Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
How long does it take to find opponents in Agricola typically? I've tried quick match but it never seems to work and it seems like all the games up the people are offline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Summoner Wars has a 9 faction + Mercenary Pack 1 bundle on sale for a mere $1.99!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So they finally updated it and fixed it?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

DarthXaos posted:

How long does it take to find opponents in Agricola typically? I've tried quick match but it never seems to work and it seems like all the games up the people are offline.

Are you trying to do a close to real time game? I've never had trouble finding opponents within a reasonable amount of time, but I'm always looking for games with long turn timers so "reasonable" to me usually means within a day or so.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Paradoxish posted:

Are you trying to do a close to real time game? I've never had trouble finding opponents within a reasonable amount of time, but I'm always looking for games with long turn timers so "reasonable" to me usually means within a day or so.

What is the etiquette for online board games? do you try to get a game done within a single day or can they be given up to a day per turn or how does it work?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

shaitan posted:

What is the etiquette for online board games? do you try to get a game done within a single day or can they be given up to a day per turn or how does it work?

For Playdek games (and most decent async games) the host can set a per-player turn timer, so I just respect that. If I'm joining a four player Agricola game with a 15 day turn timer then I pretty much expect that game to be going on for the next two months, even though I'll try to take my turns a lot faster than that. I don't think there's really a need to follow any particular etiquette aside from taking your turns whenever you can and not joining games where you know the turn timer is too short to fit into your schedule.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Paradoxish posted:

For Playdek games (and most decent async games) the host can set a per-player turn timer, so I just respect that. If I'm joining a four player Agricola game with a 15 day turn timer then I pretty much expect that game to be going on for the next two months, even though I'll try to take my turns a lot faster than that. I don't think there's really a need to follow any particular etiquette aside from taking your turns whenever you can and not joining games where you know the turn timer is too short to fit into your schedule.

Excellent thanks. I just got my playdek account straightened out so I'll be able to finally play some online games this weekend

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

JHVH-1 posted:

Summoner Wars has a 9 faction + Mercenary Pack 1 bundle on sale for a mere $1.99!

Deal over already :/

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Generally I'm pretty skeptical of kickstarters but Pocket Tactics has reviewed these two and they seem cool enough to discuss.

Battle for Sector 219 is a sci-fi version of the two player WWII card-based boardgame (and iOS app) Battle for Hill 218. Battle for Sector 219 will be ported to mobile by the same company, Large Visible Machine, so that is promising.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/ios-news/king-hill-battle-hill-219-kickstarter-includes-ios-version/

I'm one of those minority players that doesn't like deckbuilding games, however Core Worlds may change that. The hook is that you use the deckbuilding mechanic to build your space fleet and conquer peripheral worlds while on the way to the core world.

The Kickstarter is reportedly half way to its required 20K funding.

http://www.pockettactics.com/news/ios-news/par-core-core-worlds-digital-kickstarter-launches/

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Lost Cities is still one of the best paper games and one of the best digital versions of paper. 'k, carry on.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
I don't recall seeing this in here, so: The crappy web-based version of Dominion is being rewritten in Unity, for the web as well as phones and tablets. I hope it feels as good as Hearthstone does. I also hope they revisit their insane pricing structure.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

cbirdsong posted:

I don't recall seeing this in here, so: The crappy web-based version of Dominion is being rewritten in Unity, for the web as well as phones and tablets. I hope it feels as good as Hearthstone does. I also hope they revisit their insane pricing structure.

What's insane about their pricing structure? $45 for every Dominion card is a bargain, especially if the new app works better.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Crackbone posted:

What's insane about their pricing structure? $45 for every Dominion card is a bargain, especially if the new app works better.

When you want to play with your family online because it's simply faster, it would cost $180 which is ridiculous.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Lorini posted:

When you want to play with your family online because it's simply faster, it would cost $180 which is ridiculous.

No it doesn't, as long as the player hosting has purchased a set, it's available for anybody in the game they set up.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Crackbone posted:

No it doesn't, as long as the player hosting has purchased a set, it's available for anybody in the game they set up.

Man! Thanks for telling me that, we'll be playing a ton more now!!!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
war were declared

I was going to remark at how it got so nasty, so early, but I forgot how short this game can be with no expansions enabled.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 17, 2014

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
What ever happened to the good old days of a nice friendly game of Carcasonne. I'll build my cities over here, you build over there and at the end of the game we'll count up our points bro.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
They were ditched long ago in favor of the meeple graveyard as seen above.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Bummey's salt-the-earth playstyle has grown immensely in popularity among goons, a group of gamers with a well-established predilection for griefing.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Beelzebozo posted:

Bummey's salt-the-earth playstyle has grown immensely in popularity among goons, a group of gamers with a well-established predilection for griefing.

It's not griefing it's just good strategy

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

EightFlyingCars posted:

It's not griefing it's just good strategy

It's also the proper, interactive way to play, as opposed to everyone playing Ye Olde SimCity in their respective corners of the playfield. :colbert:

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I would play Ye Olde SimCity. SimCity 1066.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Bummey posted:

war were declared

I was going to remark at how it got so nasty, so early, but I forgot how short this game can be with no expansions enabled.

I'm up for the next time of classic Carc. I have yet to invest in any of the expansions. :(

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
How are there people who haven't been playing like that from the start? Carcassonne isn't Weeabooville.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Nybble posted:

I would play Ye Olde SimCity. SimCity 1066.

so, that Banished game.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

How are there people who haven't been playing like that from the start? Carcassonne isn't Weeabooville.

What does this even mean?

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Zigmidge posted:

Playing carc on iOS is a very different experience than the cardboard version. Information is much easier to get at, and you have as long as you want to analyze it. Playing the physical version, especially when you haven't played hundreds of games, tends to be a much more casual affair. The physical version has been around forever and has a reputation as a more casual game. So it's not surprising many people play it that way, they probably have for years.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Bummey posted:

I barely know. I saw someone else use the word weeaboo and thought I'd give it a spin.

All I meant was blocking in carc is such an elementary strategy to winning I'm amazed there are posters who never do. Or worse, call it griefing.

Quickpull posted:

Playing carc on iOS is a very different experience than the cardboard version. Information is much easier to get at, and you have as long as you want to analyze it. Playing the physical version, especially when you haven't played hundreds of games, tends to be a much more casual affair. The physical version has been around forever and has a reputation as a more casual game. So it's not surprising many people play it that way, they probably have for years.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

When the game automatically tells you what tiles are left, and when a spot will never be filled, it leads to more intense competition in the digital version, since that level of poo poo is limited to card-counting spergs in the tabletop version.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

I barely know. I saw someone else use the word weeaboo and thought I'd give it a spin.

All I meant was blocking in carc is such an elementary strategy to winning I'm amazed there are posters who never do. Or worse, call it griefing.

Weeaboo is like otaku, a japanese culture obsessed nerd, and makes no sense in that context.

Ever play Scrabble in real life? Ever play Words With Friends? Same thing. Before Internet scrabble no one (except super needs who weren't fun to play with anyways) would try and pull that qi poo poo, or the other thousands of nonsense two letter tournament dictionary words that every WWF player relies upon. Just like you don't like the little British man in the computer tabulating remaining tiles, unplayable moves, on the fly and perfect scoring, etc. People can be much more civil in person, too, and playing for fun is more common than playing to win.

It's a completely different experience in every way.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 17, 2014

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Foehammer posted:

When the game automatically tells you what tiles are left, and when a spot will never be filled, it leads to more intense competition in the digital version, since that level of poo poo is limited to card-counting spergs in the tabletop version.

So let me get this straight, nobody turns off the impossible moves option, nobody played to block in the physical version and only those who card count ever blocks?

None of this thread makes sense to me. Block in the physical, block in the digital. It's quite simple, you guys, and has really nothing to do with the culture of your medium.

Bummey posted:

It's a completely different experience in every way.

Carc never changed for me because it went onto my ipad??

e: Oh and blocking is for hardcore spergs who don't have fun, got it. I hate ios threads. You guys are the worst.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 17, 2014

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Blocking via robot-level knowledge of all possible remaining tiles is pretty spergy, yeah. Blocking by surrounding things or opening cities back up when they were almost closed off is different.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Zigmidge posted:

e: Oh and blocking is for hardcore spergs who don't have fun, got it. I hate ios threads. You guys are the worst.

Chill out man. No one is calling you a sperg. We play it the same way you do. You're just exaggerating everything we say into some black and white statement. People play games different ways, and different formats encourage different styles of play. That's all that was said. There's no reason to get so hostile.

Edit: Re-reading it. The basic confusion seems to be the definition of the "salt the earth" style. You interpreted that as "blocking is bad". But what we were really refering to is using the advantages of the iOS version (complete knowledge of the deck, the time to test every play, the game calculating and showing you blocks) in order to play with a level of aggressiveness that is not possible in the physical version.

Quickpull fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 17, 2014

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

You're right. I am riled up about a boardgame. Foehammer keeps qualifying his use of blocking and sounding like an idiot and I'm letting it get under my skin.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What the hell does the phantom even do? I still can't figure it out even after reading the in-game instructions. Did I pay 99 cents for a transparent game piece?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What the hell does the phantom even do? I still can't figure it out even after reading the in-game instructions. Did I pay 99 cents for a transparent game piece?

When you put a follower on a tile, you can also put the phantom on a separate feature of the same tile.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

The iOS implementation makes Carc more fair. This way you don't have to count tiles and you don't have to know what's still possible and what's not, although I've played the digital version so much I can play the physical game just as well. When you turn off the ability to determine what's left and what causes an X you'd better be a really good player, personally I'd never agree to it on principle.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Foehammer posted:

Blocking via robot-level knowledge of all possible remaining tiles is pretty spergy, yeah. Blocking by surrounding things or opening cities back up when they were almost closed off is different.

Foehammer posted:

Whenever I've played carc irl with anyone we check the manual on occasion to see how many of certain tiles there are ingame. It's not precise, it's just hmmmm will there be any chance for pieces with a path bend for this road I'm making later? There's not many types of pieces and it's not hard to count.

There's not much strategy without knowing whether you might or might not have a chance of completing a feature.

It's not sperging to actually think about what might happen in the future when you place a tile because you're playing a board game.

And placing features so that opponents can't finish features is how you play the game, no one ever said it was mean or anything because again it's just a game.

carc was never a "nice" game.
I don't know maybe it's different with expansions, I've never used any.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Woah it's like everybody has different play styles and you're all agreeing with each other and blocking anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

There is only one way to play Carcassonne and it is to try and gently caress over Bummey as much as possible.

• Locked thread