Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulla
May 10, 2008

Gimmick Account posted:

Apparently a 'very big expansion' for Crusader Kings 2 is already being worked on and will be officially presented at Gamescom in August.

Here is the page with the relevant post by Johan.

Any guesses? Maybe they're finally doing the adventurer/mercenary DLC that I've been hoping for so long... :shobon:

Hopefully it's a great migrations period DLC :v:

With a fully fleshed out north africa and extra garamantian beads, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

double nine posted:

I hope they never do a naval warfare expansion. The way it works in other paradox titles just doesn't fit the time period.

The lack of it is even worse and it really doesn't have to work the same way.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sulla posted:

Hopefully it's a great migrations period DLC :v:

With a fully fleshed out north africa and extra garamantian beads, of course.

Better migration mechanics would actually be pretty neat, if only for hordes. You're talking about Germanic migrations though arent you? I also think it would be neat if around the edge of the map (anywhere the traversable map ends but its not the edge) there were single holding counties that had a special holding type that spawn raiders or something and have high attrition so you can try to conquer nearby ones but its hard. Probably a bad idea overall but I am weird :shrug:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Announcing our latest DLC: "Peasants & Pikemen". Now you have the ability to play as unlanded lowborn characters! Plot to kill a fellow courtier, or lead a peasant uprising in circles before getting crushed!

Yeah, I was thinking more of an adventure type mechanic, where after you lose your last holding you end up in some random noble's court, and get to work on raising an adventurer army to get get new land.

Sulla
May 10, 2008

Bort Bortles posted:

Better migration mechanics would actually be pretty neat, if only for hordes. You're talking about Germanic migrations though arent you? I also think it would be neat if around the edge of the map (anywhere the traversable map ends but its not the edge) there were single holding counties that had a special holding type that spawn raiders or something and have high attrition so you can try to conquer nearby ones but its hard. Probably a bad idea overall but I am weird :shrug:

Pretty good idea, though they wouldn't even need to stretch the existing mechanics that much to make it work, really.

- Mongol and Seljuk-like mechanics for off-map invasions (Alans, Serbs, Arabs)
- Hungarian-like invasion CBs for german tribes (though this would maybe have to be made more dynamic, or they could port the native migration ability over from EUIV)
- Viking-type raiding that goes away once a civ "reforms" (settles down).

I mean, most of the good stuff is already there, they'd basically just have to move the start date back another 400 years.

Edit: And add another 200 desert oasis provinces in Africa.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sulla posted:

Pretty good idea, though they wouldn't even need to stretch the existing mechanics that much to make it work, really.

- Mongol and Seljuk-like mechanics for off-map invasions (Alans, Serbs, Arabs)
- Hungarian-like invasion CBs for german tribes (though this would maybe have to be made more dynamic, or they could port the native migration ability over from EUIV)
- Viking-type raiding that goes away once a civ "reforms" (settles down).

I mean, most of the good stuff is already there, they'd basically just have to move the start date back another 400 years.

This all makes sense, yeah.

Sulla posted:

Edit: And add another 200 desert oasis provinces in Africa.

:iamafag:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Upgraded Windows to 64-bit and now CK launcher won't even load. Anyone else had a similar issue and know how to fix it?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Last night I felt with a faction revolt for the first time. One of my vassals ended up demanding terms. I refused and he declared war. I raised my levy but I could not march them into the county he was revolting from. I'm sure there is some game mechanic reason why this was happening, can anyone enlighten me?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Can you game gavelkind by giving stuff to your primary heir ahead of time? The only things I'm eligible to give him are a few baronies and like one county, so I'm guessing it doesn't let you give him stuff that a brother is supposed to inherit.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Parallax Scroll posted:

Can you game gavelkind by giving stuff to your primary heir ahead of time? The only things I'm eligible to give him are a few baronies and like one county, so I'm guessing it doesn't let you give him stuff that a brother is supposed to inherit.

Yeah, you can't game it that way. If you won't kill your sons the best way to work with it, IMO, is to give each other son a conquered duchy. Unless you have more than one kingdom title (or empire) this should stop them from getting anything else.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Tsyni posted:

Yeah, you can't game it that way. If you won't kill your sons the best way to work with it, IMO, is to give each other son a conquered duchy. Unless you have more than one kingdom title this should stop them from getting anything else.

I have an emperor title and no kingdoms (those are all held by vassals already). Mainly I'd like to hold on to my capital and some of my demesne, but I can always take the important stuff back later if someone else inherits it.

Edit: I've already got kinslayer so I guess I may as well start offing people before I die. Dude is already in his 60s and infirm.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 3, 2014

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I hope the next DLC is all about improving and adding variety to intrigue, factions and character relations, is what this game needs more.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Getting a version of Wiz's CK2+ faction changes integrated directly into the game would be The Best Thing.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Parallax Scroll posted:

I have an emperor title and no kingdoms (those are all held by vassals already). Mainly I'd like to hold on to my capital and some of my demesne, but I can always take the important stuff back later if someone else inherits it.

Edit: I've already got kinslayer so I guess I may as well start offing people before I die. Dude is already in his 60s and infirm.

I make it so that any son other than the oldest is eligible to be my heir, give him all the best stuff, and then murder the older sons (or send them to the church if you're the right religion) until he's the heir.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Pester posted:

I make it so that any son other than the oldest is eligible to be my heir, give him all the best stuff, and then murder the older sons (or send them to the church if you're the right religion) until he's the heir.

I want my eldest son to inherit, he has the best stats. So the only reason to kill his younger brothers is to keep them from getting a piece of the empire. I'm reformed Norse so I don't think the church thing works.

Are you saying there's less restriction on what titles you can give to a non-primary heir? That's an interesting way to get around it.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 3, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Elias_Maluco posted:

I hope the next DLC is all about improving and adding variety to intrigue, factions and character relations, is what this game needs more.

Speaking seriously, yeah, this is what I've been begging for for a while now! A whole "spy network", led by your spymaster -- your own web of intrigue and "Little Birds"-- would be lovely. Maybe some control over your ability to diplo-assassinate people, a way to capture and hold hostages, framing other rulers and other insidious plots! Counter-spies, saboteurs, economic sabotage or perhaps the ability to see your opponent's troop movements.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jedit posted:

Upgraded Windows to 64-bit and now CK launcher won't even load. Anyone else had a similar issue and know how to fix it?

I don't know if the new launcher is using .net, but a pretty common problem is missing .net versions.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Announcing our latest DLC: "Peasants & Pikemen". Now you have the ability to play as unlanded lowborn characters! Plot to kill a fellow courtier, or lead a peasant uprising in circles before getting crushed!
Something to do with the peasantry would be nice, though. Maybe that could be tied in with inland republics somehow?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Parallax Scroll posted:

Are you saying there's less restriction on what titles you can give to a non-primary heir? That's an interesting way to get around it.

I think you can give just about anything except your primary title/capitol to your junior sons. As a Norse I always "game the system" by conquering foreign duchies for each secondary son as they come of age for their 16th birthday. I have found that even if you are personally holding seven counties and two duchies if you give each non-heir three counties and a duchy, they dont take anything from that seven counties and two duchies.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I just realized now after about a century of voting against Swedish crown authority increases that I should have voted for them and it would make my life a lot easier now that I have taken the crown of Sweden SVIDBBDKJJKOD for myself, especially since my new vassals are a bunch of Catholics who are rightly afraid I am going to redistribute their poo poo.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I'm hoping for playable theocracies (barring the Papacy, obviously.) It could be a lot of fun to play as the Knights Templar (or whatever) Grandmaster, picking your successor, trying to convince unlanded Catholic nobles to join your order, maintaining your retinue and hiring your forces out to fight heathens, etc. They could adapt the republic manor mechanics to pimp out your fortress-monastery.

A minor DLC I'd like to see is adding a few more crowns to pick from. The current Emperor-level crown looks kinda lame and covers up most of the hairstyles.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I would not want to see the game attempt to address migrations, because I fail to see any way that it could be incorporated into the existing game without needing an absolute rebalance of nearly every single mechanic.

As it is, CK2 does not actually address population count in any way. It approximates this, somewhat, through county holding limits and starting buildings. Levies are a function of buildings and martial score, both of which would need to be rebalanced if there is now a population count to consider.

The core gameplay mechanics of CK2 are rigid and formalized, the epitome of this being the de jure system. Furthermore, CK2 is almost entirely the story of nobility, with the common people only factoring in via events and random rebellions. A migration system would not play well with either of these concepts, both of which are absolutely fundamental to CK2 as a game.

And let's get back to the idea that CK2 is the story of aristocratic intrigue: what would migrations meaningfully add to this, besides flavour? You could potentially have greater variety between games, sure, but what you're more likely to get is a handful of scenarios that play out 85% of the time.

To me, adding migration to CK2 just feels like trying to insert a square mechanic into a round game.

(For what I would like to see, definitely an overhaul of the faction system. Make that more connected to the game's other systems, and I'm in heaven.)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'd like a dlc that fleshes out empires more in terms of internal dynamics/politics. Both the Byzanthine and holy roman empire don't really feel like proper empires with a unique feel. They're just upscaled kingdoms.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

A population system would be good, especially for migrations, and making plagues and long bloody wars more meaningful in the long term. And make provinces changing culture/religion work in a more realistic way, so you could have cultural and religious minorities left behind when a province flips.

But yeah probably too big a change for CK2 DLC, maybe it's something that could be added in CK3. It's true that CK2 is mostly disconnected with the concerns of the population.

As for this new DLC, well I'd love another map expansion but I guess maybe RoI might be pushing the limits performance wise for a lot of people.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

My dream expansion would unfuck rebels/adventurers and add more plots and relationship type stuff to the game. I'm hoping that the latter at least has been hinted by the relations menu added in RoI. As for the former, does anyone with modding experience have an idea of where I would need to go to simply delete events governing the random spawning of rebel troops? I'm pretty much fed up and done with the fact that any start outside of Christian Europe is forced to deal with whack-a-rebel two to three times every year.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

And your post just made me think that another use of a population system would be to make revolting peasants and other event troops spawn in a somewhat sensible way.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

marktheando posted:

A population system would be good, especially for migrations, and making plagues and long bloody wars more meaningful in the long term. And make provinces changing culture/religion work in a more realistic way, so you could have cultural and religious minorities left behind when a province flips.

marktheando posted:

And your post just made me think that another use of a population system would be to make revolting peasants and other event troops spawn in a somewhat sensible way.

I can agree with you that a population system and migrations could enrich some areas of the game, but I still feel like you can't get around the fact that most of the areas it can enrich are largely secondary or tertiary gameplay mechanics (revolts, event troops, and plagues), and it would affect a major aspect of gameplay (levy size) in a way that the player has no means to control.

And honestly, I really don't mind that CK2 is a game about the aristocracy. That's kinda what it is, and adding population mechanics would only be a distraction from the real meat and potatoes of the game. This isn't like EU4 where an increase in scope re: internal management could be a good thing; because EU4 is a bit lacking in some ways that more internal management could help. CK2 doesn't really hurt for lack of a population mechanic, it would just be a neat thing to add.

Sulla
May 10, 2008

DStecks posted:

I would not want to see the game attempt to address migrations, because I fail to see any way that it could be incorporated into the existing game without needing an absolute rebalance of nearly every single mechanic.

Why would it need to interfere with existing mechanics? If, for example, we were talking about a new set of CBs, couldn't they be tied to a specific culture or religious group that's only present in the Late Antiquity scenario?

DStecks posted:

As it is, CK2 does not actually address population count in any way. It approximates this, somewhat, through county holding limits and starting buildings. Levies are a function of buildings and martial score, both of which would need to be rebalanced if there is now a population count to consider.

The core gameplay mechanics of CK2 are rigid and formalized, the epitome of this being the de jure system. Furthermore, CK2 is almost entirely the story of nobility, with the common people only factoring in via events and random rebellions. A migration system would not play well with either of these concepts, both of which are absolutely fundamental to CK2 as a game.

And let's get back to the idea that CK2 is the story of aristocratic intrigue: what would migrations meaningfully add to this, besides flavour? You could potentially have greater variety between games, sure, but what you're more likely to get is a handful of scenarios that play out 85% of the time.

One of the interesting things about the late 4th and 5th centuries is the fact that a lot of these migrations were a result of factors not related at all to population. Think of Aetius running around in the 430's playing one tribe against another, or Boniface inviting the Vandals over to North Africa. The tribes in this sense would be just another tool a ruler could use against his rivals. I think this is would tie in perfectly into the intrigue side of the game.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

SeaTard posted:

I don't know if the new launcher is using .net, but a pretty common problem is missing .net versions.

The launcher works on Linux, and I don't see any trace of Mono, so I'm guessing it's not that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I still have no idea what I'm going to do, but this is what things look like in Sicily right now:

I think the king of Sicily is stuck on Malta, while his vassals on the boot are rebelling.

Also, I took a look further south and...

All the AI.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's probably not additional map additions, they've settled east and west Africa nicely now, and the steppes and India have rounded out that end well. Every religion is represented, so my guess is stuff for theocracies, inland republics, or landless characters.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Newest patch, Venice, 1066 start date. Anyone know why the other patrician families aren't building new trade posts. I've upgraded trade practices technology once and there is now no malus. They have money and capacity but they are all sitting at the 1 trade post they start with. It's been at least 50 years. I have 12 trade posts. Anything I can do to help them along? I want the 80 trade posts achievement.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Finally got the caliphate strikes back cheevo. Celebrated by jihading Anatolia in 9 months:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Does the game get slower the longer it's been running (in game time)? My game is crawling along now, stuttering between days.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yes, because there are many more characters, relationships between characters, and events for characters as the game goes on.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is there anything I can do about it? My game's basically unplayable at this stage.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Kill Everyone

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Invest in a beefier CPU? :v: (Like you'd run into a CPU-bound game in this day and age! - Hardware goons)

Alternatively there used to be something you could do about clearing out the history files, but I'm not sure if that works for CK2, or how well it would work.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In terms of 'very big' expansions I would guess/hope for a Dark Ages one. Or maybe they're going back and adding in all the history between 867 and 1066 so that you can start between those two years. Or adding China, who knows.

I would love to see a 'friends and rivals' DLC at some point, which could seriously flesh out these two concepts and make them more than they are now. As it is, like one in ten characters has any friends at all and they're usually some one-holding bishop who donates 100 troops to you once in a while to fight a war, while your rival doesn't mean anything other than just being someone who doesn't like you much and who you plot to kill. It could be so much more. Really, every single character should have several friends, and most rulers should have a few rivals, and they should play heavily into factions, intrigue, and so on. You could work this into the much-requested expansion of faction and intrigue options as well. It would add a ton of flavour to the game in between wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I would worry that simulating friends and rivals for every character in the game through anything more than an opinion modifier would bring many players computers to a grinding halt.

• Locked thread