Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Fabiano was quite good at that point no? Certainly better than loving Fred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Spangly A posted:

Fabiano was quite good at that point no? Certainly better than loving Fred.

Yeah Fabiano was good imo, he used to bang them in all the time at Sevilla.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Dias, out of curiosity, which club do you support?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

VisAbsoluta posted:

Dias, out of curiosity, which club do you support?

I'm a Grêmio supporter because I hate myself.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

:hfive: 'sup fellow sufferer (Palmeiras).

Here's to good times of 5x0 - 5x1 playoff matches!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Jose posted:

Like this squad has better strikers lol

This, Fred is maybe one of the worst South American strikers I've seen in the World Cup in years. Brazil deserves better.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

VisAbsoluta posted:

:hfive: 'sup fellow sufferer (Palmeiras).

Here's to good times of 5x0 - 5x1 playoff matches!

Vasco feels....

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Why don't they just play Neymar up front or as a false nine or whatever instead of Fred or loving Jo?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
2010 had Luis Fabiano, Robinho, and Nilmar as their stirkers. This year has Fred and Jo. For some reason all the good strikers Brazil have produced recently want to play as wide forwards instead.

joepinetree posted:

Brazilian media is on full "anything goes" speculation mode. I've read people saying that Scolari will take out Fred and use a 4 man midfield with Fernandinho, Paulinho, Oscar and Hernanes with Hulk and Neymar upfront. Or that it will be the same team as against Chile, only with David Luiz as a DM and Dante in his place in the back. Or that it will be Paulinho in L Gustavo's place, but Hernanes would come in for Hulk. Bottom line being no one has a clue.

What I would expect is Paulinho and Fernandinho to start in midfield, everything else unchanged. Scolari has seemed completely unwilling to rock the boat so far this tournament, as shown by his actual commitment to playing Pub League Fred up top no matter how badly he does every match.

Brazil's squad selection for this tournament was weird as all hell. They only really brought one defensive midfielder despite him being absolutely essential to their team. Imagine if Brazil could be starting Lucas Leiva instead of Gustavo while he's injured, and putting Lucas Moura in for Hulk on the wing, and moving Hulk up front to replace Fred.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

On the other hand, Lucas Moura loving sucks

I can feel your pain :smith:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Whatever happened to Ganso did he just turn out to be a bit poo poo?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Jose posted:

Yep, dude has no motivation at all and can't be arsed to give an effort. Since going to São Paulo he had at most like five good matches in more than a year, playing mediocre football the rest of the time. He is still hyped by the media though and they go "he's one of the best playmakers in the world!!" whenever he gives a lovely assist or w/e, it's pretty funny.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Maybe Brazilians should stop naming themselves after birds, it didn't work for Pato, it didn't work for Ganso...

I bet there's a Gallo somewhere in Brazil trying to make a name for himself.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

El Hefe posted:

Maybe Brazilians should stop naming themselves after birds, it didn't work for Pato, it didn't work for Ganso...

I bet there's a Gallo somewhere in Brazil trying to make a name for himself.

You are about 20 years late.

Current U20 coach and former player:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Gallo

though it should be said that the animal only has one "l" in his name. Like the Atletico Mineiro mascot.

Jose posted:

It used to be that the cycle with Brazilian players was player with potentian->world super star->fat/lazy/drunk living on name recognition (see: Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Adriano, etc.). Recently, they've decided to skip the world super star bit and go straight to drunk/lazy/fat (see: Ganso, Pato, Henrique Almeida, etc)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

joepinetree posted:

You are about 20 years late.

Current U20 coach and former player:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Gallo

though it should be said that the animal only has one "l" in his name. Like the Atletico Mineiro mascot.

We also have a (not very successful) player called Élder Granja - granja can be translated as an aviary. So you're not really that off on that interpretation.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
This Brazil side could really have used Coutinho, imo

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

The Finn posted:

This Brazil side could really have used Coutinho, imo

As gross as it sounds I think they were fine without him and could have used *gasp* that other Liverpool midfielder.

Diego Costa declaring for Spain is still 100% the funniest part of the 2014 FIFA World Cup.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

As gross as it sounds I think they were fine without him and could have used *gasp* that other Liverpool midfielder.

Diego Costa declaring for Spain is still 100% the funniest part of the 2014 FIFA World Cup.

Especially since Costa playing for Spain instead of Brazil made both teams worse.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Edit: wrong thread.

This game today is gonna kill me.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I've got to say that the cheeto tears from goony goons against Brazil in the match day threads feels pretty good.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Paulinho and Fernandinho looked better than Luis Gustavo imo. You guys think it'll be Dante or Henrique vs Germany in place of Thiago Silva?

Also loving Fred, lmao. It's like you're playing a man down every match.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm still expecting Fred to get dropped for Willian so Neymar can play as a striker, if he's not injured anyway

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Felipao should definitely keep playing Maicon over Dani Alves, that was a good decision.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Do Brazil have no better right backs?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Jose posted:

Do Brazil have no better right backs?

Adriano and Maxwell can play either wing too.

I'd take Adriano and Filipe Luis over Maxwell for left back I don't know why they weren't called up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

If Maxwell can play both wings that is why, but I agree about Filipe Luis. Neither Maicon or Alves is good enough anymore though, even if Maicon has realised his flaws unlike Alves

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

If Alves would stop trying to shoot every time he gets the ball he would be fine, imo. Unfortunately he wont.

SandersPacheco
Jul 15, 2004

Faster than light

Gigi Galli posted:

Paulinho and Fernandinho looked better than Luis Gustavo imo. You guys think it'll be Dante or Henrique vs Germany in place of Thiago Silva?

Also loving Fred, lmao. It's like you're playing a man down every match.

Wait. Fred was playing?

sircozzie
Jul 8, 2011

Release the Meerkat
I'm already assuming Neymar is hosed so Brazil are without their captain and doubly their two best players for the Germany game.

Doesn't look too good to me but seeing as Germany haven't exactly set the world alight, I give Brazil a decent chance

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Neymar with a broken vertebrae, he's out.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
No worries, Bernard got this.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

El Hefe posted:

Who was it who injured him and is he out of the country yet?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

pik_d posted:

Who was it who injured him and is he out of the country yet?

lol it was Zuniga, who came close to snapping Hulk's knee too.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Yeah Zúñiga better be on a plane right now.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
That ref was special. Literal back breaking fouls, and the cards were all bullshit (except for Silva who is a giant idiot).

But seriously, gently caress Scolari for leaving Neymar in. Dude had a yellow, and the ref was insane. It was so risky.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Is Leandro Damião a relevant player outside of video games? I might not have ever actually watched him play

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Fat Lowtax posted:

Is Leandro Damião a relevant player outside of video games? I might not have ever actually watched him play

Relevant? Probably. Good? He is one of the shittiest single strikers in the Campeonato Brasileiro Série A this year and a few months back he couldn't play well to save his life against third division teams in the São Paulo State Championship, draw your own conclusions

He and Pato are two players that pretty much only europeans think are still good.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 5, 2014

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

El Hefe posted:

Well, guess that's it for our run then.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I wish we had Garrincha like when Pelé was out in 62 :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

VisAbsoluta posted:

I wish we had Garrincha like when Pelé was out in 62 :qq:

You weren't winning games in style anyway, Thiago Silva is a bigger miss even though his replacement is less of a step down than Neymar-loving Bernard.

• Locked thread