Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Ahahaha that GBS thread is great.

Where can I buy 6000 year old yak meat? That'd probably make a hell of a steak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
"waaaaah why doesn't gws cater to my baby tastes and baby needs waaaah salsa crock pot chicken is too hard who even owns a crock pot what am i supposed to be some kinda wizard" (god forbid people are good at a thing and the entire world isn't set up like a video game catering precisely to your current skill level)

or

"i don't have a pantry i just have a freezerful of salted nightmares to get me through the long dark winter, my tastebuds have been cluster-bombed by salt and shredded jack cheese and gray meats for so long that you could probably cook my own recently-severed penis for me this way and I would loving love it as long as I had some packets of Taco Bell's Mild sauce to dip it in"

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah there is definitely no elitism on this forum.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

:gb2gbs:

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

FishBulb posted:

Yeah there is definitely no elitism on this forum.

They say "elitism" I say "stop eating hot pockets before you get heart failure please you have a family people care about you"

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

It looks to me like there's a lot less elitism going on in this subforum than there is anti-elitism going on in that GBS thread.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bombhand posted:

It looks to me like there's a lot less elitism going on in this subforum than there is anti-elitism going on in that GBS thread.

Nicely done. The people going on about GWS are projecting their idea of what GWS is without, it seems, having really spent any time here.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I think the proper thing to do is laugh and move on instead of posting cuss filled rants bout eating habits.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Well, I'm laughing, except it's a bit of a sad laugh because I see a lot of posts in that thread that are made by people who'd probably like GWS if they actually stuck around long enough to realize it.

Especially that one guy who thinks that he'd be run out of here for liking the pulled pork he gets at a local restaurant for cheap.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

bombhand posted:

anti-elitism going on in that GBS thread.

So, they've turned into conservatives :razz:

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Sjurygg posted:

Season 2 of "A bite of China" is on :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rWtMBBY3BE (english subtitles)

Oh man.

I'm not even halfway through S1E1 and this is one of the best things I've seen. Thank you.

TurkeyBalls
Jul 2, 2014
Season 1 is flipping terrific, and is available on some of the TV trackers. Is Season 2 available for the taking somewhere other than youtube?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Sone friends have a place in the country; we are here for the weekend. Their veg patch has rhubarb and strawberries. Aha! Thinks I. Let's make a rhubarb strawberry compote. Aha! Thinks wife. Let's top it with granola and make cobbler. Good thinking all round! I've added a bit of ginger too.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

therattle posted:

Sone friends have a place in the country; we are here for the weekend. Their veg patch has rhubarb and strawberries. Aha! Thinks I. Let's make a rhubarb strawberry compote. Aha! Thinks wife. Let's top it with granola and make cobbler. Good thinking all round! I've added a bit of ginger too.

strawberry rhubarb pie or die

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Croatoan posted:

strawberry rhubarb pie or die

Having cooked it down first it seems like there is too much liquid. Might just eat it mixed with yoghurt and granola, which will be delicious too.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Make strawberry-rhubarb compote, chill, gently fold into whipped cream with maybe a tiny splash of sweet white wine to make strawberry-rhubarb fool and skip that annoying pastry/floury thingy step altogether :coolfish:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sjurygg posted:

Make strawberry-rhubarb compote, chill, gently fold into whipped cream with maybe a tiny splash of sweet white wine to make strawberry-rhubarb fool and skip that annoying pastry/floury thingy step altogether :coolfish:

Just guzzled it with good Greek yoghurt. Was tasty.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Watermelon is native to Africa.

http://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/wmelon/wmhndbk/wmbiogeography.html

Oh my.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

The two that always surprise me are that the potato and tomato are both from South America.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

KettleWL posted:

The two that always surprise me are that the potato and tomato are both from South America.
Chillies come from the Americas too. Columbian exchaaaange.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

dino. posted:

Chillies come from the Americas too. Columbian exchaaaange.

Yeah and the pineapple and sweet potatos and turkeys and all that other stuff, I always remember those. But potatoes and tomatoes seem so intrinsic to European cuisine, not that they aren't present in Latin American dishes as well, but they don't seem to define the cuisine.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

What messes with my head is that chilies didn't arrive in China until the 17th century. I mean...what did people in Sichuan eat before then?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

KettleWL posted:

Did you not see "The Wonderful Potato" when you were a kid?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Sjurygg posted:

What messes with my head is that chilies didn't arrive in China until the 17th century. I mean...what did people in Sichuan eat before then?

My thoughts exactly. And what of Korean food? They love their loving chili paste. Or Thai? A variety of chili peppers seen very ingrained in various Asian cuisines. I suppose the lesson here is the big changes happen quickly when new ingredients are introduced?

Hell, India seems to really like potatoes, too, and that's pretty goddamned far from The Andes. The gifts of New World spread far and fast!

Sjurygg posted:

I'm surprised that your recipe doesn't contain fish. :colbert:

As for rhubarb, my all time favorite is my mom's rhubarb cobbler. Super low effort, takes like five minutes to throw together, and the results are fabulous.

quote:

Fruit cobbler (you can use a variety of fruits, but IMO rhubarb is best. Sometimes I do strawberry rhubarb.)

2 cups fruit: peeled, paired, sliced
¾ stick of butter
1 cup sugar
¾ cup milk
¾ cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
dash salt
cinnamon (optional, depends on type of fruit)

Preheat oven to 350°
Melt butter in pan (glass or ceramic casserole works well – can do it in oven as it preheats).
Combine all ingredients except fruit (don't over mix).
Pour batter into the butter puddle in the middle of the pan. DO NOT STIR!
Dump fruit on top of the batter. DO NOT STIR!

Bake for about 1 hour. Serve warm, with ice cream if desired.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 6, 2014

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Squashy Nipples posted:

I suppose the lesson here is the big changes happen quickly when new ingredients are introduced?

I have always assumed that spicy food was popular in Asia way before chillies were introduced, with pepper, mustard, horseradish, wasabi etc and that the introduction of chillies just made it easier to add spiciness, rather than that the whole cuisine changed after chillies arrived...

Are there any food historians on GWS?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Sjurygg posted:

I wonder the same with chillies. Indians freaking love their chillies. I guess that is why South Indian food still relies so heavily on black pepper. It likely took longer for the chillies to percolate south. That said, Andhra is absolutely nuts for chillies. I cannot imagine their food without loads of the stuff.

The Chinese seem to love corn, and that's as American as it gets. I'm sure potato starch and such were a thing, but you see so many dishes where cornstarch is the only thing that works.

In Sichuan, they'd have used Sichuan pepper and black pepper, which are both still used there.

Think of Ireland or England without potatoes. It seems inconceivable. Or the people living in the Americas without horses. It boggles the mind.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Scientastic posted:

Nevermind

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 6, 2014

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

dino. posted:

The Chinese seem to love corn, and that's as American as it gets. I'm sure potato starch and such were a thing, but you see so many dishes where cornstarch is the only thing that works.

Sweet potatoes! The Chinese and Koreans freakin' love sweet potatoes. They dry them sliced and grind them into flour for pancakes or flatbread, candy them, deep-fry or stir-fry them, bake them, simmer them into soups and stews... Mostly it's "home" style cooking so you'll hardly see Chinese sweet potato dishes in restaurants in the West, or in China for that matter. But they're one of the absolutely major sweet potato growers and consumers on the planet.

Two things the Chinese did have for heat, Sichuan peppercorn is one, the other is ginger which is legit burning hot in itself. Add chili and you get the magic trinity. White peppercorn is also popular, it tastes horrible by itself but light dustings of it can make all the difference.

God drat I love me some chilies, my newest indulgence is cream cheese sandwiches with minced Thai birdseyes on top :kimchi:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Scientastic posted:

I have always assumed that spicy food was popular in Asia way before chillies were introduced, with pepper, mustard, horseradish, wasabi etc and that the introduction of chillies just made it easier to add spiciness, rather than that the whole cuisine changed after chillies arrived...

I hear you, and a few others have made similar arguments... but there just isn't anything quite like chili peppers, you know? I can see the popularity catching on pretty quickly as soon as there was supply.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Scientastic posted:

I've done a bit of work in nutritional anthropology and ancient human (Neandertal, erectus, habilis) diet and my primary focus in college was animal use on archaeological sites. That's mostly prehistoric, but I find food history and culture in general pretty fascinating.

And yeah my understanding is the piquant spices like pepper, mustard, and Sichuan peppercorns were used heavily in regions that now also use chiles. Someone should do a paleoethnobotanical study of 14th century Sichuan-area houses and see what comes up - we might get some surprises as well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://reasoniamhere.com/2013/09/24/why-10-of-the-population-hates-cilantro-and-the-rest-doesnt-know-any-better/

CILANTRO SOAP TASTERS REJOICE! YOUR LONG-SUFFERING NIGHTMARE FINALLY HAS SCIENCE-TIFIC BACKING

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

don't forget citrus. That's from china. Imagine Latin American food without citrus.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

don't forget citrus. That's from china. Imagine Latin American food without citrus.

Imagine California without citrus.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

http://reasoniamhere.com/2013/09/24/why-10-of-the-population-hates-cilantro-and-the-rest-doesnt-know-any-better/

CILANTRO SOAP TASTERS REJOICE! YOUR LONG-SUFFERING NIGHTMARE FINALLY HAS SCIENCE-TIFIC BACKING
That thing has a half dozen citations, none of which involve the conclusion it's reporting.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

It doesn't taste like soap or anything to me, but I'm not a huge fan of cilantro. Incorporated into salsa or guac it's fine, but keep whole leaves off of tacos and sandwiches, please.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

esperantinc posted:

It doesn't taste like soap or anything to me, but I'm not a huge fan of cilantro. Incorporated into salsa or guac it's fine, but keep whole leaves off of tacos and sandwiches, please.

Cilantro Is Great.

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

esperantinc posted:

Cilantro owns.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

all hail cilantro!

hurrah! hurrah! hurrah!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Not this again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
purge the cilantro haters from the gene pool imo, but Unironically