Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Old Fury in the Illuminati would be pretty cool. Hell, you have 2 members right there with him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I can't believe they never included him. Do they just not trust him?

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Senor Candle posted:

I can't believe they never included him. Do they just not trust him?

He already manipulates the world stage that the illuminati feels it should change and manipulate.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm a little confused about the having 2 eyes in 1958, didn't he only have one eye back when he was Sgt. Fury and the Howling Commandos killing Nazis in WW2?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I'm a little confused about the having 2 eyes in 1958, didn't he only have one eye back when he was Sgt. Fury and the Howling Commandos killing Nazis in WW2?

From Wikipedia
"During his time with the CIA, Fury begins wearing his trademark eyepatch (an issue of Sgt. Fury had revealed that he had taken shrapnel to one eye during the war, which caused him to slowly lose sight in it over the course of years)."
So I guess not!

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Yeah, Fury is always depicted with both eyes during WW II.

I just checked and:
- in New Avengers vol. 2 issue 9, he's already wearing the eyepatch in 1959.
- in Secret Warriors 25, in 1961, he does have a missing eye too. That's when he first meets Leonardo and the Heavenly Wheel is set.

I guess they looked at what was the earliest dated eyepatch appearance, saw it was in 1959 and went with 1958 as a result.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So is that guy with the jet pack someone from the silver or golden age of comics? I pretty much expect him to be some forgotten hero at this point.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'd be down with a series exploring Nick Fury: Renegade Alien and Old God Hunter.

I have to wonder at the implications of showing Watcher seeing him blow up that planet.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't really get why Fury's actions are such a big revelation. Are there any among us here who didn't already think Nick Fury was going around capping aliens and demons? Everyone was already well aware he was a super spy who did this exact same stuff on a Terran level. If Nick Fury had an animated series in the seventies, this would just be the drastic retool done for the final season to cash in on Star Wars.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Essentially this as an ongoing

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I think my favorite part of this issue was the exchange at the end.

OLD FURY: ...anyway! I've been killing to keep the world safe for a good sixty years. Thoughts?
ANT-MAN: That does not explain you being old as hell.
DR. STRANGE: I've known you for years. How did I not know about this?
EMMA FROST: I still don't really trust you, you know.
PUNISHER: I am 200% ON BOARD WITH THIS. Tell me about these... gamma bullets.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Wanderer posted:

I think my favorite part of this issue was the exchange at the end.

OLD FURY: ...anyway! I've been killing to keep the world safe for a good sixty years. Thoughts?
ANT-MAN: That does not explain you being old as hell.
DR. STRANGE: I've known you for years. How did I not know about this?
EMMA FROST: I still don't really trust you, you know.
PUNISHER: I am 200% ON BOARD WITH THIS. Tell me about these... gamma bullets.

It all makes sense now, its not Bucky who's going to be the new man on the wall. Its Frank, this is the PERFECT job for him it has him written all over it.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Jiro posted:

It all makes sense now, its not Bucky who's going to be the new man on the wall. Its Frank, this is the PERFECT job for him it has him written all over it.

They already did a Space Punisher mini!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Hopefully 616 Frank can conduct himself half as well as his Space counterpart when knee deep in Hitlers on Planet Nazi.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Little Mac posted:

I really thought Howard Stark was going to unveil Leonardo da Vinci in that Rocky Mountain stronghold.

I was expecting the same thing. I was slightly dissapointed that there was no one there.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

radlum posted:

I was expecting the same thing. I was slightly dissapointed that there was no one there.

Nick isn't supposed to meet Leonardo for another 3 years though.
And Howard kind of mentions the Shield without naming it:

"There are those of us who paid for all this, who helped scavenge the alien technology, who set this up in secret long ago.
Those of us who knew the dangers that were out there and that we're going to be coming.
But the man who uses all this doesn't work for us. He doesn't work for anyone. No government, no organization."

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Space Punisher would be a pretty unique way to take him. There's decades of street vigilante Punisher, and other than just telling a really good self-contained story, I don't know what else there is to do with him. Turn him into Frankenstein? Yeah sure buddy.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

Space Punisher would be a pretty unique way to take him. There's decades of street vigilante Punisher, and other than just telling a really good self-contained story, I don't know what else there is to do with him. Turn him into Frankenstein? Yeah sure buddy.

I really liked him in Soule's Thunderbolts. Making him work with a team is great.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Both Frankencastle and Thunderbolts show that it's time to take Frank up off the streets because god knows we're not topping Punisher MAX anytime soon.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Both Frankencastle and Thunderbolts show that it's time to take Frank up off the streets because god knows we're not topping Punisher MAX anytime soon.
I'm really curious to see if Frank would be able to go into space and find a space girlfriend, like Gamora. Someone he doesn't have to protect and can fight with him. He always could have done that in New York, but space is a little more lonely.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Well, he sort of had that going with Electra in Soule's Thunderbolts and I really dug that dynamic. This is probably because I like everything redemptive in Thunderbolts though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Flameingblack posted:

Well, it would have been two years ago...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=user_review&id=4950

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I say we keep him teamed up with Strange. Put Giffen or someone on it and make it the best buddy cop superhero comic ever.

Fuckstick Electric
Nov 25, 2012
Are we ignoring how stupid that whole Spider-Man thing was?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Fuckstick Electric posted:

Are we ignoring how stupid that whole Spider-Man thing was?

I don't think it was stupid. It shows that Fury was still a guy who thought for himself and is still essentially a good person with a good judge of character. And Spidey is certainly something special.

It also likely means he isn't the guy who murdered the Watcher.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I thought he was referring how Parker would count as enough of a threat to the planet that Fury would go and deal with it before going "nah".

I understand what they were going for but it was pretty stupid to choose Spider-Man to show it. A better option would have been Hope Summers or Franklin Richards. Hell, maybe Jean if the dude's being doing this for decades.

If the concept of "accident gives someone powers" raises a flag that Fury, as man on the wall, feels the need to address then he's either letting a shitload of villains by the same way he did Spidey OR there's a shitload more of powered individuals he may have killed before they has a chance to be good or evil.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 5, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think a better one would have been Reed Richards or another member of the F4, since that part was supposed to be indicative of his reaction to the start of the Hero age.

Fuckstick Electric
Nov 25, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If the concept of "accident gives someone powers" raises a flag that Fury, as man on the wall, feels the need to address then he's either letting a shitload of villains by the same way he did Spidey OR there's a shitload more of powered individuals he may have killed before they has a chance to be good or evil.

This is more of what I was leaning towards. If he took a look in on Spidey during his early days (wait, was that an LMD? How long is Spidey supposed to have been fighting crime for in Marvel NOW), he definitely would've taken a look at Norman Osborn, Otto Octavius, Electro and Sandman. He probably would've quit when The Sentry came into being, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

muscles like this? posted:

I think a better one would have been Reed Richards or another member of the F4, since that part was supposed to be indicative of his reaction to the start of the Hero age.

I dont know how they deal with it now (since the sliding timescale means Reed Richards wasn't born yet in 1945) but in the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby comics they Reed Richards and Nick Fury were war buddies.

Spider-Man makes more sense, because the FF were were celebrities almost immediately after being revealed, and Spider-Man was this menacing thing that a lot of people were scared of originally.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This is more of what I was leaning towards. If he took a look in on Spidey during his early days (wait, was that an LMD? How long is Spidey supposed to have been fighting crime for in Marvel NOW), he definitely would've taken a look at Norman Osborn, Otto Octavius, Electro and Sandman. He probably would've quit when The Sentry came into being, though.

Fantastic Four #1 took place 14ish years ago. Peter Parker got his powers shortly after that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I thought he was referring how Parker would count as enough of a threat to the planet that Fury would go and deal with it before going "nah".

Peter wasn't part of his man on the wall job, though. That was his regular dayjob. There were reports about a creepy spider person, Peter was pretty much the first Marvel hero to have a total and complete secret identity, and be viewed as a possible menace.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 5, 2014

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Also remember the public still views Spider-Man as a menace at that point. Plus he was like the third superhero in silver age Marvel so it makes sense he'd get on Fury's radar.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Wouldn't someone pointing a sniper rifle at Peter set off his spider sense anyway?

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Vakal posted:

Wouldn't someone pointing a sniper rifle at Peter set off his spider sense anyway?

Not if he wasn't going to fire.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Sithsaber posted:

Not if he wasn't going to fire.

Really, it depends on the writer. Peter has used his spider-sense in some really strange ways before. Some writers make it almost as accurate and detailed as Daredevil being able to hear a heart beat and being able to tell if someone is lying. I vaguely remember him hunting down journalistic leads once and using his Spider-sense to help determine what was true and what was false. Sometimes it senses him of just a general sense of danger. And most often, it is an immediate threat with only a few seconds to react.

But I think regardless, someone pointing a gun and aiming it would set it off.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
If his spidey-sense was always working he wouldn't have to wear a hardhat. :colbert: I also find it funny that Nick thought he was going to be such a huge threat that he brought his special new monster-killing gamma bomb gun for THE MAN-SPIDER and it's like "oh it's a kid in red and blue pajamas, I thiiiiink we can let this one go".

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

Really, it depends on the writer. Peter has used his spider-sense in some really strange ways before. Some writers make it almost as accurate and detailed as Daredevil being able to hear a heart beat and being able to tell if someone is lying. I vaguely remember him hunting down journalistic leads once and using his Spider-sense to help determine what was true and what was false. Sometimes it senses him of just a general sense of danger. And most often, it is an immediate threat with only a few seconds to react.

But I think regardless, someone pointing a gun and aiming it would set it off.
Sometimes he's knocked out by a regular cinderblock and goes unconscious for a while despite being one of the most versatile people on earth.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
There's that stupid loving scene in Slott's run where he walks into a door and it breaks his nose.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

I am now imagining him shooting Bob Reynolds in the head, only to find out the next day that the Sentry is just going along as though nothing happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Original Sins #3 was pretty good, but the Thor book was boooo-ring.

• Locked thread