Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Throatwarbler posted:

that's not some ghetto hack repair, the bumpers are actually attached like that from the factory. The factory zipties...

AHahaha Factory Zip Tie

They're not even trying at this point, are they?

Maybe invest in some of these

I still can't get over the factory zip tie, are there any other models that come with factory zip tied bumpers or is the Journey special that way?

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Whoa.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hahah what the gently caress, that's seriously the factory repair?

They can't even find an unthreaded screw? I'd just wrap the drat thing in electrical tape before putting the ziptie back on.

Can't wait until the ziptie finishes eating through the FRP bumper cover, bet it's making one hell of a stress riser.

The screw itself is also quite rusty as you can see in the photo. I guess when it rusts enough to break off, you'll have to drill another screw into the frame an inch off to the side?

Not shown: The 2.7l V6 under the hood.

The warranty is up this year so it may surprise you that we are selling it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

The factory zipties

Clearly, Freiburger and Finnegan have a day job at FCA.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
gently caress that, I'm gonna go get a job at FCA. I can't possibly do a worse job, and I'd get to drive a camo'd up Fiat Panda to work.

Here's my idea: airbags that smell good, like lilac. The steering wheel seals the airbag in like a ziploc bag so you can change out the smell whenever. Wheels are attached to the hub by friction, like Lego.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
This is what happens when the drift crowd gets old enough to start getting up the ladder at these companies.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, it's not half-assed and hacked together.

It's drift spec™

I believe british leyland pioneered that trend sending cars out with mismatched wheels.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Bajaha posted:

I still can't get over the factory zip tie, are there any other models that come with factory zip tied bumpers or is the Journey special that way?

I'm a long-time Chrysler owner. You mean there are other cars that *don't* have bumpers held on with zipties from the factory? :v:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
In Detroit's heyday the installation of at least 25% of the zipties on each car would've been forgotten

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Throatwarbler posted:

Yes, maybe it wasn't clear but that's not some ghetto hack repair, the bumpers are actually attached like that from the factory. The factory zipties broke off after about 18 months, the car is a MY 2011 and this is the second set of new zipties. Just get them done during regular oil changes.

EDIT: Imported from Detroit. :italy: :hf: :mexico:

Hahaha what the gently caress, even bricklins are put together than that. I would expect that kind of shenanigans from a low quality kitcar manufacturer, not a major OEM.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

kastein posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress, even bricklins are put together than that. I would expect that kind of shenanigans from a low quality kitcar manufacturer, not a major OEM.

We are talking about Dodge/Chrysler here. They're just competent enough to slap parts together in a way that mostly looks like a car.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

ExplodingSims posted:

We are talking about Dodge/Chrysler here. They're just competent enough to slap parts together in a way that mostly looks like a car.

Given badge engineering (which Chrysler did not invent but definitely perfected), they ARE a low quality kitcar manufacturer.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm a big Chrysler apologist and there is no Chrysler car to bad for me to defend.

Our Dodge Journey is getting the rear bumper re-attached under warranty again.

You can see how the bumper is starting to bulge out.

this is because the bumper is fixed to the car by the use of a zip tie looped around a metal screw drilled halfway into the frame rail on one sie, and a bare rear end hole on the other. The zip tie is no longer present.

Putting on a new one

finished.

Other side

I suspect the old ziptie was no longer present because small movements had caused it to rub against the bare metal screw until it broke and fell off. The bumper subsequently starts to buckle out of shape. This is the 2nd time now, I can't help but think there is a better way of attaching body panels to cars. :unsmith:

Are you sure that's the factory install, and not some dodgy dealership fix to cover up some in transit/parking lot damage from before you bought it? Like, have you checked other dodge journeys?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Linedance posted:

Are you sure that's the factory install, and not some dodgy dealership fix to cover up some in transit/parking lot damage from before you bought it? Like, have you checked other dodge journeys?

Apparently there is no actual clip or 'factory' attachment point up there and it's common for the bumper cover to pop out like that, that must be the dealers recommended fix. From a website I found one persons dealer attempted to epoxy that part of the bumper cover in place... Jesus.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Linedance posted:

I looked around a bit and I don't think this is actually a factory thing. It's just a hack to fix the bumper popping out since it doesn't have anything from the factory holding it on in that area.

This is kind of hard to see but it doesn't look it has any mounting in that area. So the plastic bumper probably warps after a while and starts to bulge out there.

*beaten immediately*

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is just absolutely the worst thing I've ever seen. What really bothers me is that noone at chrysler aftersales could be bothered coming up with a better solution than cable ties. Practically any other brand would've come up with some sort of retro-fittable bracket or something associated with the TSB.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Throatwarbler posted:

The factory zipties

The factory zipties
The factory zipties
The factory zipties
The factory zipties

:psyboom:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Superior American adhesives zip-ties.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Even then, why not use the stainless steel zipties?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ExplodingSims posted:

Oh, I know. I own a pile of chryco era jeeps. I just expected slightly better than that.

Like, say, anything but a cable tie.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well, I guess it was the dealer all along! We were going to get a Honda for the next vehicle but thanks to this thread my faith in Chrysler has been restored.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

my faith in Chrysler has been restored.

We have created a monster. :stonk:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Any bets on how long the Fiat/Chrysler marriage will last?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Linedance posted:

There isn't a scratch or dent on the bumper itself, so there was no reason to suspect that kind of damage, and I can't really see how any sort of impact would make the buckle up like that anyway, and well, when I saw it, I guess it just didn't surprise me that Chrysler would do something like that from the factory. :v:

No I didn't ask them to take apart someone else's truck for me to confirm.

Valt posted:

I looked around a bit and I don't think this is actually a factory thing. It's just a hack to fix the bumper popping out since it doesn't have anything from the factory holding it on in that area.

This is kind of hard to see but it doesn't look it has any mounting in that area. So the plastic bumper probably warps after a while and starts to bulge out there.

*beaten immediately*

I think you guys are right although that picture is showing the bumper from the 2013+ refreshed version which isn't the same part. They might be different but probably aren't.

kastein posted:

We have created a monster. :stonk:

Just kidding! We never lost faith in Chrysler and would have bought another one, but Chrysler doesn't make a Honda Fit competitor so eh.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm sure the dealer is perfectly willing to find a damaged Honda Fit at auction, slap a Dodge Avenger logo on the back and apply zipties to the rear control arm.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Throatwarbler posted:

Just kidding! We never lost faith in Chrysler and would have bought another one, but Chrysler doesn't make a Honda Fit competitor so eh.

Obviously the answer is a Fiat 500L.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

We rented a car and they gave us a brand new Chrysler 200 (like, 200 miles on it). It broke down to where it wouldnt start. Not that I would have purchased a 200, but after this I wouldnt want to rent one in the future.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Das Volk posted:

The factory zipties
The factory zipties
The factory zipties
The factory zipties

:psyboom:

They are called Drift Stix and are all the rage in Japan right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Any bets on how long the Fiat/Chrysler marriage will last?

Fiat keeps buying more and more share of the company, they want the whole pie.

So, forever?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Rhyno posted:

So, forever?

Wasnt that the Daimler-Benz mindset too?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Was too slow to get a picture but just saw a Toyota Cellica with three giant vinyl stickers of some Asian woman's face stuck on the side, another on the back, and I'm assuming more on the passenger side. They weren't even arranged in any particular way, just slapped wherever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Wasnt that the Daimler-Benz mindset too?

No, they just wanted to strip anything of value that they could and then dumped Chrysler on the street like a cheap whore. Fiat seems to really want Chrysler and their brands for realsies.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The European car market is making GBS threads the bed, with very little chance of a turnaround. The US won't have a functioning public transit system for another 40 years, until the republicans all die.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Rhyno posted:

So, forever?

Then they should keep the Jeep and minivans and dump all the cars. Into an active volcano.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

The European car market is making GBS threads the bed, with very little chance of a turnaround. The US won't have a functioning public transit system for another 40 years, until the republicans all die.

Personal car ownership beats taking public transit anyhow

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

Personal car ownership beats taking public transit anyhow

Yeah. But that doesn't help car makers in Europe. Even if the economy does recover, attitudes and habits won't.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Then they should keep the Jeep and minivans and dump all the cars. Into an active volcano.

The Hellcat says you are wrong sir.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Are pickups with Lambo doors a thing now? Or is it an old truck and I missed the trend? Cause I just saw one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Mercedes had a functioning car company behind it and grabbed Chrysler because they thought it was a bargain, then dumped it when it apparently wasn't. Marchionne is frantically trying to use Chrysler to make a crumbling Fiat stable.

Also chuckling at the suggestion that the terrible and growing worse EU car market is in any way related to public transit