Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
In honor of Maybe Post 1000 of this thread and of julyfour.us, here is an email I received this morning.

mayone.us posted:

Dear MoveOn member,

This is Harvard Law Professor Lawrence Lessig.

Since the early 1920s, aviators and mariners have used the word MAYDAY to signal distress.

On the sea, when another captain hears that call, there is an obligation to lend aid.

At MayDay PAC, we are calling a MAYDAY on this democracy. Americans from across the political spectrum believe our government is broken. More than 90% of us link that failure to the role of money in politics.

And yet our politicians do nothing to break that link. Instead they spend endless time raising campaign funds from the tiniest fraction of the 1%.

Our democracy is held hostage by these funders of campaigns. We have announced a plan to get it back.

Learn more in this video, and please let me know if you're interested in being part of this.

Several years ago, I decided to give up my work on copyright and Internet policy and take up the fight against corruption.

I started collaborating with others on the best way to build a grassroots movement around campaign finance reform. Washington won't fix itself—the people need to take action.

That's why we created MayDay PAC, an ambitious "Super PAC to end all Super PACs" that will make reform a 2014 campaign issue. We've raised millions so far, shocking the political world.

Can you watch this video explaining MayDay PAC, and let us know if you'd be interested in supporting this effort?

With hope,

Lawrence Lessig

Note: Larry Lessig didn't pay us to send this email—we never rent or sell our list. We're helping build support for the MayDay SuperPAC because of MoveOn members' long involvement in fighting big money in our politics. After you watch Larry's video, you'll have a chance to support MoveOn as well as pledge to help launch MayDay.

Want to support our work? We're entirely funded by our 8 million members—no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. Chip in here.
PAID FOR BY MOVEON.ORG POLITICAL ACTION, http://pol.moveon.org/. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee. This email was sent to you on July 4, 2014. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
I haven't seen any mention of this in D&D and am not sure this warrants it's own thread. (Or I'm just too lazy to make one.) However, the Mayday PAC pledge drive ends today and is $750k from it's goal:
https://mayday.us/

It's an interesting approach to fixing money in US politics founded by the always amazing Lawrence Lessig. I've donated $200 to it.

Edit: ^^^^ hehhehehe

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Oh, so they changed the url to mayday.us now?

So much for all of our mayonnaise jokes :(

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

confused posted:

It's an interesting approach to fixing money in US politics founded by the always amazing Lawrence Lessig. I've donated $200 to it.

Why? Didn't you see that Brian Boyko thread?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

it's real stupid and an example of the lack of imagination and guts of americans and maybe even of the modern citizen in general

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Oh, so they changed the url to mayday.us now?

So much for all of our mayonnaise jokes :(

Their Twitter handle is still @MayOneUs

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

confused posted:

I haven't seen any mention of this in D&D and am not sure this warrants it's own thread. (Or I'm just too lazy to make one.) However, the Mayday PAC pledge drive ends today and is $750k from it's goal:
https://mayday.us/

Edit: ^^^^ hehhehehe

I'm afraid I have some unfortunate news to share.

why was this thread never goldmined

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Oops. Didn't see it. Didn't come up when I did a search.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
To celebrate America I am drinking a microbrew beer and just finished eating burgers made of buffalo, the most American of all dishes :cheers:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

That really does deserve a goldmine.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

R. Mute posted:

it's real stupid and an example of the lack of imagination and guts of americans and maybe even of the modern citizen in general

It'd the domestic political equivalent of an international dissident group protesting american military hegemony by building a small conventional army. Protesting a rigged game by increasing your participation in it just lends it more legitimacy, and even if every disgruntled voter contributed as much as they could it'd still be a tiny super PAC. That's why PACs exist; it puts the political battle into a medium entrenched interests can't lose.

It's possibly the dumbest moderate-left movement yet, but thanks to Boyko and now Jack loving Abramoff it's also the funniest.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Xylo, why have you not goldmined this thread yet?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

corn in the bible posted:

So I guess if you used Tor or ever looked at their website you're now considered an extremist by the NSA. That's nice.

Why do you think the Navy let it be released for public use in the first place dude?

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Breakfast All Day posted:

It'd the domestic political equivalent of an international dissident group protesting american military hegemony by building a small conventional army. Protesting a rigged game by increasing your participation in it just lends it more legitimacy, and even if every disgruntled voter contributed as much as they could it'd still be a tiny super PAC. That's why PACs exist; it puts the political battle into a medium entrenched interests can't lose.

It's possibly the dumbest moderate-left movement yet, but thanks to Boyko and now Jack loving Abramoff it's also the funniest.

Wow I didn't realize how futile life is! Thanks for pointing it out. Off to go kill myself.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

confused posted:

It's an interesting approach to fixing money in US politics

FWIW WolfPAC has gotten bills passed in two States already (California(!) and Vermont) and has a bunch of others in process around the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiiOUp-V6-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6k7cL3z0Bk

http://www.wolf-pac.com/the_plan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_PAC#Process_of_adoption

quote:

Wolf PAC is an American political action committee formed in 2011 with the goal of "ending corporate personhood and publicly financing all elections in our country", to include the restriction of large monetary donations to political candidates, parties, and groups.

Cenk Uygur of The Young Turks is one of the driving forces behind it, and while I know a lot of people here dont like him hes got a hell of a megaphone.

quote:

The Young Turks claims to be "the world's largest online news show"; YouTube video views stood at a total of 1 billion in April 2013.

quote:

It was announced on July 30, 2013 that The Young Turks launched on Roku with the TYT Network.

quote:

In April 2014 The Young Turks launched on Hulu as a channel.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

confused posted:

Wow I didn't realize how futile life is! Thanks for pointing it out. Off to go kill myself.
a really bad response this. wow. man. whoa. bad. bad. awful.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

R. Mute posted:

a really bad response this. wow. man. whoa. bad. bad. awful.

Wow! Another reason to end it all. Better end it sooner. Switching from pills to jumping off a building.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

This might arguably be the stupidest thing I've ever put into words, but ever since I took an elective on Buddhism in college, I made this idiotic association. Specifically, when we discussed Zen disciplines that try to use koans and deprivation meditation to induce spiritual 'leaps' in the form of moments of clarity, often nonsensically but mutually understood, the first thing that came to mind were forums like FYAD. Generally nonsensical, often to the point of incomprehension that on rare occasions lead to memetic transcendence.

...People gave me scholarships :shepicide:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

confused posted:

Wow! Another reason to end it all. Better end it sooner. Switching from pills to jumping off a building.
it's just that you didn't get what breakfast all day was saying and that you immediately got all pissy. don't kill yourself, it's okay to be wrong.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013

liberals are so loving stupid

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Aurubin posted:

This might arguably be the stupidest thing I've ever put into words, but ever since I took an elective on Buddhism in college, I made this idiotic association. Specifically, when we discussed Zen disciplines that try to use koans and deprivation meditation to induce spiritual 'leaps' in the form of moments of clarity, often nonsensically but mutually understood, the first thing that came to mind were forums like FYAD. Generally nonsensical, often to the point of incomprehension that on rare occasions lead to memetic transcendence.

...People gave me scholarships :shepicide:

i think you should post this in fyad

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

R. Mute posted:

don't kill yourself, it's okay to be wrong.

Stan Smith would disagree.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

goatse.cx posted:

liberals are so loving stupid

Two sides of the same coin.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

ThirdPartyView posted:

Stan Smith would disagree.
i don't know who that is

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

R. Mute posted:

i don't know who that is

American's greatest hero. :v:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

oh.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Swan Oat posted:

Aside from the Acela high speed rail that connects NYC and DC, Amtrak is slow and expensive. However, Vox dot com content editor Max Fischer had a twitter meltdown last night because his train had to stop due to the hurricane, so I wholeheartedly support and love Amtrak now.

also is it more lf to support france or germany in the world cup please help me d&d

Amtrak is nevertheless often significantly less expensive than the private passenger services ever were, inflation adjusted. It's also faster than most people think, a lot of perceived slowness comes out of the fact the lines are often indirectly routed to avoid troublesome terrain, and station stops on long distance routes are often quite long to ensure all passengers and luggage can be transferred on and off.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Amtrak. It's Joe Biden approved!

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Nobody I know takes Amtrak any more, ever since the BoltBus was introduced. :(

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Literally the only time I've taken Amtrak in recent memory was when I needed to get back to Irvine and was stuck in San Diego without a car.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

The Kansas City - St Louis line is pretty good.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSi-1-2ndVQ

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Amtrak is nevertheless often significantly less expensive than the private passenger services ever were, inflation adjusted. It's also faster than most people think, a lot of perceived slowness comes out of the fact the lines are often indirectly routed to avoid troublesome terrain, and station stops on long distance routes are often quite long to ensure all passengers and luggage can be transferred on and off.
The Boston to NYC and Washington DC trains stop in Stamford CT and are typically an hour or two late by the time they get there, that's where my perception of slowness comes from.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nintendo Kid posted:

My perception of Amtrak being terrible comes from the fact that it's faster and more convenient to take the bus, and parallel comparison to, say, France, or Israel, ffs.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Amtrack is more comfortable than the bus and usually cheaper than air. Plus you can walk around, visit the observation car, get drunk, etc. You can also sometimes find good deals on sleeper rooms. Plus I like it cause it's kind of romantic.

Also there's a nice song about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvMS_ykiLiQ.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GWBBQ posted:

The Boston to NYC and Washington DC trains stop in Stamford CT and are typically an hour or two late by the time they get there, that's where my perception of slowness comes from.

The commuter rail operators tend to get in the way on that section of track, with Metro-North having explicit priority over its section. On time performance tends to be much higher between Philly and NYC in particular, and as far as NYC-Washington.

Incidentally, Amtrak is looking into long-term planning for an alternate route from NYC to Boston by way of Hartford and Springfield that avoids the congestion of the commuter rail lines on the current NEC between the two cities. It would be in some ways a revival of an older service Amtrak discontinued on most of the same route in the 80s, however it'd be fully built to the higher speed rail specs the line between Newark and DC is.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

My perception of Amtrak being terrible comes from the fact that it's faster and more convenient to take the bus, and parallel comparison to, say, France, or Israel, ffs.

Depends on the city pair. A lot of city pairs are significantly more expensive by bus than Amtrak.Sure if you're hopping between major Northeast cities there's a lot of routes available and lots of seats at cheap prices; but start trying to get to the Midwest or something and prices increase almost as fast as the routes available decrease.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 5, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sharkie posted:

Amtrack is more comfortable than the bus and usually cheaper than air. Plus you can walk around, visit the observation car, get drunk, etc. You can also sometimes find good deals on sleeper rooms. Plus I like it cause it's kind of romantic.

Well, for me in Albany, having to take at least two buses to the other side of the river just to take the train down to NYC isn't worth it when I can take one bus to Greyhound, then a bus to NYC. Much cheaper, too. It would be great if they hadn't moved the station across the river, but there you are. I guess I shouldn't fault Amtrak, it's the US's inability to understand that passenger trains can't work well if they're not where people without cars have easy access to them. But to hell with the carless, right? No car, no rights.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Depends on the city pair. A lot of city pairs are significantly more expensive by bus than Amtrak.
Name a pair.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004

Sharkie posted:

The part about drinking can not be over stated. You can bring booze onto the train and be drunk the whole time and as long as you aren't throwing up on other people/being a drunken rear end in a top hat then it's no big deal! If you can take the time to travel by train you should. We have a pretty country. You should see some of it (while drunk and talking to all the random strangers from the elderly retired people to the crusty punks to the military dudes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Blacksburg, VA to Pontiac, MI, for instance. That's one I recently traveled, at the time the Amtrak fare was $89 while Greyhound wouldn't go lower than $119 and required 6 transfers (in part because you had to get your own way to the nearest city with a greyhound stop) instead of just 4.

Also Albany got screwed because the bankrupt railroads preceding Amtrak closed down direct rail access to Albany from NYC the cheap way several years before Amtrak could step in and save the route.

• Locked thread