Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BULBASAUR posted:

Sorry to double post, but you nailed it- do not put grab bags on ebay, since you will loose money doing it that way compared to taking time and breaking it into a few different ones. Its worth your while to lump some things together, but overall you should keep it pretty specialized.

Yea, like put all the parts for a heavy weapon together, or maybe a handful of marine shoulder pads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody! When I was at the store today I had a great conversation with a gentleman who was buying roughly a bajillion Orks and another who was talking some nonsense about the Eldar. It was like I stepped into a living and breathing Trad. Games thread and it was everything that I hoped it would be!

As for armies: I was thinking about starting off with that Tempestus Scion box that just came out and going from there. I am a huge fan of their models, plus I like the idea of playing an airborne infantry division. Furthermore, the fact that that army has only four guys makes me think that they'd be easy to learn the game with. Once I get the rough edges worked out I'll turn them into "allies" of someone (maybe the Imperial Guard or the Grey Knights?) and then making my main army whatever they are allied with.

Good decision/bad decision? I figure by buying a box I wont have to worry about making a terrible list right away, plus starting with a 500 or 750 point army can't be too bad of a way to learn, right? I assume I'll lose every game I'll ever play, even when I do eventually learn the rules, so I'm not too concerned about being competitive from the get-go.

Militarum Tempestus is actually not too bad as a starter army/ally. They offer a decent smattering of the abilities/equipment of the Astra Militarum with a few bonuses and better skills overall. If you buy into MT now just know that it would be a financially smart (warhams being financially smart lol) decision to buy into an Imperium army that is a valid ally choice for MT. For instance, I have a couple of MT units I plan on using for allies to my Salamanders Space Marines, though they could just as we'll be allied with any other Space Marine Faction (Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Grey Knights) or Astra Militarum just as easily. An Imperial army is a decent buy to start because Imperial forces are about half of the total model range and they're a pretty solid bet both in-game and in terms of interesting model ranges.

Essentially what I'm saying is if you love the Emperor, you know what to do.

Edit: also this:

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 4, 2014

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
That cape is pretty loving bitchin' awesome.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

:siren:HEY SRM!:siren:

What…

in the hell…

is this?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The divine retribution of the Emperor.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

His holy wrath and furious anger.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

MasterSlowPoke posted:

IA army lists are like codexes. Army list creation is actually rather simple, just different from how it worked before.

Oh, you can have as many allies as you like? I was thinking of doing my Word Bearers as:

Word Bearers Primary Detachment
Daemon Allies
Crimson Slaughter Allies
Aegis Line Fortification
Helbrute Dataslate

And it fits in 1500 pts, what a wacky world we live in

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody! When I was at the store today I had a great conversation with a gentleman who was buying roughly a bajillion Orks and another who was talking some nonsense about the Eldar. It was like I stepped into a living and breathing Trad. Games thread and it was everything that I hoped it would be!

As for armies: I was thinking about starting off with that Tempestus Scion box that just came out and going from there. I am a huge fan of their models, plus I like the idea of playing an airborne infantry division. Furthermore, the fact that that army has only four guys makes me think that they'd be easy to learn the game with. Once I get the rough edges worked out I'll turn them into "allies" of someone (maybe the Imperial Guard or the Grey Knights?) and then making my main army whatever they are allied with.

Good decision/bad decision? I figure by buying a box I wont have to worry about making a terrible list right away, plus starting with a 500 or 750 point army can't be too bad of a way to learn, right? I assume I'll lose every game I'll ever play, even when I do eventually learn the rules, so I'm not too concerned about being competitive from the get-go.

If there is a clear set of models that you like significantly more than anything else, that's what you should go for. If nothing else, you can probably counts-as or ally them to many more things than just TS/IG/GK. "Human guy with a gun" goes a lot of places in the setting, fluff-wise, even if the models are notionally supposed to be a particular sort of Imperial commando.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Fix posted:

:siren:HEY SRM!:siren:

What…

in the hell…

is this?

Older RT bike with an old Commissar model on it, it's a conversion. I have a few of those with marines that are better scaled to it including one with a marine shooting to the side with a bolter.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Karandras posted:

Oh, you can have as many allies as you like? I was thinking of doing my Word Bearers as:

Word Bearers Primary Detachment
Daemon Allies
Crimson Slaughter Allies
Aegis Line Fortification
Helbrute Dataslate

And it fits in 1500 pts, what a wacky world we live in

This I can live with. The rest is cheesy, minmaxy, beardy poo poo that shouldn't ever have made the presses. :colbert: :rolldice:

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Word Bearers are pretty good. You can unlock the ability to give (some of) your squads a randomly generated ability of Zealot, +1 Str, or Daemon. Most of their ICs are psykers or can become psykers. Likewise, characters can take vanilla CCWs with Instant Death. Their Rite is mediocre but allow CD allies. Gal Vorbak are 200 points for +1 WS/S/T/W/A over baseline marines. They also get Ashen Circle, which are jump infantry which hurt nearby units when they deepstrike in, always get S5 HoW hits, and are really solid at Sweeping Advances. Kor Phaeron and Erebus are passable selections, and Lorgar is able to be one of the best Psykers in either 40k or 30k whole. I'll do IW if no one else will but BULBASAUR is probably a better choice.

Again thanks for the responses guys, really great stuff. At this moment I'm definelty leaning heavily towards Word Bearers at the moment.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Direwolf posted:

Older RT bike with an old Commissar model on it, it's a conversion. I have a few of those with marines that are better scaled to it including one with a marine shooting to the side with a bolter.

That's what I thought at first, too, and I couldn't for the life of me find the right catalog for him, but here it is after all. Turns out it really was a kit.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man, just saw that Killa Kans are only S7 now. Goodbye trying to take down Landraiders and other Walkers.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

LordAba posted:

Oh man, just saw that Killa Kans are only S7 now. Goodbye trying to take down Landraiders and other Walkers.

Yeah, between that and the increased cost (never mind the Cowardly Grots! rule) I'm considering running them as Grot Tanks until I can grab or make some of my own.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
It's okay, they can join Wyches in assaulting the bottom of the trashcan.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Yeah, between that and the increased cost (never mind the Cowardly Grots! rule) I'm considering running them as Grot Tanks until I can grab or make some of my own.

How are the grot tanks and super gront tanks? There's an army list floating around where you get to use those as troops, I think. Looked neat.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

DJ Dizzy posted:

This I can live with. The rest is cheesy, minmaxy, beardy poo poo that shouldn't ever have made the presses. :colbert: :rolldice:

Helcult is cheesy? My list is a handful of Cataphractii armoured Word Bearers and a heap of cultists, the Helbrute is one of those Forgeworld Blood Slaughterer daemon engine things. Going for a slightly Khorne themed 40k Word Bearer's list but with clean neat 30k models.

The Crimson Slaughter allies is a Sorceror with the Daemon relic and Possessed squad I've got planned for those new Gal Vorbak models. Demonology summoning stuff, but all Khorne daemons, none of this chain summoning tzeentch stuff.

Aegis line is a converted Blood Cannon or whatever the chariot gun is, crewed by Bloodletters (Khorne is the God of War, not the God of Swords after all).

It's an objectively bad army and isn't even slightly cheesy, it's incredibly thematic and an even balance of unit types so geez judge not a goon by the names of their detachments.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

LordAba posted:

Yeah, it's a bit of a shame. I have three Kanz painted so I will run them but
considering that for the cost of a kan with a rocket i could get two buggies with a twin linked rocket each makes it tough to justify brining the kanz along.

Also here is a trukk I just finished painting.

Funny thing I noticed is that you can now buy trukks by themselves as fast attack choices.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

WAR FOOT posted:

It's okay, they can join Wyches in assaulting the bottom of the trashcan.

Hey! The one thing wyches are good at is assaulting walkers and land raiders. :v:

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Crossposting because I'm feeling like a proud papa...

So, I "finished" my Armageddon Steel Legion Armored Battle Group... I had initially planned to do 12 Lemans and then add other pieces as time went on, however I was laid off last week, and my industry is all hosed so I might be out for a while (last exile was 11 months).... SO, that being said, it kind of just ends here for the time being.

I'm really happy with them, though I wish I had a better camera. There are a few nitpicky things I need to clean up, like the trench rails I got from China warped overnight somehow, so I'm going to pin them (interesting to note, the trench rails don't fit regular Lemans that well, and must only fit the FW Krieg Leman properly). Some of the transfers look shiny in the pictures but look matte in real life, though they tend to dry out and flake off... I tried using MicroSol to make them stay, we'll see if that works.

They're all magnetized with swappable barrels, sponsons and weapons. I'm very proud of how clean the magnetizing and swapping came out. I discovered today that I have a reversed magnet in the Demolisher (Tank Four) that I need to fix.

Other than that, I'm pretty pleased with them. Especially the Commissariat Tank. I went looking on google for inspiration, and didn't find much (that was any good). So I based it solely on what's in the Imperial Armour book. I like that one so much, I may someday do a version of Yarrick's "Fortress of Arrogance" - because that is the baddest rear end name for a tank, ever.

There are six, but here's the photo dump of multiple angles, because my stupid camera on macro has a really small field of vision.

Special thanks to The Sex Cannon for all the dozer blades I'm currently magnetizing to fit on the front of these. Guy went out of his way to send me a half dozen for the cost of shipping. Thanks a million!

ALBUM LINK

Tank One - Tank Commander

Tank Two - Commissar Tank - "Chariot of Pain"

Tank Three

Tank Four

Tank Five

Tank Six - a "rescue" - had glue and several layers of paint. I cut away what I could and put in a panel to cover up the mess. He has a twin, but the glue on that one is several millimeters thick in some places, and may be unsalvageable.

Now to name them and fluff them up for our next campaign... They'll be allying with my SM since I won't be able to field 1500pts worth.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

DJ Dizzy posted:

Yeah, a bunch of unwashed cultists worshipping an unholy relic of the dark gods doesn't belong in a Word Bearers list. They're also noted for their extreme hatred of defensive structures. What's wrong with you?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Has anyone been stupid smart enough to get the new Flash Gitz? Would you be able to shimmy one of them onto a 25mm base without that giant gun they have?

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Yeah, a bunch of unwashed cultists worshipping an unholy relic of the dark gods doesn't belong in a Word Bearers list. They're also noted for their extreme hatred of defensive structures. What's wrong with you?

It's just growing pains. The changes to army selection in 7th are huge and the playerbase still hasn't quite got its head around what the impact multiple detachments has on the meta.

It's like the folks whining about Ghaz becoming a Lord of War. It really shouldn't make a difference. LoW are allowed in a combined arms detachment.

There was a fellow I had a discussion with who was complaining that now that Ghaz is a lord of war he will never be allowed to use him in a game. I informed him that under the 7th edition rules he can take ghaz in a combined arms detachment along with two additional HQs if he wanted. He was no better off. His response was to tell me that he and his friends don't play with Lords of War. I then said that the problem was not with the ork codex or the rules of the game but with his groups house rule. Which his group is free to change, perhaps they could play "no superheavies" rather than no LoW.

Point being there's a lot changing about the game and, for better or worse, the dust hasn't settled yet.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Those tanks are really sweet.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Tank Six - a "rescue" - had glue and several layers of paint. I cut away what I could and put in a panel to cover up the mess. He has a twin, but the glue on that one is several millimeters thick in some places, and may be unsalvageable.

Just because it's un-salvageable doesn't mean it's :orks101:un-lootable.:orks:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Cataphract posted:

It's like the folks whining about Ghaz becoming a Lord of War. It really shouldn't make a difference. LoW are allowed in a combined arms detachment.

You're missing the point entirely. The reason people hate Ghaz being a Lord of War is because the other player gets four victory points for killing a model that is squishier than a Space Marine bike captain. That's a huge liability to put on the table.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I think one of the odder changes in the ork codex has to be the new electric grot-prods. They used to be 4+ poisoned attacks and now you can trade all your attacks for a single attack at 2x strength. I guess having one s6 swing could be handy if a walker attacks instead of just tarpitting it with grabba sticks.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

HiveCommander posted:

You're missing the point entirely. The reason people hate Ghaz being a Lord of War is because the other player gets four victory points for killing a model that is squishier than a Space Marine bike captain. That's a huge liability to put on the table.

Actually it's one Victory Point, and it's arguable whether that is even the case for Ghaz.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Sure? Destroying a Lord of War grants a bonus and Ghaz being practically the only model in the Ork codex that isn't ld7 means he becomes your warlord by default.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

It's 2, right? 1 for knocking 3 wounds off a LoW and (likely) 1 for warlord?

There are a lot more points to score in 7E missions, so if that's the case, it isn't too bad.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

It's 2, right? 1 for knocking 3 wounds off a LoW and (likely) 1 for warlord?

There are a lot more points to score in 7E missions, so if that's the case, it isn't too bad.

I was certain there was an additional bonus for completely killing a LoW as well, I could be wrong but he still feels like a liability.
If you go into a game saying "I'm bringing Ghaz" your opponent is likely to say "Since you're bringing a LoW, I'll bring a Thunderhawk :smug:" or something equally stupid. Unless Calgar and every other named character in the game becomes a LoW then it's a stupid move by GW.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

BULBASAUR posted:

How are the grot tanks and super gront tanks? There's an army list floating around where you get to use those as troops, I think. Looked neat.

My brother effing hated regular Grot Tanks against his Daemon flying circus list; they're shooty as hell, fun, and fluffy, plus get a 5+ invuln. I'm not aware of any way to take them as troops--FA or HS, depending on the codex. The Grot Mega Tank is funny, but I've never fielded it. It's only 12/11/10 with really long sides, so its front armor is almost a non-issue for opposing armies; I'd rather have the mob than sticking all the same Kan weapons in a single basket.

Tuxedo Jack, those look badass! Regarding the glue on the other rescue, I've had nigh-wild success stripping paint off of all sorts of poo poo over the summer by just soaking it in LA's Totally Awesome. It's not that hard on the skin and some of the paint will just slide right off. The only trouble I've had so far is really, really thickly-globbed-on acrylic paint on some Stormboyz. On that note, I have 17 metal Stormboyz and have found no takers so far. I'm gunning for cash to throw at the new models, because 1. they are :krad: and 2. the last thing I want to have to do is paint a ton more samey boyz.

e: I just realized that the only real advantage that Grot Tanks have over TL rokkit Buggies is weapon diversity--grotzookas and KMBs all the hell over. A Grot Tank with a KMB costs the same as a Killa Kan base :psyduck:

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 4, 2014

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't like making Ghazghkull a Lord of War because of the precedent it sets for future codexes. I frequently only take one HQ and if I had to effectively take two to grab something like Azrael or the Swarmlord I just wouldn't bother with them. Not that I do anyway, but at least they're an option. :v:

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

HiveCommander posted:

Sure? Destroying a Lord of War grants a bonus and Ghaz being practically the only model in the Ork codex that isn't ld7 means he becomes your warlord by default.

Your Warlord doesn't need to be the highest Leadership in your army anymore, so Ghaz isn't required to be your Warlord. And the Lord of War bonus is one VP for every three full HP/wounds, so Ghaz only gives up one there even if that is the case. (As I said, it's arguable at this point.) The real penalty is that having Ghaz gives your opponent +1 to Seize, which is rather annoying to deal with.

I won't say I like him being a Lord of War, but it's not half as penalizing as most people think.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

How horrible are X25 stealth suits for the Tau? I found 2 boxes unopened really cheap.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
You know of all the stupid poo poo GW has done, axeing the lost and the damned stings the most to me. I know we already have chaos flavored space marines and eldar so why not chaos flavor imperial guards? They're like the downtrodden everymen of the dark powers its awesome.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Motherfucker posted:

You know of all the stupid poo poo GW has done, axeing the lost and the damned stings the most to me. I know we already have chaos flavored space marines and eldar so why not chaos flavor imperial guards? They're like the downtrodden everymen of the dark powers its awesome.

I remember two years ago when Dark Vengeance was being previewed, I posted that I was underwhelmed by the idea of gun-fodder chaos cultists, and someone said 'You shouldn't underestimate them, the Blood Pact are pretty nasty guys!'

Yeah except the whole point of the Blood Pact (et al.) in the lore is that they're (relative) elites trained according to Imperial Guard principles. Which is exactly what the cultist models didn't look like and what, in fact, they are not. :shepface:

Even just making the Imperial Guard battle brothers with CSM and devoting a few pages of fluff to it in the IG dex would have gone a long way.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

JerryLee posted:

I remember two years ago when Dark Vengeance was being previewed, I posted that I was underwhelmed by the idea of gun-fodder chaos cultists, and someone said 'You shouldn't underestimate them, the Blood Pact are pretty nasty guys!'

Yeah except the whole point of the Blood Pact (et al.) in the lore is that they're (relative) elites trained according to Imperial Guard principles. Which is exactly what the cultist models didn't look like and what, in fact, they are not. :shepface:

Even just making the Imperial Guard battle brothers with CSM and devoting a few pages of fluff to it in the IG dex would have gone a long way.

Personally, viva le difference. I mean sure 'Chaos IG' sounds cool to me but the more unique they make it the more attractive the idea in my book, Also all the fluff points to the fact that like the article states, chaos cultists are both mind bendingly retarded and absolutely brilliant, kinda like orks. And personally Warhammer needs to be more orky.

I mean imagine it: An entire army of the cultist unit from Dawn of War...

Besides cultists aren't completely screwed. They've got the dark gods!! Sure that might mean that they explode violently occasionally or get sacrificed by the score during combat but you know, there's always resurrection... right??

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

At least if The Swarmlord was a Lord of War, they'd probably make him a little better. Right? Right?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Motherfucker posted:

Personally, viva le difference. I mean sure 'Chaos IG' sounds cool to me but the more unique they make it the more attractive the idea in my book, Also all the fluff points to the fact that like the article states, chaos cultists are both mind bendingly retarded and absolutely brilliant, kinda like orks. And personally Warhammer needs to be more orky.

Besides cultists aren't completely screwed. They've got the dark gods!! Sure that might mean that they explode violently occasionally or get sacrificed by the score during combat but you know, there's always resurrection... right??

Well, literally just counting the IG codex statlines as traitor guard isn't my first choice either. I'd love the Chaos codices to have some elite (in the dictionary sense of the term), but non-Astartes, commandoes or sorcerors, with their own culty flavor to them. But as it stands, one's options are bullet-fodder cultists or reskinned IG, nothing in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Motherfucker posted:

we are chaaaaosssss chaaaaooss is sstrooong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JrtFazaS7g

• Locked thread