Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

T1g4h posted:

Get Spintires, it's well worth the $30. I've been having a blast taking an 8x8 MTVR and just driving through rivers :v:

I played the beta version of Spintires, and it was pretty fun, but the lack of damage modeling kinda turned me off of it.
Plus in Spintires I could never do this:

And besides, where else can I get the Reliant Robin experience, without any of the actual hazards of driving a real one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I kind of learned on a friend's dad's XJ-S when I was 12, then forgot and had to do it over again on the Saabaru. I spent 20 minutes or so after buying the car practicing finding the engagement point, then drove to a parking lot and spent another 40 figuring the rest out. Going between that car and the Miata is funny, the clutch is SO much heavier on the Saabaru and I look like I'm learning again when I go back to it after extensive time in the Miata.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

piss boner posted:

Happy 4th, jerks.

This isn't getting enough love.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Got invited to a party in the presidential suite at the Marriott downtown, overlooking the river and the blues festival that's going this weekend.

Waiting for the fireworks display to start, should be soon, it's starting to get dark now.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 5, 2014

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Corvette museum had their fireworks yesterday. Decent, but I dunno why they couldn't wait til the 4th. On another note, getting hammered on cheap kentucky whiskey in celebration of our independence... and the fact I have to work on a Liberty tomorrow :patriot:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I found my ideal truck on craigslist today while bored at work... On one hand, I wonder what's wrong with it, but on the other, it's nice to know that they're available and somewhat cheaply, too.

$2800 for a 95 F350 (I'd take an F250) 7.3L Diesel, crew cab, long wheelbase, 4wd, manual transmission. It needs some interior work, and I bet the transmission or something else is wrong with it for it to go so cheap, but man, that's the truck I want. If I only had to have one truck, I'd take that one hands down (and I'd get a cheap Civic or Corolla as a DD).

Too bad I can't get one right now. Maybe in a few years though; have to have something to haul my (future) kids and my (future) pontoon boat around :v:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Elmnt80 posted:

I have an honest question for those of you that drive manuals. When you bought your first car with a stick shift, how much experience did you have driving it? Also, did you drive it off yourself stalling the whole way or have someone else pick it up to avoid horrible embarrassment?
I was supposed to learn in the little 320i that I now own but the injectors Dad ordered didn't show up in time. Instead I learned in the 911 with a heavy clutch that was easy to stall. After stalling it 20+ times Dad told me to give it gas and as soon as it started to engage floor it and drop the clutch. My first successful burnout and launch as well as start in a manual. Then we drove around country back roads for another few hours working in the finer points. I'm still mad he sold that car (78 911, 54k miles) but it was a couple years before I graduated and I couldn't afford it :(

Since learning I've taught both my brothers, most of my cousins, brother's fiance, hpde students, several friends and girlfriends. If I'm feeling brave stupid I'll teach them in my TDI since you can pull away from a stop at idle in any gear if you're smooth enough. Can usually have them pretty comfortable after 30-45 minutes in a parking lot.

I also discovered http://www.mobile.de/?lang=en last night...not good. Talking with one of the customers in Berlin Thursday he would like to import an old muscle car and I would like to import lots of stuff. This could be fun :getin:

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 5, 2014

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Got invited to a party in the presidential suite at the Marriott downtown, overlooking the river and the blues festival that's going this weekend.

Waiting for the fireworks display to start, should be soon, it's starting to get dark now.

I love the fact that even though I didn't know you were in Portland, and I haven't walked that waterfront in 20 or so years, I still instantly recognized that photo as Portland.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

LloydDobler posted:

I love the fact that even though I didn't know you were in Portland, and I haven't walked that waterfront in 20 or so years, I still instantly recognized that photo as Portland.

My wife says downtown sometimes reminds her of her childhood in Pittsburgh - lots of hills and bridges and water.

Fireworks ended up being pretty awesome

:911:

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 5, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

meatpimp posted:

So much this. Don't be a doormat, STR.

I talked to the GM and another asst mgr after I clocked out, filled them in on it, and said that the other guy... probably won't be liking me after the way I ripped into him.

They both asked him a lot of questions today regarding last night. And nobody was happy with the answers they got from him (our front of house manager filled me in on a bit of it). My GM wants him to GTFO.

Asst tried to ask how I was doing today, I gave him a nasty look for a response. Not a word was exchanged between us all day.

(er, also, I keep saying today even tho it's 5am... I just got home from work, what a clusterfuck tonight was, but for different reasons - at least the GM broke out some Crown for us).

Elmnt80 posted:

I have an honest question for those of you that drive manuals. When you bought your first car with a stick shift, how much experience did you have driving it? Also, did you drive it off yourself stalling the whole way or have someone else pick it up to avoid horrible embarrassment?

I'd driven stick twice - once in an ex-gf's 91 Nissan Hardbody, once in a friend's early 70s VW Bug.. on a hill.. coming out of a busy mall parking lot.

I knew the basics, but when I went and bought my first manual, I had the owner drive me around in it a bit, told him I wasn't good at stick and I'd be learning on the way home. Stalled it twice pulling away from his house, stalled it once or twice more on the way home, then just started working on shifting smoothly. Took a couple of weeks to get the smoothness down.

Every time I drive someone else's manual (or test drive one), I either rev it to the moon on the first launch, stall it, or do a burnout. Every clutch is different, even on otherwise identical cars, due to the way they've worn. The Ion's clutch took the most getting used to, but not because of the clutch - because the throttle is DBW, and a little laggy. It also has an insanely heavy flywheel. I still have a rough shift with it now and then, and I've put 30k miles on it.

piss boner posted:

Happy 4th, jerks.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Driving in Germany = awesome
Riding a bicycle in Germany = haha gently caress that

Decided to borrow a bike from the hotel since I'm planning on heading out a bit farther and don't feel like driving. I haven't been on a bike in several years and between the narrow streets and being generally lost this is nuts. Now lunch and a drink to calm my nerves. Doesn't help it's 80 degrees and humid so I'm sweating my rear end off.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 5, 2014

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

You're worrying too much. I had about five years of actual stick driving under my belt when I bought my MS3 and I still stalled it coming off the lot.

Though to be fair the MS3 has a oval office of a clutch. Feels like a quarter inch of actual engagement point on the pedal travel. Though somehow I never stalled mine during the test drive or taking it home, just a handful of times of the next couple weeks. Maybe once or twice a year sine then.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

opengl128 posted:

Though to be fair the MS3 has a oval office of a clutch. Feels like a quarter inch of actual engagement point on the pedal travel. Though somehow I never stalled mine during the test drive or taking it home, just a handful of times of the next couple weeks. Maybe once or twice a year sine then.

Fine, but I don't care how much time you have with a stick - a lot of it is learning your particular vehicle. Hop into one you've never driven and it's likely to make you look like a 16-year-old all over again.

The first one I test drove was even worse, it was drat near new. Clutch grabbed practically right off the floor and I think it took me three tries just to get out of the parking space.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

IOwnCalculus posted:

Fine, but I don't care how much time you have with a stick - a lot of it is learning your particular vehicle. Hop into one you've never driven and it's likely to make you look like a 16-year-old all over again.

I did a little burnout in front of the seller of my Audi when I was test driving it the first time. Turns out my tried and tested method of revving the poo poo out of the engine and letting out the clutch quickly only works well on a BMW M50 with blown VANOS seals.

On a turbo four with a super light clutch that just makes tire smoke.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Funny how the one of the easiest ways to start in a manual is a racing start. It's just meant to be :allears:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Wife and kids went a state over for some camping. meatpimp is alone with the only project being changing the front hub bearing assemblies on the E39. Gonna have my good buddy wiser and his partner jimmy beam over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpzqQst-Sg8

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Elmnt80 posted:

Late to the party but the very first time I drove a standard was in an old C10 with a column shifter and clutch pedal so heavy I felt like I had to put all my weight on it to get it down. Just like everyone else, I spun out and hauled rear end. Nowadays, whenever I drive someone else's car that has a standard, I always keep it in neutral and pump the clutch a few times to get a feel for it. Then it's clutch down, first, ease off the clutch until I feel the engagement point and ease on the gas. When I test drove the G35 I bought, the guy told me I was the first person to get it moving without stalling it out. Doesn't surprise me though since it's pretty easy to not feel the engagement point the first few times you drive one.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I learned stick on an 80 Chevette.

Nothing special or interesting about the car or the learning experience.

82 911sc probably had the heaviest clutch that I have ever used.

Ford Aspire probably had the worst shifter.

93 Achieva probably had the worst clutch I ever drove. It engaged about 1 cm from the top of the travel and felt completely disconnected.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

This isn't getting enough love.

I went and dusted off the jorts.

some texas redneck posted:

They both asked him a lot of questions today regarding last night. And nobody was happy with the answers they got from him (our front of house manager filled me in on a bit of it). My GM wants him to GTFO.

Then maybe you should ask why you can't fill that position since clearly you know how operations work. :ssh:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I learned stick in a Golf TDI, during my driving lessons. Because gently caress taking driving lessons in an automatic, that doesn't teach you jack poo poo. (Smug Euro-mode over)

Going from a torquey TDI to a wheezy carbed late-80s 1.3 Corolla took a little while to get used to.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't think that leaving my back seat outside for a couple months would be a problem.

...so i spent a half hour vinegaring and pressure washing the spider city out of the fucker.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I learned manual in a Maxima with no hydraulic clutch fluid and a 3 foot pedal throw with almost no engagement point. Then I got my car with a blown clutch that would shudder violently under any burn. Also, reverse didn't work.

I've only driven one other manual car, my friend's Scion FR-S. He watched me drive my car and was blown away by my ~10 inches of throw between gears. I still think he's crazy. My transmission is normal and adequate, thank you very much. :colbert:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Ugh the engine builder needs to hurry up.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I hate tracing fuel smells with no visible leaks. I imagine its either the top of the tank or the fill valve. Lets hope its the fill valve, other wise this JJJJAAAAAGGGG is getting a race cell.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It never fails.

Now not only have I broken 3 bellhousings no one else breaks, the bellhousing I pick up for a project for free (normally sell for 275 bucks) turns out to have been broken and welded back together. Welding is great, but it is warped to poo poo and doesn't fit the back of the motor anymore. My guess is it was welded clamped to a table, not bolted to the engine/a junk block, so the broken piece wasn't aligned right.

Oh well, I will use it for mockup and then buy the $650-750 lakewood blowproof I should probably have in this project anyways. No real loss, drove 20 miles extra yesterday, don't really care.

I just have the worst luck with bellhousings. Dammit.

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 5, 2014

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I learned manual on a 1984 BMW 528e in high school. That thing had an engagement point of less than 10 degrees from nothing to full grab I kid you not. Equally amusing was the shifter linkage idler arm bit had bushings so worn that you would try starting in 3rd regularly, and trying to get into reverse was laughable as the stick was pulled over nearly to your crotch. It did force me to be a smooth shifting driver though. The clutch in my Speed6 was so grabby and light feeling, coupled with the turbo usually got some pretty jerky movements any time someone else would drive it. When I sold it I would go for a ride along with people to test drive it. I would drive it first so they knew it was nothing wrong with the car but everyone that drove it. All but one person stalled it out at least once.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I learned on a 1983 Toyota Pickup with a nearly non-existent clutch and no 2nd gear synchro. It also took all of my upper body strength to actually get the gear stick to move, as this was not long after it was removed from a decade and a half in a farmer's yard in Whatcom country, WA and there was a bit of a rust and algae problem.

My E30 is the first manual I've actually owned, and I only stalled out three times driving it the mile to my house.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

82 911sc probably had the heaviest clutch that I have ever used.
Old Porsches with super heavy clutches and long throw horse cock shifters. Ah what a car.

So I either had a very interesting evening or some people were playing the gently caress with the idiot American game.

Found a cocktail bar with great drinks at reasonable prices where I can sit outside and smoke cigars a few weeks ago. Headed there tonight after dinner, side note Germans don't get Mexican food. Anyway place is full and all tables are taken, I'm at a back corner outside downwind so I don't bother anyone with smoke even though everyone smokes. Have three open chairs at my table and three fairly attractive women walk up after talking to another table for a couple minutes. Since my German is poo poo I thought they asked if they could have the chairs so I said sure, they were asking if they could join me. Whatever no big deal.

After a while talking with them (yay Google translate and them knowing some English) it turns out they are having a few drinks before going to work. I ask what job allows you to show up after a few drinks...prostitutes. So had a few drinks with some prostitutes. I bought one round of shots, they each bought one so we all got good and buzzed. Eventually they all jumped into a Porsche Panamera and paid for all the drinks and some appetizers. Overall a good night.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 5, 2014

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ive been driving manual for 14 months and I learned on a mustang gt I bought without being able to drive. Luckily my brother was able to drive it home for me, and he taught me in a couple hours the next day. Its only 260bhp but it had a fast bite and I was scared of the clutch. We're buddies now. Though I want to upgrade to a short throw at some point.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Worst clutch I've ever dealt with was a customer's 370Z. Had a really high bite point, but also a really weird spring curve. Very weak at the bottom (I assume to make it easy to keep the clutch held,) but got like 5x stronger going up right as you hit the engagement point. Made it extremely difficult to pull in; I stalled the loving thing like 20 times trying to get it lined up and on the lift.

I'm sure it's a great setup for racing/drag launches, but absolutely sucks for driving and maneuvering at parking lot speeds.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

When I started doing tires (basically my first real job) I didn't know how to drive stick, and after a while I got sick of having to grab somebody every time I needed to get a manual vehicle into a bay. I started with easy ones like '90s Civics and Mazdas, letting my fear of having to buy a customer a new clutch regulate my feet, and it must have worked well because I bought my first manual and with that experience alone I took to it like a fish in water. I've only owned two slushboxes since (one because it was that or a bus pass and the other because it was too good a deal to pass up).

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I learned on a 2001 tiburon that my parents financed for me while I lived out of state. I didn't have a car at the time, so I flew down with my girlfriend and drove around doing Florida things (stalling it a handful of times) for a couple days. Then drove it back to Virginia, driving the whole way my self because she didn't drive stick. Fun times.

I just had that car scrapped and I am still bummed about it. It was a lovely little Korean celica wannabe, but it was mine. I was dirt poor most of the time I owned it and it tolerated my ham fisted lack of preventative maintence pretty damned well.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Just took a four hour nap on a yoga mat, with a box for a pillow.

My right hip is loving killing me, and my neck is kind of tweaked, but drat if that wasn't a good nap.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Power napped on a hardwood floor with a sweat shirt pillow a few times. I can recommend it.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I was doing my trailing arm bushings and took a five minute power nap on cold concrete using the rubber handle covering of my hammer as my pillow.

Is this like an Actual Thing? :raise:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I fell asleep once under the Subaru and somebody came by and woke me up to be sure that I hadn't been crushed or something. Laying carpet down while working on cars has definitely changed my outlook on the whole endeavor.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I get an hour for lunch at work, but most days don't have the money for food or just don't feel like eating. The stock-room (where I work out of) isn't air-conditioned and gets up to about 88-91f right around lunch time. Except for the back room, that is built into the hill. It stays around 78f or so, and nobody is around during lunch so I just lay on the concrete floor with a fan blowing on me and a packing blanket for a pillow. Bliss.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
So this morning I discovered https://maps.google.com/locationhistory. You can look at everywhere you've been if you use pretty much any Google service on your phone. There's even a play button on the bottom left corner which really should be accompanied with Indiana Jones music. I spent an hour and made a map of everywhere I've been in the last 12 months with the data:

http://imgur.com/gallery/L79qf/
Which would be pretty sweet for road trips/trip reports, no?

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 5, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

The first one I test drove was even worse, it was drat near new. Clutch grabbed practically right off the floor and I think it took me three tries just to get out of the parking space.

One time I got an Impreza loaner and it was sooo easy to drive. Perfectly linear engagement and easy. Like my old Mazda Protege. So I wouldn't say every time you drive a new vehicle. If they handed me the keys to an STi though, who knows how that would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MonkeyNutZ posted:

So this morning I discovered https://maps.google.com/locationhistory. You can look at everywhere you've been if you use pretty much any Google service on your phone. There's even a play button on the bottom left corner which really should be accompanied with Indiana Jones music. I spent an hour and made a map of everywhere I've been in the last 12 months with the data:

http://imgur.com/gallery/L79qf/
Which would be pretty sweet for road trips/trip reports, no?

Noone will ever use this technology for nefarious purposes. How could they? It just seems so unlikely and infeasible.

• Locked thread