Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

toanoradian posted:

Unrelated, what is the most reviled foul in World Cup history? Someone kicking someone in the balls?

Not technically a foul but Frank Rijkaard spitting at Rudi Völler's mullet after being sent off is probably up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
This one comes to mind

Wikipedia posted:

Andoni Goikoetxea Olaskoaga (born 23 May 1956), Goiko for short, is a Spanish retired footballer, and the current manager of Equatorial Guinea.

During his career, the aggressive central defender (dubbed "The butcher from Bilbao") played mainly for Athletic de Bilbao, also having been a Spain and Euskadi XI international. Among the followers of his main club, he was also known as El Gigante de Alonsotegui (Alonsotegui's giant).

On 24 September 1983, Goiko achieved notoriety for an infamous action on Diego Maradona in a league match at the Camp Nou, ferociously tackling the Argentine from behind and leaving him severely injured, and reportedly later keeping "the boot he had used to destroy...(Maradona's) ankle ligaments" at home in a glass case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaEbB78GLyA

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

C) This isn't perfect (lmao portugal), and it's Europe focused, but here. http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/ That's the rankings UEFA uses to determine how many teams get to go from each league to the champions/europa leage tourney spots. MLS is probably 7-11 or so, but I think a team like FC Sounders Seattle in their current state could probably hang around in the middle of 4-6. Yeah I went there Gigi Galli.

lol yeah MLS is on the same level as the Eredivisie and Seattle Sounders would be midtable in Serie A. Good one.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

toanoradian posted:

Unrelated, what is the most reviled foul in World Cup history? Someone kicking someone in the balls?

In 1982, Germany's Harald Schumacher knocked out France's Patrick Battiston inconscious, cracking his ribs and knocking out some teeth, he didn't get sent off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPTOnClKCJc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germany_vs_France_(1982)

Edit: oh, already posted.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 4, 2014

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The ball has to be the right size, they are rigorously tested for all kinds of things. you can find them here

the worst challenge in a world cup is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGq7VcaHoqo

no foul.

Were the players much more obedient and polite then? If a foul like that happened today, half the team would go after the keeper and the other half would get into the ref's face.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Doctor Malaver posted:

Were the players much more obedient and polite then? If a foul like that happened today, half the team would go after the keeper and the other half would get into the ref's face.

I think they were mostly panicked he was going to die, I doubt gamesmanship was on their minds.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
But drat, look at that scoreline. :eyepop:

Purno
Aug 6, 2008

Not one single foul but I saw a doc on the 1962 World Cup the other day and when it comes to fouls Italy-Chile from that tournament is up there, it isn't called the Battle of Santiago for nothing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5jVMSlpZhg
(also one of the best introductions to a match I've ever seen)

and then there's that games spiritual successor Portugal-Netherlands from 2006:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wALiyDM_Nk

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

That was from a time in football which, while much cleaner than the two decades prior to 82, involved players kicking lumps out of each other reasonably regularly. You had to punch or elbow someone to get sent off, usually. So if a player went into an unfair challenge and hurt one of their team, nobody surrounded him or the ref, they just waited til the next time that player had the ball and kicked him up in the air.

edit: lol see that video posted above for evidence of this exact thing

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 4, 2014

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

vyelkin posted:

lol yeah MLS is on the same level as the Eredivisie and Seattle Sounders would be midtable in Serie A. Good one.

Jozy loving Altidore scored 39 in 67 in the dutch league. It's all kids and wastemen.

And the top Italian sides would destroy the sounders but they could handle the dregs of Serie B temporarily up.

MLS is bad but so is a lot of lower level European soccer. The talent curve goes exponential IMHO.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

the championship would merk all of the MLS teams

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Total Meatlove posted:

Each tournament gets a new ball;

the Jabulaini was the pinnacle of Adidas research into how to make a football super round

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2009-12/science-behind-jubulani-adidass-2010-world-cup-soccer-ball

they hosed it up and it didn't react like players were used too or like a 'real' football should.

They learnt their lessons with the Brazuca and it's made for a much better tournament.

This picture is amazing. drat, we must have had an Azeteca in the family for a serious amount of years.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Kurtofan posted:

In 1982, Germany's Harald Schumacher knocked out France's Patrick Battiston inconscious, cracking his ribs and knocking out some teeth, he didn't get sent off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPTOnClKCJc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germany_vs_France_(1982)

Edit: oh, already posted.

I remember someone doing a poll of people that the French public historically hate a few years back, Schumacher was first above Hitler.

So I'm pretty sure it's fair to say that that is indeed the most despised foul of all time. It's deliberate, malicious, and seriously bloody dangerous.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Edit : Wrong Thread

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Another very violent match was Brazil vs. Hungary in 1954, also named Battle of Berne and notorious because both teams were very attack-minded and everyone expected a beautiful game; Wikipedia has a nice article on it. Both squads kept fighting on the dressing rooms after the game ended.

StrungOutFlip
Mar 17, 2009

Alright guys, lets shoot the stars...ohhh you just killed every star!
Are there any good soccer documentaries out there? The only one I really watched was The Two Escobars and I thought it was fantastic.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

StrungOutFlip posted:

Are there any good soccer documentaries out there? The only one I really watched was The Two Escobars and I thought it was fantastic.

Stolen from the football photos/videos thread, a bunch of skysports documentaries about some of the best players ever that are always interesting

Karl Sharks posted:

For those of you going through a bit of footy withdrawal and want to keep up your streak of getting little work done, here are a list of list of some half hour documentaries Sky has done about The World's Greatest Footballers (and Iniesta I guess idk):

Andres Iniesta
Bobby Charlton
Gerd Müller
Ruud Gullit
Eusébio
Rivelino
Michel Platini
Peter Schmeichel
Garrincha
Kenny Dalglish
Raúl
Johan Cruyff Part 1 Part 2
Ronaldinho
Alfredo di Stéfano
Marco van Basten
Paolo Maldini
Franz Beckenbauer
Zinedine Zidane
Zico
Michael Laudrup
Ronaldo
Gabriel Batistuta
Ferenc Puskás
George Best
Diego Maradona
Pelé

Enjoy.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

quote:

As the global sporting world faces one corruption scandal after another, former Manchester United star Eric Cantona presents the stories of five football heroes whose social conscience led them to challenge unjust regimes, join opposition movements and lead the fight for democracy and human rights. Football Rebels looks at a side of football that does not always make the headlines.

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/footballrebels/

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Netflix has all of the ESPN 30 for 30 docs on soccer available.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

these look amazing. is there a way to watch them on-demand I'm not seeing or do I just have to wait for them to come up on the live stream?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

StrungOutFlip posted:

There's a decent documentary on QPR's new owners called The Four Year Plan which should be available from your favourite questionably reputable internet site.

There's also Kill the Referee available here in terrible quality which follows referees at the 2008 Euros.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

EvilHawk posted:

There's a decent documentary on QPR's new owners called The Four Year Plan which should be available from your favourite questionably reputable internet site.

There's also Kill the Referee available here in terrible quality which follows referees at the 2008 Euros.

Four year plan is utterly incredible and I'm so glad the owners didn't realise how hilariously bad they came across, else presumably they wouldnt have given permission.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
My favourite football film is a 21st Century Portrait. Here's a taste of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNPDlzF4Wg

I like how it's 99% extreme concentration with 1% of it being bursts of energy and skill.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Spangly A posted:

Four year plan is utterly incredible and I'm so glad the owners didn't realise how hilariously bad they came across, else presumably they wouldnt have given permission.

Echoing this, the owner orders his henchman onto the pitch to force the manager to make subs, fires loads of managers, demands an angry fan apologize to him, and wears fancy rich person casual clothes. I don't know anything about QPR, but it was gripping.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

EvilHawk posted:

Four Year Plan's available on Netflix in the US, highly recommend it as well. They also just put up another half-hour of deleted scenes which are just as mad as anything that made it into the film.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

these look amazing. is there a way to watch them on-demand I'm not seeing or do I just have to wait for them to come up on the live stream?
Uh, you just click the links and watch the videos?

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

If you have players from Argentina and Belgium with a ref from Italy what language are they speaking when the ref talks to the players?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Lee Tunnell posted:

If you have players from Argentina and Belgium with a ref from Italy what language are they speaking when the ref talks to the players?

Gesticulation

Probably a combination of English and Spanish, some of the Spanish speakers will understand Italian as well

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
whoever said that the intercontinental cup was not highly regarded is a loving idiot

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I think it's usually english. Rizzoli is a CL ref, he probably speaks a few languages already.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Weaponized Cum posted:

whoever said that the intercontinental cup was not highly regarded is a loving idiot

it isn't highly regarded though

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

FIFA referees are required to pass a basic competency test in English, so that's a common one, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rizzoli knew a few other languages

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I should know this, but is a team allowed to bring in another player (not likely) mid cup if someone who hasn't played gets hurt in camp mid-Cup?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Dirk Pitt posted:

I should know this, but is a team allowed to bring in another player (not likely) mid cup if someone who hasn't played gets hurt in camp mid-Cup?

Nope, the last opportunity to replace an injured player is 24 hours before the respective team's first match.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Dirk Pitt posted:

The tournament squad is 23 players (20 outfield plus 3 goalkeepers), so there should be enough depth. I could foresee FIFA making an exception in the very unlikely case of all three goalkeepers getting injured, however.

North Korea tried to bring an extra outfield player in 2010 by registering him as their third goalkeeper. FIFA told them if he played it had to be in goal.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Now that my team is out, I am cheering for whichever team is behind to score so that there will a tie with exciting tiebreakers. I see no fault in this system.

Can somebody explain to me in what circumstances it is okay to grab another player from behind? I would have thought that was always a foul, but apparently not. Also, it would be lovely if there were a way for refs to penalize blatant drama-dives.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Also, it would be lovely if there were a way for refs to penalize blatant drama-dives.

There already is, simulation is a yellow card offence and sometimes players are stupid enough to get sent off for it.

Referees don't ever enforce this because sending players off ~*damages brands*~

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Whose brand? The team's, football's, or the individual player's?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can somebody explain to me in what circumstances it is okay to grab another player from behind? I would have thought that was always a foul, but apparently not.

This is always a foul.

Take note that the referee often doesn't call a foul when both players are grabbing each other at the same time in a similar manner/with similar force, but what you said sounds nothing like this, so most likely he hosed up (or applied the advantage rule).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Also ask yourself if the grab had any effect on how things were playing out. If it didn't really interfere with play it was probably trifling and so ignored. If it did effect play then yeah, probably a miss like Vis said.

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 5, 2014

• Locked thread