Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Just booked a family trip to WDW in November, just catching the end of F&W festival. Any idea when the schedule or tickets become available?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tomapot posted:

Just booked a family trip to WDW in November, just catching the end of F&W festival. Any idea when the schedule or tickets become available?

For what? F&W is included with regular admission. The schedule, who knows. I'm waiting on it myself.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

For what? F&W is included with regular admission. The schedule, who knows. I'm waiting on it myself.

Thought there are special events that you can get tickets for? This will be my first time I'm planning this out, last time it was at the end of a business trip and I popped in to grab some (really good) food.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

tomapot posted:

Thought there are special events that you can get tickets for? This will be my first time I'm planning this out, last time it was at the end of a business trip and I popped in to grab some (really good) food.

I've never been, but I found a list of last year's special events on WDWInfo's F&W page. Several goons in this thread have already talked up the Party for the Senses event:

quote:

Held in the World ShowPlace Events Pavilion, this elegant party is perfect for foodies. Sample great food from famous chefs, 50 wines and beers and live entertainment.

General admission is $145, a main floor reserved table is $180, and a reserved table in the premium Wine View Lounge is $285. Reserved seats include a specialty cocktail and admission at 7:15.

2013: 10/5, 12, 19, 26, 11/2. 7:30-10:00 pm

The "live entertainment" is provided by Cirque du Soleil.

Sair
May 11, 2007

tomapot posted:

It's a normal ticket. It actually makes Epcot a bit busier though.

Also you won't have a proper meal because all food is so good.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
They also have other events at the pavillion like wine tastings and other neat classes but those you cannot get tickets for in advance (unless they changed it this year because :Disney) and most do not have a cost involved. Some do though, it just depends on the class. TBH I would not spend the extra money to see the fireworks at those 'special locations'. It's a waste of money even and a catered dessert is not worth the additional cost. Although that foodie party seems great, my sister in law was involved in it the last two years as part of the operations for it and she told use we were better off spending the money at the park enjoying the festival food and filling up on it but ymmv and if you have the money to burn then by all means. :)

The links are to the WDW page on F&W and this one is to the Facebook page if you are interested. Be sure to post if you want to get an impromptu goon meet, there are a few of us who live in the area and have annual passes. The wife and I go.. a lot.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Just gonna say it again. Party for the Senses owns. If you can afford to, definitely do it. If you like food. Or booze.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Sair posted:

It's a normal ticket. It actually makes Epcot a bit busier though.

Also you won't have a proper meal because all food is so good.

It's especially true on Friday and Saturday nights. That's when the locals come out in full force. I'd definitely recommend doing F&W during the week if you can.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

mearn posted:

It's especially true on Friday and Saturday nights. That's when the locals come out in full force. I'd definitely recommend doing F&W during the week if you can.

Oh God yes.. I do not ever recommend F&W on a weekend. It's freaking chaos. Unless of course you are a glutton for punishment and like large crowds of unruly drunks then more power to you.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I cannot even imagine F&W on a weekend. We went on a Wednesday night near the tail end last year and it was a mess.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Braksgirl posted:

I cannot even imagine F&W on a weekend. We went on a Wednesday night near the tail end last year and it was a mess.

From experience, the first few weeks and the last week or two are crazy as you can imagine because of people wanting to go when it first kicks off. I think the crowds near then end when locals in particular are trying to get their last visit in before it leaves is worse.

Also, I have heard from sources they may be extending Epcot park hours beyond the 9pm close not including the extra magic hours but I have not seen it anywhere on the published schedules.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm sitting here at the eye doctors office and I wish I was at the Wilderness Lodge instead.

Sigh.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Fish Biscuit posted:

I also highly recommend doing the Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Party. You get an unobstructed view of the fireworks show and a desert buffet to boot. At $25/adults $13/child a lot of people think it's too pricey for a sweets buffet but I think being able to relax and enjoy the fireworks comfortably instead of being packed into the street in front of the castle like sardines is worth it. Plus in usual Disney fashion the food was excellent. You absolutely need to make reservations for this though and they usually book up really quick.

This is waaaaay back on page 1, but is Tomorrowland Terrace the semi-outdoor eatery that was recently enclosed? If so, is this party still available?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

It looks as though it's still available on the website, but when I try to punch in some dates, it says nothing's available. So I'm not sure.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It's available but it's like trying to get dinner reservations to Be Our Guest.

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013
So, any goons going to be at WDW anytime between August 22nd to the 27th? My family is great and all, but they're slow and old. I want to really enjoy the park with some energized youngsters like me!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
So today I was pulled aside by a coordinator and asked to sign a piece of paper. Since managers ask me to sign stuff all the time to prove they talked to me, I thought little of it. She then pulled this bad boy out of a bag and gave it to me.

I am stoked. I don't even work Mine Train (although I often straighten their strollers since they are busy dealing with 120 minute wait times) but I was training in the area on opening day, so I get one. Yesssssssss.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

That is awesome. I'd pimp that poo poo for the rest of my life and probably make up war stories about how horrible/awesome working the ride at the very beginning was.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It's available but it's like trying to get dinner reservations to Be Our Guest.

When I was working on booking my trip at the end of May I started writing a script that would check every five minutes to see if reservations were available for BoG on a certain day and text me if it was. I ended up getting a reservation for the day I was looking for about halfway through though. I should finish it and make it available to goons trying to book hard to get reservations

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Lincoln posted:

This is waaaaay back on page 1, but is Tomorrowland Terrace the semi-outdoor eatery that was recently enclosed? If so, is this party still available?

We are going to the parks today after wifey gets out of work, early release for the holidays. I'll check for you and post back if I survive.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Jose Valasquez posted:

When I was working on booking my trip at the end of May I started writing a script that would check every five minutes to see if reservations were available for BoG on a certain day and text me if it was. I ended up getting a reservation for the day I was looking for about halfway through though. I should finish it and make it available to goons trying to book hard to get reservations

holy poo poo, finish it and release it to the DisBoards! I want to see the carnage it causes!

IAmNotYourRealDad
Sep 6, 2011

Jose Valasquez posted:

Yes yes yessss! (But make sure you PM it to me first before the other greedy goons get their hands on it.)

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Yeah, I'm gonna need that script.

And that Mine Train pin.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I know the pin collectors are crazy, what would that Mine Pin go for if you sold it?

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Instant termination, usually.

They're pretty crazy about that poo poo.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Tomorrowland Terrace is not enclosed at all.. Not even a trace of construction. They did however add gates to the outside seating so on the evenings they can control it better for the fireworks diners.

BBS we stopped by and did not see you around.. will check back later. Wife says "what's BBS' real name and we can ask?" Umm

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 3, 2014

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

skipdogg posted:

I know the pin collectors are crazy, what would that Mine Pin go for if you sold it?

Give it a few years and it will be drat near priceless. Selling it would be a waste though.

As for BBS look for the fat guy :cheeky:. As a CP he'll prolly be working the late part of the day, if he's working today.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Nathilus posted:

As for BBS look for the fat guy :cheeky:. As a CP he'll prolly be working the late part of the day, if he's working today.

Pretty sure we just had a BBS sighting at teacups. He's wearing a *insert name here* name tag.. BBS, check on bud, we were right next to you as you started the ride. Didn't say anything because you were in the zone.. And I did not want to distract you and get you in trouble. Next time I'll yell out Gooooooooooonnnnnnssssss..

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 4, 2014

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

demonR6 posted:

Pretty sure we just had a BBS sighting at teacups. He's wearing a name tag.. BBS, check on bud, we were right next to you as you started the ride. Didn't say anything because you were in the zone.. And I did not want to distract you and get you in trouble. Next time I'll yell out Gooooooooooonnnnnnssssss..

Whew that's a "Wild BBS" you can check off the nature-seeing list! They're rare, GOOD JOB! :D Might wanna remove that name though, accurate or not. You know how weird some goons can be with detectiving, and a WDW job is one that you have to be careful about privacy concerning.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

So I THINK I have the dining script working, but it needs some field testing.

I'd prefer to not distribute the actual script because I don't want it getting posted elsewhere or have a million people using it and defeating the purpose of creating the script in the first place or having Disney notice and block it, but if any goons have a trip coming up soon (the sooner the better since I figure reservations are more volatile as the date approaches) and are interested in helping with beta testing send me a PM with the date you are looking for, the restaurant, the number of people in your party, and either your email address or your cell phone number and carrier. I'll run the script for a few hours at a time over the next several days and see if there are any hiccups.

I've got enough people for testing now. If testing goes well I'll open it up to more people

Jose Valasquez fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 4, 2014

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

Pretty sure we just had a BBS sighting at teacups. He's wearing a *insert name here* name tag.. BBS, check on bud, we were right next to you as you started the ride. Didn't say anything because you were in the zone.. And I did not want to distract you and get you in trouble. Next time I'll yell out Gooooooooooonnnnnnssssss..

I'll give you a hint. I share a name with a Disney character. If it was something like that, then hooray you kind of found me. Other wise, probably not. Although I am probably the largest male working on Pooh/Teacups. I'm Pooh sized. :3:

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

demonR6 posted:

He's wearing a *insert name here* name tag

For a good ten seconds, I was wondering when we started making name tags that said that.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I'll give you a hint. I share a name with a Disney character. If it was something like that, then hooray you kind of found me. Other wise, probably not. Although I am probably the largest male working on Pooh/Teacups. I'm Pooh sized. :3:

That was you. I edited out the name after a wise suggestion. I'll have to get a tshirt with the SA logo to better ID myself and not seem like a tourist stalker.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

edit: i hosed up this post.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 4, 2014

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

About what time? Were you on the tea cups or just standing outside it? DID YOU CLOSE YOUR DOOR. PLEASE CLOSE THAT DOOR, FOLKS. STAY SEATED. OH GOD.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 4, 2014

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

About what time? Were you on the tea cups or just standing outside it? DID YOU CLOSE YOUR DOOR. PLEASE CLOSE THAT DOOR, FOLKS. STAY SEATED. OH GOD.

Heh, it was about 10:15 PM.. we had just left Dumbo and were killing time till our 10:30 FP @ Buzz. You know that location on the South side of the ride where you work some Disney magic with a key and the ride starts? We were right there standing next to it by the fence. Wife was like "Say something.." huh? WTF do you want me to say, the guy is busy working and you can see he is by himself and about to start the ride. Oh I got it!! "Hello goon.. it's me." Yeah that would be just ginchy.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I realise this is the Disney thread but I don't see anywhere else more appropriate to ask.

While visiting Disney World we're going to take a couple of days to head out to the Universal parks.

Does anyone know what the queues are likely to be like in the second week of September? I'm guessing it's similar to Disney but they just opened that Harry Potter thing so I wondered if it will be busier.

Also does anyone know if it's possible to buy the unlimited queue jump thing on the day or if you have to get it in advance? The internet is not turning up any useful information on this.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Post-Labor Day things are usually pretty slow. I'm sure Universal's going to get a decent bump from Potter but I'm not sure how big it'll be. Definitely better than July or August though.

You can buy the Express Pass day of but I think it's a bit cheaper if you buy in advance. Also worth noting that the Express passes aren't valid at Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, Escape from Gringotts or the Hogwarts Express.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

demonR6 posted:

Heh, it was about 10:15 PM.. we had just left Dumbo and were killing time till our 10:30 FP @ Buzz. You know that location on the South side of the ride where you work some Disney magic with a key and the ride starts? We were right there standing next to it by the fence. Wife was like "Say something.." huh? WTF do you want me to say, the guy is busy working and you can see he is by himself and about to start the ride. Oh I got it!! "Hello goon.. it's me." Yeah that would be just ginchy.

"Have you ever watched a frog masturbate by the pale moonlight?" would be my guess at your opener.

Crowd prediction sites are really wary about Universal this year and everybody seems to think that they're going to be swamped due to Diagon Alley. But they're crowd prediction sites and they aren't always accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

demonR6 posted:

You could ask a variation of the goon question "Do you have stairs on your ride?"