Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

Naffer posted:

I know this is from the last page but I wanted to say that one of my family members got a refurbished 925 from Tmobile for $150 and it's a really nice phone. It supports their Wifi calling, LTE, glance, plus it has a nice OLED display and feels really nice in your hand. I've been using a 521 for a while and you can really tell the difference between a $400 (retail, new) phone and a sub $120 one. The refurb one is $200 on Tmobile's site but if you have a plan and login it is priced at $150. The one they shipped me looks essentially brand new.

I replaced my 925 with a 1020 and I'll probably make an SA-Mart thread for the 925 in the near future if anyone's interested, I'd sell it pretty reasonably. It was a refurb but looks practically new and I only used it for a month and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Drastic Actions posted:

That's why I like Google Play Music. I can throw all of my (legally purchased off of iTunes) Japanese music into the music locker and access it anywhere, and it's free on top of it. Unless I'm on Wifi I don't stream from it, but I do rotate pin albums for offline listening. There is no Windows Phone client for it beyond some decent third-party clients, but they only go so far.

But having streaming apps is no excuse for not having a decent music/sync app though. It's a valid workflow that Windows Phone completely fails on at the moment.

Hypothetical: If there was a Windows Phone app that connected to cloud service(s) where your personal music collection was stored, and streamed the files down to your phone, what's an acceptable price? Free only otherwise forget it? $2.99? $3.99?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Factor Mystic posted:

Hypothetical: If there was a Windows Phone app that connected to cloud service(s) where your personal music collection was stored, and streamed the files down to your phone, what's an acceptable price? Free only otherwise forget it? $2.99? $3.99?

An acceptable price? I guess it depends on how much space it offers and what other services it provides. Google's music locker is free and let's you store 20,000 songs (more than enough for me) so that kinda wins by default. Xbox Music/OneDrive was rumored for awhile to offer a music locker service at some point, which would be great as it works on more platforms. If it was free with whatever OneDrive storage you have that would be cool too, but I'm flexible I guess. It depends on the features. The real key is having a base app that works at all :v:.

Having a music locker service helps get around the holes these services have. Most of them don't have the music I want, so I can fill them in myself.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well TMobile 635 has an actual date now, still not poo poo for 8.1 devices from AT&T though. :(

http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/07/01/power-packed-lumia-635-launches-u-s/

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Maneki Neko posted:

Well TMobile 635 has an actual date now, still not poo poo for 8.1 devices from AT&T though. :(

"The successor to the Lumia 521..." Uhhh :confused: I'd assume the 63x would be the successor to the 62x. Is there no 53x planned?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

There are rumors of one for the fall and if you compare the 52x to the 63x they're actually pretty similar feature wise. A spiritual successor I suppose. :v:

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Maneki Neko posted:

But can I buy it up front from Walmart for cheap?

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, those are also options, although more painful ones, and the HD7 and Venue Pro and kind of crappy choices compared to the Focus.

The microSD card slot on the Focus is easily accessible, but it gets "stitched together" with the 8 gigs of onboard space to make a unified storage space (adding/removing the card is a hard reset situation though). The Focus was always pretty sensitive to the speed of the MicroSD card used, and it took me 2 or 3 cards before I found a usable one, but having 40 gigs of onboard space was nice.

Yeah, the HD7 looks like a complete pain in the rear end to replace. The Venue Pro, on the other hand, isn't nearly as bad since the microSD slot is in the battery bay and only protected by safety tape. However, there is no built-in eject mechanism so a fine point tool like a needle is needed to wiggle the card out until you have enough to pull on it.

If there aren't any other suggestions, I guess I'll be getting a Focus to get my modern Zune experience on the go.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

PSA: Don't update the Calendar app. It crashes left and right.

gently caress. Read this too late. Can't even add appointments now. Congrats, MS, you managed to literally break the loving CALENDAR.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Because I live in Canada which has poo poo data plans and I'm commuting like four hours every day. It would probably be cheaper to hire a band to sit on the train with me and play music than it would to go over my stupid bitcap by streaming their music :|

I would contribute to your Indiegogo campaign just to see this happen. But only if you adhere to proper CanCon regulations :canada:

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Jeherrin posted:

gently caress. Read this too late. Can't even add appointments now. Congrats, MS, you managed to literally break the loving CALENDAR.

They've already updated the Calendar app to something which works again (now at version 1.0.14127.247).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No idea what MS did but this morning a bunch of my apps seemed to lose their preferences. Weather was removed from my lock screen. When I launched it, it claimed that there were new Terms to accept, which is fine. The pinned icon on my phone reverted to generic "weather" though, and when I pinned the location I usually have pinned, it created a second Weather tile.

Also when I tried to launch MetroTube it told me there was an error, I needed to upgrade to paid or re-download it. I deleted it but now I can't find the free one in the store so I don't know if that's the reason. If that's the case, that's sort of a lovely way to run an app store -- to force people to delete an app that they've been using just because a paid one is out.

edit: I think I'm a shitter and that Metrotube thing was just my "trial" running out because I found it on the store again and clicked "try" and it's running OK again until I guess my trial runs out again. Should just give the dude $0.99 already.

The rest of the stuff I still have no explanation for though.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 3, 2014

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
My HTC 8X's battery life is hammered any time the screen is on these days, so I'm having to be extremely conservative with using it until I get home.

This has led me to get a Moto G as a replacement until my contract is up and I can oggle the juicy flagships next year. I'll get drunk and post about a modern male in the 21st Century straddling two smartphone platforms and seeing what's different, what I like, what I don't like, what I miss.

I know, no one cares.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My HTC 8X's battery life is hammered any time the screen is on these days, so I'm having to be extremely conservative with using it until I get home.

Yeah, what's up with that? I can feel my HTC 8X getting hot as it sits there in my pocket, on the home screen, with only Cortana allowed to run in the background. Why does it get so hot?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ljw1004 posted:

Yeah, what's up with that? I can feel my HTC 8X getting hot as it sits there in my pocket, on the home screen, with only Cortana allowed to run in the background. Why does it get so hot?

I take it you're on 8.1? I'm sure there's a software bug not turning off WiFi or the CPU or GPU or GPS or something. I don't have Cortana but I've picked up the phone a few times and it's almost painful to touch, it's so hot.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

This has led me to get a Moto G as a replacement until my contract is up and I can oggle the juicy flagships next year. I'll get drunk and post about a modern male in the 21st Century straddling two smartphone platforms and seeing what's different, what I like, what I don't like, what I miss.

I know, no one cares.

You'll love the G. It's got the best battery life in class and has everything going for it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Stick100 posted:

You'll love the G. It's got the best battery life in class and has everything going for it.

How's performance compared with the 8X?

Chamook
Nov 17, 2006

wheeeeeeeeeeeeee

WattsvilleBlues posted:

r I'll get drunk and post about a modern male in the 21st Century straddling two smartphone platforms and seeing what's different, what I like, what I don't like, what I miss.

I know, no one cares.

I would be very interested in such a comparison post. My wife has been getting more and more annoyed with her windows phone and is considering going back to android, so a summary of how it feels to switch would be nice.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How's performance compared with the 8X?

Performance is an odd word esp. when comparing platforms, but it should nearly never hitch which was the primary bullet point that iOS and WP held up against Android.

Since you're new to the platform go ahead and enjoy it but one thing that will speed the phone up is you can disable or speed up system animations this will make the phone lighting fast.

Here is how you enable developer options, but only do this if you want to speed up the animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tadzwOYAXcc

Then go to developer options and set every animation to off. Also feel free to join the android phone thread although it gets a little* weird in there sometimes*.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3583699

Make sure to skip to the end because there is about 300* more posting than WP and the thread moves really fast.
*very
*always

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 2, 2014

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

FYI there already appears to be a hotfix for that Calendar bug and I can create appointments again so if you'd been holding off on updating you can go ahead and do that now.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I've noticed that the bing news live tile finally updates so I don't have to go into the app to see which famous BBC entertainer from the 70s has been done for being a kiddie fiddler! It also notifies me of when a breaking news happens, which it hasn't done in a month so I was surprised at that.

Things have certainly been improving for me, even tough the Xbox music app is still a pile of crap.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Chamook posted:

I would be very interested in such a comparison post. My wife has been getting more and more annoyed with her windows phone and is considering going back to android, so a summary of how it feels to switch would be nice.

Okie dokie, it should be delivered tomorrow so I can do first impressions if you like, then in a few weeks I can chime in once I've got to grips with positives and negatives. I get all excited for new gadgets but I'll try not to get too hyperbolic.

Stick100 posted:

Performance is an odd word esp. when comparing platforms, but it should nearly never hitch which was the primary bullet point that iOS and WP held up against Android.

Since you're new to the platform go ahead and enjoy it but one thing that will speed the phone up is you can disable or speed up system animations this will make the phone lighting fast.

Here is how you enable developer options, but only do this if you want to speed up the animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tadzwOYAXcc

Then go to developer options and set every animation to off. Also feel free to join the android phone thread although it gets a little* weird in there sometimes*.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3583699

Make sure to skip to the end because there is about 300* more posting than WP and the thread moves really fast.
*very
*always

Been on the Android thread for a fair bit lurking, asking stuff occasionally. Cheers for the animations suggestion - I can't fathom why all the platforms make their animations so slow. I know they hide loading times with them sometimes but to me it just feels trite.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Nokia 925 with 8.1 that says "no new updates" available and I have two questions:

1) How the gently caress do I tell if I have app updates available or not? The old store had a pretty obvious "4 apps need updating" or whatever, I don't see anything similar here.
2) Best recommended podcast app at this point?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

smr posted:

Nokia 925 with 8.1 that says "no new updates" available and I have two questions:

1) How the gently caress do I tell if I have app updates available or not? The old store had a pretty obvious "4 apps need updating" or whatever, I don't see anything similar here.
2) Best recommended podcast app at this point?

Do you have it set to automatically install updates? Store -> settings and check for updates to force. You can see what it has installed in store -> downloads -> history

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I get regular notifications in the drag-down like "4 apps have updated", etc.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
So the Xbox Music team is opening up their APIs even more, with access to music streaming and other authenication features. (Technically it was announced at Build, but it's more available now)

I'm really tempted to create an Awful Music® app, so we can have a music player that can use Xbox Music and won't be totally crap. If anyone has any design ideas or features they want, let me know. If I actually do start something, I'll throw something up in Project.log.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Drastic Actions posted:

So the Xbox Music team is opening up their APIs even more, with access to music streaming and other authenication features. (Technically it was announced at Build, but it's more available now)

I'm really tempted to create an Awful Music® app, so we can have a music player that can use Xbox Music and won't be totally crap. If anyone has any design ideas or features they want, let me know. If I actually do start something, I'll throw something up in Project.log.

Awful DJ® that picks tracks based on the threads you are reading. :getin:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

I'm really tempted to create an Awful Music app, so we can have a music player that can use Xbox Music and won't be totally crap. If anyone has any design ideas or features they want, let me know. If I actually do start something, I'll throw something up in Project.log.

A custom file library implementation with custom tag reading, if that's possible at all. Anything that doesn't depend on the broken music library and poor tag reading in vanilla WP8 would be amazing. The actual playback would naturally still have to be via the system libraries.
I don't care for streaming music myself, not on the phone at least.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
The ability to play one song, and then play another song after that.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

nielsm posted:

I don't care for streaming music myself, not on the phone at least.

When you say you don't care for streaming music, are you meaning that you're uninterested in casual radio-like auto-curated services (like Pandora) or that you don't care for the on-demand transport of music to your device?

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Factor Mystic posted:

When you say you don't care for streaming music, are you meaning that you're uninterested in casual radio-like auto-curated services (like Pandora) or that you don't care for the on-demand transport of music to your device?

Personally, with T-Mobile in Seattle+Redmond, and Comcast at home, I don't have a reliable enough network infrastructure to stream music. Also streaming eats up too much battery on the device. It would be more battery-efficient in all cases to run the wifi/cellular capabilities at full-blast to download the entire song, then switch off while you play the song locally. (PS. yes, Comcast should be good enough to stream music, but ******)

And personally, what I listen to is talk programmes from BBC radio, which I get through custom download tools and isn't available on any online service.

Want I want from a music app:

* Ability to browse + download audio from BBC IPlayer. (Currently I use "Listen Again" to browse, which is poor at browsing and terrible at downloading. And I use "Episodic" to download and play, though it's terrible at browsing and clunky at playing.)

* Ability for those programmes to be stored in my OneDrive, not just locally on my Windows Phone.

* "Sleepy-time" ability. I fall asleep listening to talk radio programmes. I typically want my music app to just play the current programme, and then stop. When each programme is 30mins or 60mins long there's little value in a playlist. The build in audio Windows Phone app was pretty bad at this, and I had to download a separate app called "Stop Music" which simply stopped all music and erased the current playlist.

* Streaming to UPnP and Airplay devices. When I'm at home, I don't care to fire up iTunes on my Windows machine. I just want my phone to start playing to my remote speakers.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Gourd of Taste posted:

The ability to play one song, and then play another song after that.

I'd love the ability to tap a song in a playlist and have it play that one instead of some other song.

Oh also, WinPhone 8.1 sorts apps in the All Apps list really strangely. In WP8 when you look at the alphabet index, the Globe symbol is always used for apps with non-English names. In this example, I'll use 虾米 (Xiami in pinyin, a music app).

In 8.1, the Globe section is now empty, and all non-English apps are sorted by letters that wouldn't even exist in the local language. For example, 虾米 shows up under X (for "Xia").

This isn't really a bad thing, because at least it's now sorted better than "dump all non-English apps into the same section together." But then, why is the Globe icon still in the sorting list? It's defunct, and just fills space when it doesn't need to.

Edit: And as an interesting bit of UI consistency, Xbox Music app doesn't even bother with a Globe icon in the album/artist sorting index, and instead uses "..." which is an interesting place to shove non-English titles. Though for some reason, none of my music with Chinese artists shows up in that section, and instead ends up in U for "Unknown artist."

LentThem fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 4, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

LentThem posted:

I'd love the ability to tap a song in a playlist and have it play that one instead of some other song.

Oh also, WinPhone 8.1 sorts apps in the All Apps list really strangely. In WP8 when you look at the alphabet index, the Globe symbol is always used for apps with non-English names. In this example, I'll use 虾米 (Xiami in pinyin, a music app).

In 8.1, the Globe section is now empty, and all non-English apps are sorted by letters that wouldn't even exist in the local language. For example, 虾米 shows up under X (for "Xia").

This isn't really a bad thing, because at least it's now sorted better than "dump all non-English apps into the same section together." But then, why is the Globe icon still in the sorting list? It's defunct, and just fills space when it doesn't need to.

Edit: And as an interesting bit of UI consistency, Xbox Music app doesn't even bother with a Globe icon in the album/artist sorting index, and instead uses "..." which is an interesting place to shove non-English titles. Though for some reason, none of my music with Chinese artists shows up in that section, and instead ends up in U for "Unknown artist."

That's weird. For Japanese, the list picker supports Kana selection, so if an title is written in Hiragana or Katakana, it gets sorted under the base character. If it's written in Kanji it gets put under the globe. However this only occurs if you set the default language to Japanese. If it's in english, everything gets put under the globe, as it were.

So I started working on that music app. Not sure how far I'll get, but I do have a basic SQLite database up and running, and an indexer for getting Artists, albums, and tracks. It also pulls information from various music sources: Xbox Music, Deezer, and Last.FM. Now, no matter where you are in the world, you can actually get artist and album information for all of your music! Most of this base code I wrote for the VLC for Windows 8 project, so I just cleaned it up and moved it over.

(This is just to show I have artists in a list view, it's not the final UI. :v:)

I still have a long, long way to go, but it's a start. If anyone wants to do some XAML design or has more feature requests, let me know. Right now my mission is just to do the basics: Make sure music plays correctly and is always indexed right.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 4, 2014

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

When I want to listen to music on my phone, I'm usually on the move, and then I don't have access to wifi. I don't want to spend cellular data on music streaming.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Moved onto a Moto G yesterday. Here are some observations, coming from Windows Phone 8.1 as I am.

1. No Rotate toggle in quick settings :smith:
2. Good overall performance but when loading a game for instance, I can’t alter the volume until I get to the menu screen. My HTC 8X didn't have an issue like that that I can remember.
3. The sheer number of options in Settings is staggering – may be due to my familiarity with Windows Phone over the last few years instead of Android. It's hard to find options at times.
4. Two camera apps? I know Windows Phone has “lenses” you can download, but on the Moto G there are two apps, right beside each other in the app drawer, called Camera. Madness.
5. This is my personal preference, but I prefer vertical scrolling for apps instead of horizontal scrolling. Horizontal arrangement seems a bit visually busy sometimes.
6. Notifications – never thought I’d be able to say this, but I think notifications are better in Windows Phone in this way: if I get an SMS in WP 8.1, if I accidentally clear the notification from the Notification Centre, the Messaging tile still shows unread texts. In Android, none of the icons have a number beside them so I could potentially have an unread text message and, having accidentally cleared the notification, be unaware until I go into the app again.
7. Related to 6 – getting a notification in WP 8.1 lights up the screen briefly and you can tap on the notification banner to access whatever it is the notification wants you to see. On the Moto G, the phone makes a noise but that’s it.
8. I like the way Android can get updates to things like the keyboard via the Play Store. WP would require an OS update.
9. The UI seems a bit inconsistent in place, where some fonts are obviously left behind from previous versions, and menus switch between light and dark depending on what settings you’re looking at. Hardly a huge deal, but noticeable.
10. I don’t think the Android People app can link all the contacts over account types, like Gmail, Outlook, Facebook etc. The People hub is still handy in 8.1 (though it’s been deprecated a bit) if you want to tap someone’s name and then have a look at recent Facebook posts etc. There's maybe a way to do this in Android, but I'm not familiar enough with it yet.
11. The lack of physical home, search and back buttons on the Moto G has not felt problematic.
12. Third party apps are fully featured in Android - WP is always quite some time behind iOS and Android in terms of app features, and sometimes doesn't get them at all. It's nice to feel like a first class citizen now.
13. Typing on the keyboard using swiping seems to require more accuracy on Android than WP. I'll maybe try the Swype keyboard to see how I get on, I'm just using the stock one at the moment.
14. Lack of a Linked Inbox is a bit annoying.

I've not come across anything that has made me regret moving from Windows Phone as such, there are pros and cons to both right now. I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm doing pretty much the same transition, from my 625 to an older Galaxy S3, mainly because of the lack of a few apps. I haven't considered my WP experiment a failure or anything, but much as I'm not a fan of Android, it did feel liberating to not feel like a second class citizen, as you put it.

WP has a lot of promise and I'll hang onto my 625 (because why not, it's a cheapo phone) to keep testing new releases on, but for now I think I'm about to make the switch back.

So far my biggest gripe is not being able to tap the screen to turn on the phone. That's a feature that I love :)

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
No 4th of July deals from Verizon that I can see. Would prefer to pick up the Icon from a Verizon store itself. Bummer. :smith:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Android doesn't handle voice commands over Bluetooth as well as WP, which is odd since I've found the voice recognition to be much better on Android generally. With WP, I could get a text message while driving, have it read out through my earpiece, dictate a reply or call the person, all without touching anything.

Android doesn't even notify you of a text received, unless I'm missing something.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

1. No Rotate toggle in quick settings :smith:
5. This is my personal preference, but I prefer vertical scrolling for apps instead of horizontal scrolling. Horizontal arrangement seems a bit visually busy sometimes.
7. Related to 6 – getting a notification in WP 8.1 lights up the screen briefly and you can tap on the notification banner to access whatever it is the notification wants you to see. On the Moto G, the phone makes a noise but that’s it.
13. Typing on the keyboard using swiping seems to require more accuracy on Android than WP. I'll maybe try the Swype keyboard to see how I get on, I'm just using the stock one at the moment.
14. Lack of a Linked Inbox is a bit annoying.

1. It's in Android L, for phones. Tablets have had it for ages for some reason.

5. 3rd party launchers all pretty much offer this.

7. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lukekorth.screennotifications&hl=en - even lets you pick which apps.

13. Google keyboard's swipe is... not fantastic. But, hey, take your pick of a dozen other good options.

14. K-9 mail does, and I find I prefer it to the google mail clients, generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Does anyone know a decent map program on Windows Phone that will actually let someone find directions but like choose a different path than the one the thing picks by default?

My GF is really annoyed since it keeps trying to plot her through the shittiest busiest freeway in the area.