Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

quote:

I'm trying to wrap my head around how you could manage to swallow bleach before realizing what it was(not). I guess if you are real thirsty and just went to slam some water it could happen. Jesus that would suck
Unless it was really watered down, it'd be really hard not to smell it right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Comstar posted:

Although Listverse seems to be quite happy to quote stories about mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photography, telekinetic movement, full trance mediums, the Loch Ness monster and the theory of Atlantis, two I found were 10 mysterious cases involving unidentified people and 10 Mysterious Disappearances of Multiple People interesting. The best one is The Crew of the Sarah Joe.

The story dosn't mention if it was only supposed to be a 3 hour tour.

I don't know about most of them, but I do know that at least one of the families on that missing list was recently found. Unfortunately it didn't really answer a whole lot of questions, because they were all found buried in the desert and no one knows who did it or why exactly.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Wild T posted:

Still not very creepy though, right? It's just a hole that some people have died in, like an inverted underwater Everest. That's before you watch :nms:Yuri Lipski's helmet camera video:nms:. Diving experts dissect the events as he becomes disoriented, wanders deeper and deeper into an underground cave and eventually collapses and dies a hundred meters below the surface. At one point, he makes a noise that sounds very much like 'help.'

IIRC he descended too fast (he appears to realize this but keeps going anyways), nitrogen narcosis hit him like a bottle of whiskey, he lost his regulator and became entangled in his air hoses, and thats all she wrote.

A few weeks later some friends of his made an extremely cautious and well planned dive to hook a line to his remains and recovered his body. This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swWMLEJZHbw may or may not be footage from that dive, but it is from the right time and place. Its the emotional opposite of the previous video... peaceful and transcendental. They do pass by a couple bodies, if you die in the Blue Hole you will stay there unless your friends/family have the cash/expertise to attempt a retrieval. Apparently the bottom is littered with the corpses of divers who hosed up, and either didn't have any local diver friends or their families couldn't afford retrieval.

Samunwise
Mar 18, 2009

RevSyd posted:

They do pass by a couple bodies, if you die in the Blue Hole you will stay there unless your friends/family have the cash/expertise to attempt a retrieval.

Same deal for Everest. This guy is now a common landmark for climbers.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Has there ever been a case of a diver being attacked by a shark? It seems like a terrible thing to not be able to surface quickly in case of an emergency like that.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

RCarr posted:

Has there ever been a case of a diver being attacked by a shark? It seems like a terrible thing to not be able to surface quickly in case of an emergency like that.

http://www.undercurrent.org/blog/2009/09/10/diving-shark-attack/

It's...not a good read. On the anecdotal side, my dad had a shark steal one if his dive fins near Hawaii. He thought it was a test bite to see if the shark wanted any more of him, I guess fins don't taste very good though :v:

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

RCarr posted:

Some good reading here - https://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/isaf/diverstats.htm

There have been 100+ shark on diver attacks since records have been kept about that sort of thing. Mostly non-fatal, although the deeper you are the more likely the attack is to be fatal.

If I recall my junior PADI training correctly, decompression sickness sucks but it's less bad than being eaten by a shark. I assume at the point that you fear imminent death from a shark you inflate your BCD and rocket to the surface like a soda bottle, charts be damned. After you've tried hitting him in the nose, I guess.

EDIT:

If that's the good news, the bad news is:

You probably didn't see the shark before he bit you.

moller has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Jun 19, 2014

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

RCarr posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around how you could manage to swallow bleach before realizing what it was(not). I guess if you are real thirsty and just went to slam some water it could happen. Jesus that would suck :pwn:

A friend's dad once told a story about how a guy chugged bleach because he heard at work there would be a random drug screening and (dumbfuckily) thought drinking bleach would clean out his urine.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Sad Mammal posted:

A friend's dad once told a story about how a guy chugged bleach because he heard at work there would be a random drug screening and (dumbfuckily) thought drinking bleach would clean out his urine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ6Ex8E1q50

Edit: I had no idea people have actually done that before drug tests. I thought it was just a joke.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 21:31 on Jun 19, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Sad Mammal posted:

I'd imagine there's probably some that started off with "I wonder what would happen if...?" and "I bet/dare you..." too. People can be pretty dumb.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Sad Mammal posted:

Well, nothing works better on those stubborn grass stains.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah, they make knives specifically so divers can fight off sharks if they are attacked. I would recommend not looking up what the after effects of them look like. They are basically a hollow sharp tube backed by a compressed canister, when you tab something and press the button it discharges into the target and explodes a hole in them. Supposedly the freezing effect from the gas also stops a large amount of blood from entering the water and starting a feeding frenzy but that claim seems dubious to me.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

tviolet posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marybeth_Tinning

"Marybeth Tinning (née Roe, born September 11, 1942) is an American prisoner currently serving a sentence of 20 years to life after being convicted of the murder of one of her children, while her other eight died under suspicious circumstances."

The list of her children's death is just loving horrifying. It's just one after another, almost every years. However, it was never proved that she killed all of them.

This is nutty as hell. She kept showing up with dead kids year after year, they kept going 'gently caress if we know, sids'. I know records weren't what they are now in the computer age where one hopes, perhaps irrationally, that a woman bringing dead kids into the same hospital weeks, months and years apart would somehow be noticed slightly faster. Lady this is your third dead-for-no-reason baby, we have some follow up questions.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The worst part for me is the very last part in the wikipedia article, when she's admitting it/talking about it in her parole hearings?

She really does seem like she has some sort of mental illness, she either barely remembers what happened, or knows something she did was wrong, and can't remember why she did it. And the response to this is just to shrug and put her back in jail to rot for two more years, rather than get her any help. So you just have this mentally ill woman who is simultaneously saddened by the death of her children, and also completely confused as to why she did it in the first place, sitting in a jail cell for 2 years between attempts to try and get out.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

nucleicmaxid posted:

The worst part for me is the very last part in the wikipedia article, when she's admitting it/talking about it in her parole hearings?

She really does seem like she has some sort of mental illness, she either barely remembers what happened, or knows something she did was wrong, and can't remember why she did it. And the response to this is just to shrug and put her back in jail to rot for two more years, rather than get her any help. So you just have this mentally ill woman who is simultaneously saddened by the death of her children, and also completely confused as to why she did it in the first place, sitting in a jail cell for 2 years between attempts to try and get out.
She doesn't have to apply for parole, I'm pretty sure.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Also she was able to adopt a child after how many of her biological children had died? I realize it was 1978 but man, really? Terrifying. Granted, I didn't read past the wiki article so it could've been not an official channels thing of course.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

sudont posted:

Also she was able to adopt a child after how many of her biological children had died? I realize it was 1978 but man, really? Terrifying. Granted, I didn't read past the wiki article so it could've been not an official channels thing of course.

That does actually make sense; the thinking is that she must have some kind of genetic problem. That's also why the adopted child's death tipped them off that it wasn't.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
It sounds like Münchausen Syndrome By Proxy, where a caregiver tries to garner validation by means of the attention they receive when their wards are ill (or die) by making them Ill or die.

Another interesting one is called Hero Syndrome where a person creates a tragedy, and then comes in and saves people so that they can be seen as a hero. Usually involves starting fires, then rescuing people from them. This is more of a term to describe an act than it is a legitimately diagnosable thing.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

The Scientist posted:

Another interesting one is called Hero Syndrome where a person creates a tragedy, and then comes in and saves people so that they can be seen as a hero. Usually involves starting fires, then rescuing people from them. This is more of a term to describe an act than it is a legitimately diagnosable thing.

A likely source of inspiration for Pixar?

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Yeah, they make knives specifically so divers can fight off sharks if they are attacked. I would recommend not looking up what the after effects of them look like. They are basically a hollow sharp tube backed by a compressed canister, when you tab something and press the button it discharges into the target and explodes a hole in them. Supposedly the freezing effect from the gas also stops a large amount of blood from entering the water and starting a feeding frenzy but that claim seems dubious to me.

I don't quite know what you're describing here, a knife that explodes and freezes sharks? It kinda sounds like you're talking about a bang-stick or Powerhead which is basically a shotgun shell or pistol cartridge on the end of a spear. Poke it into the shark and *bang*.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerhead

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

TheDon01 posted:

I don't quite know what you're describing here, a knife that explodes and freezes sharks? It kinda sounds like you're talking about a bang-stick or Powerhead which is basically a shotgun shell or pistol cartridge on the end of a spear. Poke it into the shark and *bang*.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerhead

The description's kind of off, but it sounds like EEB was referring to a Wasp Knife.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

The description's kind of off, but it sounds like EEB was referring to a Wasp Knife.

Yeah, those, I've seen people do test stabs with them on stuff and it seems like it would gently caress up most things. I just really doubt their whole "frozen basketball" claim. The only real life animal I've seen it used on was a gator, it was an ugly mess and gators are a lot harder to stab than sharks.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
All this talk about bleach and drinking it reminded me of something that I had the misfortune of learning about this past weekend.

Allow me to introduce to you, Miracle Mineral Supplement.

Minerals huh? Must be some spring water poo poo or something some health conscious folks take to "supplement" their diet. gently caress no.

Allow wikipedia to enlighten you:

wikipedia posted:

Miracle Mineral Supplement, often referred to as Miracle Mineral Solution, Master Mineral Solution, or MMS, is a toxic solution of 28% sodium chlorite in distilled water. The product contains essentially the same ingredient as industrial-strength bleach before "activation" with a food-grade acid. MMS is falsely and dangerously promoted as a cure for HIV, malaria, hepatitis viruses, the H1N1 flu virus, common colds, acne, cancer, and more.

Wonderful, so you have something that is essentially industrial grade bleach, only you're going to be drinking that poo poo cause you're desperate and probably tired of using your power crystals. Cool.

Let's see what Sodium Chlorite is primarily used for:

wikipedia posted:

The main application of sodium chlorite is the generation of chlorine dioxide for bleaching and stripping of textiles, pulp, and paper.

It is also used with zinc chloride in the use of mouthwashes and other hygienic products, but keep in mind that is used in minute amounts. Low enough not to gently caress up your kidneys and insides.

Now, here's the thing. While ingesting high concentrations of Sodium Chlorite directly is probably not the smartest thing to do, the next step reaches levels of extreme mental retardation. In order to "activate" the "magical regenerative properties" a.k.a Acute Renal Failure, you have to ingest citric acid. This can be accomplished by drinking lemon or orange juice and as a result, produces Chlorine Dioxide.

Wait a minute...that's the same poo poo textile industries use to bleach their product! It is also commonly used for chlorination in our drinking water since it is great at getting rid of nasty poo poo but even then the EPA regulates the amount of ClO2 that can be present in our water by a infinitesimal 0.8 mg/L. Again, something beneficial that is used in extremely small amounts but can become dangerous at high enough concentrations.

So, basically you have snake oil that is sold to infirm and desperate people by human trash that contains high concentrations of toxic chemical compounds, which are normally reserved for industrial usage and responsibly handled, except you do away with the sane concentrations and chemists and end up with world's shittiest drink.

It's no Bloop or Scientology raid, but it is unnerving that there are people who would willingly poison sick people for a quick buck. Also, because my dumb poo poo uncle decided to give my grandmother some of this nasty poo poo. Luckily I was able to stop her from taking it, but jesus. Maybe to get in the spirit of the thread, I'll leave with this quote:

wikipedia posted:

A woman from north Mackay, Australia, without qualifications to practice, charged up to A$2,000 to inject patients with MMS in her garage which lacked proper facilities for sterilization, and went as far as advising a person to avoid chemotherapy while "dishonestly promoting its benefits with no scientific basis for her claims". The Queensland Office of Fair Trading got a court order prohibiting her from "making any claims she is able to treat, cure, or benefit any person suffering from cancer" and she was charged court costs of A$12,000.

gently caress pseudoscience.

Glasgow Kiss has a new favorite as of 10:39 on Jun 20, 2014

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Back when I used to troll TPC regularly there was a long thread of several dozen people bitching about the nazi-commie-muslim FDA trying to block MMS because Obama. The article linked talked about how it was this cure-all cleansing supplement that is even being distributed in Africa to cure HIV.

That's the sort of rear end in a top hat, callous greed that has people selling 60,000 dowsing rods to the Iraqi EOD teams to find IEDs with.

piss explosion
Apr 2, 2005
I THINK MURDER AND BIGOTRY ARE FUNNY!!
While we're talking of crazy doctors operating in rural Queensland, Australia, check out this dude who killed 87 people: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayant_Patel

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

piss explosion posted:

While we're talking of crazy doctors operating in rural Queensland, Australia, check out this dude who killed 87 people: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayant_Patel

The Article posted:

It is alleged he altered medical records in order to hide his inadequacies.

Man, he better have been trying to hide his terrible poo poo, otherwise this mostly looks like various US & AU medical boards being unwilling to do anything about a fantastically poo poo doctor even when his fellow medical staff are constantly trying to alert said boards to his shittiness.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Yeah, those, I've seen people do test stabs with them on stuff and it seems like it would gently caress up most things. I just really doubt their whole "frozen basketball" claim. The only real life animal I've seen it used on was a gator, it was an ugly mess and gators are a lot harder to stab than sharks.

Jesus I never knew such a thing existed. Yeah even if the whole freezing thing was just hype it would still blow a big horrible bubble under their skin/in their body cavity. :stonk:

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

If someone made an underwater submachine gun designed specifically to kill big sharks, that would be a pretty cool gun to take diving with you.

If you could make slow-burn gyrojet rockets that operate when submerged, that would be even cooler. Like a pistol that shoots tiny .50 caliber torpedoes, that would make for some wicked-rear end underwater gunfights with commandos and frogmen that would look like they were happening in Matrix bullet time.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Ernie Muppari posted:

Man, he better have been trying to hide his terrible poo poo, otherwise this mostly looks like various US & AU medical boards being unwilling to do anything about a fantastically poo poo doctor even when his fellow medical staff are constantly trying to alert said boards to his shittiness.

Sorry to say it seems fairly common for doctors and nurses who kill to get away with it for a very long time, even if they're not really covering much up and colleagues have their suspicions. That's why they rack up some of the highest body counts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_of_Death_%28criminology%29

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
If I ever go diving in shark-infested waters, I'll take a taser.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

RevSyd posted:

If someone made an underwater submachine gun designed specifically to kill big sharks, that would be a pretty cool gun to take diving with you.

If you could make slow-burn gyrojet rockets that operate when submerged, that would be even cooler. Like a pistol that shoots tiny .50 caliber torpedoes, that would make for some wicked-rear end underwater gunfights with commandos and frogmen that would look like they were happening in Matrix bullet time.

USSR has you covered! :ussr:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APS_underwater_rifle

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Ernie Muppari posted:

Umm, sorry you had to find this out here, man.

quote:

Medical victims of a jailed cocaine-addict surgeon have called for an independent audit of his patient database to establish how many botched operations resulted in death or suspicious injury. The Medical Council of NSW knew Suresh Nair had a severe cocaine addiction as far back as 2004, but allowed him to continue operating as a neurosurgeon at Nepean Hospital until November 2009.

Dude doesn't have a wikipedia article, though

bartok
May 10, 2006

Kimmalah posted:

Sorry to say it seems fairly common for doctors and nurses who kill to get away with it for a very long time, even if they're not really covering much up and colleagues have their suspicions. That's why they rack up some of the highest body counts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_of_Death_%28criminology%29

This reminds me of a former co-worker of my mom's.
http://murderpedia.org/male.H/h/harvey-donald.htm

quote:

When John Powell died at the Drake Memorial Hospital in Cincinatti, Ohio, of cyanide poisining, police targeted orderly Donald Harvey, who had been present at the March, 1987 poisoning of Powell and when many other patients had mysteriously passed away. Under questioning Harvey admitted to killing more than fifty people throughout his life.

Digging further police found that the hospitals Harvey had worked at all had very high fatality rates and that some of his aquaintances and homosexual lovers had also perished suddenly. For his part, Harvey claimed that he had been simply putting ill patients out of their misery. He could not offer an explanation for the other deaths.

Harvey eventually pled guilty to 24 hospital slayings, recieving 20 years-to-life in prison for each count, and collected a life sentence for the deadly poisoning of a neighbor. Tried in Kentucky, Harvey again pled guilty, this time to eight counts of murder and one count of manslaughter, and was sentenced to eight life terms and one twenty year term.

My mom was a nurse at the hospital he was finally arrested at. Apparently her and the other nurses were the ones that dubbed him the "Angel of Death". They alerted their supervisors and just given the typical "We'll look into it". He was able to carry on for so long because his victims were mostly elderly and/or terminal.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

(Nevermind, sodium chlorite is not sodium hypochlorite)

The Lone Badger has a new favorite as of 13:59 on Jun 21, 2014

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

I'd imagine there's probably some that started off with "I wonder what would happen if...?" and "I bet/dare you..." too. People can be pretty dumb.

they can

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1510198/Antifreeze-prank-left-man-deaf-and-blind.html

quote:

A mechanic who left a workmate totally blind, deaf and crippled after spiking a bottle of Coca-Cola with antifreeze was jailed for 15 months yesterday.
Keith Lamb carried out the prank in an attempt to stop Martin Bingley sipping straight from a bottle meant to be shared with other employees.

An antidote could have prevented Mr Bingley, 46, who is married with two children, from permanent damage had it been given within days.
But Lamb, 45, remained silent after his colleague drank the solution and almost died as doctors struggled to establish the cause, Sheffield Crown Court heard.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Fun fact: one of the antidotes to propylene glycol poisoning is getting drunk as gently caress. The same method of metabolization is used for both the glycol and alcohol, and slowing down the glycol's metabolization allows the byproducts to not build up to toxic levels.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Does anyone have links to... not ghost story threads exactly, but SA threads about weird things that have happened to people, and/or previous discussions about mysteries and the like?

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

Does anyone have links to... not ghost story threads exactly, but SA threads about weird things that have happened to people, and/or previous discussions about mysteries and the like?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2784616

I think there are a couple other "Unsolved Mysteries" threads out there, but that's the only one I could find.

JD-Smith
Apr 30, 2009

YOU WILL OBEY.
This was my favorite thread to read.. now it's dead. poo poo I was going to find a good article.. but I can't think under pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

JD-Smith posted:

This was my favorite thread to read.. now it's dead. poo poo I was going to find a good article.. but I can't think under pressure.

Got you covered.

Donald Crowhurst and the Teignmouth Electron were discussed briefly in the last thread, which is where I first heard of him, and I've been fascinated by his story ever since.

Basically, in the 60s, a British newspaper sponsored a solo nonstop circumnavigation sailing race, and this guy signed up with next to no sailing experience, mortgaging his house to finance it and basically putting his entire livelihood on the line. It quickly became clear that he wasn't going to make it, so instead of heading home, he hung around in the South Atlantic alone for a few months, doing celestial navigation backwards in order to falsify his journey. The stress, combined with the oppressive loneliness, eventually caused him to go cuckoo bananapants insane and kill himself.

The other contestants in the race are no less fascinating, and there's a documentary on Netlfix called Deep Water that goes into the race far better than I ever could. I can't recommend it enough.