Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.

Koramei posted:

Isn't Israel in Eurovision though? If there's one true barometer it's that.

Morocco and Armenia have participated as well. Entrants must be in the European broadcasting Area, but there's no requirement they be in Europe itself.

E: Israel was doing transvestite Eurovision entries before it was cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv83u7-mNWQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Well clearly Morocco and Armenia are also indispensable parts of Europe.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, Morocco tried to join the Community. And quite frankly from an objective standpoint I don't see many reasons for not admitting it (the more, the merrier). Of course, they were told to gently caress off because it was ruled they were outside the European borders.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Israel also compete in European football, having being expelled by the AFC after the Six Days War. Previously, they walked AFC qualification for the 1958 World Cup, leading FIFA to schedule an impromptu game with Wales so that every qualifying nation had to play at least one other to qualify.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I happen to know this is a map of "white people", and it says a lot about the author that he doesn't consider Mexicans to be white (but for some reason doesn't care about the Spaniards being obviously too friend of the family-ish to count as white!)

Panas
Nov 1, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

Tell us your opinions on Macedonia next.

I think the name is problematic, more so after what Putin did in Crimea than before. Nationalism in Greece and in Macedonia is a many headed hydra that attracts the worst kind of individuals, as evidenced by Golden Dawn. It's a very childish spat. A country with one fifth the population of Greece, one tenth the military budget, and a large minority of Albanians that don't feel particularly loyal to the Macedonian nation building project, is not and most likely never will be a threat to Greece. So while I understand the issue over the name, it makes little sense to continue the dispute. Also I think you underestimate the extent to which Macedonia and Greece are tied economically. After the crisis it's clearly in the best interest of Greece and Macedonia to have good relations.

But please if you feel that I misrepresented the extent to which Turkish democracy is flawed, please correct me. Turkey should be in the EU, but they won't get there going along this path that Erdogan is taking them down.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

If light gray is >1%, shouldn't the world be entirely light gray except where it's less than 1% :confused:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Peanut President posted:

Don't even need to be the Kingdom of Jerusalem. Israel is considered white people. For example they play in UEFA (Europe's soccer conference thing) whereas all their neighbors play in AFC (Asia).
Australia moved to AFC in 2006 so I guess they are Asians now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JosefStalinator posted:

If light gray is >1%, shouldn't the world be entirely light gray except where it's less than 1% :confused:

As I said this map is completely legit and by no means the product of the fever dreams of a syphilitic racist.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Kennel posted:

Australia moved to AFC in 2006 so I guess they are Asians now.

That's what happens when you don't stop the boats.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Israel didn't go straight into UEFA anyway: I'm sure that after getting chucked from the AFC they ended up qualifying with the OFC nations at least once... Linking Israel with Europe is something that has increasingly happened; but at least with Football it was the least dumb way of dealing with a complex political situation.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

BC, Manitoba, Ontario and most of the US coasts: no white people.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Baronjutter posted:

Of course not, those places are full of liberals, and they've forfeited their right to whiteness.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Actually, the Canadian census from 2011 agrees with the syphilitic dreams of this person. All three provinces are between 50%-75% white, although they're actually between 67.3%-71.7% white. BC and Ontario primarily because of non-European immigration, and Manitoba primarily because of a large aboriginal population (17%).

Edit: of course, things like race are entirely self-reported on the census.

lonelywurm fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 5, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Haha, Albania. I guess being Muslim means you automatically don't count as white to the mapmaker.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

steinrokkan posted:

I happen to know this is a map of "white people", and it says a lot about the author that he doesn't consider Mexicans to be white (but for some reason doesn't care about the Spaniards being obviously too friend of the family-ish to count as white!)

It looks more like a map of "white-ish christians" since Lebanon and Armenia are 50-75/90+% but Albania is less than 50%

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

I was originally going to say this was a map of White people, but I didn't think that South Africa had that few Afrikaners. Is that accurate?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I'm surprised Israel isn't (or at least doesn't look to be) in the "mostly white" category, so the "white-ish Christians" thing probably explains it

Panas
Nov 1, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I was originally going to say this was a map of White people, but I didn't think that South Africa had that few Afrikaners. Is that accurate?

CIA factbook says whites are only 8.9% of the population, so it can be.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

steinrokkan posted:

Aren't most Mexicans Mestizo? I have no idea if that counts as white of course, it probably should by the definition given, but typically the frothing sort of racist will insist that it doesn't because racism.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

It sure is. Whites only make up about 9% of the South African population, and only about 60% of those are proper Afrikaners, the others being most English. Apartheid is a hell of a drug.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Christ, I would have thought that the people that controlled South Africa for centuries were more than ten percent of the population.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Christ, I would have thought that the people that controlled South Africa for centuries were more than ten percent of the population.

history_of_colonialism.jpg

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

PittTheElder posted:

Aren't most Mexicans Mestizo? I have no idea if that counts as white of course, it probably should by the definition given, but typically the frothing sort of racist will insist that it doesn't because racism.

When I worked for the US Census we considered "Latino, Hispaic, or other Latin American Origin" a seperate category entirely from race. They're seperate questions, I.E. did your family come to America straight from Africa/Europe/Asia or come by way of Latin America? Because someone can be a black Latino (think someone from the Dominican Republic) a white Latino, a Native American Latino, or even an Asian Latino (lots of second generation Japanese in Peru and Brazil). My census tract was in rural/suburban Mississippi though, so most people I encountered were white or black. I never once used the Hispanic box on my forms. One dude had half Choctaw kids, that was the only time I didn't just put in white or black.

But it was all self reported (which it should be because race is a social construct anyway, so whatever you identify as IS your race. There's no science behind this poo poo) and I don't know that that map is using self reported racial identities. That's how race is handled for official US statistical purposes. So I guess by that definition they would be White/Native American Latinos.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

IceAgeComing posted:

Israel didn't go straight into UEFA anyway: I'm sure that after getting chucked from the AFC they ended up qualifying with the OFC nations at least once... Linking Israel with Europe is something that has increasingly happened; but at least with Football it was the least dumb way of dealing with a complex political situation.

It doesn't help that several nations in the AFC don't recognize Israel as a country.

And what I've been told about Australian national team being in the AFC was that they wanted to be in a more competitive confederation.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Until 1974 Israel was a member of the Asian Confederation, which often led to other countries refusing to play against them.

During the 1958 World Cup Qualification Israel was drawn to play against Turkey, Indonesia and Sudan. None of these matches actually happened, which is why Israel had to face Wales in a preliminary knockout match (and lost 4-0 on aggregate).

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

If we're talking Eurovision I feel obligated to post the official map

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Belgium never votes for France, the fuckers.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I remember looking it up on Wikipedia some time ago and finding out there were less than three million Afrikaners. I was really surprised, I had this idea that it was at least double that. Keep in mind that South Africa also has a bunch of Anglophone white people, though.

Proportion of Afrikaans speakers in South Africa. This also includes most Coloureds and others who have it as a native language.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

If we're talking Eurovision I feel obligated to post the official map

"Block" :eng99:

Accurate though. Although the all-the-post-Soviet-countries-all-vote-for-Russia thing has cooled off a bit in recent years.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Somebody who gets Eurovision and Eurostereotypes should label all the countries. There's a lot I can't figure out, like the kid with sand tools and the pitchfork-wielding Soviet soldier, and the Cossack, and the poodle and most of the Balkans and the Portuguese dog and

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Some of them are easy if you know their flags/relationships. Like Greece giving Cyprus money. The kid with the sand tools is Gibraltar because they're one of two to give votes to the UK, etc.

edit: The Pitchfork soviet is probably Belarus. Shabby soviet coat & pitchfork seems to match the general stereotype of belarus, a backwards farm land that thinks it's still 1960. :belarus:

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 5, 2014

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Peanut President posted:

Some of them are easy if you know their flags/relationships. Like Greece giving Cyprus money. The kid with the sand tools is Gibraltar because they're one of two to give votes to the UK, etc.

edit: The Pitchfork soviet is probably Belarus. Shabby soviet coat & pitchfork seems to match the general stereotype of belarus, a backwards farm land that thinks it's still 1960. :belarus:

I don't think that Gibraltar can vote. It's probably Malta.

Epitome of Macho
Jan 9, 2006
Insert title text here.

vintagepurple posted:

"Europe"... "white people"

This is why Turkey is not in the EU.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Peanut President posted:

See I thought that too, but then I figured the irradiated nuclear guy must be Belarus in reference to getting all the fallout from Chernobyl and cuddling up to Ukraine girl.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Bloodnose posted:

See I thought that too, but then I figured the irradiated nuclear guy must be Belarus in reference to getting all the fallout from Chernobyl and cuddling up to Ukraine girl.

Moldova?

VVV Ok, yeah, that makes sense.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 5, 2014

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bloodnose posted:

The radioactive guy is Ukraine, I'm sure, he's wearing blue and gold, the colours of Ukraine. The girl is Moldova, who is arm in arm with Romania because she is a historic part of Romania, but has a large Ukrainian ethnic minority.

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

Somebody who gets Eurovision and Eurostereotypes should label all the countries. There's a lot I can't figure out, like the kid with sand tools and the pitchfork-wielding Soviet soldier, and the Cossack, and the poodle and most of the Balkans and the Portuguese dog and

I think the fisherman is Portugal and the dog is Andorra. Poodle is Monaco, I guess. The 'cossack' is probably Georgia (he kind of looks like Stalin).

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

So, the Balkan Block: the guy with the rifle is obviously Serbian. Lederhosen dude on the left is Slovenian. Patched up blue coat is probably Montenegrin. Which would make the dude in the elaborate Greek-looking costume on the right Macedonian. Notice the irony.
That leaves us with the guy in the fez, obviously Bosnian, the grandma, probably Albanian, and the dude in the cowboy hat. The only nationality left is Croatian, and somehow it doesn't make any sense.

Also, their relative positions in the circle kind of look like their countries' geographical positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

sinking belle posted:

"Block" :eng99:

Accurate though. Although the all-the-post-Soviet-countries-all-vote-for-Russia thing has cooled off a bit in recent years.

Block is the proper German spelling of bloc, could be a German who made it. As for the Russia voting thing, that had decreased dramatically in this year's Eurovision, even though Russia sent two beautiful, blond, barely legal twin girls to the contest. Seems like Putin hasn't gained any friends with his Crimea adventure.