Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

If you can't find grith just ask in chat or mumble and several people should be able to move you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Since wutang dan is gone for the week end I changed the structure of the guild a bit. We got new crony positions so enjoy sucking up to people for a title and no respect.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gG7tUMoC9aGxuFjesHOyrrCpwjpXuuIe4a56QH46r-4/pubhtml

The upper ranks are just to help organize poo poo in the guild structure so people stop complaining about things.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 5, 2014

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

If anyone is considering buying outfits from the marketplace keep in mind that if some of them come in random colors. In most games that's be cool and all but dyes in this game are a complete rip off.

Dyes boxes cost 50 sycee which sounds ok but you get a random color and, the real kicker, they require 10+ of the same color. The other option is to buy 15 random color dyes and hope you get reasonable colors on your outfit. You can also choose to lock a color for 300 sycee but it is all still a giant rip off.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Third World Reggin posted:

Since wutang dan is gone for the week end I changed the structure of the guild a bit. We got new crony positions so enjoy sucking up to people for a title and no respect.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gG7tUMoC9aGxuFjesHOyrrCpwjpXuuIe4a56QH46r-4/pubhtml

The upper ranks are just to help organize poo poo in the guild structure so people stop complaining about things.

Please make Troika a Red Phoenix Lord :3:

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
In case anyone somehow finds themselves without something to do in this game, remember that our fellow guilds have very thoughtfully left valuable building materials laying around their bases for us to utilize.

You should be careful, as sometimes their affection grows so great and fervent that the only solution is to incapacitate them. For their own good, of course.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It turns out that leaders of branches and captains can remove people from their branch or assign members to any branches. They can not touch another branch.

So lets not move people to white tiger automatically. That makes less work for me.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 5, 2014

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

If people are interested in it, and hopefully there are, we should totally start doing arena practices every night. It's a great way to learn your class and a lot of fun too.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Dryzen posted:

If people are interested in it, and hopefully there are, we should totally start doing arena practices every night. It's a great way to learn your class and a lot of fun too.

Fight club would be a good idea. Sets work a bit differently when you aren't fighting npcs and learning what works better is pretty handy. For example people should learn that jumping alone does not defeat harmony.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

randombattle posted:

Fight club would be a good idea. Sets work a bit differently when you aren't fighting npcs and learning what works better is pretty handy. For example people should learn that jumping alone does not defeat harmony.

Apparently my write up completely deterred everyone from playing the loving school and a gently caress load of goons rolled Wu Tang. I don't know what the deal is but we were getting rolled big time by Shaolin and other big aoe classes in a small guild war yesterday and really need some of those group aoe nuke/CC schools if we want to win some of these wars. What I am saying is hold up on the Wu Tang fad we need at least some kind of diversity and don't write off Harmony because I said some poo poo about 1v1 arena pvp. Arena pvp is a whole different ball game with the scaling and the format. There is so many other ways to skin your enemies alive in this game.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jul 5, 2014

Silentplanet
Oct 14, 2012

Drinkfist posted:

Apparently my write up completely deterred everyone from playing the loving school and a gently caress load of goons rolled Wu Tang. I don't know what the deal is but we were getting rolled big time by Shaolin and other big aoe classes in a small guild war yesterday and really need some of those group aoe nuke/CC schools if we want to win some of these wars. What I am saying is hold up on the Wu Tang fad we need at least some kind of diversity and don't write off Harmony because I said some poo poo about 1v1 arena pvp. Arena pvp is a whole different ball game with the scaling and the format. There is so many other ways to skin your enemies alive in this game.

Would emei be something we need then?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I'm surprised everyone went Wu-Tang, heard a lot of people talking Tong and Splendor and Harmony and blah blah blah. And of course the "Which is RG? Sun and Moon? Ok!" group.

I went Wu-Tang too

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
I picked sun and moon(now at 33, starting to fell the wall) but i'm still undecided if it will be my main. If anyone can tell me a class the guild need more off i can play it. Currently leveling a harmony to 30 to see how it goes.

Maybe people choice was affected with memory of how good Wu-Dang was in early AOW day. That and they have the biggest sword, so you know, phallic symbol and all that.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

Drinkfist posted:

Apparently my write up completely deterred everyone from playing the loving school and a gently caress load of goons rolled Wu Tang.

Wushu syndrome

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

aleksendr posted:

Maybe people choice was affected with memory of how good Wu-Dang was in early AOW day. That and they have the biggest sword, so you know, phallic symbol and all that.

The irony is their most fun set actively throws the sword away to punch people in the face. drat thing is a giant stat carrying paperweight as far as far as I'm concerned.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

funakupo posted:

Wushu syndrome

As a former WV player, I'm still shell shocked by my time [picked Sun and Moon :haw:]

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

KildarX posted:

As a former WV player, I'm still shell shocked by my time [picked Sun and Moon :haw:]

Sun and Moon are Awesome. Who would not want to be lead to victory in the jianghu by a transgender madman obsessed with embroidery and needles who got the job of leader by turning the previous occupant mad with acupuncture on his brain.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

aleksendr posted:

Sun and Moon are Awesome. Who would not want to be lead to victory in the jianghu by a transgender madman obsessed with embroidery and needles who got the job of leader by turning the previous occupant mad with acupuncture on his brain.

I'm more awed by the fact his name is The Undefeatable East.

Some of these cut scenes have out China gamed wu Shu. In one I saw a lich explode himself to try and kill me. In another a lady picked me up and flew off with an umbrella.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 5, 2014

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

KildarX posted:

Eventually you get to spin a boisterous tale of how you defeated him to entertain a bunch of drunk peach tree saints. I also think the east lady is him when he fancy to go in drag and wander the jianghu.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

aleksendr posted:

Eventually you get to spin a boisterous tale of how you defeated him to entertain a bunch of drunk peach tree saints. I also think the east lady is him when he fancy to go in drag and wander the jianghu.

That quest was great, but not as great as the quest which ends up with you getting so smashed on wine you end up putting the moves on a very sexy statue

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

KildarX posted:

Some of these cut scenes have out China gamed wu Shu. In one I saw a lich explode himself to try and kill me. In another a lady picked me up and flew off with an umbrella.

"Dongfang is the leader of the Sun Moon Holy Cult (日月神教). He castrated himself to learn the skills in the Sunflower Manual and becomes a formidable martial artist. His castration and supreme prowess in martial arts make him one of the most memorable and classic characters in Jin Yong's wuxia universe, and his name has become synonymous with homosexuality and sexual perversion in Chinese popular culture"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dongfang_Bubai

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Haroshia posted:

"Dongfang"

Can we adopt him like we adopted the Dongfangs in WuShu?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Made a Shaolin as Minsoo. The amount of ex wushu players in this game is ridiculous given I just saw EzraScarlet in game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Being a Sun Moon is a lot of fun, yeah. I also enjoy how their second set (haven't gotten their third one yet) is basically HOW MANY WAYS CAN YOU SPIN TO VICTORY? From literally spinning like a top, to spinning like a buzzsaw in midair, to a literal goddamn Izuna Drop.

I just wish their acupuncture skill wasn't so hard to land. It just seems to have a really finicky range to it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Ahaha

So we upgraded our stuff and gained new ranks

Here is our new chart. Bribes are accepted.

Every week end you can vote for how the officers are doing. This affects their pay from the guild. The pay is unbound.

To rate your favorites open the guild interface, go to the guild tab, look under guild news. There are two buttons you can press then you can vote so that no one can get paid.

I can also just turn off their salary.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Being a Sun Moon is a lot of fun, yeah. I also enjoy how their second set (haven't gotten their third one yet) is basically HOW MANY WAYS CAN YOU SPIN TO VICTORY? From literally spinning like a top, to spinning like a buzzsaw in midair, to a literal goddamn Izuna Drop.

I just wish their acupuncture skill wasn't so hard to land. It just seems to have a really finicky range to it.

Wait until you get the third set where you enter overdrive mode

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yes, compared to Harmony one the range is very short. Hopefully "Jianghu Lost arts" may be able to patch this weakness.

More on dear leader Dongfang :

http://www.wuxiaedge.com/joe-chen-endorses-swordsman-online-as-dongfang-bubai/

much better than Jet-Li as a fisherman in my opinion.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Drinkfist posted:

I thought Wu Tang was supposed to be good in group pvp? The early leveling is so fast that I'm leveling all 3 slots right now. Game's so new the only way to really get a sense of a class is to play it. I'm in the clan as a Wu Tang just because that's the first one I tried.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Kegslayer posted:

Made a Shaolin as Minsoo. The amount of ex wushu players in this game is ridiculous given I just saw EzraScarlet in game.

i'm starting to think this is our "WoW" while Age of Wushu was our "Everquest". WoW won over Eq player by being less bullshit (less player idling to recuperate, less punishment on death, no corpse run, etc.), more streamlined, better managed and less serious. Swordsman online exhibit many of the same characteristics in relation to AOW so far.

Sadly it was also more casual friendly.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 5, 2014

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I've got an urge to play a crazy chinese kungfu game, and I figured why not try the new one that came out.

A couple questions: Is there a particular control style I should definitely be using if I want to PvP down the road, or are they all pretty viable if you're comfortable with them? Action is going to give me fits, since like most Chinagames, Y-axis inversion doesn't seem to exist. I can deal with it more if I'm not actively moving the camera around for precision crosshair aiming like that, though.

Second, I'm between Shaolin and Splendor for what I want to play first. I'll probably have an alt of each, but any goon advice on which one would be better to play starting out?

Also, my (intended) Shaolin guy ended up with the default portrait because I forgot to change it during character creation, so now his portrait is the default Chinese grocery store romance novel portrait. I'd just recreate, but apparently I'd have to wait a week to get my name back and I really don't care THAT much. Does the portrait show up that often in game? Doesn't seem like it'd be something I'd have to look at very much anyway.

Mr. Safe
Apr 18, 2009
I'm planning on crafting Sun & Moon weapons, if we're planning on divvying that up. Is crafting at all worthwhile in this game, anyway?

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Mr. Safe posted:

I'm planning on crafting Sun & Moon weapons, if we're planning on divvying that up. Is crafting at all worthwhile in this game, anyway?

NOPE

Like crafting potions for yourself lets you make potions for 10 bronze notes instead of buying them for like 10 silver, and food is the same

making weapons and armor and jewelry is [not] worth it for a lot of reasons that I don't want to mention right now.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I think weapon crafting might be useful late game but early on the gear tokens are so plentiful that the blue weapons are good enough.

Also for anyone thinking about what school to go you should probably remember that this isn't wushu and your gonna end up doing stuff depending on your choice. Your gonna be tanking healing or whatever depending on your school so keep that in mind. Most schools can do some decent dps but specialize in one are like if you really wanna do the most single target dps you should go harmony, if you wanna heal go emei, ect.

Pavlov posted:

I thought Wu Tang was supposed to be good in group pvp? The early leveling is so fast that I'm leveling all 3 slots right now. Game's so new the only way to really get a sense of a class is to play it. I'm in the clan as a Wu Tang just because that's the first one I tried.

Wu tang have group lockdowns but not as much aoe damage as other schools. They keep guys in one spot as tanks but you need another class for superior aoe damage.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Applying to the guild as Mundane in a bit and dropping out as Average. Wu-Tang is fun, but it's definitely not my playstyle, and I'm starting to adore Emei's box of tricks now that I've hit the second set. Time will tell if I abandon Emei for Sun and Moon eventually, but so far it's got the massive toolbox of skills that I generally like to have in these sorts of games, but is a little lacking in damage.

Edit: Tip to new players - USE POTIONS AND FOOD! They're cheap and keep you topped off for very little investment.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 5, 2014

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The Main Quest gives you so many potions that you will probably end up throwing some away. Especially since, even using them regularly, there's a fair chance you'll have more than 100 of the low level potions still when you start getting better quality potions.

BobTheVillain
Apr 25, 2009

The perfect counter argument, coming right up.
Applied as TokyoRose

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I get on the forums for the first time in a few weeks after some intense job poo poo to find this message: "Get over here to Swordsman Online. It is really fun and has a fuckton of zainy poo poo going on." - Drinkfist.

Looks like I'm playing another loving MMO. WOOHOO!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Lawlicaust posted:

I get on the forums for the first time in a few weeks after some intense job poo poo to find this message: "Get over here to Swordsman Online. It is really fun and has a fuckton of zainy poo poo going on." - Drinkfist.

It's pretty fun and even plays itself if you want it to!

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Lawlicaust posted:

Join the chinagame2.exe party.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey just checking, can you do story missions with a team or is it all solo as I suspect it is...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Dirk the Average posted:

Tip to new players - USE POTIONS AND FOOD! They're cheap and keep you topped off for very little investment.

When people write the Harmony school is "fragile" they are not joking. My Sun and Moon started using potion in spots at the early 30. My Harmony is chugging them like an addict since level 15. She sure dish out plenty of damage but she cant take any and i even managed to get pecked to death by chickens when using the vortex skill at the wrong time, pulling to much aggro to handle.

• Locked thread