Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/neymar-doubt-world-cup-semifinals-24433909

lololo bye neymar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
I want to say it's a shame, but then I remember when Neymar fractured Alejandro Gonzalez's leg on the Libertadores final and well, gently caress Neymar.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

VisAbsoluta posted:

He and Pato are two players that pretty much only europeans think are still good.

I don't know anyone that thinks Pato is any good any more.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Bobo the Red posted:

That ref was special. Literal back breaking fouls, and the cards were all bullshit (except for Silva who is a giant idiot).

But seriously, gently caress Scolari for leaving Neymar in. Dude had a yellow, and the ref was insane. It was so risky.

That ref was simply abominable. I can't believe he oversees Champions League matches. What an awful, awful job.

I don't blame Scolari so much, the back breaker came when the game was 2-1 and if Neymar had caught Colombia out he could have iced the game on his own.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

VisAbsoluta posted:

He and Pato are two players that pretty much only europeans think are still good.
On the other hand, no one in Europe thinks that Fred and Jo are any good.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

El Hefe posted:

Neymar with a broken vertebrae, he's out.

Classic boy who cried wolf. No one thought he was genuinely hurt because it was the exact same reaction every time he goes down.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

VisAbsoluta posted:

I wish we had Garrincha like when Pelé was out in 62 :qq:

lol

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013
Neymar is not Pele. At best he's an overhyped, black Robert Pires. You'll be fine

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Amazing every challenge seems to send him into orbit and he gets up ok and a innocuous looking tap in the back seriously injured him.

Apparently the ref was the same guy who didn't send Guarin off for a second yellow against England. FIFA have obviously issued some missive not to dish yellows out but he's taking the piss.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
RIP Neymar's rear end 1992-2014, you touched a Columbian and you died and went to heaven and took a nation's dreams with you

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good
No neymar or Silva? Bye bye Brazilia land :twisted: :troll:

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

lmaoboy1998 posted:

Neymar is not Pele. At best he's an overhyped, black Robert Pires. You'll be fine

Lol @ you thinking I was comparing Neymar to Pelé or anything like that

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Gigi Galli posted:

Dunno, I've seen like four posts in this very forum asking why he wasn't in this squad and even replied to a couple of them

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Gigi Galli posted:

I think it's more people finding it difficult to believe he's worse than Fred.
Or anyone's worse than Fred.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

DickEmery posted:

Don't forget about Jô.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

DickEmery posted:

Yeah this might be more accurate.

Any Milan fan knows that Pato is wildly bad though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gigi Galli posted:

Yeah this might be more accurate.

Any Milan fan knows that Pato is wildly bad though

I thought he was good at Milan, just a cripple?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

Paulinho and Fernandinho looked better than Luis Gustavo imo. You guys think it'll be Dante or Henrique vs Germany in place of Thiago Silva?

Also loving Fred, lmao. It's like you're playing a man down every match.

Probably Dante if Scolari has any brains. Dante is their second best defender after Thiago Silva.

Without Neymar's Brazil's attack is going to be so toothless though, not even funny. Then again if they can just keep scoring from set plays that might not matter so much.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Jose posted:

I thought he was good at Milan, just a cripple?

He was quite good for a few years, then turned in to a little whiny baby, then broke completely for a whole season. PSG offered Milan 30 million for him right before he turned in a total crock and then we ended up selling him for 8 or something. Im still mad.

A lot of people blamed Milan's medical staff but it turns out that he's just not fit all the time now.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gigi Galli posted:

He was quite good for a few years, then turned in to a little whiny baby, then broke completely for a whole season. PSG offered Milan 30 million for him right before he turned in a total crock and then we ended up selling him for 8 or something. Im still mad.

A lot of people blamed Milan's medical staff but it turns out that he's just not fit all the time now.

it's a shame because he was a very pretty man.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Mans posted:

it's a shame because he was a very pretty man.

Hell, he was a good player too. I blame having sex with Barbara Berlusconi.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Gigi Galli posted:

Hell, he was a good player too. I blame having sex with Barbara Berlusconi.

I wouldn't mind having sex with barbara berlusconi if you know what I mean.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Pity that Neymar being out will give an excuse for our bad team getting knocked out. We need a really drastic change in coaching philosophy and we will not get it. Losing at home was our shot at it, but not without our 2 best guys :(

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Bobo the Red posted:

Pity that Neymar being out will give an excuse for our bad team getting knocked out. We need a really drastic change in coaching philosophy and we will not get it. Losing at home was our shot at it, but not without our 2 best guys :(

You didn't embarrass yourselves at home, that's good enough for this very average team imo.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gigi Galli posted:

Man, when Pato started playing for Internacional, I thought we were watching the birth of a new Ronaldo. Then he started sucking more and more. I dunno how much of it was due to injuries (and Milan's medical staff is a bit iffy in that regard), but man did he fall off fast.

It's kinda a tendency with new Brazilian "stars", as someone pointed out. They just skip the "being awesome" phase and go straight to "being drunk and not caring". Neymar is the only one that survived it and just barely - I still think dude's overhyped.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Dias posted:

Man, when Pato started playing for Internacional, I thought we were watching the birth of a new Ronaldo. Then he started sucking more and more. I dunno how much of it was due to injuries (and Milan's medical staff is a bit iffy in that regard), but man did he fall off fast.

It's kinda a tendency with new Brazilian "stars", as someone pointed out. They just skip the "being awesome" phase and go straight to "being drunk and not caring". Neymar is the only one that survived it and just barely - I still think dude's overhyped.

Neymar's still young enough to hit that phase.

And yeah, Im not absolving Milan's medical team at all, Im positive that they had something to do with it, but it wasn't entirely them.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I don't think Neymar is going to go that way at least before he is like 32.

After that initial youngster-who-suddenly-owns-the-world phase and his problems with Dorival Jr., he (along with his father, regardless of the guy being a scumbag) takes his career very loving serious when it comes to commitment.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 5, 2014

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Can anyone recommend any particular good documentary movies or shows about Pele, preferably with a lot of good highlight footage, that puts into perspective the man's importance to the sport of football overall and to the Brazil national team in particular?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Zwabu posted:

Can anyone recommend any particular good documentary movies or shows about Pele, preferably with a lot of good highlight footage, that puts into perspective the man's importance to the sport of football overall and to the Brazil national team in particular?

From what I remember (watched it 10 years ago) it's more about the player than about his overall impact in football, but a straightforward answer is Pelé Eterno/Pele Forever.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Football's Greatest are pretty great short documentaries on amazing players and of course they've done one on Pele. I haven't seen this one in particular, but it's probably good.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

vyelkin posted:

Probably Dante if Scolari has any brains. Dante is their second best defender after Thiago Silva.

Dante also plays in the loving Bundesliga so he knows all of the German players. It's a non-brainer but I still wouldn't bet on it.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Neymar puts team on back, breaks it

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Scolari said Neymar couldn't feel his legs right after the hit :stare:

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Say what you will but Neymar's commitment to showing off his underwear, even after taking a hit that could have potentially left him permanently paralyzed, is impressive.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

El Hefe posted:

Scolari said Neymar couldn't feel his legs right after the hit :stare:

I'm not sure that's true. They didn't take any spinal precautions with him.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Yeah. If it was a fracture of the transverse process as reported, it generally should not affect stability or threaten neurologic function which is why he is not, as far as I understand it, requiring surgery and I don't think he needs spinal precautions either.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Scolari said that's what Neymar told Marcelo at the moment, I guess that's why Marcelo looked so alarmed, it was probably just the pain of the moment and Neymar being afraid of getting injured.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Might have just been pins and needles from nerve impingement instead of actually feeling paralyzed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Zwabu posted:

Yeah. If it was a fracture of the transverse process as reported, it generally should not affect stability or threaten neurologic function which is why he is not, as far as I understand it, requiring surgery and I don't think he needs spinal precautions either.

lol, thats neymars butt

• Locked thread