Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Smythe posted:

if you send me a minidv tape ill dub a copy off for you and mail it back. please provide postage or just toss a couple bucks in there and ill take care of it.

could u also mail me some pizza rolls tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Smythe posted:

if you send me a minidv tape ill dub a copy off for you and mail it back. please provide postage or just toss a couple bucks in there and ill take care of it.

Do you do international delivery? I'm in Sweden.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Syncopated posted:

if you pay the right shipping, sure. pm me for zipcode xchange

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

could u also mail me some pizza rolls tia

sorry i dont consume nor purchase products contain the deadly poisons lactose or gluten.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

google head of design of PR division that doesnt ship products leaves the company for capital one

http://9to5google.com/2014/07/02/google-design-head-leaving-mountain-view-for-new-gig-at-capital-one/

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
did cremnob's title always read apple stymie

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

api call girl posted:

did cremnob's title always read apple stymie

no

this has been going around a lot

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

computer parts posted:

no

this has been going around a lot

i'm a terrible stymie fishmech :negative:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

they have to be on their toes so they can quickly followup beats by tim with a half finished app that will replace google music (or whatever its called now) to everyone that uses the service's annoyance.

they'll launch a music service that is somehow even more of a MOG ripoff than beats music was, despite not aquiring MOG. all previous music drm obligations will be terminated.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
their 14.5 customers will be furious.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

cremnob posted:

google head of design of PR division that doesnt ship products leaves the company for capital one

http://9to5google.com/2014/07/02/google-design-head-leaving-mountain-view-for-new-gig-at-capital-one/
did he oversee the design of the mickey mouse car

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

what's in your wallet

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

cremnob posted:

reuters writes a post about how driverless cars are a PR stunt cause the only way its gonna make money is if

a. google gets into the high capex business of car manufacturing lol
b. licenses the tech to car companies (but they wont cause they're working on the tech themselves so they won't pay the google tax)

quote:

Self-driving cars can free people to do more of the things that earn Google money, such as Web search. But Urmson said Google is still figuring out how to make a profit from the technology.

lmao

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

OH NO

can't google for things because your pesky steering wheel is in the way

"I can't search for anything while watching out for all those pedestrians"

THERE'S GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

flakeloaf posted:

OH NO

the better way is obviously to hire a chauffeur

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

OH NO

google apologists actually believe this is the strategy for driver-less cars

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Syncopated posted:

please don't entrap Smythe

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

with driverless cars the entire inside and outside of the car can be ads
also the road surface
and your glasses, watch, phone, and heart

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

watch this 30 second ad to continue having a heartbeat

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

google's driverless car initiative scares me precisely because defenders of it argue against having any way for a human to take control of the vehicle

i'm like

dudes

have you never used a google product?

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the chances of it ever being a real business and a success are slim. its a jobs program designed to stem the bleeding to other companies and for the industry to perceive them as innovative when they would otherwise be thought of as another yahoo or microsoft

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

duTrieux. posted:

google's driverless car initiative scares me precisely because defenders of it argue against having any way for a human to take control of the vehicle

i'm like

dudes

Funny how that is pretty much the automakers' concern as well. computer assisted cars are a great idea but there is a huge line between lane departure warnings and no steering wheel.

i wonder if they will give the car a eula

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

marijuana odour detected

now proceeding to police station

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

who was it who said that thing about the car's design and manufacture being fobbed off to some dude in his garage because google didn't actually give a poo poo about anything other than the "engineering challenge" (of taking photos of every square inch and then setting the environment in advance)

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

duTrieux. posted:

i'm like

dudes

apple used to do this garbage too before stebe came back and killed it because he rightly knew that it was a distraction. r&d at apple is focused like the rest of the company and they all row in the same direction

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Technology_Group_%28Apple%29

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

marijuana odour detected

now proceeding to police station

nah, just adb the WA-COLO patch up to the kernal. you'll have to root your car, first. maybe install a new launcher! oh boy oh golly

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

cremnob posted:

apple used to do this garbage too before stebe came back and killed it because he rightly knew that it was a distraction. r&d at apple is focused like the rest of the company and they all row in the same direction

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Technology_Group_%28Apple%29

i'm not against moonshot-style research initiatives, it's just that if those initiatives don't actually bother to take into account the real world then it's just sci-fi wankery

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google wants cars as a service. you won't own a car, you'll contact google to send one to pick you up. this way they know where you are going at any time. once they have that in place they will use an advertisement-based algorithm to suggest and take you places. want to go to the supermarket? that will be the normal google car fee, or you can go to this other one for free.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I.e. google is not interested in making cars that people want, they are interested in devaluing cars entirely and moving the value proposition to the driving software that they control.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i want my driverless car to drop me off at the restaurant and then just circle the block until i'm done eating so that i don't hafta park

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

Funny how that is pretty much the automakers' concern as well. computer assisted cars are a great idea but there is a huge line between lane departure warnings and no steering wheel.

i wonder if they will give the car a eula

when did they make that leap, anyway? the early articles mentioned that you could totally hit the brakes if your car started gunning it for a crosswalk or something.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

hey look five icons about to disappear

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PleasureKevin posted:

what's in your wallet

what's in your google wallet

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

theflyingexecutive posted:

hey look five icons about to disappear

five in 3 months, six in a year

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The Management posted:

devaluing cars entirely

a good idea

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ill never buy a driverless car because its basically just a segway for ultra-nerds like woz to pretend they live in a 1980s-style tech utopia

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

ill never buy a driverless car because its basically just a segway for ultra-nerds like woz to pretend they live in a 1980s-style tech utopia

I don't think the cars are meant for ppl to buy. Like, Google, a taxi company, or your municipality buy the cars and you use them as a service.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

maybe they can invent a really long car that can hold many people, then they can drive it around at set times when people are likely to want to get to places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

maybe they can invent a really long car that can hold many people, then they can drive it around at set times when people are likely to want to get to places

This long car is long but it has poor ppl inside of it

• Locked thread