Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

spudsbuckley posted:

Huh, didn't really expect him to get fired.

I suppose some FM station will pick him/them up for a fraction of what they currently earn for the name alone and they'll be forced to do pretend-edgy horribleness.

I expect him to start a podcast, it seems like that's what all exiled radio guys do now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Tomahawk posted:

You totally have that freedom, and the media totally has the freedom to report on your publicly aired racist tirades and your boss totally has the freedom to fire you when you are a public figure in his company. Literally no one is defending the woman who attacked him and nothing will happen to her because Ant refused to press charges.

And I totally agree with that too, I was just trying to explain where CQ is coming from. Coming off of just seeing unconstitutional, CQ definitely hates the apology culture and would rather people be more open and honest about their feelings on race so we can actually address it and go somewhere with it.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Some South American tribe is gonna get a nice batch of Opie hashtag t-shirts!

Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2679686/Radio-host-unleashes-racist-Twitter-tirade-punched-face-black-woman-Times-Square.html

quote:

On Friday, a spokesperson for SiriusXM said that the rant was 'abhorrent' and 'wholly inconsistent with what SiriusXM represents'.

'SiriusXM has terminated its relationship with Anthony Cumia of the Opie & Anthony channel,' Patrick Reilly said. 'The decision was made, and Cumia informed, late Thursday, July 3 after careful consideration of his racially-charged and hate-filled remarks on social media.

Legit fired.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

"SiriusXM has terminated its relationship with Anthony Cumia of the Opie & Anthony channel. The decision was made, and Cumia informed, late Thursday, July 3 after careful consideration of his racially-charged and hate-filled remarks on social media. Those remarks and postings are abhorrent to SiriusXM, and his behavior is wholly inconsistent with what SiriusXM represents."

^Bah.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Aww gently caress it, beaten.

Time to listen to some old clips.

Yo, Jason A. Yieter! Love ya, miss ya, brother!

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Visidan posted:

"SiriusXM has terminated its relationship with Anthony Cumia of the Opie & Anthony channel. The decision was made, and Cumia informed, late Thursday, July 3 after careful consideration of his racially-charged and hate-filled remarks on social media. Those remarks and postings are abhorrent to SiriusXM, and his behavior is wholly inconsistent with what SiriusXM represents."

Funny that they didn't have a problem with him broadcasting those exact views in those exact words on their service for the past 5 years.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

ozza posted:

Funny that they didn't have a problem with him broadcasting those exact views in those exact words on their service for the past 5 years.

All it was going to take was a few media services starting to cover it. he's frankly lucky he made it this long.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

The Dave posted:

He's still been with them long enough to make a decent living and if he can't manage on his own by this point he doesn't deserve it.

Thanks dad but it was more of a comment on Jimmy's curse of being involved with canceled/tanked projects

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Anthony was entirely free to say what he did. And Sirius was entirely free to fire him because he's a PR nightmare.

Nether are being arrested. Freedom of speech not infringed. It's not political correctness. Ant and everyone defending him are idiots.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I hope Rockstar has some open positions so the rest of the staff can find work.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Jimmy: You're a high profile radio host.
Anthony: Dude, I can't take it anymore!...Martyr me, dummies! MARTYR ME!!

So it was spoken...:catholic:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Greg and Jim show with frequent appearances by Long Island Tony

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Reddit's O&A sub is amazing with their crying about the firing. It's just the mean old media branding him a racist.

edit: "as a showfriend louie needs to step up and use his influence to put an end to this loving madness, he is the only one with the crossover appeal who can do it. even still his career is probably over as well once they start digging into his appearances"

Yeah there's some fan fiction for you.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I presume the show will keep going with a rotating crew of regular comedians.

It'd be hard to get one of them to tour as little as Jim does to do the show so I don't see Ant being completely replaced by someone unless it's Ron or maybe even Sam. It would have to be someone who is already part of the extended O&A crew.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I wonder if they are even going to try to cry about "free speech"...

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

mcmagic posted:

I wonder if they are even going to try to cry about "free speech"...

They do every time one of their friends gets fired. They should take a loving high school government class.

King Dead
Apr 13, 2011

Tomahawk posted:

Literally no one is defending the woman who attacked him.

I am. The white supremacist libertarian millionaire got what he deserved by the same people he so dearly hated.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
The Opie and Sam show for sure.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
He's there question I want to know. Is he too offensive for even Fox News to hire...

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Tomahawk posted:

You kid, but Anthony drove me away when he started going on daily 45 minute racist, right-wing rants when Obama got elected. I'm actually a lot more likely to listen again with him gone.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

Anthony was entirely free to say what he did. And Sirius was entirely free to fire him because he's a PR nightmare.

Nether are being arrested. Freedom of speech not infringed. It's not political correctness. Ant and everyone defending him are idiots.

And let's not forget that Ant is a victim in his own mind here. "I won't press charges because OF OUR SICK SOCIETY, MAN! I'M JUST A LOUSY ESCAPE-GOAT!"

The woman won't be charged because nobody called the cops. Nobody even filed a report. There's a drat picture of her floating on the Internet making for a very easy identification and the only thing stopping Ant is because black people have it easy in society? loving. Delusional. It staggers the mind how far Ant has gone when he brought this all on himself. Yet it's everybody else's fault.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Reddit's O&A sub is amazing with their crying about the firing. It's just the mean old media branding him a racist.

holy lmao they are literally retarded:

quote:

How are they not addressing that Anthony took to words instead of shooting her. He decided to not be dumb and vent in the most harmless way possible...

quote:

It's funny. He was armed and would have been within his legal right to kill this woman.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
why is nobody talking about the fact that anthony could have harassed and killed a woman, but instead decided to simply harass her? punchin out

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Lovechop posted:

holy lmao they are literally retarded:

Just wait until you see their hamhanded ways of trying to deflect yesterday: "This is nothing, it'll be gone, it's a holiday weekend!" "Okay, let's stop posting so Ant doesn't get into any more trouble!" "I'm going to cancel my sub, that'll show Sirius, and all of his guests should vocally speak up for him!"

Yesterday, someone mentioned that they were an O&A fan until they went to an event and saw the hardcore fans. I'm feeling the same way here. Nothing is funny about a bunch of bigots who crave and view victimhood as a Get Out of Jail Free card for whatever ignorance they spout.

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.

mcmagic posted:

He's there question I want to know. Is he too offensive for even Fox News to hire...

Stuntbrain is one of the top guys at Glenn Becks network, maybe he can get a show there. I think they even have a much bigger studio and even video streaming.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Amphion posted:

Stuntbrain is one of the top guys at Glenn Becks network, maybe he can get a show there. I think they even have a much bigger studio and even video streaming.

Ahh thats the perfect landing spot for him. Glenn Beck's network.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I feel bad. Ant is a tremendously talented guy, but he's gotten so far off the rails that this was inevitable. Hopefully this is some sort of wakeup call and Ant can get his head screwed on right.

Are they supposed to be back on Monday? Think I'll get a trial subscription just to hear that.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

A Fancy Bloke posted:

You kid, but Anthony drove me away when he started going on daily 45 minute racist, right-wing rants when Obama got elected. I'm actually a lot more likely to listen again with him gone.

I'm kidding about nothing, Sam Roberts is probably the most likely candidate for the job given that he now has multiple radio shows. And I'm in the same boat as you, I'm cautiously optimistic but I would start listening on a daily basis again if this ends up being beginning of a new era where the show is funny again.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Ahh thats the perfect landing spot for him. Glenn Beck's network.

That's like my other option. When you're too extreme for Fox.

TL posted:

I feel bad. Ant is a tremendously talented guy, but he's gotten so far off the rails that this was inevitable. Hopefully this is some sort of wakeup call and Ant can get his head screwed on right.

Believe me, those kinds people will continue to exist in their bubble

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
This is just so god drat funny. Just like how Bobo's fugitive bit ended, you simply could not have made up how Anthony's radio career ended.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

People on reddit were saying that the Joan Rivers thing was going to save Anthony and once Monday rolled around he would be safe.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Stotty posted:

I hope Rockstar has some open positions so the rest of the staff can find work.

Well, I'd imagine E-Rock will find work pretty soon, if Opie and Jimmy don't keep the show going. The boys have more or less credited him with keeping the whole show together for years, and I do remember one episode when Opie said if the show ever ended all of a sudden, E-Rock would be back at work at Sirius within a week.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Tomahawk posted:

I bet Sam sent that lady down there to cause all of this just to get Ant's spot.

loving Sam. That sponge haired freak!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Tomahawk posted:

This is just so god drat funny. Just like how Bobo's fugitive bit ended, you simply could not have made up how Anthony's radio career ended.

You'll see him again, you guys, awright? He'll r'bound from this.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

A black man being elected and then re-elected President literally slowly drove a radio personality insane until he finally snapped, publicly harassed a black woman, got beat up, got laughed at, went on a racist tirade on Twitter, and then got fired.

The greatest Independence Day

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

If you want to read conservatives defending anthony

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/07/04/radio-host-anthony-cumia-from-opie-and-anthony-says-hes-been-fired-for-a-twitter-rant/

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Chris James 2 posted:

A black man being elected and then re-elected President literally slowly drove a radio personality insane until he finally snapped, publicly harassed a black woman, got beat up, got laughed at, went on a racist tirade on Twitter, and then got fired.

The greatest Independence Day

This needs to be a god drat movie.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Peter North posted:

You can almost officially say it. Twitter killed the Opie and Anthony show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

LOL

• Locked thread