Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

Ratspeaker posted:

TVTropes has brought me to a point where if I see the word "snark" used more than once in a work I just shut the book/window. Don't care about the context, that word is like poison.

So I guess when you open a new book, one of your priorities is... Hunting the snark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Hitting the random button pays off sometimes

Money Sink introduction quote posted:

"If there was no way for us to "destroy" Neopoints, inflation would be even worse than it is now. There would be so many Neopoints in the economy that they would practically be worthless. It would cost players more and more Neopoints to purchase things, because each Neopoint would have so little value. Could you imagine a Krawk Morphing Potion costing 150,000,000 NP? That's what it would possibly cost if all the Neopoints that have been created by Flash games and other areas of the site were never removed. For players who make their Neopoints by playing games to earn 1,000 NP at a time, it would seem like an impossible goal."
The Neopian Times editorial (bottom of the page), Issue 469

-Note: The average Krawk Morphing Potion is sold at 15,000,000 NP.
That intro quote is almost as long as the description itself.

Hammurabi posted:

So I guess when you open a new book, one of your priorities is... Hunting the snark?

:frogout:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Snark sounds like the name of a Dr. Seuss character who needs to learn to be less arrogant and more friendly.

Incest Subtext: Literature posted:

A Series of Unfortunate Events: Violet and Klaus. The Film of the Book does sport a bit of chemistry.

Incest Subtext: Live Action TV posted:

Buffyverse
Buffy seems overly physically affectionate when it comes to Dawn. The way she kisses Dawn in "The Gift" is very much not sisterly, which Joss jokes about in the commentary. One episode draws explicit parallels between Buffy/Dawn and Willow/Tara.
Willow: I have to look after [Tara]. She's my girl.
Buffy: (stroking Dawn's hair) I know what you mean.
And in "Intervention":
Buffy: I love you, Dawn. You know that, right?
Dawn: Yeah. I love you too.
Buffy: I love you ... really love you.
Dawn: (nervous grin) Gettin' weird.
Buffy: Sorry. But it's important that I tell you. Weird love's better than no love.
Dawn also shows signs of this with her mother substitutes Willow and Tara. She wants them to teach her the stuff they do together, and is promptly told to go to her room. In another episode, Willow is perving on a girl dancing, to discover it was Dawn.

Incest Subtext: Western Animation posted:

Phil and Lil of the Rugrats which is a bit strange since they're only one year old. One episode has the babies put on a High School Dance in the garden and Phil takes Lil. Another episode has them pretending to be lovers in a soap opera. They have strange reactions when they see each other in the buff in "Naked Tommy". When Chuckie discovers that a girl picks on him because she has a crush on him, Lil shoves Phil; when he asks why she did it, she responds "it's because I like you" and they both giggle. It's still apparent in All Grown Up!: Phil doesn't take Lil becoming more individual very well, and his reaction to her growing breasts isn't very typical of a brother. Another episode when Phil was hanging out a lot with his sister's best friend, Lil was upset that her friend was taking away her brother from her.

My childhood feels violated

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Hammurabi posted:

:golfclap:

But seriously, I can't stand trope-speak anymore. I don't even like using the word "trope" in discussion.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

TVTropes: which is a bit strange since they're only one year old

It must be difficult to live a life of constant boners when "two people are next to each other" amounts to sexual subtext.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 3, 2014

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Plague of Hats posted:

TVTropes: which is a bit strange since they're only one year old

It must be difficult to live a life of constant boners when "two people are next to each other" amounts to sexual subtext.

This should answer your question

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.
I guess I was watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer wrong all those years ago because I never got the sense that Buffy wanted to bang her sister. The Willow bit at the end (she's not even related to Dawn but we must catalog everything) reads like a joke (I haven't seen the show in a long time so I don't remember).

Also, :barf: at sexualizing Rugrats.

Ninjasaurus fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 4, 2014

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Snark sounds like the name of a Dr. Seuss character who needs to learn to be less arrogant and more friendly.

Are you sure he's not a relative of the Star-Bellied Sneeches?

quote:

My childhood feels violated

I know it's been said before, but I'll say it again: "Really? Then don't look at the Getting Crap Past the Radar page -- especially not these pages: Animated Films, Comic Books, and, the biggest offender of all, Western Animation

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
jesus christ they are talking about literal babies doing incest

Rugrats was my favorite TV show growing up too :(

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
TvTropes Pleads the Fifth: They are talking about literal babies doing incest

also, Swan Oat, same :smith:
From what I can tell by the reruns they still show occasionally it actually held up well, too

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
...I don't even have the words for this one. How the gently caress do they write this poo poo without any hint of self awareness? They are talking about literal infants loving.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Tropers can't understand that it's possible to have non-sexual relationships with other people.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Tropers can't understand that it's possible to have non-sexual relationships with other people.

Which seems odd considering that the stereotypical troper has never had a relationship that wasn't non-sexual.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

Hammurabi posted:

Which seems odd considering that the stereotypical troper has never had a relationship that wasn't non-sexual.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

Yet they also seem to get really defensive when anyone calls anything they like oversexed or perverted. It's like that one line everybody knows from The Incredibles, only it's "When everything is sexual, nothing is."

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

MinistryofLard posted:

quote:

You can blame Lafcadio Hearn for the fact that any Westerner who's heard of the mujina probably has it confused with the noppera-bō (or "faceless ghost"), and for mislabeling the nukekubi as rokuro-kubi.

Baka gaijin!

I'm kind of surprised Lafcadio Hearn (Koizumi Yakumo) only pops up a handful of times in a search. He seems like he would be custom-made for TV Tropes - a tragic childhood, abandonment by parents, a restless but creative life until settling down to a happy life in glorious Japan (he even got a waifu and became a naturalized citizen). He's still influential over a hundred years later (Kwaidan is based on four of his tales).

His books are still very readable, too. He tended not to indulge overly much in the highly floral language of the late Victorian period.

I like Lafcadio Hearn.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
The only mention of Hearn I've ever seen on TVT was from sperglords trying to justify their dumb Touhou headcanons (some convoluted poo poo involving split personalities and name sharing or something like that)

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

kazil posted:

What the hell is this poo poo?

"I can't find motivations for my female villains. I found them for my male villains though. Those motivations for the first are because that's the way he is and the motivations for the second are because the first says so. These are both good, well thought out motivations that I can't seem to reproduce for women."

It's ok for the men to be evil because that's just who they are, but the women can only be evil if they've been raped enough.

Norman Mailer used to have same problem actually. I know have read an interview of him from the 90`s where he said that it took him many years to realize that women could be just as bad as men. So even the best of writers can have stupid blind spots like this.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
To be fair, if it's a story without a lot of female characters having the villain be a woman who's evil because she's evil is still problematic as gently caress, and much more baldfaced in its problematic-ness than giving them a contrived motivation.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
If I don't know it was tropers writing it and probably getting it all wrong that description of Buffy would put me off ever watching it ever

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The sad part about the Buffy section was that I can actually see Joss Whedon writing something like that.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Arcsquad12 posted:

The sad part about the Buffy section was that I can actually see Joss Whedon writing something like that.

And giggling while doing so.

A good writer (Mailer sure thought he was one) handles both sexes, understands their motivations, and knows how to express these in an effective manner. None of these skills has ever been achieved by anyone using TVTropes.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The Charlie Stross novel that came out a few days ago has a newly-minted vampire freaking out and looking up his condition on wikipedia and tvtropes.

Said vampire is a complete shut-in who's only lived for work and study, blaming his lack of success with women on imagined halitosis instead of never actually doing anything.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Searching for :tvtropes: on TVTropes yields approximately 38,200 results.

I was browsing through them because I hate myself and came across the "Rape trope renames" thread, which was created due to one of the "Google Incidents".

The Streetcleaner posted:

It looks like an inferno is going to go off here, so I'll make one final post and then I'll be off the break in this new account by editing some pages:

1) If you think that not having tropes on the topic of rape is somehow ignoring that it goes on, you could stand to have your priorities rearranged.

2) Not treating rape as a trope allows for more thought-out handlings of the subject whenever it comes up, and gets rid of the trivializing aspect of having a shorthand for every type of rape and rape reactions.

3) Listing more tropes such as Unfortunate Implications or Double Standard doesn't adequately describe the horrors of rape, and is, IMO, trivializing.

4) The fact that the Rape Tropes cleanup only happened after the most recent Google Incident says a lot.

5) People shouted down other who suggested that a trigger warning should be placed atop rape trope pages, and dismissed the suggestion by saying that a trigger warning for rape would mean that there should be one for violent works.

6) I'm sure Eddie will re-allow rape tropes after a while. The flame wars or other cleanups will convince him.

7) This site, as much as I like it, has a user base that has time and again demonstrated an inability to handle sensitive and decisive topics with any form of taste. Removing the topic prevents mistreatment of the it.

8) The topic probably clashes with the family-friendly image.

9) The immature reactions that the cutting of these tropes ( Like the ones seen above. ) are proof that the user base might not be mature enough to handle this topic.

10) Absolutely zero people have been introspective on this, and nobody wants to even take a second to wonder if maybe us tropers are to blame. I don't agree with the heavy-handed approach or the cutting of the tropes, but not having them at all is better than having them in a place where they need to be constantly cleansed of skeevyness.

I don't want to get anyone angry, but these are my honest opinions on this. I won't respond, but feel free to tear me apart; I'm going to go make those edits.

Who is this beautiful human being? A savior of the Tropers or an undercover Goon?

Morven posted:

The Streetcleaner has been banned from Wiki editing based on stated intentions and admitted fact that it's an account created specifically to do this, probably a sock of someone else.

Oh.

From another thread, "Rape Is OK When It's Female on Male":

quote:

Is there a good reason why real life examples are not allowed?

Fortunately, this is the very first post so we don't need to read anything beyond it. (For those of you wondering, it only took 2 posts until some other guy said they think the trope is accurate.)

And here's a gross thread where the OP argues with everyone about how statutory rape is less bad than rape rape, especially if it's a woman having sex with underage boys: Double standards in "statutory rape" as opposed to rape.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Anticheese posted:

The Charlie Stross novel that came out a few days ago has a newly-minted vampire freaking out and looking up his condition on wikipedia and tvtropes.

Said vampire is a complete shut-in who's only lived for work and study, blaming his lack of success with women on imagined halitosis instead of never actually doing anything.

That actually sounds like it could be amazing :allears:

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Has anyone ever told tropers that rape is bad? As in, not something to be celebrated?

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Soulcleaver posted:

Has anyone ever told tropers that rape is bad? As in, not something to be celebrated?

They know there are tropes saying it's bad and not to be celebrated. Beyond that, your guess is as good as mine.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I figure it's a combination of several reasons.

1) General nerd/shut-in misogyny.
2) Lack of social skills making it difficult to emphasize with others.
3) Lack of social skills meaning a lack of social interaction, which means all sexual urges must be self-gratified, which renders one vulnerable to overstimulation and requiring ranging 'further afield' when it comes to aids in said self-gratification (I think this is also why you have so many people reading sexual meanings into so many inappropriate things: they have no proper release valve).
4) That 'nerd sexual fallacy' that the more exotic your sexual kinks are (and by extent how UNDERSTANDING and ACCEPTING and WORLDLY you are), the 'better' you are, not understanding that stuff like 'rape fantasies' is just dressed up rough sex. I honestly do not think any person truly WANTS to be raped, or is turned on by the concept, but that's a wholly different can of worms.
5) The hugbox making it so no one says 'Hey man, that's not right', or 'Hey buddy, you shouldn't talk about that', so people have their sense of shame slowly stripped away by being in the comforting echo chamber.

There's also lazy writing shorthand of rape being a sign of how evil the villain is/how another villain isn't so evil/why is woman is evil/why she's a thunderdere or whatever. It's a false maturity people seize onto for their egos.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Cornwind Evil posted:

I figure it's a combination of several reasons.

1) General nerd/shut-in misogyny.
2) Lack of social skills making it difficult to emphasize with others.
3) Lack of social skills meaning a lack of social interaction, which means all sexual urges must be self-gratified, which renders one vulnerable to overstimulation and requiring ranging 'further afield' when it comes to aids in said self-gratification (I think this is also why you have so many people reading sexual meanings into so many inappropriate things: they have no proper release valve).
4) That 'nerd sexual fallacy' that the more exotic your sexual kinks are (and by extent how UNDERSTANDING and ACCEPTING and WORLDLY you are), the 'better' you are, not understanding that stuff like 'rape fantasies' is just dressed up rough sex. I honestly do not think any person truly WANTS to be raped, or is turned on by the concept, but that's a wholly different can of worms.
5) The hugbox making it so no one says 'Hey man, that's not right', or 'Hey buddy, you shouldn't talk about that', so people have their sense of shame slowly stripped away by being in the comforting echo chamber.

There's also lazy writing shorthand of rape being a sign of how evil the villain is/how another villain isn't so evil/why is woman is evil/why she's a thunderdere or whatever. It's a false maturity people seize onto for their egos.

That poo poo about how writers try to redeem their villains by saying "Look, they HATE rapists too!" and having them kill a rapist or something is weak writing. If you want me to sympathize/empathize with a villain, you shouldn't have to have them kill some other scum. Scum A killing Scum B doesn't make Scum A good just because Scum B is worse then Scum A.

But of course BEEP BOOP tropers see it as a math equation or some poo poo where by committing evil against evil you cancel into good or something. loving Tropers.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

There is some truth that characters could redeem themselves when offing another character. An easy one was when Dearth Vader killed Palpatine to save Luke. But usually that requires things like a change of heart, or sacrificing themselves for the heroes. Usually it ends with them dead but it can be done.

On another note it doesn't make sense in logic form. If A >= Good and B >= Bad, then A + A = more Good and B + B = more Bad. If killing a rapist is "good" (I'm not going to even get into that can of worms) and the person killing is bad, then A + B != 0 or Good because the murder would have to be valued greater than the badness of the killer. And since most troper style villains are genocidal anime stereotypes a murder of one bad guy is not greater then the deaths of innocent lives. So a troper would think that killing a rapist is an act that would make a villain a better character as if murdering another guy wipes the slate clean of all his crimes, as if it didn't matter, like bad comic book writers.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Ninjasaurus posted:

From another thread, "Rape Is OK When It's Female on Male":

quote:

Is there a good reason why real life examples are not allowed?

Why yes! It's because real life isn't fiction, so why on earth do you need to categorize real life on a site devoted to cataloguing fiction ha ha it almost seems like literally the only way you can relate to other humans is by examining them under a tropelens instead of actually interacting with them in any sort of meaningful way ha ha wouldn't that be funny if anyone did that

Soulcleaver posted:

Beep boop "bad" is a subjective quality, who is to say all rape is bad.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Soulcleaver posted:

Tropes Are Tools.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Tropers seem like the type to unironically buy into "kinkshaming", anyway.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Swan Oat posted:

Tropes Are Tools.

Tropers Are Tools.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Ague Proof posted:

Tropers Are Tools.

http://www.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TropersAreTools

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

God drat it.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

sweeperbravo posted:

Yet they also seem to get really defensive when anyone calls anything they like oversexed or perverted.

And some tropers think that everyone who's not them are oversexed and perverted. I bet these guys (and girls) couldn't satisfy their own right hand or whatever stuffed toy they stole from their little sister's room and violated this week.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Ever noticed how cartoon characters never use the bathroom? There's a trope for that.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

quote:

EarthBound lampshades the aversion to the trope. They have bathrooms in the game, but they all are occupied or otherwise unusable. In the first bathroom you come to, walking towards the door will result in a cutscene where one guy rushes in ahead of you. Attempting to enter will make him say: "Occupied!"

What does "lampshades the aversion" mean again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

What does "lampshades the aversion" mean again?

oh good the tropes are going recursive

• Locked thread