tips for coping. It's worse this time around because the work is far less interesting than before - it's hard for me to stay focused.

Best case scenario (if I keep studying and pass my CCNA) I can YOTJ in 3 or 4 months, but that's a long shot that's only getting longer the more downtrodden I feel.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Lately I've had to go to work really early, which is really challenging in that I find myself extremely tired towards the tail end of the week because I'm waking during what feels like the middle of the night (it's winter here in Australia). I've sort of given up on bringing my own lunches every day of the week, so instead I've been making sure I don't buy coffees or snacks out by bringing my own.

Yeah, probably not the most BFC option but it's better than just saying 'stuff it' and eating out every day.

Oblivion590
Nov 23, 2010

froglet posted:

Lately I've had to go to work really early, which is really challenging in that I find myself extremely tired towards the tail end of the week because I'm waking during what feels like the middle of the night (it's winter here in Australia). I've sort of given up on bringing my own lunches every day of the week, so instead I've been making sure I don't buy coffees or snacks out by bringing my own.

Yeah, probably not the most BFC option but it's better than just saying 'stuff it' and eating out every day.

Do you normally make your lunch for the day in the morning? It might be easier to keep the habit later in the week if you make your lunch before bed the night before. That way, if you wake up late, you don't have to stress about the time spent making a lunch.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Husband found new work as well, which means we went from both collecting unemployment for a few months there, to about three times that amount. We cut down our expenses a little while unemployed, but it was mostly just collating bills and streamlining, not sacrificing anything, so we plan to stick to that level of spending, and put all the extra earning into the house. We can pay it off in under a year, and be mortgage free before 34.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Got a new job! Job with the state, slightly better pay (~6% raise) but way more stability and out of the dead end admin monkey path I was in. Instead of hedging around telling people what I do to avoid using dumb jargon and bullshit, I can now say just say that I determine if people are eligible for state disability benefits or not. Boom.

Still no free parking though. Will continue living the bus life...sigh.