Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My computer's already dead trying to keep my current game going. Going to have to retire this save I guess. :smith:

Also today Australia's Prime Minister put yet another foot in his mouth and claimed Australia was unsettled before the English arrived. One of the rebuttals was this tribal map:

Which is givin me the CK2s bad.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

From the news that leak out to the rest of the world of that guy I think he'd fit right in with the crazy nationalist/racist/misogynic crowd on the Paradox general forums :golfclap:

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
They should borrow more ideas from EU Rome. Sure, it's not as good of a game, but it had alot of flavour and differences between characters and countries.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Can someone tell me why I can't press any ducal/de jure claims even though it shows I can? I'm playing an older version but I don't think this is a bug...

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Is your target the same religion as you, and defending against infidels? If so it will cost you piety to declare war on them, and you have zero piety.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Nope, dude's an Orthodox, currently fighting only Catholics.

EDIT:

Also, my dynasty has been a string of total assholes, despite my greatest efforts to have ONE ruler who everyone doesn't hate by educating them with decent people. The crippled guy was decent, though a kinslayer (got the trait removed by bribing the Pope). But jeez, apparently nature beats nurture, the latest one got excommunicated a while back (bribed the Pope to get it away). If the pope didn't love money the Catholic world would have wiped out my dick dynasty a while back - there's been at least one major revolt with each.

The first one was possessed by Satan (what a great way to start a game!), so it might explain something though.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

Nope, dude's an Orthodox, currently fighting only Catholics.
Show us a screenshot of the guy actual character window and of the south of Sicily? Have you tried saving and reloading?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DarkCrawler posted:

Can someone tell me why I can't press any ducal/de jure claims even though it shows I can? I'm playing an older version but I don't think this is a bug...

Dumb question, but is he independent? If he isn't, you'll have to declare war with his top-level liege.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Toplowtech posted:

Show us a screenshot of the guy actual character window and of the south of Sicily? Have you tried saving and reloading?

The Count of Lecce. There are three other guys who I am supposed to have that casus belli against, not working with them either. Saved and reloaded, no change.

(He is independent.)

EDIT: Just noticed that it works with one of their's liege, who is the Doge of Venice. Not displaying with independent characters though, or when the liege is not a republic. :psyduck:

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 4, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

The Count of Lecce. There are three other guys who I am supposed to have that casus belli against, not working with them either. Saved and reloaded, no change.

(He is independent.)

EDIT: Just noticed that it works with one of their's liege, who is the Doge of Venice. Not displaying with independent characters though, or when the liege is not a republic. :psyduck:

If they have a liege, they aren't independent. You need to declare war on the top liege.

That red X you see against "is independent" on the declare war thing means he is not independent.

Edit- sorry disregard was phone posting and didn't look at your screeenshot showing he is actually independent.

marktheando fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 4, 2014

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

(He is independent.)

Check the province that guy owns, for all you know he is in a truce with the vassal you want to go to war for.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
King of Scotland in 1066 is a rough start for an inexperienced player like me, who wants a bit of a step up from the Ireland game while fulfilling the patriotic urge that I imagine most Europeans who play this game get to lead your own nation to triumph. Right away the Duke of Moray (I think, whoever it is in the north) rebels and his levy equals or exceeds yours and my beloved homeland is all hills so he's got the advantage if he gets to a province first. I think I might just play a minor count instead and support that guy's rebellion. If you help to get a pretender installed does that mean they're on great terms with you if they take the throne?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm sure there's an opinion bonus, but that just means they won't turn around and declare war on you right away. (Probably.)

Actual alliances have to be built on marriages or other dynastic blood ties.

edit: Actually that answer probably doesn't even apply to your specific situation, I was thinking more of "if you personally install someone as a pretender / press their claim." If you're his vassal, participating in his rebellion might just be part of your expected duties.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 4, 2014

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Toplowtech posted:

Check the province that guy owns, for all you know he is in a truce with the vassal you want to go to war for.

He's an independent single province count.

Here is an example of a liege I have the same casus belli against, no option for de jure.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dr Snofeld posted:

King of Scotland in 1066 is a rough start for an inexperienced player like me, who wants a bit of a step up from the Ireland game while fulfilling the patriotic urge that I imagine most Europeans who play this game get to lead your own nation to triumph. Right away the Duke of Moray (I think, whoever it is in the north) rebels and his levy equals or exceeds yours and my beloved homeland is all hills so he's got the advantage if he gets to a province first. I think I might just play a minor count instead and support that guy's rebellion. If you help to get a pretender installed does that mean they're on great terms with you if they take the throne?

Playing the Duke of Lothian and then taking over Scotland from the inside is easier than starting as King of Scots.

DarkCrawler posted:

Here is an example of a liege I have the same casus belli against, no option for de jure.

Take a screenshot of the popup that comes up when you mouse over the 'send' button on the declare war screen, for the single province count guy.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

No if you check the province of that guy, you will have a small window in the province details listing his current WARS and his current truces. From the list you showed in his diplomacy screen he is already AT WAR with some guys who may or not be your vassals. Which would prevent to start a war if they are the guys you can claim for. So click one his province and put your cursor on the war icons and check who he is at war with.

Also that guy in the last screenshot is showing two TRUCES (those little blue flags), once again put your cursor on it and tell us who it is and if it's your claimant (or you).

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 4, 2014

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

So I've been playing this game for almost a year now, and JUST got to Ironman. (Holy hell is Tutorial Island slow... but easy, and it was gratifying to know I can legitimately work my way up to big fish in a small pond.) What this means is before I was basically cheating my way through the game and so there are some really basic things I missed. So questions: if an ally calls you to war, you get a prestige hit for declining. Usually I've accepted, and then just sat on my rear end. Is there some downside to that? Does the AI distrust you or something? I know for Crusades and such you have to actually do the fighting yourself to claim land, but it seems like if I'm the King of Ireland and the King of Croatia calls me into some de-jure war with a Serbian duke, it's in my best interests to smile and nod and keep building castles or whatever.

Secondly, Catholics: I came in late and never really played around with the "vanilla" religion before. First off, holy crap does SoA make them fun, as Catholic character I felt like managing religion was just as important as managing vassals, none of the other religions seemed this intensely game changing. (Maybe Islam with it's decadence?)Anyway, my question - Bishops seem to pay taxes to The Pope on a tie of opinion. Is there any good way to lower their opinion of the pope? I can be super saintly, but if the Pope is just as holy, well, he's the Pope and wins. Also, investiture- I just passed a law for free investiture. I have to wait for the current bishops to die, before my guys get in, correct? I'm assuming they'll still pay taxes to the Pope if they like him more, but they get a big opinion boost for you giving them a bishopric... but if this leads to another 100/100 tie, will they still give their sweet sweet gold to the pope?

Finally, I wanna say it's kind of hilarious how good a move the day one expel the Jews decision is. I'm Jewish, and I've been using it on 100% of my legit catholic starts. Maybe if you're like, a huge duke surrounded by other huge dukes it's not that big a deal, but wow does that merc money let you mow down rival counts.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

marktheando posted:

Playing the Duke of Lothian and then taking over Scotland from the inside is easier than starting as King of Scots.

Yeah, I gave that a go, since that's where I'm living just now. Helped a pretender usurp the throne, lent him my troops in a few wars as he worked to reclaim de jure Scotland, and now my character, the second Duke, is betrothed to his daughter.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Digital Osmosis posted:

So I've been playing this game for almost a year now, and JUST got to Ironman. (Holy hell is Tutorial Island slow... but easy, and it was gratifying to know I can legitimately work my way up to big fish in a small pond.) What this means is before I was basically cheating my way through the game and so there are some really basic things I missed. So questions: if an ally calls you to war, you get a prestige hit for declining. Usually I've accepted, and then just sat on my rear end. Is there some downside to that? Does the AI distrust you or something? I know for Crusades and such you have to actually do the fighting yourself to claim land, but it seems like if I'm the King of Ireland and the King of Croatia calls me into some de-jure war with a Serbian duke, it's in my best interests to smile and nod and keep building castles or whatever.

Nope, no penalty to doing that whatsoever.

quote:

Secondly, Catholics: I came in late and never really played around with the "vanilla" religion before. First off, holy crap does SoA make them fun, as Catholic character I felt like managing religion was just as important as managing vassals, none of the other religions seemed this intensely game changing. (Maybe Islam with it's decadence?)Anyway, my question - Bishops seem to pay taxes to The Pope on a tie of opinion. Is there any good way to lower their opinion of the pope? I can be super saintly, but if the Pope is just as holy, well, he's the Pope and wins. Also, investiture- I just passed a law for free investiture. I have to wait for the current bishops to die, before my guys get in, correct? I'm assuming they'll still pay taxes to the Pope if they like him more, but they get a big opinion boost for you giving them a bishopric... but if this leads to another 100/100 tie, will they still give their sweet sweet gold to the pope?

No reliable way to do it en masse, just hope that a wicked priest gets in. You can use the "Improve Religious Relations" of your court chaplain on one bishop at a time, which has two events: one which adds to their opinion of you, and one which takes away from their opinion of the Pope.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Toplowtech posted:

No if you check the province of that guy, you will have a small window in the province details listing his current WARS and his current truces. From the list you showed in his diplomacy screen he is already AT WAR with some guys who may or not be your vassals. Which would prevent to start a war if they are the guys you can claim for. So click one his province and put your cursor on the war icons and check who he is at war with.

Also that guy in the last screenshot is showing two TRUCES (those little blue flags), once again put your cursor on it and tell us who it is and if it's your claimant (or you).

He is not at war with any of my vassals. The last guy is having a truce with me, which shows with the other casus belli.

I just cheated my way out of the problem though with console :shrug:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
ANyone care to conjecture why my achievements are locked?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

vulturesrow posted:

ANyone care to conjecture why my achievements are locked?

Are your ironman saves local or on the cloud? Is the iron fist icon next to your save? If you hover over the iron man toggle button in the bottom right before you load the game, does it say "iron man is enabled"?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Someone asked this a few pages ago but no one answered - any suggestions for fun things to attempt with Haesteinn?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Digital Osmosis posted:

if an ally calls you to war, you get a prestige hit for declining. Usually I've accepted, and then just sat on my rear end. Is there some downside to that?

Yes - because you're at war, you will be unable to change laws or use many of the Intrigue special options. You'll also still take an opinion hit with the other party and with his allies, just as if you had waged war.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

He is not at war with any of my vassals. The last guy is having a truce with me, which shows with the other casus belli.

I just cheated my way out of the problem though with console :shrug:
Are you playing a mod? I know in some of them (ck2+) you need medium or high crown authority to use your de-jure laims.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Is there a way to force a religious head into enatic succession? Adding a "law = enatic_succession" to the title history doesn't seem to cut it.

Specifically, I've added an 'Ursuline' heresy to the post-apocalyptic America project, which is meant to be a Catholic heresy lead by the Ursuline Order and thus needs to be lead by an Abbess-General or some such workable title. I've defined a title which controls the religion and defined a woman as holder of the title at game start, but (as above) defining enatic succession in the title history doesn't seem to work and I haven't a clue what else to do about it.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

Jedit posted:

Yes - because you're at war, you will be unable to change laws or use many of the Intrigue special options. You'll also still take an opinion hit with the other party and with his allies, just as if you had waged war.

Do you get an opinion hit for declining by just ignoring the pop up window until it goes away?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Anyone seen this before? My capital is still Venizia. I think it happened after I won the kingdom of Jerusalem in a crusade or when I accidentally gave the kingdom away to one of my family members. The castle in the ss says "wrong holder type" capital province. I found a few dead-end posts on the paradox forums for similar issues.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

jerman999 posted:

Do you get an opinion hit for declining by just ignoring the pop up window until it goes away?

Yes.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

Is there a way to force a religious head into enatic succession? Adding a "law = enatic_succession" to the title history doesn't seem to cut it.

Specifically, I've added an 'Ursuline' heresy to the post-apocalyptic America project, which is meant to be a Catholic heresy lead by the Ursuline Order and thus needs to be lead by an Abbess-General or some such workable title. I've defined a title which controls the religion and defined a woman as holder of the title at game start, but (as above) defining enatic succession in the title history doesn't seem to work and I haven't a clue what else to do about it.

I read that as Ursine Order and was hoping that you'd bug Darkrenown to release the secret bear event chain so they could access it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

SynthOrange posted:

My computer's already dead trying to keep my current game going. Going to have to retire this save I guess. :smith:

Also today Australia's Prime Minister put yet another foot in his mouth and claimed Australia was unsettled before the English arrived. One of the rebuttals was this tribal map:

Which is givin me the CK2s bad.

Somebody's had the CK2s bad about this for a while. Looks like it could be fun.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Tsyni posted:

Are your ironman saves local or on the cloud? Is the iron fist icon next to your save? If you hover over the iron man toggle button in the bottom right before you load the game, does it say "iron man is enabled"?

I didn't enable Ironman, I didn't realize that was required to enable achievements.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

According to the Crusader Kings 2 wiki, having the 'Quick' trait will unlock the special tactic 'Clever Ambush', but having the superior trait 'Genius' will not.

Is that working as designed, or an oversight? Darkrenown, Johan, or anyone else in the know care to weigh in?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gimmick Account posted:

According to the Crusader Kings 2 wiki, having the 'Quick' trait will unlock the special tactic 'Clever Ambush', but having the superior trait 'Genius' will not.

Is that working as designed, or an oversight? Darkrenown, Johan, or anyone else in the know care to weigh in?

Just because you're a genius doesn't necessarily mean that you are a quick thinker. I think it's fine that the quick trait is better in one aspect of the game, even though genius is generally superior.

Tevye317
Feb 16, 2012
I've been trying my hand at the Rurik Old Gods start and I have a couple questions.

1) I see a bunch of people say that they can convert by getting a wife or concubine of another religion. I can't seem to find the option to do this. (Convert that is not how to get a concubine.)

2) Do the event ships that Rurik starts with auto-disband once he dies or have I found a recurring bug?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
So let me just chime in to say that conquering India as a Jaina is slow as gently caress.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Are there plans to ever make it possible to tab out of the game on a Mac?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Tevye317 posted:

I've been trying my hand at the Rurik Old Gods start and I have a couple questions.

1) I see a bunch of people say that they can convert by getting a wife or concubine of another religion. I can't seem to find the option to do this. (Convert that is not how to get a concubine.)

You get this option only with pagan rulers, and then only if the character does not have the zealous trait. It is also limited to once in the lifetime of the character. So if your character is Christian, zealous, or has already converted, then you are out of luck. The option should appear in your decisions menu.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 4, 2014

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, uh, do adventurer troops despawn after a while? I've been expanding through the De Jure territories of Persia on my Zoroastrian ironman game, and was actually outnumbering the Abbasid Caliph until he got ousted by an adventurer. Now they've got a 35k doomstack sitting around, which means I have no hope of holy warring them currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Broken Cog posted:

So, uh, do adventurer troops despawn after a while? I've been expanding through the De Jure territories of Persia on my Zoroastrian ironman game, and was actually outnumbering the Abbasid Caliph until he got ousted by an adventurer. Now they've got a 35k doomstack sitting around, which means I have no hope of holy warring them currently.

They don't. They can only be reduced if they die in a war or to attrition.

• Locked thread