Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Fayez Butts posted:

There's also this, but it hasn't even made it into the game yet.

The miata and the_meco's Shelby are definitely the best looking car models coming atm:

Ok and these:

Nissan Primera BTCC

787b

Edit: better link for the corvette download http://acusccmod.weebly.com/blog/corvette-dp-beta-released

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Assetto Corsa's going to be the new rfactor

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just with good graphics this time.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
:siren: Assetto Corsa is 50% off ($20) on Steam today :siren:

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Unsure if this is the best thread, but F1 2013 is 75% off on Steam today. What's the consensus on it? I have 2011 and enjoy it, and figure $16 is a fair price for 2013 + Classics packs, but I wanted to get some outside opinions since the user reviews are generally negative.

candy bar
Jan 14, 2008

So is it necessary for me to get a wheel/pedal setup to enjoy these games? If so, which ones are good and where can I get them?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

YALL posted:

So is it necessary for me to get a wheel/pedal setup to enjoy these games? If so, which ones are good and where can I get them?

Not necessary, but it's exponentially more fun with a wheel and pedals. If you have money, the g27 is the best affordable wheel.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Abner Assington posted:

Unsure if this is the best thread, but F1 2013 is 75% off on Steam today. What's the consensus on it? I have 2011 and enjoy it, and figure $16 is a fair price for 2013 + Classics packs, but I wanted to get some outside opinions since the user reviews are generally negative.

I think generally using the word "simulation" in conjunction with a Codemasters product gets you laughed at in most circles. It's not as sim-y as most enthusiasts want.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
I'm aware, but I didn't see a thread for F1 or any Codemasters games.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Nerdrock posted:

I think generally using the word "simulation" in conjunction with a Codemasters product gets you laughed at in most circles.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

YALL posted:

Honestly, I've never had as much fun as I've had with my G27 and playseat. I'm no hardcore sim gamer, though I've been treading out into those waters more and more. I mostly enjoy Gran Turismo style racers, which are at best sim-lite. I love AC, and am looking forward to Project Cars, neither of which I would even consider playing without a proper wheel setup.

But! With the G27 I've found myself enjoying driving games of all scopes. I even bought NFS: Most Wanted, which is by all accounts a terrible, awful "racing" game, but for some dumb reason I have a blast playing it with the wheel. Hell, I may even pick up one of those Euro Truck simulators.

What I found after I bought my G27, is that you can score a good wheel and even seat setup on craigslist pretty easily. These types of things are like the treadmills of the gaming world. People buy them, never really use them, then they sit taking up space until they (or their spouse) insist that they get rid of them. I bought my playseat on CL for $200, and I've seen G27s on there for under that. If you are flirting with the idea of getting either check out the local CL postings.

e: I would consider the G27 probably the most basic wheel worth getting. On Craigslist you will see a lot of Thrustmasters and Fanatecs listed as well, just consult the website. Most any modern wheel is going to have all of the features you want, like 900 degree turn radius, good pedal/shifter options, or decent force feedback.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 27, 2014

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Abner Assington posted:

Does anyone have both and can comment on what changed in the new one?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Google Butt posted:

Not necessary, but it's exponentially more fun with a wheel and pedals. If you have money, the g27 is the best affordable wheel.

These things don't come with a stand, right? So I basically have to buy one of those too?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Mandalay posted:

These things don't come with a stand, right? So I basically have to buy one of those too?

They clamp onto your desk, if you're gaming at your PC. Of course, having a stand and a racin' seat is better, but it works without em (I pretend the wobbliness of my computer chair is ~immersive feedback~).

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I built a cockpit out of PVC and 3/4" plywood based on plans found online, cost like fifty bucks and it's sturdy as hell. It's totally worth buying or building a decent cockpit when you have a wheel, you can really get into it when the wheel doesn't wobble all over the place from a weak mount. The seat cost another 20 or 30 online, it's uncomfortable so I just have pillows on the base and back for now until I get a better seat. A junkyard seat from a somewhat sporty car would work great also.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 27, 2014

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have a wheelstand pro and just sit on the couch. They run around $175 new, but you can find wheel and stand bundles on cl and eBay that are pretty cheap.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

365 Nog Hogger posted:

They clamp onto your desk, if you're gaming at your PC. Of course, having a stand and a racin' seat is better, but it works without em (I pretend the wobbliness of my computer chair is ~immersive feedback~).
I use a cheap rear end Ikea Jeff plastic chair for simracing. Works well enough.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

New Fanatec drivers out of nowhere:

http://eu.fanatec.com/forum/discussion/99/new-driver-version-200-and-csw-firmware-53#Item_2

Looks like it doesn't change anything unless you have the ClubSport wheel, in which case it gives you improved wheel centering and force feedback stuff that doesn't interest me since I can't afford a CSW.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 1, 2014

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I had the best worst idea the other day.

Mario Kart tracks in Assetto Corsa. (or any sim for that matter)

Rainbow Road 64 would be amaaaaaaazing.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ziploc posted:

I had the best worst idea the other day.

Mario Kart tracks in Assetto Corsa. (or any sim for that matter)

Rainbow Road 64 would be amaaaaaaazing.

I would love that but the commenters on racedepartment would rip it to shreds. Even the remakes of the gran turismo tracks like trial mountain get comments like "this is arcade, does not belong in a serious sim like AC"

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

sim racing nerds are possibly the worst loving people on earth. gently caress them, gently caress them forever, ignore them completely.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Moxie Omen posted:

sim racing nerds are possibly the worst loving people on earth. gently caress them, gently caress them forever, ignore them completely.

*unsubscribes from thread*

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

The rear end Stooge posted:

*unsubscribes from thread*

We're sim racing goons. That's a fine nuance that allows us to appreciate great fake courses

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I would drive the poo poo out of a well made Mario Kart 64 in a sim, especially for multiplayer.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

CaseFace McGee posted:

I would drive the poo poo out of a well made Mario Kart 64 in a sim, especially for multiplayer.

Do any PC sims have karts? That's one step in the right direction

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Drunk Badger posted:

PCars does.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Drunk Badger posted:

Arma 3

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Drunk Badger posted:

Rfactor2 supports them.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Serious answer: RF2. And they are awesome.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
How does rf2 compare to AC as far as fun goes? It's kind of a steep price to find out it's not fun

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I prefer rF2 to Assetto Corsa for sure, for the feel and the tracks. The car selection is lacking a bit for me with rF2 - I want more classic touring cars like the Cortina, M3, or stuff like that. The tracks are a blast - there are a lot of great mods, and the ISI tracks are superb. It's more difficult, and more punishing of sloppy driving, but it's much more rewarding because of it.

Also it has karts, and they are fantastic.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

GutBomb posted:

I would love that but the commenters on racedepartment would rip it to shreds. Even the remakes of the gran turismo tracks like trial mountain get comments like "this is arcade, does not belong in a serious sim like AC"

I want tracks that are dangerous to drive on. Anyone got anything for Assetto? Something with lots of elevation changes.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Joux plains if you can find it, nurburgring of course, and id say give dorifto mountain a shot.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Moxie Omen posted:

Train sim people.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I didn't realize there was a free rf2 demo. I grabbed it and loved it, so I bought it. When looking at sites for mods (I am looking mostly for cars but some tracks too) I find it hard to believe no one has put a GT86/BRZ/FR-S into this yet but I'm not seeing any. I am seeing some videos on youtube of them though. Am I looking in the wrong place? Are there mods that are just whole racing series that don't have the cars available separately or something? I'm mostly looking for the road-going version of the car which I understand might be hard to find, but I'm trying anyway.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

OhsH posted:

Joux plains if you can find it, nurburgring of course, and id say give dorifto mountain a shot.

If those are the best suggestions then I'm sad. Because I've already played the poo poo out off all three.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
RAVSim posted an excellent review of rF2's karts: http://ravsim.com/2014/04/11/rfactor-2-virtualises-the-kart/

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Ziploc posted:

If those are the best suggestions then I'm sad. Because I've already played the poo poo out off all three.

I'll start the search for something better.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Ziploc posted:

There's Road America, Gunsai Touge (kind of a rough conversion off-track, but hey, more danger!), Akagi Pass, and Glava Zete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Just tried glava zete, it's a great track if every material change didn't have a chance to stop you like a brick wall. Akagi is great but short, gunsai is also really good and road america is road america, 5 out of 5 would drive again.

• Locked thread