Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
My parents almost lost their new Fusion to flash flooding last night in NJ, not five minutes earlier I drove through the same spot and noticed nothing out of the ordinary aside from the skies spreading the proverbial buttcheeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

leica posted:

HAPPY 4TH JERKS

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ft-x-5-ft-american-flag-96723.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiOTE0MjM1NTciLCJza3UiOiI5NjcyMyIsImlzIjoiNi45OSJ9

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

cursedshitbox posted:

I'm going to be single too. wanna get together sometime? :quagmire:

I'll help you with your leak if you help me with mine.

Hell yea, sweetie ;) Help me plug my rear main seal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phone posted:

But tell me how you really feel about the difficulties associated with writing for Clark Kent.

I will cut you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Only 3 foot by 5 foot? it's almost like you don't even want to defeat communism.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Speaking of bad managers, my last line manager was an insane micro-manager and had to account for every second of my day. He'd get really upset if I agreed to do any task no matter how small and trivial for someone else without getting his express permission first because I was his "resource", even if it would have made no difference to me getting stuff done that day. It didn't help that we had no real planning going on so every job was sprung on me out of the blue.

Now I've switched departments but still sit opposite. Oh you need me to do a quick CAD job? Sorry you'll have to ask my manager. :jerkbag:

Bad managers make everything poo poo.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Does HB run some legit July 4th sales? Because I need some torx wrenches thanks to a...purchase.

(E39 540i 6-speed holy poo poo my finances)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

Does HB run some legit July 4th sales? Because I need some torx wrenches thanks to a...purchase.

Be sure to drop into the BMW thread to tell all the 3 series scrubs how poor they are.

And to tell us about how much you love fixing it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The paradox is that the 5 series is going to make me poor :aaaaa:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, but at least you won't be advertising that you are.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PaintVagrant posted:

They have some coupon specials but Dollar Days starts the 15th and has way better deals.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
All you other sys admins:

Just to warn you, if you have a file server running Windows Server 2012 with any of the service packs, there is a bug in the server service (lanman) that will cause SMB shares to start failing, all other services (iSCSI/RDP/Terminal Services/etc.) will function as normal, but your DNS name may no longer resolve properly.

Check out KB2955163. There is no official fix yet.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 4, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

So a new potential job has popped up for double what I make now + full benefits. But if I take it and it doesn't work out I'll be hosed. New job would be pretty active, lots of walking, heavy lifting and my leg acts up if I stay on my feet too long. It's sill very tempting because gently caress this gay comic bullshit.

How frequently will pre-pubescent children pester you about Pokemon cards at this new job? I think you have your answer.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ordered parts (dealer only) to do front struts on the Protege.

One pair each of struts, bushings and upper turn plates.

$750 after discounts. :emo:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

So a new potential job has popped up for double what I make now + full benefits. But if I take it and it doesn't work out I'll be hosed. New job would be pretty active, lots of walking, heavy lifting and my leg acts up if I stay on my feet too long. It's sill very tempting because gently caress this gay comic bullshit.

Aren't there plans for a move in the future for you?

I was able to drive to the store and back without stalling out the Outback. :feelsgood:

My shifts still need some work but that'll come with time.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Happy 4th, jerks.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I have an honest question for those of you that drive manuals. When you bought your first car with a stick shift, how much experience did you have driving it? Also, did you drive it off yourself stalling the whole way or have someone else pick it up to avoid horrible embarrassment?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I had learned on a motorcycle. While a motorcycle shift is different (you use the friction zone instead of using it more like a switch, and it's linear), it got me used to the finer points of driving a stick, like selecting gear in traffic, learning when to shift re: a turn, learning when it's okay to pop it into neutral vs when I should keep it in a gear, etc.

That being said, I learned to drive a manual on a kind of "I need to drive this right now, it's an emergency!"-basis. I was moving, and my father let me borrow his pickup (1983 Ford Ranger with the 2.0, the gutless wonder), and I was leaving the next day and both my parents were at work. Learning because you have to in a trial by fire worked out, actually.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mariooncrack posted:

Aren't there plans for a move in the future for you?

12-18 months at the earliest.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
My dad scared the poo poo out of me when teaching me to drive stick. He told me if I slipped the clutch like I did on my dirt bikes it would burn it up in no time. This fact, combined with the twitchy-throttled inline 6 in the jeep I was learning on, made learning a bitch. Only after my dad told me "hey you can slip it a little bit to get started, don't just let it out as fast as possible" did it click. After that, it's cake. Had I been put in the car alone (like, say, if I bought one) I think it would have taken much less time to learn.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Elmnt80 posted:

I have an honest question for those of you that drive manuals. When you bought your first car with a stick shift, how much experience did you have driving it? Also, did you drive it off yourself stalling the whole way or have someone else pick it up to avoid horrible embarrassment?

I'd driven my brother's Audi once or twice in a parking lot. I then flew to Utah, picked up by car (Legacy GT, which has a poo poo clutch and shifter) and drove to California while attempting not to stop on hills.
By the time I got to CA, I'd pretty much figured it out. Then I drove it to Minnesota. By then I was okish.

It honestly isn't that hard.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

I learned on a tractor. If you dumped the clutch it would pop a wheelie, you'd fall off the back, and then you had to run after it because the fucker was unstallable.

You learn real quick that way.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Elmnt80 posted:

One day my stepdad was going to the store in his pickup and I asked if I could come (wanted to grab a soda or something) and he said "sure, but you have to drive". I'd never driven stick before then*, but I got to learn on the way to the store and back, in traffic. Then a couple months later, I ended up getting that same truck when my my parents divorced. Been driving sticks ever since.

*Was already familiar with the general principles from riding old dirt bikes and poo poo, but the controls in a car and on a bike are fairly different for shifting.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 4, 2014

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fucknag posted:

Ordered parts (dealer only) to do front struts on the Protege.

One pair each of struts, bushings and upper turn plates.

$750 after discounts. :emo:

Ouch.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I learned on a tractor. If you dumped the clutch it would pop a wheelie, you'd fall off the back, and then you had to run after it because the fucker was unstallable.

You learn real quick that way.

I see one more thing we have in common.

I learned stick as a kid. first car was a 4 speed manual.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Happy America day, everyone, where we celebrate our choice to buy superior, foreign cars. :fsmug:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

You're worrying too much. I had about five years of actual stick driving under my belt when I bought my MS3 and I still stalled it coming off the lot.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Elmnt80 posted:

I learned to drive stick with about 5 hours of instruction from a friend in his car one afternoon. Bought my first manual transmission car two years later. Driving it home was a bit rough as I didn't quite have the hang of rev matching yet, but I never stalled it. However, I may be an anomaly since I've never had a problem hill starting or any of the other "typical" manual driving challenges, so eh.

I've been driving manual for a number of years now and every so often I'll still stall it doing something stupid, so I wouldn't be worried about it or embarrassed. Treat it like a learning experience.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Get used to making the shifts nice and crisp, getting used to the clutch engagement point, then minimize using the clutch as much as possible. The less you slip it the longer it will last.

Stalling will happen, hell if I go from the BMW to the Miata, I'll either stall it or slip the clutch too much because of how different both cars are.

I put the car in a lower gear and clutch out before the turn, lots of people will clutch out mid turn, I learned not to do this by driving in the snow, as you'll end up swapping ends.

I also like the cheater way of hill starts by using the parking brake (if it is hand operated). This further minimizes slipping the clutch.

You could always throw on a lightweight flywheel and unsprung 6 puck clutch on a heavy pressure plate, that'll teach you not to slip the clutch :v:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
As my father said, if you're not stalling it occasionally, then you're not driving it right and/or slipping the clutch too much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I get distracted by shiny poo poo every day and stall at least once.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 215 days!)

Rhyno posted:

I get distracted by shiny poo poo every day and stall at least once.

Oh, Wolverine! :swoon:

:regd08:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I learned how to drive stick when I was 16, but since my grandparents went through several different cars with manual transmissions when I was a kid I had some practice earlier than that-my grandma would let me shift for her when she was driving with me. It was really :3: and it still makes me smile.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I first learned to drive stick on what is now my daily driver, back in 2005 or so when I first started driving. My mom taught me, it went pretty smooth except for a particularly embarrassing moment when I couldn't get it moving for like five minutes... until we both simultaneously realized I had it in 3rd, not 1st. :doh:

Of course, a year later when i was alone I attempted to do a burnout: Full throttle and slipping the clutch. Smelled fantastic. The clutch died a few months later at 30k and that's when we got a Taurus for me to drive. :bravo:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

A buddy of mine "taught" me to drive stick in a mid-70s Mustang/Pinto-type thing. He told me that the way to do it was to just rev the piss out of it and dump the clutch. That worked fine and got the car moving.

However, less than a week later, I was doing some yard work with my family and we borrowed a neighbor's farm truck. I said that I now knew how to drive a stick and jumped in the driver's seat with my dad in the passenger seat... and my mother and dog sitting on the open tailgate.

The only other thing I remember after starting the truck as I had been taught is seeing my dog literally roll off the tailgate and pick himself up off of the road.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Dogs love trucks!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I don't know why my differential hates me so much, Every god drat step of the way it has tried to kill me. I almost regret not just swapping out a junkyard diff and selling the truck.

It's gonna end up at $700 in parts and $300 in tools, but i'll take $300 in tools over $1200 in labor.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 5, 2014

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I learned stick in Costa Rica on my honeymoon. Rental car was driven to our B&B by a nice guy and his wife and hey look, a manual.

I formally apologize to the great people of Costa Rica for the two weeks that followed.

Also the Daihatsu Terios. I'm sorry I made you smell like burning little buddy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I learned stick in a Mazda Miata, because my parents went on vacation taking our only automatic, leaving me with a 5 speed Miata.

In the dark, I kept stalling it because I didn't realize that you shift down, then right to go from 1-2-3 instead of just right (1-3-5)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I learned to drive stick in my 5 ton in a mall parking lot, then drove it 550 miles home from the southwestern bumfuckistani corner of pennsylvania.

Fun trip.

• Locked thread