Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

Im really not enjoying having to use the ps3 controller after playing on the ps4 for awhile. At least the game is pretty fun. Is anything really weird/cool in the game like knight gundam?

Knight Gundam's still in there, together with a whole butt-ton of dumb generic mechs. Also the Bearguy mech is free DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

ActionZero posted:

edit: How the gently caress have I not put the BF OSTs as my custom soundtrack yet?

Ole!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ActionZero posted:

Stop what you're doing right now and go watch Build Fighters. Star Build Strike, Crossbone Maoh and Sengoku Astray better be in the next DWG I swear to god.

edit: How the gently caress have I not put the BF OSTs as my custom soundtrack yet?

The custom soundtrack feature's kinda funny, a major character will die and suddenly Shine in the Storm from 08th MS Team starts playing when the character gets sad and pissed off.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Policenaut posted:

Holy poo poo don't buy Ken's Rage 2 it's arguably the worst modern Warriors game ever.
If it wasn't for this reaction every time it gets brought up in this thread, I'd have gotten it myself at that price.

Is there any likelihood of the first FOTNS game coming being made as a digital release? rather than being disc only?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Chewy Bitems posted:

Is there any likelihood of the first FOTNS game coming being made as a digital release? rather than being disc only?

I don't know about the PS3, but the 360 version of Ken's Rage got a digital release.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!

Maleketh posted:

I don't know about the PS3, but the 360 version of Ken's Rage got a digital release.
Thanks for that. Ah well that's annoying that it's still on the PSN store as "disc only" then. hopefully it gets released digital on PSN.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Holy crap, Jia Chong is hilariously fun to play.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone figured out how to unlock specific suits for use by any pilot? I've gotten a bunch of regular grunt suits unlocked through normal play, but I would like to know how to unlock something like the Gundam, or some other more prominent suit for general use.

It's also annoying that Char somehow forgets how to pilot his Zaku II as he gets older.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Dramicus posted:

Has anyone figured out how to unlock specific suits for use by any pilot? I've gotten a bunch of regular grunt suits unlocked through normal play, but I would like to know how to unlock something like the Gundam, or some other more prominent suit for general use.

It's also annoying that Char somehow forgets how to pilot his Zaku II as he gets older.

Most are just playing like 10 missions with suit.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Picked up Gundam Reborn and am enjoying it more than the previous DW Gundam, and I've only been doing the official missions so far. Is there a lot of content in the ultimate mode? I took at peek at the DLC and it's $30 for the entire thing, which is kind of steep considering the base game is $40.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Faltion posted:

Picked up Gundam Reborn and am enjoying it more than the previous DW Gundam, and I've only been doing the official missions so far. Is there a lot of content in the ultimate mode? I took at peek at the DLC and it's $30 for the entire thing, which is kind of steep considering the base game is $40.

Ultimate mode is full of unrelated campaigns with random nonsense stories. Their length is comparable to an official mode campaign. The dlc adds some extra campaigns but if you are going to get any, I would say go for the mobile suit you are interested in as opposed to paying attention to what mission comes with it.

Edit: whoa, the beamsaber upgrades get nuts at level 3, they get progressively bigger and longer.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 3, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Dramicus posted:

Grab whoever pilots it as standard and complete 10 missions with them. Generally speaking, that'll open it up.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Professor Moriarty posted:

Holy crap, Jia Chong is hilariously fun to play.

Just finished playing some DW for an hour and brb playing DW again :catstare:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I gotta say, going from DW8 to DWG:R sure makes the latter look like poo poo. :smith:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

I gotta say, going from DW8 to DWG:R sure makes the latter look like poo poo. :smith:

Game is a fun change of pace, but part of me wishes they put it on the PS4 for that extra bit of spit shine.

Not crazy about the space stages either. It sounds nice until you realize you are fighting in a featureless black void.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Game is a fun change of pace, but part of me wishes they put it on the PS4 for that extra bit of spit shine.

Not crazy about the space stages either. It sounds nice until you realize you are fighting in a featureless black void.

Not even visually, just mechanic-wise. 90% of DWG combat boils down to "cancel your dash attack over and over" which gets really dull when you realize how it basically nullifies 90% of movesets

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Speaking of 8, are the DLC stages any good ?

Back to Reborn: Playing through the OG Gundam storyline, and I keep wanting to do a charge attack past the third hit but either they are not unlocked yet or they do not exist for it. Kind of annoying, that.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 4, 2014

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
There's no English Vita release for Reborn, right? Even digital? I'll probably just grab Shin Gundam Musou, then...

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

There's no English Vita release for Reborn, right? Even digital? I'll probably just grab Shin Gundam Musou, then...

Nope, you're going to have to import it.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of 8, are the DLC stages any good ?

Back to Reborn: Playing through the OG Gundam storyline, and I keep wanting to do a charge attack past the third hit but either they are not unlocked yet or they do not exist for it. Kind of annoying, that.

Attacks are based on Pilot level, so go grind a bit and you'll have it soon.

After 3 days of downloading this I finally get to play this morning and I am in love with the Crossbone X1, it is so great! The return of a cooler variant of DWG2's plan system is nice, but mobile armors are still annoying as hell to fight though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I'm playing DW8XL, and I just finished the Wei campaign (until I go back and do the alternate branch, anyways). I'd like to play Wu next, but I'd prefer to do it on hard mode. I got to the end of the first mission but it was kind of a slog with a level 1 character and I died to the enemy general. Should I just play ambition and level up characters for all the kingdoms, or is there a better way to level some characters so I can play hard mode without being too underleveled?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm playing DW8XL, and I just finished the Wei campaign (until I go back and do the alternate branch, anyways). I'd like to play Wu next, but I'd prefer to do it on hard mode. I got to the end of the first mission but it was kind of a slog with a level 1 character and I died to the enemy general. Should I just play ambition and level up characters for all the kingdoms, or is there a better way to level some characters so I can play hard mode without being too underleveled?

Campaign is the easiest way to level characters, bar none, simply because you get free levels for so many characters so quickly. And it's always a rotating cast, so you're better off not spending time grinding characters on your own and instead just playing normally. Instead, Ambition is handy for its Blacksmith, which when ranked up high enough can let you buy high-rank weapons. And if you have enough weapon crafting materials, you can create a custom weapon that can trivialize any challenge. There's also an Academy building near the endgame of the first Ambition mode that lets you buy not only levels, but also direct stat boosts, but again it's cheaper to just level everyone in campaign.

Good weapons and high-enough levels in skills like Attack Boost can carry a level 1 character through the opening stages on Hard of their campaign, but there's little reason to jump right into Hard right away. Difficulty levels are mostly a matter of level scaling the content. You raise the difficulty so your higher-level characters won't run roughshod over everything and so you can get better drops/unique weapons.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Sima Yi's Japanese VA died a year ago or so, and his new VA for DW8E onward has just been decided, Ryotaro Okiayu. As you can see, he already plays lots of other characters in the Musou series, including Sima Shi.

I was hoping for whoever plays Paptimus Scirocco, myself.

edit: oh what, Bin Shimada, who plays Scirocco, is Zack in the Dead or Alive Series? Man, looking at roles of voice actors results in some crazy poo poo sometimes.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 4, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sima Yi's Japanese VA died a year ago or so, and his new VA has just been decided, Ryotaro Okiayu. As you can see, he already plays lots of other characters in the Musou series, including Sima Shi.

I was hoping for whoever plays Paptimus Scirocco, myself.

edit: oh what, Bin Shimada, who plays Scirocco, is Zack in the Dead or Alive Series? Man, looking at roles of voice actors results in some crazy poo poo sometimes.

Shimada Bin plays a whole ton of comedy roles and is really good at them. Scirocco is actually a bit of an oddity for him.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Shimada Bin plays a whole ton of comedy roles and is really good at them. Scirocco is actually a bit of an oddity for him.
Yeah, I've run into that situation a lot, where I know a VA from some one kind of role and then find out it's the only role they played like that.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sima Yi's Japanese VA died a year ago or so, and his new VA for DW8E onward has just been decided, Ryotaro Okiayu. As you can see, he already plays lots of other characters in the Musou series, including Sima Shi.

This would make that one cackling scene from the DW8 Jin Hypothetical route super weird/amazing.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

So is there some secret to making the crossbow not godawful? It just seems to actively sabotage itself.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Only use it on officers when the switch in buff is active and try to trigger the cocking animation so you get the spread buff. Immediately switch out when both of those end and use a not situationally useful weapon until you run into an officer weak to your crossbow's element.

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Shame that the stupid crossbow is the resson why lianshi his totally unfun to play. While jia chong is fun Im pretty much addicted to zhang chunhua and her razor wire fingers of death. Its even better using sima yi as a bodygaurd in ambition. Seeing husband and wife cackling together in tandem while they murder hundreds of soldiers is actually kind of...sweet?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Velocity helps everything but it really makes the crossbow way more usable.

Still probably the worst weapon, though.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Jibo posted:

Velocity helps everything but it really makes the crossbow way more usable.

Still probably the worst weapon, though.

I haven't used it much, admittedly, but I can't imagine it being worse than wingblades. (Seriously, wingblades are loving terrible.)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This is going to sound stupid but I liked it better when a lot of characters had spears, because they all used them in different ways. Spears are better than a lot of the more out there weapons that they have had recently.

Plus I just like spears.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Holy poo poo don't buy Ken's Rage 2 it's arguably the worst modern Warriors game ever.

It is not nearly as fun for me as the first Ken's Rage game. Which I liked quite a bit.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Maleketh posted:

I haven't used it much, admittedly, but I can't imagine it being worse than wingblades. (Seriously, wingblades are loving terrible.)

The wingblades at least let you attack enemies more than once at a time. The crossbow just has huge knockback but plants you on the spot you're standing, so good luck putting out any decent amount of damage.

Seriously, half my problems with it would be solved if it was a Dash or Shadow Walk weapon to give you some mobility, but nope, instead they decided to make a primarily ranged weapon a whirlwind-type. It's just depressing that they made what's essentially the shotgun of DW8 pretty much worthless.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I don't know, I just took Lianshi into Chaos Ambition 2 and put Velocity, Cyclone, Induction, and Explosive on a crossbow and it was holding its own. It's not over the top busted like the throwing knives, having to plant your feet actually adds some danger while you're murdering officers from across the room. It might be bottom tier but at this point with weapon fusion being a thing some other weapons are just too strong to be fun.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

The wingblades at least let you attack enemies more than once at a time. The crossbow just has huge knockback but plants you on the spot you're standing, so good luck putting out any decent amount of damage.

Bah, I don't know about anyone else, but most of the time I can't hit anything with wingblades. The attack radius is too narrow on normal attacks and the area is too unpredictable on strong attacks. At least with a crossbow I can actually hit enemies.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The Stamen DLC for Reborn might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in a DW game. I don't even know what half of its attacks do.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Samurai Sanders posted:

This is going to sound stupid but I liked it better when a lot of characters had spears, because they all used them in different ways. Spears are better than a lot of the more out there weapons that they have had recently.

Plus I just like spears.

Ya, I was thinking about this like a day ago. poo poo like the siege spear kills me. And obviously they are going to keep adding new characters. We already have things like the spear and the dragon spear, or rapier and lightning sword. I would seriously prefer taking out stuff like the siege spear, and the wingblades and the real goofy poo poo. Instead they can do a kinda War of the Roses thing and differentiate between like (I don't know Chinese, so the grammar is probably off) Nanzhong Spear and Jiangnan Spear or whatever. Then we can keep multiple move-sets for common weapons, like spears or swords, and keep the weapon swapping system. I don't know, that might be a dumb idea.

Of course I do like some of the goofy poo poo. It wouldn't be dynasty warriors without some weird poo poo. Like I would hate to lose the art of war scroll; that is perfect for a strategist. And despite the fact it annoys my friend to no end, I would hate to lose the crossed halberds.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The silliest thing in the whole series for me is Azai Nagamasa and his jousting lance, except that he swings it left and right, so I guess the flat end just knocks the enemy around while the pointed end does nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

My only complaint with the weapon selection is that there isn't another two instruments so I can roll around with a bodyguard band.