Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Rinkles posted:

Jace and Chandra look like cosplay dorks to me. Jace especially.

They're animes. Of course they look like cosplayers.

Obscil fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Eeevil posted:

Is being easy to cosplay as something that typically makes a character less popular?

I don't like Jace's design much (nm the hair) and Chandra's just rather inoffensively generic. Doesn't mean they don't appeal to others.

Obscil posted:

They're animes, of coure they look like cosplayers.

Was that an experiment for Wizards? Did it work?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 4, 2014

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

C-Euro posted:

I like all the little artifacts peppered throughout the room. Also, I see Emrakul outside :ohdear:
Emrakul being outside puts a different spin on Tibalt's expression. "Guys, there's a big tentacly thing out here. If you could let me in, guys, that'd be nice. Guys, I think it's going to eat me! Guys?"

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Master of Predicaments: The wording on this card is pretty dubious. As it stands, the controlling player is under no obligation to reveal the chosen card. He or she may simply run out a card in their hand for free that does not match the opponent's prediction.
Is the controlling player required to segregate the chosen card from the rest of their hand until end of turn? That seems like the most appropriate thing to do.

I have a hunch that the game rules, floor rules, or both will be updated to reflect this. Probably something like "When a player chooses a card in a hidden zone and does not immediately reveal that card, the player must physically separate that card from the other cards in that zone for as long as the choice is relevant." Otherwise it would be too easy for a fast-fingered player (coffcoffLongcoff) to 'choose' the correct card.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
The Japanese version of the Jace vs. Chandra duel decks featured anime styled art for Jace and Chandra. It was meant to tie in with a manga about the two character that was made. The manga was pretty bad from what I've heard. But, they have continued to make duel decks, just without the manga tie in. Although a later version of Jace also resembles an anime with his hair. So, I guess it didn't pan out. We may see them try something like that again, but so far those are the only two anime styled cards.

Obscil fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 4, 2014

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Sleepy Owl posted:

I found a similar one a while ago

I don't like Garruk here... he seems kind of small?

Isn't Garruk bigger than Ajani?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
How does the Hall of Fame ballot work? Looking through the list, there seems to be a number of players who were suspended at one time or another for cheating and such. I guess Wizards just doesn't care about that sort of thing?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

qbert posted:

How does the Hall of Fame ballot work? Looking through the list, there seems to be a number of players who were suspended at one time or another for cheating and such. I guess Wizards just doesn't care about that sort of thing?

It doesn't exclude you from the hall of fame if that is what you are asking.

technolizard
May 19, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Was that an experiment for Wizards? Did it work?

I don't know too much about it, but I have a friend who has both planeswalker cards. Sometimes just having the alt art and foreign language is enough for people to want them.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Sleepy Owl posted:

This is my playmat. I want that Orlando one too.

Tarngarth is holding a card for urza.

Edit: probably cadaverous bloom

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sleepy Owl posted:

Is there a website that makes custom playmats of anything despite copyright issues?
Because I want that as a playmat.

That or the art from that new white spell of the armored dude covered in magical shields

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Molybdenum posted:

This is my playmat. I want that Orlando one too.

I was going to post this picture with the comment that one of our legacy regulars has this playmat.

... you're not him, are you?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

I'd post this in the limited thread, but it seems more for current active formats and M15 still has a few weeks. Sol Malka is a local player and just posted this to the local facebook group about his opinion on M15. He's gone into Limited only for a while now, and I've only beat him once off the back of being a lucksac.

Sol Malka posted:

What a wretched set for Limited.

Black is totally busted. Value left and right (Gravedigger, Sign in Blood and Mind Rot at common), with only three clunkers (lifelink aura with no built-in buff, double Raise Dead convoke for 5, -1/-1 to EOT for all nonblack for 3) and even some of those are conditionally playable. Force it in draft. Choose black at the prerelease. Cut your Accursed Spirits there because everyone else will be choosing Black too.

Blue, in contrast to M14, is practically unplayable. Just look at those commons:
Two bounce spells with inherent card disadvantage. I thought Peel was overrated in Ravnica and that's when damage stacked. Folks, you rapidly hit the wall on how many of this effect a deck can realistically play (1 is ideal. 2 is pushing it. 3 is insane.)
A slightly improved Griptide - at six, sans convoke.
A dedicated mill card.
A vanilla 1/1 for 1.
An instant that takes away power (not toughness) for the turn.
A four-mana counter with conditional minor upside. Good luck leaving mana up for this with no good instant alternatives at common. Bone to Ash was solid in Dark Ascension because you also had a 2/3 flash flyer and Griptide at 4.
Negate, which interacts with roughly one-third to one-quarter of the spells in a competently-built Limited deck.
An aura which grants unblockability, usually, without an accompanying P/T boost or other upside.
That's half Blue's commons right there.
Strictly a support color. If you've got more than seven Islands in your deck, your deck probably isn't very good.

Having one bonkers color plus one miserable color makes Limited get stale pretty fast.

Red has some solid stuff but many more of the red commons than usual are strictly aggressive, which further robs the set of some depth.

The mana diversification is pretty bad, too. Evolving Wilds is awesome, but look at the rest:
Meteorite - Manalith (which was hardly desirable) for two more mana that shocks something when it ETB. Perfect for Stormtide Leviathan or In Garruk's Wake decks, comparable somewhat to Flamecast Wheel otherwise.
Verdant Haven - Vomit. I hate it when they staple some trivial upside onto a fairly-costed mana card (here, Fertile Ground) and make us pay more mana for it (see Peregrination vs. Kodama's Reach). The infuriating part of RTR block draft was keeping 2 land and a Cluestone and bricking twice (or 3 times on the draw). Verdant Haven does a great job of recapturing that experience.
A convoke Explosive Vegetation for 5. In other words, Veggies at the original Veggies price but you have to tap a creature. You're never casting this on turn 3.
Satyr Wayfinder - respectable, but considerably less reliable than just G1, 1/1, search a basic land into your hand.

These are my initial impressions. I hope I'm not spot-on. Otherwise, it's Theros block and flashback drafts for me until Khans of Tarkir.
Hoping he's wrong, it looks fun to me.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Nope. Built a burrito, haven't played it. They sell them on eBay periodically. "Get there games"; located in one of the Carolinas I think

Edit: sorry "get some game"

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 4, 2014

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

Count Bleck posted:

Is there a website that makes custom playmats of anything despite copyright issues?
Because I want that as a playmat.

That or the art from that new white spell of the armored dude covered in magical shields
I Googled the Artist's name, looked at his dA and found the image. He has a link for the playmat.
http://www.getsomegame.com/catalog/custom_playmats-random_designs/an_old_walker_in_need/124937

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

minusX posted:

I'd post this in the limited thread, but it seems more for current active formats and M15 still has a few weeks. Sol Malka is a local player and just posted this to the local facebook group about his opinion on M15. He's gone into Limited only for a while now, and I've only beat him once off the back of being a lucksac.

Is it the same Sol Malka who made the original Rock back in like 1997? That's actually kind of cool that he still plays.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

minusX posted:

His arguments seem a little faulty. Gravedigger is actually an uncommon, Mind Rot has always been a 23rd card, and Sign in Blood, though good, is still pretty even with Divination. Also I don't know what he has against Verdant Haven, which has always been solid.

I'm most frightened of white, myself. Triplicate Spirits seems surprisingly close to Battle Screech, especially in a format with Raise the Alarm.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

minusX posted:

I think it looks fine. Some people want different things out of limited or may not like how design has changed. Design is much better now than it has been in a long time. Keep in mind, when one color looks to be very powerful, it is often correct to draft less powerful colors. If the meta/word on the street is "black is OP" then other colors are often open more, and you can pull together a better blue/X deck and beat the 2 or 3 people who are fighting for black cards in a pod. I think all colors/combinations have viable strategies. In a vacuum, black might be more powerful, but at a table with the packs you are picking from who knows?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Elyv posted:

Is it the same Sol Malka who made the original Rock back in like 1997? That's actually kind of cool that he still plays.
It is! He does a lot of limited events these days and destroys them

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I think he has the main point right (black looks strong, blue looks weak), but a lot of hyperbole in the mix. As mentioned, he's misreading Gravedigger and I think also overevaluating something like Mind Rot, and conveniently forgetting poor black common creature like Black Cat being there to eat up space. And honestly I'm interested to see how Unmake the Graves plays, because unlike Raise Dead it is an instant.

Also the notion that lack of fixing is worrying is a bit strange. The best core set we've had so far is generally thought to be M13, and it had the grand total of Evolving Wilds and Farseek for the common fixing tools. Verdant haven doesn't replace Farseek for sure, but I don't see the fixing massively worse.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

minusX posted:

We're going to find out who's right once we actually play the format but I can't really agree with him. Black seems pretty good but I have no idea why he thinks it's far and away the best color. The kill spells are nothing exciting this time around - not bad, but nothing exciting and depending on how fast the format is Ulcerate might actually be quite bad. Gravedigger is great but got moved up to uncommon, Sign of Blood is awkward unless you are heavy black and no one should ever get excited for Mind Rot. He says Black only has three clunkers, but Black Cat, Blood Host, Carrion Crow, Feast on the Fallen, Leeching Sliver, Shadowcloak Vampire and Wall of Limbs all range from very mediocre to bad in my opinion. I do agree with him that Blue seems very unexciting.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
His argument that difference in power level == poor draft environment is wrong. Draft formats are self correcting. If one colour is over powered, more players within a table will be picking cards from that colour and the power is distributed. You could make a sick white deck in M14 for example since everyone 'learned' to avoid white and you would get passed serra angels. It's all relative.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Yeah I don't understand his harping on there being 'bad' mana-fixing in coreset limited of all sets. When has that ever been a focus in core sets, and having Evolving Wilds as a nice catch-all fixer available to all colors seems more than fine. Since when do core sets look to reliably support decks with more than 2 colors?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
He says there are "two bounce spells with inherent card disadvantage" at common. Did he not even read Void Snare? Returning any nonland permanent for 1 mana is nuts, even if it's only at sorcery speed. And I noticed he utterly neglected to mention Welkin Tern, which is 2 flying power for 2 at common. And when has Blue ever gotten spells that reduce toughness at any time since Legends or The Dark?

This guy sounds like the kind of guy who gets mad at apples for not being oranges.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Well I don't think Void Snare is much. Not being an instant loses it a ton of utility, as it is it pretty much is something you play only if your deck is really, really willing to trade card for tempo (Void Snare opponent blocker, develop your board). I'd much rather have Unsummon if given choice, being able to target non-land, non-creatures is generally less relevant.

Into the Void at uncommon is nice though, always like multiple bounces.

He didn't list Welkin Tern, because he clearly listed what he thought were weak/unplayable blue commons.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
How can a thing look like a cosplayer if it only looks like itself ???

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I always try to play the "bad" colours in a draft. Since people try to stick to archetypes hard in my LGS.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I will never cast one of those souls in a non limited format... They suck.

Really? I think they're all underrated now. The big thing is that they're all 6/6 with a relevant ability for 6 mana and you can usually get 1-3 cards out of them from the graveyard. They're late game plays, sure, but that's never been that big of a black mark.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
for him to complain about M15 as a lovely draft environment and then end with I'll stick with Theros block drafts is :ironicat: beyond belief

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Kasonic posted:

How can a thing look like a cosplayer if it only looks like itself ???

For example, Garruk looks like a cosplayer. Garruk is 8'2" and 480 pounds. That guy at the table is a 15 year old wearing his weird uncle's bear rug on his shoulders. I think Jace looks fine, but I thought Chandra's hair is only supposed to be fiery when she's doing crazy pyromancer stuff? It makes it seem like a wig which supports Cosplayer.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Either way, Jace looks shonen as gently caress. I'm waiting for him to give speeches about teamwork and friendship.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Gensuki posted:

I don't like Garruk here... he seems kind of small?

Isn't Garruk bigger than Ajani?

Garruk's stupid huge: 7'10 and 450 lbs. Ajani is just a sizeable, overmuscled human at 6'6 and 250 lbs.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Garruk's stupid huge: 7'10 and 450 lbs. Ajani is just a sizeable, overmuscled human at 6'6 and 250 lbs.

...I think you have those mixed up, also I checked his DotP bio thing and Garruk is listed at 8'2". Ajani is not in the game like that though...

EDIT: oh, wait, the Ajani numbers are right and ajani is in the game like that. It's just calling ajani human threw me off...

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 4, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

kingcobweb posted:

Those $1 packs are cards that most places have trouble giving away. At CK, we'll throw 8k cards into the recycling bin at once. We don't give a gently caress about bulk that doesn't even sell as bulk.

Our store sends junk to a local middle school. Kids make lovely decks with their free cards, then go to FNM and get stomped, then buy cards from the store. It's the perfect scheme.

Swagger Dagger posted:

I don't know why they reprinted Urborg but it makes me happy. This almost feels like a greatest hits of Magic Lore set.

They didn't reprint Urborg. I wish they actually reprinted Urborg.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

Is there any reason to do that? I can only think if we have another set where infect strategies are big and first strike is a bigger deal.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Apparently the average male southern African lion is something like 6-8 feet long and 400 lbs. Ajani is smaller than an ordinary lion. It makes sense since he stands on 2 feet but that still seems weird to me.

magicalblender
Sep 29, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

I have good news for you. They did reprint it! :)

edit: oh, are we talking about literally Urborg? That would be a blast from the past.

magicalblender fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 4, 2014

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

magicalblender posted:

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

magicalblender posted:

He means this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sen-dart
Oct 9, 2012
How often do you think the wrong Urborg is going to be named when casting Pithing Needle on Modo to turn of an Underworld connections during super standard? (only case I could think of were this might realistically occur)

• Locked thread