Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Konjuro posted:

I let perktv run on my Nexus 7 for 16 hours yesterday, and it used about 2.6GB of data. Based on that, 5 devices running 24/7 for a month would use around 546GB. I hope any of you planning to try this don't have a data cap.

There's a low bandwidth setting. Also I'm not doing this on cell data, and my home internet connection does not have a data cap. At this point, I'm up enough where if was shut down I'd shrug, put the phones on ebay and wash them out for what I paid for them, no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

api call girl posted:

Try this one weird simple trick some nerd found to enable "Ok Google" ANYWHERE. Google hates him!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/07/03/still-dont-have-ok-google-everywhere-try-this-simple-trick/

It worked on my S5 already, but I just used this to enable on my other in-reach android devices, including an old Nexus 4, N5 on "L", and a Galaxy S4.

Didn't work on an N5

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Did on mine (4.4.4 custom ROM). Make sure your Google Search is updated to at least 3.5.*
I tried it on my buddies N5 and his was 3.4.* and it didn't work.
I noticed that My Google Voice shows "OK" Google Detection. Meanwhile his says "OK" google hotword detection.
The only difference I can see is the different versions we are on.

Boywunda fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 3, 2014

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

amenenema posted:

Didn't work on an N5

Worked on my HTC One M8. Turned it off after my co-workers kept shouting "OK GOOGLE~!!!"

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Worked for me, instantly turned on the option. Stock N5 rooted. Nice. Not that I'll ever use it...

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Worked for me too on 2013 N7 and HTC M7!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Moving into my new phone will have to wait for tomorrow. Stuck pixel smack in the middle of the screen. :(

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
The option is greyed out on my Moto X. Google must think I don't need it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just got a Google search for the phrase on my Nexus 4.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

hooah posted:

I just got a Google search for the phrase on my Nexus 4.

Update your Google Search in the Play store.

e: and yeah you'll get search results when you search for it, but then go into settings.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The option to have it listen while charging will be really nice for inputting navigation commands while driving. Same deal with listening at the lock screen. No more pulling over/waiting for a red light to unlock the phone! :cool:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="431733933"]
The option is greyed out on my Moto X. Google must think I don't need it.

Yeah, this feature is disabled on the Moto X.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

My Moto X came in the mail (with some cracks on the side of the back case, I'm blaming USPS for that one...) and I installed Facebook and was sad to notice it doesn't have the contacts/calendar syncable. I've gone through a headache before when I installed CM11 on my Galaxy SIII, but what is everyone's preferred method to do this?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

minusX posted:

I've gone through a headache before when I installed CM11 on my Galaxy SIII, but what is everyone's preferred method to do this?

Just use stock - unless there's something you must have on CM11?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

minusX posted:

My Moto X came in the mail (with some cracks on the side of the back case, I'm blaming USPS for that one...) and I installed Facebook and was sad to notice it doesn't have the contacts/calendar syncable. I've gone through a headache before when I installed CM11 on my Galaxy SIII, but what is everyone's preferred method to do this?

HaxSync does it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I got my lenses in to make my own Google Cardboard, and it's really amazing. It works really well. I'm very impressed by how actually functional it is.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Jerk McJerkface posted:

So I got my lenses in to make my own Google Cardboard, and it's really amazing. It works really well. I'm very impressed by how actually functional it is.

Try out this app, and tell us how it is: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.subaru.motorsports

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

If I'm too lazy to track down lenses and find cardboard myself, do you think $20 is worth it for Dodocase's cardboard clone (without NFC)? http://www.dodocase.com/products/google-cardboard-vr-goggle-toolkit

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

teagone posted:

If I'm too lazy to track down lenses and find cardboard myself, do you think $20 is worth it for Dodocase's cardboard clone (without NFC)? http://www.dodocase.com/products/google-cardboard-vr-goggle-toolkit

Between lenses and magnets I spent maybe fifteen bucks. Factoring the time to cut it out I'd say the $20 bucks is worth it. Especially if it gets any traction. I'm mostly just impressed with how well it works. Its completely functional, even though its homemade out of junk.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

So I just fed humble bundle my google voice number and the confirmation text came up in hangouts. So maybe the voice/hangouts merge is already pretty much done? :shrug:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Turnquiet posted:

So I just fed humble bundle my google voice number and the confirmation text came up in hangouts. So maybe the voice/hangouts merge is already pretty much done? :shrug:

You have "show texts in native app" or whatever checked in GV. It simply directs the text to whatever texting app you have set as default. Has been that way for years.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My Note 2 finally killed itself. Said "gently caress Samsung" and got a One M8. It's pretty cool.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I must have missed something. Wtf is Google cardboard???

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Ragingsheep posted:

Just use stock - unless there's something you must have on CM11?
Pretty sure it was rooted stock on the Moto X but I didn't really do much with it since I might be returning it due to the cracks. Looks good!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TraderStav posted:

I must have missed something. Wtf is Google cardboard???

Ten seconds on google tells me it's a VR headset made of cardboard.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Protocol7 posted:

My Note 2 finally killed itself. Said "gently caress Samsung" and got a One M8. It's pretty cool.

Was it after the recent update?

Because this is the 2nd update that has taken my phone in the wrong direction in terms of responsiveness.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Krime posted:

Because this is the 2nd update that has taken my phone in the wrong direction in terms of responsiveness.
That seems to be a trend with Samsung updates, I think I'm going back to HTC next time too.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Samsung makes pretty solid hardware. I don't know why they insist on worsening everything with lovely software.

By the way, Eclipse got updated for the Note 3. You can have Kitkat AOSP-like functionality and responsiveness on locked Note 3s now! :toot:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Samsung updates have always been terrible. A simple Google search will show that universally every device that gets a version bump suffers from responsiveness issues, crashes, and general stability problems and it's been this way since at least the S3.

I can't help but think that while the software for the current version when the phone is developed is heavily optimized for that device subsequent updates really aren't and are rushed out because they're focusing that on the devices currently being developed.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

This baffles me. Every update for my Note 2 has made it much faster and more responsive, especially going from 4.1 to 4.3. However, I'm using an "optimised" Rom from XDA where the developer has tweaked things. Never had a problem with it and everything is flawless.

So if this one guy can do it, why can't Samsung? I mean he's not doing magic here. I'm genuinely curious. Here's a small list of what he's done:

Removed software (CPU) rendering - full Exynos 4 Quad (GPU) rendering
Fully optimized and tweaked
RAM optimizations
Improved virtual memory management
Speed optimizations
Enabled GPU UI rendering
Data, cache and system partitions mounting tweaks
All /system applications updated to latest available
All /data applications updated to latest available
Improved CPU governors performance
Most optimal system scheduler
Disabled kernel debugging for better performance

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Krime posted:

KitKat? Yeah. Messages not going through. Random reboots. General sluggishness and unresponsive at inexplicable times. Decided to randomly stop detecting the SIM card.

It was fine for this first year, but after that...

Completely stock TouchWiz rom too. I'm not offended by TouchWiz.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 4, 2014

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Alan_Shore posted:

This baffles me. Every update for my Note 2 has made it much faster and more responsive, especially going from 4.1 to 4.3. However, I'm using an "optimised" Rom from XDA where the developer has tweaked things. Never had a problem with it and everything is flawless.

So if this one guy can do it, why can't Samsung? I mean he's not doing magic here. I'm genuinely curious. Here's a small list of what he's done:

Removed software (CPU) rendering - full Exynos 4 Quad (GPU) rendering
Fully optimized and tweaked
RAM optimizations
Improved virtual memory management
Speed optimizations
Enabled GPU UI rendering
Data, cache and system partitions mounting tweaks
All /system applications updated to latest available
All /data applications updated to latest available
Improved CPU governors performance
Most optimal system scheduler
Disabled kernel debugging for better performance

Just a heads up - all these "tweaks" were just the kid playing with values in the build.prop. Do you even know how to spot the "most optimal system scheduler"?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Just a heads up - all these "tweaks" were just the kid playing with values in the build.prop. Do you even know how to spot the "most optimal system scheduler"?
Hey its not all stuff in the build.prop.

Some of them are settings in SetCPU.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hey man, he downloaded a few .APK files and put them in their appropriate partitions, also.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
See, I used OTAs. As in, official from Verizon. And the phone got worse. Factory reset did not help. I just don't think Samsung has great support for their older phones.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

This is what I'm saying. I'm sure he's doing very simple stuff that you can ridicule him for. However, my phone works great, better after the firmware updates. So my question is, is it his tweaks, does Samsung not know what they're doing and need "kids" to sort out their phones, or is it just that Note 2s have no problems with upgrades and maybe it's other Samsung phones that get worse with upgrades?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

This is what I'm saying. I'm sure he's doing very simple stuff that you can ridicule him for. However, my phone works great, better after the firmware updates. So my question is, is it his tweaks, does Samsung not know what they're doing and need "kids" to sort out their phones, or is it just that Note 2s have no problems with upgrades and maybe it's other Samsung phones that get worse with upgrades?
Or maybe you're just an anomaly? Or reports of updates breaking Samsung devices are exaggerated?

There's simply not enough data to form an accurate opinion.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LastInLine posted:

Or maybe you're just an anomaly? Or reports of updates breaking Samsung devices are exaggerated?

There's simply not enough data to form an accurate opinion.

He does have a decent question, though. Why is tweaking your build.prop enough to provide a better experience than what Samsung's engineers/execs/whatever finally say is good enough to release?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PerrineClostermann posted:

He does have a decent question, though. Why is tweaking your build.prop enough to provide a better experience than what Samsung's engineers/execs/whatever finally say is good enough to release?
Maybe these changes are only stable on one in ten devices, or cause issues with certain apps, etc. There are lots of reasons why they might not have made these tweaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Just don't buy Samsung.

• Locked thread