Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Feels sort of like a projecting low prow, with an overhanging forecastle. Much more nautical that way.

EDIT:

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't think you're the first one to suggest it, but I agree that that would be a very positive change.

Yeah we've definitely discussed it in this thread a few times in the past. IMO I think the JJ Prise is one of the most poorly designed ships in Trek, but the neck part is absolutely the worst part. I get they were trying to make it look different from the old ship, but maaaan what a lazy design.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I love the JJ Enterprise. To understand it's design philosphy, you need look no further than the scene where child-kirk is introduced in Trek09: The enterprise is a space muscle car. If you still don't see it, look at the chrome piloting controls. It is a different asthetic than we're used to in trek, but I think it fits great with new films. It would be a terrible design if it were copy-pasted into TNG or DS9, but hopefully we will never see it in that context.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Snak posted:

I love the JJ Enterprise. To understand it's design philosphy, you need look no further than the scene where child-kirk is introduced in Trek09: The enterprise is a space muscle car. If you still don't see it, look at the chrome piloting controls. It is a different asthetic than we're used to in trek, but I think it fits great with new films. It would be a terrible design if it were copy-pasted into TNG or DS9, but hopefully we will never see it in that context.

That's exactly what Abrams was going for.

Designer John Goodson posted:

It was really interesting working with J.J. for this ship. They gave us a lot of latitude to kind of play with it. They had some specific ideas of what they wanted. He wanted a hot-rod type of vehicle, but they also wanted to preserve the Enterprise kind of look. They gave ILM a tremendous amount of leeway in terms of the design. ... It's got this sweeping line that's kind of giving it this real hot-rod kind of car feel. It's ILM's job to sort of take this and start to flesh this thing out and make it more real and convey the scale and all those things that you need, so it's just a leaping-off point for us. ...

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Ahahah it literally is the answer to someone's midlife crisis, that's loving priceless

Subyng
May 4, 2013
This here is a pretty kicking rad Enterprise design:

from http://mattwileyart.com/portfolio/vintagead.html

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Subyng posted:

That is goddamn awesome. Chrome that poo poo up.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Chrome? No no, beam-reflective coating. Handy in a phaser fight.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Having a full-spectrum reflective surface on your ship does make sense in space. Better than just absorbing everything. Lets you get nice and close to a star.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't think you're the first one to suggest it, but I agree that that would be a very positive change.
Yeah I've seen a lot of that same design change idea and I agree 100%, the deflector protruding that much from the rest of the engineering hull is distracting. Otherwise I like the design a lot, since it blends the original TOS version with the TMP Refit with some modern touches.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Subyng posted:

This is really sexy. This is how you do hot rod.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Aside from the underbite, the thing that bugs me most about the JJPrise is actually the curvey engine pylons. Straight lines give the impression of strength, whereas in shots from behind the ship these ones look like they're wobbly and about to fall off.

Ah well. TMP Refit is the supreme version anyway. She'd hold up as a modern design in a modern film any day.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 5, 2014

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The TMP refit is utterly timeless; it's basically impossible to tell when it was designed and it looked futuristic on film (terrible FX from ST:V notwithstanding) from 1979 to 1991. She's a beautiful lady and we love her. :swoon:

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

As goony as he is, sometimes I think Barclay is the only sane person on the Enterprise. An away mission to check out a derelict ship who's crew has vanished, and is surrounded in magic space poo poo neither sensors or shuttles can get through, and the only way in is by O'brien hacking up the transporters? Dude seems to be the only one on the ship who shows any awareness that this is how your parents end up with a "I regret to inform you that..." letter.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Having a full-spectrum reflective surface on your ship does make sense in space. Better than just absorbing everything. Lets you get nice and close to a star.

But they don't use lasers in Star Trek, they use particle beams, so a reflective surface would be useless :goonsay:

e; well purely from a defensive point of view, reflecting cosmic radiation would be pretty handy I guess

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

As goony as he is, sometimes I think Barclay is the only sane person on the Enterprise.

This is kind of like how most of Wolf's suggestions, which initially sound aggressive, are usually far more logical than those of the rest of the crew. TNG just tends to portray the sane folks as wrong, even in situations when they obviously aren't.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Barlow posted:

This is kind of like how most of Wolf's suggestions, which initially sound aggressive, are usually far more logical than those of the rest of the crew. TNG just tends to portray the sane folks as wrong, even in situations when they obviously aren't.

Picard always acting as if raising shields could be considered a hostile act always makes me go :psyduck:

Considering the logical ramifications of transporters, cloaking devices, and all sorts of other space stuff, having your shields down seems completely reckless.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You'd think there'd be some low-grade shield on one hundred percent of the time. Enough to absorb a single shot or a transporter beam.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Subyng posted:

I'm one of the people that absolutely loves how the neck is far back on the JJprise and hate all suggestions to move it back to the front. The positioning of the elements of the JJprise makes the design feel more balanced.

Wait what? Get your inner ears checked because JJprize is awfully unbalanced.

Like this isn't even a subjective thing, it just isn't.

Besides, the fans already made a better version.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Who the gently caress cares about balance in space? What's it going to do? Tip forward and start sinking?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Captain, the thread seems to be caught in some sort of.. temporal flux.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Watching Future Imperfect. I love that the little alien guy in charge of Riker's simulation made his dead wife somebody he met in a holodeck dating sim. "Your wife, Captain Riker... Princess Zelda."

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Vagabundo posted:

Who the gently caress cares about balance in space? What's it going to do? Tip forward and start sinking?

Aesthetics drat it. What's the point in running an intergalactic military organization if you cant look good whilst doing so?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vagabundo posted:

We're critiquing the design, not the drat engineering. There's such a thing as visual balance.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Nutsngum posted:

Wait what? Get your inner ears checked because JJprize is awfully unbalanced.

Like this isn't even a subjective thing, it just isn't.

Besides, the fans already made a better version.

It looks like a Star Trek: Online ship, with the rectangular hard edges and greebles and whatnot.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DrSunshine posted:

It looks like a Star Trek: Online ship, with the rectangular hard edges and greebles and whatnot.

New-era STO ships are smooth, white, and curved.

But yeah, I don't really like that design up there, it's all... Star Wars-y. Gritty.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I am not being facetious one bit when I say that ship should be hauled away as garbage. It looks like a junker sitting in a shady no-name dealership on the outskirts of town.

Cousin Gaila's Used Ships! "That's no moon... it's a bargain!"

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vagabundo posted:

Well it was underwater in STID.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
"How many atmospheres can the ship withstand?"

"Well, it's a space ship, so I'd say anywhere between zero and one."

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I am not being facetious one bit when I say that ship should be hauled away as garbage. It looks like a junker sitting in a shady no-name dealership on the outskirts of town.

Cousin Gaila's Used Ships! "That's no moon... it's a bargain!"

"What a piece of junk!"

"She'll do point-five past light speed."

Haha. That means that the Millennium Falcon can only go at Warp 1.5! :jerkbag:

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Haha. That means that the Millennium Falcon can only go at Warp 1.5! :jerkbag:
Or 1.5c, which is Warp 1.14.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Crosscontaminant posted:

Oh yeah, because of the logarithmic scale, right? I'd forgotten about that. :doh:

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Crosscontaminant posted:

Oh boy here we go

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
WE WERE ALL THINKING IT

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
There's a completely separate Star Wars system for rating ships where 0.0 is infinite velocity in hyperspace :goonsay:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

WE WERE ALL THINKING IT

No I wasn't! :ninja:

Subyng
May 4, 2013
The Kelvin is also the single best looking Fed ship in Star Trek history.

Look at that awesome thing.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 5, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Subyng posted:

The Kelvin is also the single best looking Fed ship in Star Trek history.

Concept art from early in development:

And while we're at the concept art

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 5, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Concept art from early in development:

And while we're at the concept art

I hardly recognized it without all the chrome and lens flares! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Subyng posted:

Weird, you misspelt Excelsior, and then you even posted a picture of some hideous loving abortion. Are you feeling okay? You don't have the macrovirus, do you?

• Locked thread