Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
So what the hell IS the comvat? Google gives me fuckall on it despite it being bradley based as far as I can tell. Also, are there any BLUFOR units that I should never ever take?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Can't help you with the last question, but that's the COMVAT, I think.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't get why a Bradley with a bushmaster and itow would every be less desirable than a Bradley with a better autocannon. The bushmaster is no slouch anyway.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

Also, are there any BLUFOR units that I should never ever take?

Yes, all of them.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Justin Tyme posted:

If we're gonna go Full Sperg cav scouts shouldn't even be in the game at all since they are already represented in the recon tab as the Bradley, ACAV, Humvee, and Sheridan, and usually don't conduct recon dismounted (or very far from their vehicles, at least). Plus, I'm not EXACTLY sure how it is in a cavalry troop, but snipers are infantryman, not cavalry scouts, and if they did have snipers they'd be detached from a headquarters element. It'd make much more sense for ~realism~ to just make them be a LRS team since LRS can come in a variety of transports and have a sniper rifle.

Some US marshal is really fuckin dumb if they got cav scouts for the US as a goddamn sniper/dismount team, I thought marshals were supposed to be the stewards of milspergdom. Or, it could be the biggest insult if they are supposed to be infantry company RSTA squadron teams, because while they're cavalry squadrons, the dismount company is 100% infantry. They gave them a stetson as the ultimate troll. (infantry and cavalry have a blood feud)

I was in the dismount infantry company of a RSTA squadron in an infantry brigade, and it confused the ever living poo poo out of me there. I can't imagine what kind of spergery it would induce in RD.

Dandywalken posted:

They come in the standard US trucks, Humvee, M113 and Super Dragon 113, Huey, and UH60.

Cav Scouts, that is. M16 and Dragon II.

So....US cav scouts don't come in the quintessential cavalry vehicle? loving Eugen. The cav bradley is already in the game. Or just say gently caress it, do something unique and let them go in the Mk 19 Humvee, the minigun humvee, or the TOW 2 Humvee. At least that way they'll have a gimmick (get a funky transport along with your infantry) that might make them interesting and give the US infantry some special flavor.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 4, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cavalry guys not getting Bradleys would be hella weird. Do people still say that? M35 trucks would be downright hilarious. Like the Cav version of the short schoolbus.

I don't mind US infantry not getting humvees with mk.19s and miniguns because you know they'd be 20 points. Like the Marder 1A3!

Seriously though, a unit specifically derived from US mechanized infantry not getting the Bradley would be nuts.

Wouldn't the US sniper/scout unit just be called Scout Snipers? I know those exist in the US military and you have to admit it's a pretty convenient and descriptive name. A lot better than Mountaineers meaning "regular guys but with super dragons." Or is Scout Sniper specifically a Marine thing?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

drat, just like the DDR Tunguska, Eugen is putting a lot of effort into making pretty skins for the new units that don't have new models. A fast heavy iron bomber with some ECM is just what the DDR was missing.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker
I'll be interested to see what the heavy SAM rebalance entails. That's the only thing we haven't really heard anything about yet I think.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is that 8 FAB 500s? :swoon:

Tunguska-M is still not worth 90 points, jesus.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Seriously though does anyone know if the Q-5D is broken or working as intended? It's kind of a big deal for Red Dragon to have an actual good* bomber.

*The J-7 bombers have good payloads but they die to a stiff breeze.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Last I checked they upped it to 20HE but forgot to change the splash. I pointed this out but no idea if it got fixed.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Arglebargle III posted:

Wouldn't the US sniper/scout unit just be called Scout Snipers? I know those exist in the US military and you have to admit it's a pretty convenient and descriptive name. A lot better than Mountaineers meaning "regular guys but with super dragons." Or is Scout Sniper specifically a Marine thing?

Scout Snipers are a USMC thing. I think Army snipers are just called "snipers."

If we're going to complain about US infantry names, topping the list are TACOM and Assault Engineers.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Arglebargle III posted:

I dunno why but I feel like the meta has gotten better. Or at least I'm getting better at it. The biggest problem the last couple weeks had been getting Conquest games. I never see a lot of our best players from a few months ago. Come back! Soviet expensive poo poo is viable!

Sorry, I stopped being a fat lazy American and picked up working out in the mornings. I'll try and drop in at the regular times if people are still on, though!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Mortabis posted:

Scout Snipers are a USMC thing. I think Army snipers are just called "snipers."

If we're going to complain about US infantry names, topping the list are TACOM and Assault Engineers.

It's not perfectly incorrect though. For instance in my unit, when we were still straight infantry and hadn't transitioned to RSTA yet, it would have been correct because all of our snipers came from the battalion recon scout platoon. So all of our snipers were scouts, but not all of our scouts were snipers.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Leif. posted:

It's not perfectly incorrect though. For instance in my unit, when we were still straight infantry and hadn't transitioned to RSTA yet, it would have been correct because all of our snipers came from the battalion recon scout platoon. So all of our snipers were scouts, but not all of our scouts were snipers.

I too was in the dismounted infantry company in a RSTA squadron, that's ironic. Our snipers were in headquarters platoon and were just lucky dudes that got pulled from the 2 recon platoons. We never called them scout snipers, just "the snipers", like "for this mission team 2 will have the snipers attached" or whatever; this was full-on RTSA though, the only infantry dudes in HHT were the PSD for the SGM and SCO and all the other broke fat dudes who worked in the S shops. That's how it is for the maneuver battalions though, their scout sections are at the battalion level. It always pissed us off because whenever we had to work with them they were so garbage compared to us but they got all the cool stuff on the reg like blackhawk jumps.

Which is why I say calling them LRS teams will be much easier to rationalize from a sperg perspective even if the scope of the game's maps would probably be more RSTA and less LRS oriented. Giving the unit card stetsons is an insult to dedicated dismounted recon teams :argh:

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 4, 2014

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Something interesting I read regarding Soviet vs. Western cold war artillery in the ISIS thread on D&D:

Mightypeon posted:

--What was deeply worrying about the entire thing was my Hauptfeldwebel in the Bundeswehr (German army). He earlier served in the East German NVA, and thus had experience with various Soviet artillery systems, the American M109 and the German PZH2000.
He rated the M109 as "*****", greatly appreciated the Soviet system for being quite smart and robust (they had semiautomated loading procedures, M109 is fully manual, the US tried to do a fully automatics loading system with the crusader, but that was a trainwreck, PZH2000 is also semi auto) Soviet stuff and considered himself to be really happy about German stuff made in 2000 finally being better than Soviet stuff made in the 80s. Thankfully, the Russians didnt do much artillery design between 1990 and 2003.

The guys was pretty funny in general. Guess what the average reaction of a East German NVA soldier was when they discovered that the West German army actually went home at 17 o clock on Friday...

Funny how Akatsiyas actually just blow in game instead.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

It isnt remarkable IRL either? It really is the M109's contemporary. Its a standard SPG lol.

MSTA is what needs some love most of all, IMO. Accuracy tightening for the 2S3 wouldnt go amiss though.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

From what Greasegunner was saying in mumble one day, the Bradley needs a HUGE accuracy buff since the gunsight can lock on to targets and auto-lead things like some sort of fighter jet dogfight HUD and there is no reason the Bradley should be spraying rounds all over the place.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Justin Tyme posted:

From what Greasegunner was saying in mumble one day, the Bradley needs a HUGE accuracy buff since the gunsight can lock on to targets and auto-lead things like some sort of fighter jet dogfight HUD and there is no reason the Bradley should be spraying rounds all over the place.

Most of the early autocannons seem to be unrealistically inaccurate.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Panzeh posted:

I remember getting 2 comvats in firing range of a bunch of helos and light vehicles.

NO KILLS

Granted they were panicked, but they burned through most of their ammo and didn't even manage to pop a BMP1 at close range.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Panzeh posted:

60 should be enough, I hope :P

RARDEN is least accuracy, but getting a bit of a boost in the 90's vehicles.

2A42 still needs a boost IMO for non-heliborne platforms.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't get why a Bradley with a bushmaster and itow would every be less desirable than a Bradley with a better autocannon. The bushmaster is no slouch anyway.

COMVAT was an experimental project to upgun the Bradley with a higher-calibre autocannon, with Step 2 being to find a way to fit the ATGM back in IIRC. The reason was because the Pentagon brass got wind of some of the rumored BMP-3 features and came to the conclusion that 25mm simply wasn't going to be enough. The project then died because the Cold War ended.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Didn't see this posted, so this is our tank rebalance:

I approve wholeheartedly.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
:stare: if the Leo 2 has 60% acc, what do the M1A2 and Leclerc have?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Mortabis posted:

More than 100% IIRC, the shots actually richochet off and you get multikills.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
They haven't shown off any new infantry yet, have they? I want to know what's in store for '85 and '90 updates of NSWP inf squads.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mortabis posted:

Top attack.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Not many upgrades by year, but a good bit of brand new units. The Czech fire-support teams in particular look very cool, as does the Polish one :)

EDIT: Welp, read the 4 chan thread for Wargame. Its great how you can tell who is who from the official forums just by the poo poo they post there.

quote:

10 ROF is not realistic for manual load. Nationalism got us into that mess, that and whiny americans.

8 rate of fire is the actual ROF for soviet autoloaders. And 6 ROF is what most 120mm manually loaded grews can put out.

WHO EVER COULD IT BE????

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 5, 2014

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

You can stop getting excited for the DLC now guys.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
4chan Red Dragon has some awful and annoying people in it with terrible opinions, who all love destruction. That T-72A looks fine though; also T-72B1s getting 50/40 acc, T-72Bs being 95 pts, autocannons becoming boss weapons etc etc... rebalance looks pretty awesome to me.

I thought this image was a little more interesting though:

8x Igla Mi-24V for USSR and R-60M Mi-24VP for DDR. Also why are the ATGMs blocked off? Are they Atakas or something?

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 5, 2014

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I was trawling the 4chan thread around the time the closed beta was about to start. It's about as bad as the official forums, in some cases worse.

And thank christ for that Igla hind, although I think would prefer a cheaper one with fewer missiles.

Isn't the T-72A currently 55 points? Why would it go up?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mortabis posted:

I was trawling the 4chan thread around the time the closed beta was about to start. It's about as bad as the official forums, in some cases worse.

And thank christ for that Igla hind, although I think would prefer a cheaper one with fewer missiles.

Isn't the T-72A currently 55 points? Why would it go up?

More accuracy, stab, and 8 RPM autoloader? I'm almost certain the immunity to morale degradation is going to be a huge thing, since its (still) way overmodelled in RD. Time will tell though.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Wait autoloaders are actually getting morale immunity now? Seriously?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mortabis posted:

Wait autoloaders are actually getting morale immunity now? Seriously?

Yep. Its going to be a big change.

Autoloader quality scales from 7 for bad ones to 9 for top-end. Manual loaders get 9 at top end as well. My fear is that at panicked, manual is going to be doing like 4 RPM, which just isnt going to work. I've not run the numbers though, and Vasily's findings show that it actually works out ok in the end I think?

gently caress it, I'm gonna peep the files.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Yeeeaaahh I'm going to file this in the overstuffed folder labeled "psuedo-realistic grognard induced terrible ideas."

e: on second thought M8s are gonna own even harder than they already do (unless they got rid of the 15 ROF :ohdear:)

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 5, 2014

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

autoloaders getting RoF degradation immunity is Extremely My poo poo :getin: I just hope they add an [AUTO] tag to guns with autoloaders to be able to easily tell which tanks have them.

I am so excited for this new DLC, East German Mechanized is gonna be gnarly with a Tunguska and decent iron bomber + buffed autocannons

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mortabis posted:

Yeeeaaahh I'm going to file this in the overstuffed folder labeled "psuedo-realistic grognard induced terrible ideas."

e: on second thought M8s are gonna own even harder than they already do (unless they got rid of the 15 ROF :ohdear:)

13 now :(

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Guggs, based on how far along the marshals patch is, how soon do you think they'll actually release the DLC? Within the month?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Absolutely. I see a release this month entirely within the realm of possibility, and in fact very likely. FLX has been busting his rear end by the sound of things :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Justin Tyme posted:

autoloaders getting RoF degradation immunity is Extremely My poo poo :getin: I just hope they add an [AUTO] tag to guns with autoloaders to be able to easily tell which tanks have them.

I am so excited for this new DLC, East German Mechanized is gonna be gnarly with a Tunguska and decent iron bomber + buffed autocannons

I want to know if Mot-Schutzen and FJB-40 are getting year updates, or any swank new transports.

• Locked thread